PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball question

KevB
05-07-2005, 12:44 PM
I have the opportunity to trade for Beltran in a standard 5x5 roto league. It's essentially a 3 for 1 deal, where I give Corey Patterson, Javier Vazquez and Dannys Baez. I'm pretty deep in my pitching, so I can probably afford the loss of these two pitchers. Is this a fair trade in your opinion?

Ebolapox
05-07-2005, 12:47 PM
how deep IS your pitching?? losing vazquez (who I think's gonna have a big year) and baez (who's no slouch) would hurt most teams

-EB-

cookster50
05-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Ehhh, what's the rest of your team look like?

The Bad Guy
05-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I would have a problem with it if I was in the league.

Beltran is top 5 player. Baez never gets opportunities. Vazquez is decent and Patterson is as well, but none of them come close to Beltran's value.

If you are getting Beltran it's a steal, if you are giving him up then get more value.

Bob Dole
05-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Bob Dole clicked on this topic thinking it was going to be a discussion of the fantasy some people have that baseball is actually interesting.

KevB
05-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm the one getting Beltran.

I have Santana, Harden, Zito, Bedard, Thomson and John Patterson as starters, with Mota (added Todd Jones), Brazoban, and Borowski.

There are a couple of nice starters still on the wire as well, like Brandon Webb and Wakefield. You can usually find starting pitching in this league.

My thought is that I'm giving up quite a bit, but it's nearly impossible to get a top 5 player without also giving up a stud. Patterson and Vazquez aren't studs, but very good.

The Bad Guy
05-07-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm the one getting Beltran.

I have Santana, Harden, Zito, Bedard, Thomson and John Patterson as starters, with Mota (added Todd Jones), Brazoban, and Borowski.

There are a couple of nice starters still on the wire as well, like Brandon Webb and Wakefield. You can usually find starting pitching in this league.

My thought is that I'm giving up quite a bit, but it's nearly impossible to get a top 5 player without also giving up a stud. Patterson and Vazquez aren't studs, but very good.

I guess we just diagree on value of players.

I don't think Patterson is very good. Vazquez has the chance to be, but it's going to take more than 3 productive starts to erase last year and his first starts of 2005.

I view Patterson and Vazquez as average with the potential to be good.

I view Beltran as great with the potential to be exceptional.

I don't think you're giving up much at all. Baez is worthless while he's the Devil Ray closer.

If you can usually find starting pitching on the wire then this guy has to be stupid. I'd rather pickup Webb and keep Beltran than get Vazquez and Patterson.

KCChiefsMan
05-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I would pull the trigger if I were you. Beltran is one of the best, none of those guys even come close

KevB
05-07-2005, 03:57 PM
I guess we just diagree on value of players.

I don't think Patterson is very good. Vazquez has the chance to be, but it's going to take more than 3 productive starts to erase last year and his first starts of 2005.

I view Patterson and Vazquez as average with the potential to be good.

I view Beltran as great with the potential to be exceptional.

I don't think you're giving up much at all. Baez is worthless while he's the Devil Ray closer.

If you can usually find starting pitching on the wire then this guy has to be stupid. I'd rather pickup Webb and keep Beltran than get Vazquez and Patterson.

You realize Patterson went for 24 HRs and 32 steals last year? There aren't many in the game putting up those numbers. Vazquez has four excellent starts in a row, but those first two starts still scare me. Baez had about 30 saves last year as the DRays closer, so he has value.

I appreciate your input.

cookster50
05-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Beltran isn't a 30-30 player, he is a 30-10 at best. He only ran a lot last year to get the big contract, it worked.

KevB
05-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Beltran isn't a 30-30 player, he is a 30-10 at best. He only ran a lot last year to get the big contract, it worked.

Beltran's run a lot his whole career.