PDA

View Full Version : Favre gives team member a smack down

Mr. Laz
05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
www.profootballtalk.com
8:37 p.m. EDT, May 3, 2005

FAVRE TAKES JAB AT JAVON

In 2001, Packers quarterback Brett Favre took verbal shots at an NFC North receiver wearing jersey number 84 because said pass-catcher admitted that he plays only when he wants to.

Now, Favre is taking aim at another division wideout who wears No. 84 -- the only difference is that this guy is on Favre's team.

According the The Green Bay Press-Gazette, Favre is taking issue with the decision of teammate Javon Walker to skip a recent mandatory minicamp because of displeasure with his contract.

"If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I’d tell him he’s going about this the wrong way," Favre said. "When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I’d tell him I’ve been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you."

Ouch.

"I would’ve never thought it would be a guy like Javon,” Favre added. "I guess in this business nothing should surprise you, especially what happens when guys have a little bit of success. Some guys handle it the right way and some guys don’t."

Double ouch.

"Nowadays you're seeing more and more guys pulling that stunt," he said. "If guys continue to do that and are successful getting away with it, then I’ll be gone, but I think the game will be ruined. My reaction to Javon’s situation was 'Here we go again.'"

Triple ouch.

"Maybe I’m old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract. Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it’s a lesser player, but it’s all based on what a team has as far as value in that person."

We've-lost-count ouch.

"I sure hope the Packers don’t give in to him," Favre said. "I don’t sit up in the front office, and I don’t talk to them — regardless of what people might think — and tell them who to draft and who not to draft. They don’t ask me, and it’s not my job. My job is to throw passes and be a leader.

"That’s why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to be said."

So does Favre worry about not having Walker in what could be Brett's final season? Nope.

“I’d just as soon go without him. He’s a great player. I think he can help us. He’s likeable and easy to get along with, but I’m guessing he’s getting the wrong advice, and he’s buying into that."

Coincidentally, Favre made similar comments nearly a year ago after then-Packers cornerback Mike McKenzie skipped a minicamp for reasons identical to Walker's 2005 absence.

"When you sign a contract, you sign a contract," Favre said of McKenzie. "We all make a lot of money, and sometimes it doesn’t seem fair when other guys make more who you know you’re better than. But that’s the way this business works. As bad as that may seem at times, it will work itself out. I hope he realizes that, because he’ll hurt our football team if he’s away, and he’ll really help our team when he’s here. So we need him back."

McKenzie ultimately hired in 2004 the same guy who represents Walker this time around -- Drew Rosenhaus. And Walker is one of several Rosenhaus clients who are expressing their displeasure with their contracts by staying away from mandatory offseason workouts and involuntary voluntary sessions.

NewChief
05-04-2005, 09:49 AM
These agents fill these guys full of so much shit. I can just hear it. "X is making Y amount, and you're only making Z amount. Don't you think you're better than X. Then the team should let you know by paying you as much as X."

Good for Favre on calling 'em out.

jspchief
05-04-2005, 09:51 AM
NFL owners should just start blacklisting Rosenhaus. If they all take ultra tough stances against him, he'll either change his ways or lose his clients.

Rain Man
05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
The odd thing is that it's not even about money any more. The money is just a scorecard.

It's like that old Cheers episode where Sam and Woody went in asking for raises, and they were all stoked coming out because they got new job titles instead. Just make Javon Walker a Senior Wide Receiver and maybe he'll come back to work.

marsaray
05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Farve is a good QB I think I would listen to him escpecially if he was on my team . It is all about money these days.

Brock
05-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Easy to say when you're in the 100 million dollar club.

Spicy McHaggis
05-04-2005, 10:06 AM
You hear that TO? Shut the **** up and play the game. I'm sick of this "gotta feed my family" shit. You're making more in your short NFL careers than most anyone else can dream of making in their entire life. For the record can anyone recall if Favre has ever had a contract dispute and if so, what was the end result?

Phobia
05-04-2005, 10:09 AM
For the record can anyone recall if Favre has ever had a contract dispute and if so, what was the end result?

No. He's not a hypocrite.

jspchief
05-04-2005, 10:14 AM
For the record can anyone recall if Favre has ever had a contract dispute and if so, what was the end result?
GB gave Brett Favre a new contract before he had to ask for it. They gave him a better deal while he still had several years on his existing contract. A practice that seems to only happen to QBs.

You could look at that and say "easy for him to say", but the fact remains, these players and agents are getting worse and worse. If teams start giving in to this, it will set a terrible precedent. They might as well all just sign one year contracts.

oldandslow
05-04-2005, 10:18 AM
I would be more sympathetic to teams if they did not break contracts as well.

Both sides should have to live up to their commitments.

Spicy McHaggis
05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
GB gave Brett Favre a new contract before he had to ask for it. They gave him a better deal while he still had several years on his existing contract. A practice that seems to only happen to QBs.

You could look at that and say "easy for him to say", but the fact remains, these players and agents are getting worse and worse. If teams start giving in to this, it will set a terrible precedent. They might as well all just sign one year contracts.

If they do give in to paying a player who has a good year I would expect the players to renegotiate their deals after they've had a crappy year. Fairs fair, right?

ChiefsOne
05-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Great remarks from Farve! He's a real stand up guy and he is right on about the players honoring their contracts.

These punk ass players missed out when integrety was being handed out!

Bwana
05-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Good for Farve. There are way to many whiney little bitch players these days, I'm glad he called one of them out.

Mr. Kotter
05-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Brett is the man. :clap: :clap: :clap:

teedubya
05-04-2005, 10:47 AM
definately blacklist Rosenhaus.. fugg that dude.

jspchief for Commissioner.

Mr. Laz
05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I would be more sympathetic to teams if they did not break contracts as well.

Both sides should have to live up to their commitments.
except for much of that commitment isn't really broken since a big hunk of the contract comes in the form of a signing bonus.

the team may terminate the contract, but the player gets a helluva severance pay ... and then can double dip by signing with another team the very same year.

Mr. Kotter
05-04-2005, 10:55 AM
definately blacklist Rosenhaus.. fugg that dude.

jspchief for Commissioner.

No shit; TO, Walker, and.....there was some other WR too.... :hmmm:

Rosenhaus is a dick, of epic proportion; anyone hear the Dan Patrick interview with him about T.O.'s situation.....total dick. Penis Maximus.

BIG_DADDY
05-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Gotta love Brett, one of my alltime favorites.

jspchief
05-04-2005, 11:19 AM
No shit; TO, Walker, and.....there was some other WR too.... :hmmm:

Rosenhaus is a dick, of epic proportion; anyone hear the Dan Patrick interview with him about T.O.'s situation.....total dick. Penis Maximus.

Owens
Walker
Anquan Boldin
Sean Taylor
Reuben Droughns

There are others that I'm forgetting (I know either S. Moss or Coles before they swapped teams).

Not to mention previous holdout threats like Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee (knee injury and all).

Coach
05-04-2005, 11:21 AM
I have read just about enough about players who f**king refuse to come in and work out in the f**king offseason, about guys who get traded and want a new deal before they ever do anything worth a f**k for their new team (nice first impression), star players who feel they are grossly under paid even though they cashed checks for upward of $10 million f**king dollars over the past year or so and teammates who support their teammates in their struggles for more f**king money.

I'll just give them a simple message if I was a owner. F**king show up, or prepare to sit the f**k out for the rest of the season.

C-Mac
05-04-2005, 11:24 AM
How soon we forget about Priest Holmes.

jspchief
05-04-2005, 11:28 AM
How soon we forget about Priest Holmes.How easily you forget how grossly underpaid Holmes was in relation to his production. The comparison is so far off it's laughable.

Owens signed a contract that at the time made him the highest paid WR in the NFL over the next 3 years. Holmes was among the lowest paid starting RBs in the league, while putting up the best overall RB numbers in the NFL.

Really similar :rolleyes:

Brock
05-04-2005, 11:36 AM
How soon we forget about Priest Holmes.

WTF are you yapping about?

C-Mac
05-04-2005, 11:40 AM
How easily you forget how grossly underpaid Holmes was in relation to his production. The comparison is so far off it's laughable.

Owens signed a contract that at the time made him the highest paid WR in the NFL over the next 3 years. Holmes was among the lowest paid starting RBs in the league, while putting up the best overall RB numbers in the NFL.
Really similar :rolleyes:

Look I'm on your side and abhor the salaries that players are paid today and their stinking greedy managers.
But regardless, bottom line its still a player not honoring his agreed contract.

TO is an a$$.

ct
05-04-2005, 11:41 AM
I suppose I'm in the minority here, but until the teams are forced to live up to the contract, I'm not bashing on ALL players who want to renegotiate during a contract.

There's a fine line though. Some players deserve a bigger paycheck while in a current contract, i.e. Priest Holmes was just mentioned. Others do not, but get some serious bad advice, or just simply think their stuff don't stink.

When a team can tear up a contract at any time, I have no problem with the players being able to put pressure on as well. Sadly some players just don't get it that they are paid what they deserve(relatively speaking) already.

jspchief
05-04-2005, 11:49 AM
I suppose I'm in the minority here, but until the teams are forced to live up to the contract, I'm not bashing on ALL players who want to renegotiate during a contract.

There's a fine line though. Some players deserve a bigger paycheck while in a current contract, i.e. Priest Holmes was just mentioned. Others do not, but get some serious bad advice, or just simply think their stuff don't stink.

When a team can tear up a contract at any time, I have no problem with the players being able to put pressure on as well. Sadly some players just don't get it that they are paid what they deserve(relatively speaking) already.
So when do players pay money back when they are over paid? They get guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus.

The reason teams cut players is because that's the only alternative to paying them more than they are worth.

I wonder if Rosenhaus is making Jevon Kearse hold out for a smaller contract since he under-performed in realtion to his contract.

ct
05-04-2005, 12:04 PM
So when do players pay money back when they are over paid? They get guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus.

The reason teams cut players is because that's the only alternative to paying them more than they are worth.

I wonder if Rosenhaus is making Jevon Kearse hold out for a smaller contract since he under-performed in realtion to his contract.

Natural consequences. Sign a bonehead player, live with the dead weight. We in KC should be familiar with this concept.

There oughta be something in the form of guaranteed contract beyond signing bonus and escalated bonus cap space when releasing players. Some middle ground that would do more to curb the ridiculous, agent driven, bogus back-ended contracts we see today.

Garcia Bronco
05-04-2005, 12:53 PM
NFL owners should just start blacklisting Rosenhaus. If they all take ultra tough stances against him, he'll either change his ways or lose his clients.

The Broncos have...you hire Drew....you mgith as well be gone.

Simplex3
05-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Natural consequences. Sign a bonehead player, live with the dead weight. We in KC should be familiar with this concept.

There oughta be something in the form of guaranteed contract beyond signing bonus and escalated bonus cap space when releasing players. Some middle ground that would do more to curb the ridiculous, agent driven, bogus back-ended contracts we see today.
Yeah, I mean, guaranteed contracts are doing great things in baseball! That's really the model everyone should be emulating right there.

Mr. Kotter
05-04-2005, 01:31 PM
The Broncos have...you hire Drew....you mgith as well be gone.

If that's true, more teams should do that.

Rausch
05-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Gotta love Brett, one of my alltime favorites.

Ditto.

ct
05-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I mean, guaranteed contracts are doing great things in baseball! That's really the model everyone should be emulating right there.

You miss my point, looking for the middle-ground here. Accountability on both sides.

ct
a dreamer, and proud of it

patteeu
05-04-2005, 02:15 PM

I agree, and I think it should be possible, but it isn't. If they did, I think they'd get hit with the collusion club again.

patteeu
05-04-2005, 02:16 PM
It is all about money these days.

That's not what Rain Man says.

The odd thing is that it's not even about money any more.

Maybe you guys should take this to the Romper Room and settle it.

patteeu
05-04-2005, 02:19 PM

Look at how this place treats Carl Peterson when he takes a stand against escalating of player demands. He's crucified for being a "tough SOB negotiator." The overwhelming sentiment around here is that he should just pay whatever the player is asking and "get it done."

Simplex3
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
You miss my point, looking for the middle-ground here. Accountability on both sides.

ct
a dreamer, and proud of it
The middle ground has been acheived in football. You sign a contract, some of the money is guarenteed, some isn't. You can retire at any time, the team can release you at any time. If you retire, the team holds your rights should you decide to come back as part of what they bought when they handed you a multi-million dollar signing bonus before you did squat. If they release you you keep all the money they've given you and you can now go get another team to start paying you all over again.

What's not fair? You have guys making millions of dollars a year who would otherwise be collecting garbage, driving a bus, working fast food, hanging drywall, etc.

Simplex3
05-04-2005, 02:20 PM
I agree, and I think it should be possible, but it isn't. If they did, I think they'd get hit with the collusion club again.
They can all do it, they just can't meet about it and agree to do it. :)

patteeu
05-04-2005, 02:27 PM
They can all do it, they just can't meet about it and agree to do it. :)

Oh, I agree. I just don't think they are capable of doing it independently. I think there are some who are willing to go it alone in the hope that they can make a difference and set an example for the league (I think Carl Peterson is one of these), but others like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder just can't control themselves.

PastorMikH
05-04-2005, 02:44 PM
Favre: "When you sign a contract, you sign a contract,"

Exactly!

:clap::clap:

Skip Towne
05-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Anybody remember a guy named Howard Slusher? I haven't heard from him in years so I guess he isn't an agent anymore. He was worse than any agent I've ever seen. All his players held out for one reason or another. Finally, nobody would draft his players.

jspchief
05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
I think there are some who are willing to go it alone in the hope that they can make a difference and set an example for the league (I think Carl Peterson is one of these), but others like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder just can't control themselves.

Those were the exact names I was thinking of too. Those two guys are too busy letting their personal greed ruin it for everyone.

rocks
05-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Slap him again Brett! Yes sir may I have another sir.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
is drew rohaunhas hugh douglas's agent too, the shark?