PDA

View Full Version : Winslow's injuries worse than originally thought?

Mr. Laz
05-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Media reports out of Cleveland indicate that Browns tight end Kellen Winslow's injuries are worse than originally reported.

Winslow has, per NewsChannel 5 in Cleveland, "a broken tibia and femur, along with a fracture to the large bone in his thigh" (which commonly is known as the femur, Dr. News Bunny). Winslow's ACL is damaged and possibly torn, and there are lacerations on his kidney and liver.

There is concern in some circles that his football career is over.

Mary Kay Cabot of The Cleveland Plain Dealer has written a compelling follow-up to Pat McManamon's article from earlier in the week regarding Winslow's motorcycling habits.

Per Cabot, Winslow became intrigued by motorcycle stunts when he heard a bike rumbling while playing paint ball in the back yard of his Westlake home (we didn't know that paint ball was part of his broken-leg rehab regimen). Winslow investigated, and found that a guy was doing wheelies and other stunts on a motorcycle.

Winslow befriended the rider, Jason Campana, and Winslow bought his own bike on April 9.

A week later, one of Winslow's neighbors called the police on the sixth overall pick in the 2004 draft, who was "going up and down the street about 50 miles per hour" and "popping wheelies." Winslow had cleared out before the police arrived.

Another neighbor tried to reason directly with Winslow.

"One day he and someone else went down the street about 15 times doing wheelies," said Dr. Robert Nahigian. "One of them did a wheelie right in front of my house. After about 15 minutes, I waved him down."

Nahigian told him that stunts weren't appropriate in a residential area. "I also told him that I was concerned about his own safety," Nahigian said. "He told me he wasn't going over the speed limit."

Nahigian also wondered why Winslow was riding the bike, given that he still was recovering from a broken leg. "He would walk his dog and he wasn't even walking well before the accident," Nahigian said.

On the day of the accident, Winslow and friends apparently were practicing stunts. One observer believes Winslow was trying to do a reverse wheelie, known in biker-dude lingo as an "endo."

Next thing they knew, he was making like Superman over the handlebars.

In our view, this information should view heavily in the team's deliberations as to whether to seek a full or partial reimbursement of the bonus money paid to Winslow. Regardless of whether he knew that his contract prohibited him from motorcycling, his conduct was so clearly in violation of the document that the team would be setting a dangerous precedent by looking the other way.

Sure, it's hard not to feel some empathy for Winslow given the injuries he suffered, but those feelings will be present whenever a guy gets seriously hurt doing something that, under his contract, he shouldn't have done.

Winslow took a colossally stoopid risk, not just with his own life and health but with the very investment by the Browns that allowed him to buy the machine that might have led to his athletic and financial demise.

We originally thought that the Browns would merely offer not to pay the remaining $2 million or so on his option bonus (due July 15) to resolve the issue, and we continue to believe that the team will do that if it looks like Winslow will be able to play in 2006. But if/when it's confirmed that he's out for two or more seasons, we think the Browns will analyze long and hard the possibility of cutting him loose and trying to get back as much of their bonus money as they can.

And we're still inclined to drop most of the blame on his agents, the Postons, for the fact that Winslow got hurt. Based on Cabot's story, motorcycle stunts had become an obsession for Winslow. If he talked at all with Carl and/or Kevin from April to May, Winslow surely blurted out that he'd bought a motorcycle, and/or that he'd already learned how to do wheelies.

It'll be very interesting to see how the "he said, she said" plays out regarding this topic, especially with so much coin hanging in the balance.

Finally, though we're trying not to poke too much fun at Winslow given his current circumstances, we're compelled to close this one out with an e-mail we received from a reader who defended Winslow's actions:

"Kellen was just trying to prove that when he signs a contract, he is a man of his word. The contract stated that Kellen Winslow cannot ride a motorcycle. So Kellen being a man of his word went out and proved that he cannot ride a motorcycle."

morphius
05-07-2005, 10:43 AM
"Kellen was just trying to prove that when he signs a contract, he is a man of his word. The contract stated that Kellen Winslow cannot ride a motorcycle. So Kellen being a man of his word went out and proved that he cannot ride a motorcycle."

Bloody Brilliant!

Brock
05-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Great job, Kellen Kneivel. ROFL

Bob Dole
05-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Proponents of karma will be citing Winslow's story for years.

Phobia
05-07-2005, 10:50 AM
And we're still inclined to drop most of the blame on his agents, the Postons, for the fact that Winslow got hurt. Based on Cabot's story, motorcycle stunts had become an obsession for Winslow. If he talked at all with Carl and/or Kevin from April to May, Winslow surely blurted out that he'd bought a motorcycle, and/or that he'd already learned how to do wheelies.

What? As much as I dislike agent types, the blame for this can fall nowhere other than on KWII. Wow - putting it on the Postons is quite a leap. First, the reporter is assuming that KWII had spoken with the Postons. Secondly, the reporter assumes KWII revealed his new hobby.

Finally, WTF are the Postons supposed to do? KWII is in his early 20's. Nobody tells a kid that age what to do. I hate stupid reporters even more than I hate agents.

morphius
05-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Kellen "Squid" Winslow shall be his name, as that is the nickname giving to all new riders who don't wear safety gear and are trying to look super cool by pulling stunts.

Braincase
05-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Call Canton, put the bust on hold.

Stinger
05-07-2005, 10:57 AM
:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/scoot.jpg

Herzig
05-07-2005, 10:58 AM
:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/scoot.jpg
ROFL

Skip Towne
05-07-2005, 10:59 AM
What? As much as I dislike agent types, the blame for this can fall nowhere other than on KWII. Wow - putting it on the Postons is quite a leap. First, the reporter is assuming that KWII had spoken with the Postons. Secondly, the reporter assumes KWII revealed his new hobby.

Finally, WTF are the Postons supposed to do? KWII is in his early 20's. Nobody tells a kid that age what to do. I hate stupid reporters even more than I hate agents.
I hate them both equally but back to Winslow for a moment: Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

chagrin
05-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Again...

''It's war, they're out there to kill you, so I'm out there to kill them. We don't care about anybody but this U. They're going after my legs. I'm going to come right back at them. I'm a ... soldier!'

BWAAHAHAHAHA!! :clap:

chief52
05-07-2005, 11:18 AM
The Browns should just cut him loose, pick up as much money as they can and move on. Minimize their losses...

the Talking Can
05-07-2005, 11:20 AM
you signed a multi-million dollar contract and the best idea you have is to go and try trick wheelies on a motorcycle?

PunkinDrublic
05-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Somewhere Percy Snow is laughing his ass off.

alanm
05-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Again...

''It's war, they're out there to kill you, so I'm out there to kill them. We don't care about anybody but this U. They're going after my legs. I'm going to come right back at them. I'm a ... soldier!'

BWAAHAHAHAHA!! :clap:
He may have to go get a job as a real soldier now if his career is over. Well, the Army probably wouldn't take him either with a f*cked up leg. :shake:

Phobia
05-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Somewhere Percy Snow is laughing his ass off.

I don't think Percy is comparable in the slightest. He was using a scooter for transportation and suffered a freak accident. Winslow was a moron.

Trivia question: Percy's brother is a fairly well known celeb. Who is he?

alanm
05-07-2005, 11:34 AM
you signed a multi-million dollar contract and the best idea you have is to go and try trick wheelies on a motorcycle?
He didn't want that University of Miami edumacation to go to waste. ROFL

Hydrae
05-07-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't think Percy is comparable in the slightest. He was using a scooter for transportation and suffered a freak accident. Winslow was a moron.

J.T. Snow? :shrug:

Phobia
05-07-2005, 11:40 AM
J.T. Snow? :shrug:

No.

Bwana
05-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Wow, Ba-bye several million dollars. What a dumbass.

Brock
05-07-2005, 11:42 AM

He has a brother who played in the NBA.

Mr. Laz
05-07-2005, 11:44 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_eric_snow.jpg

CAVALIERS
Eric Snow | 20
Position: G
Born: 04/24/73
Height: 6-3 / 1,91
Weight: 205 lbs. / 93,0 kg.
College: Michigan State '95

2004-05Statistics
PPG 4.0
RPG 1.90
APG 3.9
EFF + 6.98

Career Highlights
Ranked in the top 10 in the NBA in three categories: total assists (ninth - 563), assists per game (sixth – 6..9) and assists-to-turnovers (seventh – 3:1)

Named to the 2002-03 All-Defensive Second Team
Selected as the Atlantic Division winner of the 1998-99 NBA Sportsmanship award

Notched 13 assists, five points and five rebounds, in his first career start, against the Dallas Mavericks on 3/5/96

BACKGROUND

2003-04:
Played in all 82 games…was the only Sixer to start all 82 games…has now started 225 consecutive games…averaged 10.3 points, a team-leading 6.9 assists and 3.4 rebounds…ranked in the top 10 in the NBA in three categories: total assists (ninth - 563), assists per game (sixth – 6..9) and assists-to-turnovers (seventh – 3:1)…recorded 10 double-doubles…scored 18 points with nine assists at Atlanta on April 6…dished out 13 assists with just one turnover versus Cleveland on March 26…scored 19 points and seven assists against New York on March 12…scored a season-high 22 points and added 10 assists at Utah on Dec. 29…recorded a season-high 14 assists versus Orlando on Dec. 22…played in his 500th career game on Nov. 1 at Golden State, scoring 17 points.

Bob Dole
05-07-2005, 11:46 AM

Phoebe Snow?

el borracho
05-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Phoebe Snow?
I love Phoebe Snow!

Calcountry
05-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Bloody Brilliant!What a dumass.

jspchief
05-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Trivia question: Percy's brother is a fairly well known celeb. Who is he?Is it that white reggae-rapper from Canada?

Informer, a licky boom boom down... (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000002JQ0001007/0/002-5842575-4475241)

Ebolapox
05-07-2005, 12:47 PM
in the words of george carlin,

"GOOD! F*ck em'"

-EB-

Eleazar
05-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Sounds like he was doing an endo, and either didn't stop in time and hit the curb as originally reported, or he grabbed the front brake too hard and sailed over the bars.

royr17
05-07-2005, 01:49 PM
KW2 is Mr. Idiot

Iowanian
05-07-2005, 01:53 PM
It almost would serve him and his prickbutter Father Right.

whoman69
05-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Karma is a biotch. This soldier got the golden wound and is now going home. Unlike the military, he's not going to get anything from the NFL except a pink slip and perhaps will even need to pay back some money. Serves the dipstick right. Some athletes think they can go and do anything.
Randy Moss should have had the book thrown at him big time for trying to run over that meter cop, but because he is a celeb, slap on the wrist.

MGRS13
05-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey hes still a SOLDGA!.....what a turd!

alanm
05-07-2005, 03:05 PM
I love Phoebe Snow!
Her voice reminds me of nails on a blackboard. It makes me want to put my head in a vice and tighten it untill my brains leak out. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mastashake
05-07-2005, 03:22 PM
People bust their ass to get a degree to make one HUNDREDTH of what this dumbass makes in a year, and the award goes to this clownshoe.

As a Mizzou fan, I can't help what his dad is thinking. Sr. was one of the best TEs ever, and to have a son who was built up to be better than him be such a dissapointment and loser in every aspect of his life must be depressing.

Mastashake

jettio
05-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Sounds like he was doing an endo, and either didn't stop in time and hit the curb as originally reported, or he grabbed the front brake too hard and sailed over the bars.

That's the same stuff that got Ricky Williams into trouble with his signing bonus.

jettio
05-07-2005, 03:28 PM

It must be either Percy Sledge or Bustah Rhymes.

Skip Towne
05-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I hear the dad is as big a dick as the kid.

Phobia
05-07-2005, 03:40 PM
FWIW, the trivia answer was kinda gotten by Brock and then by Laz a couple minutes later. Eric Snow.

Skip Towne
05-07-2005, 03:43 PM
FWIW, the trivia answer was kinda gotten by Brock and then by Laz a couple minutes later. Eric Snow.
Never heard of him.

BIG_DADDY
05-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Like somebody so eloquently put it before. There are those riders who have wrecked and those that are going to. If you try and be Evil Knievel you will up the chances of that happening and receiving a major injury immensly. I can appreciate the fact that he loves motorcycles, I do too. To do what he did with what he had on the table though was beyond stupid.

Eleazar
05-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Like somebody so eloquently put it before. There are those riders who have wrecked and those that are going to. If you try and be Evil Knievel you will up the chances of that happening and receiving a major injury immensly. I can appreciate the fact that he loves motorcycles, I do too. To do what he did with what he had on the table though was beyond stupid.

Yeah, I love riding but if I had tens of millions of dollars that said not to do it, I think I could wait until I retired.

He did it all wrong anyway, too much bike for a new rider, stunting as a new rider, etc. Pretty much just asking for it.

I dont really feel too sorry for him though since he's already made more than I'll make in my life.

Bwana
05-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I love riding but if I had tens of millions of dollars that said not to do it, I think I could wait until I retired.

He did it all wrong anyway, too much bike for a new rider, stunting as a new rider, etc. Pretty much just asking for it.

I dont really feel too sorry for him though since he's already made more than I'll make in my life.

Yep, that was one hell of an expensive bike ride to say the least.

Beautiful
05-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Kellen "Squid" Winslow shall be his name, as that is the nickname giving to all new riders who don't wear safety gear and are trying to look super cool by pulling stunts.

I think Jellyfish might be more appropriate seeing as how his leg is in pieces. Give him to Gun he likes jellyfishes,

Bob Dole
05-07-2005, 05:10 PM
As a Mizzou fan, I can't help what his dad is thinking. Sr. was one of the best TEs ever, and to have a son who was built up to be better than him be such a dissapointment and loser in every aspect of his life must be depressing.

http://www246.pair.com/autoybkh/albums/funnies_/KW_book.gif

Mastashake
05-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Kellen Winslow Sr. has done his work, put in his does and if he wants to be a primadonna, that's cool. He came to the field, and he EXCELLED at what he did. Just like any other person, if you put up, you don't gotta shut up.

Just like TO, I got no problems with a guy constantly talkin junk as long as he is the best at what he does. These people have earned the right to be able to talk whatever they want, unlike some 23 year old clownshoe who thinks he can ride the coattails of his daddy.

Mastashake

milkman
05-07-2005, 08:01 PM
He may have to go get a job as a real soldier now if his career is over. Well, the Army probably wouldn't take him either with a f*cked up leg. :shake:

He could try The Salvation Army.

Kellen Winslow Jr., bellringer.
Has a nice ring to it! :)

TEX
05-07-2005, 10:12 PM
"And we're still inclined to drop most of the blame on his agents, the Postons, for the fact that Winslow got hurt. Based on Cabot's story, motorcycle stunts had become an obsession for Winslow. If he talked at all with Carl and/or Kevin from April to May, Winslow surely blurted out that he'd bought a motorcycle, and/or that he'd already learned how to do wheelies." :shake:

No guys, ALL of the blame should rest with Winslow. It's time he grows up and learns how to take full responsibility for his actions. What he doesn't need is anyone, especially media-types, making excuses for him. I'd bet that has been the case his whole life.

Just my take...

TEX
05-07-2005, 10:14 PM
"And we're still inclined to drop most of the blame on his agents, the Postons, for the fact that Winslow got hurt. Based on Cabot's story, motorcycle stunts had become an obsession for Winslow. If he talked at all with Carl and/or Kevin from April to May, Winslow surely blurted out that he'd bought a motorcycle, and/or that he'd already learned how to do wheelies." :shake:

No guys, ALL of the blame should rest with Winslow. It's time he grows up and learns how to take full responsibility for his actions. What he doesn't need is anyone, especially media-types, making excuses for him. I'd bet that has been the case his whole life.

Just my take...

FWIW, I LOVE the last paragraph of the story. ROFL

NaptownChief
05-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Don't worry he will be just fine....He is a "f#%&ing warrior" afterall...

Barret
05-08-2005, 01:08 AM
Well thought since he is a "warrior" and such we can go ahead and give him this.

*edit*
You know at first to be funny I attached a Purple heart medal that Real soldiers get when wounded in combat. I thought it would be funny. I wish to first off apologize for even thinking of doing that for this dumbass. Too many of our men and women are coming home with lost legs and arms and stuff and doing it for their country or for the guy or girl sitting next to them in a bunker somewhere.

KWII, the only award you get from me is a big middle finger you can sit and spin on you freaking douche.

Ninjaman
05-08-2005, 01:16 AM
He's just an arrogant rich brat from a rich family.

Did you expect him to be professional ?

Cut his ass.

This whole episode is a carbon copy of the Bulls signing of Duke PG jason Williams. He wrecked his japturd bike also.

Ultra Peanut
05-08-2005, 02:25 AM

ROFL

Again...

BWAAHAHAHAHA!! :clap:Oh no, they got his legs!

Ultra Peanut
05-08-2005, 02:26 AM
As a Mizzou fan, I can't help what his dad is thinking. Sr. was one of the best TEs ever, and to have a son who was built up to be better than him be such a dissapointment and loser in every aspect of his life must be depressing.His dad's a twat, too.

Son of Logical
05-08-2005, 03:31 AM
I am not standing up for Jr., but come on guys the guy is hurt pretty bad, at least let some dust settle before dancing on the guys grave. When it come to Sr. I work in a Red Lobster and served the guy, he was one of the nicest people I have ever served. We screwed up his order, and he was still really nice. I don't know to many a-holes that would be nice after you screwed up their dinner.

Fairplay
05-08-2005, 04:14 AM
I am not standing up for Jr., but come on guys the guy is hurt pretty bad, at least let some dust settle before dancing on the guys grave. When it come to Sr. I work in a Red Lobster and served the guy, he was one of the nicest people I have ever served. We screwed up his order, and he was still really nice. I don't know to many a-holes that would be nice after you screwed up their dinner.

Theres a guy named Jenson that ate a Red Lobster who posts on this forum.

Mastashake
05-08-2005, 05:30 PM
His dad's a twat, too.

As I said before, his dad is a twat who has earned his right to be one. He's a HALL OF FAMER!!! You can say whatever you want when you do your stuff on the field. This clownshoe hasn't even played 5 games.

Just like TO, the mouth doesn't matter when he's getting it done on the field game after game after game.

Mastashake

ZootedGranny
05-08-2005, 10:28 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/SameOldRutgers/winslow_knevil_owned_250K.gif

Rausch
05-08-2005, 10:37 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/SameOldRutgers/winslow_knevil_owned_250K.gif ROFL

Thig Lyfe
05-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Pathetic. Just pathetic.