PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Alien kidnapping.

Rain Man
05-03-2005, 05:07 PM
If aliens kidnapped you and put you in a zoo with other earth animals, which scenario would you prefer?

1. You're placed in a "wild enclosure" in their "temperate forest world" exhibit, which includes a variety of species of plants and animals native to North America. You'll have to catch what you eat, make your own clothes, avoid large predators, etc. Assume that the wild enclosure is 20 miles by 20 miles and contains one bear and one mountain lion that are higher on the food chain than you, along with all sorts of other creatures, bugs, plants, etc.

2. You're placed in a "natural environment enclosure" that simulates a two-room Manhattan apartment. It's got a TV loop that shows 100 different TV episodes over and over, a radio that plays 10 songs, and 40 random books. Edit: You get hamburgers and salads delivered daily, and once a year on Halloween they give you a pumpkin.

teedubya
05-03-2005, 05:09 PM
I just hope that whoever abducted me, didnt continue to look for other people to abduct.

Its not like I would go out looking for another alien to abduct me... if I was already abducted.

Its just not proper alien etiquette. Gol'darn it.

Marcellus
05-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh so that's what happened! I wondered why I keep seeing the same old shows and hearing the same old music.

It all makes sense now...........................

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Natural environment.

Although it would be fun trying to see if I could survive in the wild. I'd fashion a crude spear out of a large tree bough.

Rain Man
05-03-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm torn. I would prefer to go the Manhattan route, but after ten years I'd go absolutely nuts. Even though I might starve or get eaten, I'd probably have to go the forest route just because it would be more stimulating to the senses.

eazyb81
05-03-2005, 05:24 PM
So there are only a total of 100 episodes of a TV show? Is this 1 TV show, or a couple shows?

If you get a weekly supply of pot too this would be dream job.

jspchief
05-03-2005, 05:27 PM
Wild enclosure. I've always thought I'd be able to handle myself pretty well in the wild, and would like the chance to find out. The only real fear I would have would be becoming malnourished from not enough fruits and veggies. I'd do fine in the meat department, but I'd be concerned with eating any plants other than ones I knew were safe.

eazyb81
05-03-2005, 05:29 PM
What meat would you guys plan on killing? It's hard enough to kill animals with guns, I would imagine it would be pretty damn hard to kill them with rocks and spears unless you are Grizzly Adams.

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Also, this thread makes me think of:

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tvgraphics/st-menagerie.jpg

http://www.stdimension.org/Guide/sttos/tos001.jpg

jspchief
05-03-2005, 05:32 PM
What meat would you guys plan on killing? It's hard enough to kill animals with guns, I would imagine it would be pretty damn hard to kill them with rocks and spears unless you are Grizzly Adams.You could drop me in the wild naked without a single tool or weapon and I think I could have deer cooked over fire for dinner that night. I'm absolutely certain I could kill a deer with nothing more than primative tools. Anyone that has bow hunted would agree I think.

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Just dig yourself a stake pit....

FloridaChief
05-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Also, this thread makes me think of:

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tvgraphics/st-menagerie.jpg

http://www.stdimension.org/Guide/sttos/tos001.jpg

Heh...

http://www.allyourtrekarebelongto.us/empathgem.jpg

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Heh...

http://www.allyourtrekarebelongto.us/empathgem.jpg

Over my head...what's that?

Stinger
05-03-2005, 05:48 PM

That .... well that is what we of the male heterosexual persuasion call a lady or female ... man, you really arn't good at this are you.

:p

FloridaChief
05-03-2005, 05:49 PM

That was me lamely pointing out the simularities between the ST aliens you posted and the aliens from a different ST episode..."The Empath"...

http://www.ponilla.org/Nimoy/StarTrek/STEmpath_16.jpg

Hey. They can't all be gold.... :(

Rain Man
05-03-2005, 05:57 PM
So there are only a total of 100 episodes of a TV show? Is this 1 TV show, or a couple shows?

If you get a weekly supply of pot too this would be dream job.

Assume that it's the NBC lineup for the week of August 18th, 1984.

eazyb81
05-03-2005, 06:00 PM
That would be cool, I could handle watching some shows I haven't seen in awhile. Family Ties, Who's the Boss, Alf.....good times.

Would any alcohol or pot be provided? That is a crucial question.

Rain Man
05-03-2005, 06:05 PM
The aliens are replicating a Manhattan apartment. Therefore, I guess you would have a bottle of gin and a small line of cocaine once per month.

4th and Long
05-03-2005, 06:07 PM
And you call yourself a sci-fi fan!!!!!!!!!????????

That's Gem from the original Trek episode, The Empath. Season 3, Episode 063. Originally aired 12-06-68.

Synopsis

The U.S.S. Enterprise goes to pick up research personnel on the second planet of the star Minara. While Kirk, Spock and McCoy are on the surface, a radiation storm endangers the starship and Scotty takes the Enterprise out of orbit, sure that the planet's atmosphere will protect the landing party from radiation.

The three officers find themselves in an underground chamber shared with a mute humanoid which McCoy names "Gem." Two other humanoids, different from Gem, appear to them. They tell the men they are Vians, and take Kirk as a test subject to torture. He is assured, however, that it isn't he who is being tested. Gem, who turns out to be a fully functional empath, heals Kirk's wounds. The Vians tell the captain he must choose one of his men to be the next text subject. Each man volunteers, but McCoy wins, managing to anesthetize both Spock and Kirk, and is taken away by the Vians.

When he is returned to them, McCoy is near death. Gem attempts to cure him, but is frightened by the severity of his injuries. The Vians explain to them that they are testing Gem to see if her people are worthy as a species to be saved from their doomed sun. They are testing Gem's capacity for compassion and self-sacrifice. Overcoming her fears, Gem heals McCoy and the Vians decide that her species is to be saved. The officers are returned unharmed to the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Oh Goddamn! I'm a geek too!!! http://img116.echo.cx/img116/6931/1zhelp7ol.gif

Rain Man
05-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Oh Goddamn! I'm a geek too!!!

(Punch)

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 06:12 PM
And you call yourself a sci-fi fan!!!!!!!!!????????

That's Gem from the original Trek episode, The Empath. Season 3, Episode 063. Originally aired 12-06-68.

Synopsis

The U.S.S. Enterprise goes to pick up research personnel on the second planet of the star Minara. While Kirk, Spock and McCoy are on the surface, a radiation storm endangers the starship and Scotty takes the Enterprise out of orbit, sure that the planet's atmosphere will protect the landing party from radiation.

The three officers find themselves in an underground chamber shared with a mute humanoid which McCoy names "Gem." Two other humanoids, different from Gem, appear to them. They tell the men they are Vians, and take Kirk as a test subject to torture. He is assured, however, that it isn't he who is being tested. Gem, who turns out to be a fully functional empath, heals Kirk's wounds. The Vians tell the captain he must choose one of his men to be the next text subject. Each man volunteers, but McCoy wins, managing to anesthetize both Spock and Kirk, and is taken away by the Vians.

When he is returned to them, McCoy is near death. Gem attempts to cure him, but is frightened by the severity of his injuries. The Vians explain to them that they are testing Gem to see if her people are worthy as a species to be saved from their doomed sun. They are testing Gem's capacity for compassion and self-sacrifice. Overcoming her fears, Gem heals McCoy and the Vians decide that her species is to be saved. The officers are returned unharmed to the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Oh Goddamn! I'm a geek too!!! http://img116.echo.cx/img116/6931/1zhelp7ol.gif

Sorry, I haven't seen all of TOS episodes. I wasn't born until 1981, you know? I only know the highlights, i.e. The Cage.

4th and Long
05-03-2005, 06:17 PM
(Punch)
(Ouchies)

4th and Long
05-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Sorry, I haven't seen all of TOS episodes. I wasn't born until 1981, you know? I only know the highlights, i.e. The Cage.
Tell Mom and Dad you want the series on DVD for Christmas so I don't have to keep explaining these things to you.

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Tell Mom and Dad you want the series on DVD for Christmas so I don't have to keep explaining these things to you.

1. My family doesn't celebrate xmas.

2. I wouldn't watch them all anyway.

3. Oh who are we kidding, I probably would.

4. I'd rather have the TNG series on DVD, though.

FallingAlice
05-03-2005, 06:24 PM
If aliens kidnapped you and put you in a zoo with other earth animals, which scenario would you prefer?

2. You're placed in a "natural environment enclosure" that simulates a two-room Manhattan apartment. It's got a TV loop that shows 100 different TV episodes over and over, a radio that plays 10 songs, and 40 random books. Edit: You get hamburgers and salads delivered daily, and once a year on Halloween they give you a pumpkin.

Sad to say, it sounds surprisingly a great deal like my life as it is. Especially the pumpkin.

Add in the line of coke and bottle of Gin once a month and...frankly...there's no contest.

4th and Long
05-03-2005, 06:24 PM
1. My family doesn't celebrate xmas.
Fine. Birthday then. Yeeeesh.
2. I wouldn't watch them all anyway.
Liar.
3. Oh who are we kidding, I probably would.
BUSTED!
4. I'd rather have the TNG series on DVD, though.
Me too.

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Fine. Birthday then. Yeeeesh.

Them either.

4th and Long
05-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Them either.
JUST ASK FOR THE GODDAMN THINGS THEN!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

Rain Man
05-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Them either.

Spring solstice with a chicken sacrifice?

That reminds me. I went to Nepal many years ago, and we were wandering around Kathmandu with a guide. He showed us this little courtyard where they do the annual spring sacrifice of a bull or water buffalo or something. He was all stoked up about it, and it was like the inside of a slaughterhouse - dried blood literally all over the walls, and for some reason there was a big string of intestine hung over the door like Christmas garland. Quite festive.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
#1, a 2 room apartment wouldn't make throwing poo at the glass an option

4th and Long
05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
If I ever get out of here, I'm going to Kathmandu.

Phobia
05-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Keep your mountain lions and TV shows, I just want to know where the boobies and vaginas are located.