PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs pass on Heisman winner White

Donger
05-03-2005, 01:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/8437615

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (May 2, 2005) -- Former Heisman Trophy winner Jason White wasn't offered a contract by the Kansas City Chiefs following a three-day rookie camp.

White, who went undrafted out of Oklahoma, got the news May 1 from coach Dick Vermeil. White was competing with seventh-round pick James Kilian of Tulsa for a possible spot with the Chiefs, who already have three veteran quarterbacks on the roster.

"What I recommended him to do, if he really wants to play in the NFL, is to go to the Arena League, sharpen his skills and compete," Vermeil said. "I think he's aware of where he is and what he needs to do."

White threw for 8,012 yards and 81 touchdowns at Oklahoma, winning the 2003 Heisman and taking the Sooners to consecutive national championship games in 2003 and '04.

However, many scouts felt his arm was not strong enough for the NFL. He also has had major reconstructive surgery on both knees.

siberian khatru
05-03-2005, 01:04 PM
"What I recommended him to do, if he really wants to play in the NFL, is to go to the Arena League, sharpen his skills and compete," Vermeil said. "I think he's aware of where he is and what he needs to do."

DV must've said that before White told him to take that idea and shove it.

Frazod
05-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Maybe he can get a job working for Gino Toretta, doing whatever it is Gino Toretta does. :D

htismaqe
05-03-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure White could play in Arena ball either.

tomahawk kid
05-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure White could play in Arena ball either.

I don't think so either. It seems to me that his delivery is pretty slow and deliberate.

Not good if you want to play in the AFL.