PDA

View Full Version : mp3 players...

G-MONEY
05-03-2005, 09:02 PM
I am getting ready to take a trip and was going to purchase some CDs for the ride however I thought it might be cheaper to just get an Mp3 player. I am kind of clueless when it comes to these things. What do I need in order to download songs? And it costs like $2 per song right?

jspchief
05-03-2005, 09:07 PM
You can get songs for .99 per song at itunes

Pants
05-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Actually, I still prefer CD players that play both CD's and MP3 CD's. They are much cheaper and you can still listen to free music by downloading new MP3's (without having to give up on the old CD's).

Hammock Parties
05-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Fug paying for music, that's all I have to say.

Dunit35
05-03-2005, 09:30 PM
just download a good music thing on net..then download a good burning system that will make cd's into MP3 cd's..I use Nero...I got an mp3 player in my truck works great too...the tought part for me was finding enough songs to fill cd...I had 90 songs on cd and it was only like 1/2 full if that..

G-MONEY
05-03-2005, 09:36 PM
can someone give me a link to somewhere that will give me more info. on these Mp3/CD players. Like I said I am clueless when it comes to these things. So what exactly is the difference between those and regular mp3 players?

Pants
05-03-2005, 09:39 PM
can someone give me a link to somewhere that will give me more info. on these Mp3/CD players. Like I said I am clueless when it comes to these things. So what exactly is the difference between those and regular mp3 players?

MP3 players - you have to connect the player to your PC and transfer the files (mp3's) from the computer to the player. There is no media.

MP3 CD player - you burn mp3's on a CD and then put the CD into the player. A CD holds around 750MBs, an average mp3 song is 2-3 MB's. You do the math.

jspchief
05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
MP3 players - you have to connect the player to your PC and transfer the files (mp3's) from the computer to the player. There is no media.

MP3 CD player - you burn mp3's on a CD and then put the CD into the player. A CD holds around 750MBs, an average mp3 song is 2-3 MB's. You do the math.One upside of an actual MP3 player is size. The biggest MP3 players are half the size of CD player. And the top quality MP3 players hold a hell of a lot more than 750 MBs.

Pants
05-03-2005, 09:46 PM
One upside of an actual MP3 player is size. The biggest MP3 players are half the size of CD player. And the top quality MP3 players hold a hell of a lot more than 750 MBs.

Yeah, size and coolness are definatelly the pros. As are organization and ease of use. Price, however, is a major con.

jspchief
05-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Price, however, is a major con.Yep. The good ones are expensive. I have an Ipod mini and a 4.5GB Rio, and they were both well over $300.

The Bad Guy
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I was always confused about the MP3/CD changer that's in my fiancee's car.

Do I just burn a data disc with all the Mp3s on it and then that will play in her cd player?

Pants
05-03-2005, 10:00 PM

Do I just burn a data disc with all the Mp3s on it and then that will play in her cd player?

Yeah.

wutamess
05-03-2005, 11:22 PM
I have a 256 RCA Lyra mp3 player I paid $80 on the net for.

Most mp3 players are expandable and I was lucky enough to have an extra 256mb sd card laying around.
So I have 512MB of listening pleasure.

Rausch
05-03-2005, 11:29 PM
I'd recomend looking around, doing your research, and finding the best player for your (price vs. performance.)

But then I'm a guy who is a big believer in paying for name brand and top shelf electronics.

mcan
05-04-2005, 12:46 AM
Price, however, is a major con.

:shake:
There are ways of getting these things for free ya know...
(cough cough) check signature (cough cough)

ILChief
05-04-2005, 05:19 AM
I've got a 512MB iPod Shuffle. It was $99. It holds about 130 songs. songs are 99 cents each from itunes. I love it

Kyle401
05-04-2005, 07:37 AM
I have a 1 GB flash memory Sandisk (~$120) and my wife has a 4 GB iPod mini (~$200). I bought the Sandisk off ebay sealed in the box and the iPod directly from the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?iPodStore=yes). We use our players mostly at the gym.

There are two major types of storage for MP3 players, Flash memory and rotating hard disk. Flash memory players use similar memory to a digital camera memory stick/card. Flash memory players are generally a little more robust, and can take some abuse. Rotating hard disk players are more comparable to your computer. These players can skip (like a CD player) although many have 20 minutes or more of anti-skip protection. Rotating hard disk players (up to 60 GB) can have much larger memory capacity than flash memory players which are pretty much 1 GB and under.

You can download music from iTunes which is Apple's music sales system, or from Walmart.com. Both are comparable on price (~$1/song). If you use iTunes with a non-Apple player, you will have to burn your music to a CD and then rip that CD to generate an MP3 file. Apple's proprietary file format (M4P) is copy protected and can not be readily converted to MP3 format using any software that I am aware of. You can tranfer your existing music CD's to your MP3 player after using a music player (Musicmatch, Realplayer, Winamp, etc.) to record or rip the music in MP3 format.

Edubs
05-04-2005, 07:57 AM

Yes, most CD/MP3 players can read up to 3 or so directories deep. You can burn a big disc of MP3's and orginize them in folders on the disc. The MP3 player should be able to browse through the folders and choose the music you want to play. You can get alot more music on a disc using MP3 format obviously.

I own the RCA Lyra 40g but it is a honker. I got the thing almost 3 years ago and things have progressed alot since then. It's very hard to beat the iPOD size and UI. I really have my eye on the new 60g iPOD. I love having all my music right at my finger tips. I also take my boom box on vacations and hook my MP3 player up to the box.......got all my music right there without having to lug around all my CD's. I am an gadget junky though.......just got my new PSP......F-ing SWEEEEET!

Lzen
05-04-2005, 08:10 AM
I have a 1 GB flash memory Sandisk (~$120) and my wife has a 4 GB iPod mini (~$200). I bought the Sandisk off ebay sealed in the box and the iPod directly from the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?iPodStore=yes). We use our players mostly at the gym.

There are two major types of storage for MP3 players, Flash memory and rotating hard disk. Flash memory players use similar memory to a digital camera memory stick/card. Flash memory players are generally a little more robust, and can take some abuse. Rotating hard disk players are more comparable to your computer. These players can skip (like a CD player) although many have 20 minutes or more of anti-skip protection. Rotating hard disk players (up to 20 GB) can have much larger memory capacity than flash memory players which are pretty much 1 GB and under.

You can download music from iTunes which is Apple's music sales system, or from Walmart.com. Both are comparable on price (~$1/song). If you use iTunes with a non-Apple player, you will have to burn your music to a CD and then rip that CD to generate an MP3 file. Apple's proprietary file format (M4P) is copy protected and can not be readily converted to MP3 format using any software that I am aware of. You can tranfer your existing music CD's to your MP3 player after using a music player (Musicmatch, Realplayer, Winamp, etc.) to record or rip the music in MP3 format.

Very good info. I had to do that burn the iTunes to a cd and then rip to get MP3s out of them. What a pain in the butt.

I'd like to know how wutamess got a 256Mb Lyra for $80. I bought a 64Mb Lyra for $80. I then added a 128Mb memory card to it. Plays about 3 hours. However, I may be looking for a new one soon. I seem to have misplaced it. Damn thing is so small.

G-Money,
There are so many different ones out there. There's a huge selection of types, brands, and capacities. Look around. I would recommend starting with sites like
newegg.com
bestbuy.com
walmart.com
These will get ya started on seeing what's available. The first question would be how much $$ are you looking to spend? Also, how much capacity (how many hours/songs do you want to be able to store on your MP3 player) would you like?

I don't know how the others work but my RCA Lyra just comes with a USB cable that I plug directly into my PC and download them to my MP3 player using Windows Explorer. The Lyra just appears as another drive. The Lyra is about the size of a pager (great for putting in my pocket). Mine came with an armband(great for working out at the gym), USB cable, and headphones.

Gaz
05-04-2005, 08:33 AM
There are lots of places to get free music without stealing it:

Amazon.com [assorted]
Ampcast.com [assorted]
Audiolunchbox.com [assorted]
Darkcelldigitalmusic.net [goth & industrial]
Download.com [assorted]
Epitonic.com [assorted]
Gigatracks.com [assorted]
Iuma.com [assorted]
Magnatune.com [“shareware” music]
Mp3.com.au [assorted]
Pianosociety.com [classical]
Sonicx.com
Sonicstash.com [links to downloads, alphabetically by band name]
Soundclick.com
Vitaminic.com

I have an iRiver portable player [replaced my venerable Creative Nomad IIc]. It handles MP3, WMA & OGG formats. It has an FM receiver, voice recorder and can encode MP3 files via a line-in plug.

If size is not a problem and you do not plan on exercising to music, a CD-style player that reads MP3 discs is the most cost-effective solution. The players are cheap, the medium is cheap and you can load tons of music on a single CD.

If you plan to exercise with the device, get a flash player. I am on the computer every day, so I do not need tons of storage. If you want tons of storage, make sure the player is expandable via a memory card [SecureDigital appears to be the most common choice].

If you want to store all your music on a single portable device, get a hard-drive player.

Consumersearch.com is a site that collates information from various review sources. It is a good place to do some preliminary research and find more in-depth sources.
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/electronics/mp3-player-reviews/index.html

Caveat: User reviews like epinions.com are a useful resource, but take the reviews with a huge grain of salt. If the majority of reviews mention a problem, then that would be a concern. Bear in mind that [just like ChiefsPlanet] any bozo can slap up a review. Use user review sites carefully.

Here is your plan:
1. Decide how and when you will use your player [CD, flash or hard-drive]
2. Decide how often you are willing to reload the player [size & expandability]
3. CNET is a good place to start research. PC World and PC Magazine on-line are also okay, but are very short reviews. Once you narrow the field a bit more, do a Google search for your player with “review” as one of the search terms. You will find lots of “hands on” reviews via this method.
4. Once you have narrowed it to a couple of candidates, hit bizrate.com or one of the plethora of pricing sites to find the best price.
5. Have fun.

xoxo~
Gaz
Been there, done that, had a good time doing so.

Gaz
05-04-2005, 08:38 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/4520-7964_7-5134106-1.html?tag=dir.bg

xoxo~
Gaz
Researching fool.

Lzen
05-04-2005, 08:52 AM
http://reviews.cnet.com/Music/4520-7964_7-5134106-1.html?tag=dir.bg

xoxo~
Gaz
Researching fool.

Very good info in that link. Thanks, Gazmeister. :thumb:

KCDU
05-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Yep. The good ones are expensive. I have an Ipod mini and a 4.5GB Rio, and they were both well over $300.

I don't know where you've been shopping, but the iPod mini has been no more than $250 since its intro last year. Now, you can pick up a 4GB iPod mini for $199, and a 6GB version for $249 from Apple. Hell, my 20GB iPod was only $299 (although I only paid $269 because of an edu discount).

Contrary to what some people seem to think, an iPod will play downloaded MP3's without any modification, as well as AAC, WAV, AIFF, Apple Lossless, and Audible. A few people I've spoken to think you actually have to buy every song from the iTunes music store for, this is completely incorrect. 90% of the music on my iPod has either been ripped from my CD's or downloaded.

Lzen
05-04-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't know where you've been shopping, but the iPod mini has been no more than $250 since its intro last year. Now, you can pick up a 4GB iPod mini for $199, and a 6GB version for $249 from Apple. Hell, my 20GB iPod was only $299 (although I only paid $269 because of an edu discount).

Contrary to what some people seem to think, an iPod will play downloaded MP3's without any modification, as well as AAC, WAV, AIFF, Apple Lossless, and Audible. A few people I've spoken to think you actually have to buy every song from the iTunes music store for, this is completely incorrect. 90% of the music on my iPod has either been ripped from my CD's or downloaded.

Cool. I'm thinking of buying an iPod shuffle 1GB. Runs about $150.

irishjayhawk
05-04-2005, 10:45 AM
Don't buy a shuffle. Its small but it could be on the verge of too small without being built into something. If you're willing to spend $150 fork out the extra $50 and get a ipod mini. Don't get a shuffle.

And by the way, you could get these things for free. Like someoen said above :P

Lzen
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Don't buy a shuffle. Its small but it could be on the verge of too small without being built into something. If you're willing to spend $150 fork out the extra $50 and get a ipod mini. Don't get a shuffle.

And by the way, you could get these things for free. Like someoen said above :P

I love the fact that it's about the size of a pack of gum. And 1GB should be good enough for my needs. And I don't want one with a hard drive. I like them with no moving parts. Plus, you can't replace the battery in a mini. You have to send it to them to replace it. That's crap.

Lzen
05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Hmm, I like this one.
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855603814&ATT=Portable+MP3+MPEG+Au&CMP=OTC-C173T

I really need to stop looking as I have other things I need to spend my $$ on right now. But I love my MP3 player. :)

Gaz
05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
The JetAudio was the other finalist when I picked my iRiver.

xoxo~
Gaz
Could have gone either way.

Gaz
05-04-2005, 12:16 PM
The advantages of the JetAudio or iRiver player over the Shuffle are convincing:
• Sound quality.
• FM radio.
• Line-in recording.
• Voice recording.
• On the fly MP3 encoding.
• Backlit LCD screen.
• Music folders.
• Firmware upgrade to USB storage device.
• Lots of equalizer settings [including 5-band manual]
• Alarm clock function.
• Study function.
• Control over multiple functions [bass boost, surround, repeat, so forth].

xoxo~
Gaz
Not sure why anyone would go Shuffle when they could go iRiver or JetAudio.

mcan
05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
The advantages of the JetAudio or iRiver player over the Shuffle are convincing:

• Lots of equalizer settings [including 5-band manual]

Anytime you can have an EQ, you're doing allright.
PS-
Nice use of bullets Gaz!

svuba
05-04-2005, 01:48 PM
I just bought a generic 512MP3 plaer on Ebay for less that $60 delivered. If you only need 120 songs stored on internal flash this is the cheap way to go, and the unit works perfectly so far

ebay mp3 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73839&item=5771929669&tc=photo)

jarjar
05-04-2005, 02:16 PM
I went the mp3 cd player route. No amount of "cool factor" makes up for the huge difference in price ($300 instead of $40).

There is a Penny Arcade for every occasion it seems:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-05-28&res=l

svuba
05-04-2005, 02:19 PM
It's very hard to beat the iPOD size and UI. I really have my eye on the new 60g iPOD.!

I am having trouble with the Math on these 60 Gig players...... :Poke:

So if a 512 player holds 125 songs
You get 250 Songs per Gig
or 15,000 songs on a 60 Gig Player

15,000 songs is roughly 1500 CDs
or approximately 1250 Hours of Music
So you could leave your MP3 player running for 52 days straight 24 hours per day without repeating a song.
If you ONLY listened to the MP3 player for 4 hours per day it would take you one full year to get through the playlist.
If you filled it up using itunes exclusively the Music would cost you $15,000

Is it just me or is this a tad bit on the Overkill side?

jarjar
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM

So you could leave your MP3 player running for 52 days straight 24 hours per day without repeating a song.
If you ONLY listened to the MP3 player for 4 hours per day it would take you one full year to get through the playlist.

That's Apple marketing for you. Somehow they have figured out how to make people retarded.

morphius
05-04-2005, 02:39 PM

I have 35 GB of MP3's at home, all ripped from CD's the wife and I have. Probably have a couple more gig's worth to burn. So I guess if you wanted to cary everything with you, it is the way to go.

svuba
05-04-2005, 02:53 PM
I have 35 GB of MP3's at home, all ripped from CD's the wife and I have. Probably have a couple more gig's worth to burn. So I guess if you wanted to cary everything with you, it is the way to go.

How many cd's does that 35 gigs work out to?
Should be around 800

morphius
05-04-2005, 03:07 PM
How many cd's does that 35 gigs work out to?
Should be around 800
Honestly, I'm afraid to look, but I will look when I get home. I think I was also doing them at a slightly higher rate then the default, like 192 vs 128, which makes them a little larger.

svuba
05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Honestly, I'm afraid to look, but I will look when I get home. I think I was also doing them at a slightly higher rate then the default, like 192 vs 128, which makes them a little larger.

Yeah I am sure you can max out the bit rate on that. I was just using the theoretical numbers that you see on the Advertisements

BIG_DADDY
05-04-2005, 03:34 PM
I was reading in a technology magazine the other day that mp3 players will be obsolete as we know them soon as they are already in people's cell phones in Japan.

Gaz
05-05-2005, 05:27 AM
I was reading in a technology magazine the other day that mp3 players will be obsolete as we know them soon as they are already in people's cell phones in Japan.

For those who live on the bleeding edge, MP3 is already dead. There are better compression schemes out there and now that MP3 has been adopted by the Great Unwashed, the geeks will have to select a new 2kewl standard.

As better compression methods are developed, players will become smaller, smarter and will required huge capacity [as lossless compression becomes more popular]. They will be combined with phones and PDAs and GPS and whatever the newest “must have” gadget might be.

For the rest of us, MP3 players will be around for a long, long time to come. We have tons of MP3 files on our computers and that market simply cannot be ignored.

BTW, Windows Media Player 10 can rip CDs in lossless WMA format. Sure, they are BIG files, but that spells trouble for the APE and FLAC formats, IMO. You also have to wonder if OGG will survive the upcoming Betamax/VHS struggle. It is not lossless, therefore I see it falling behind.

xoxo~
Gaz
A ways aft of the leading edge.