PDA

View Full Version : interesting...

Nightfyre
05-09-2005, 04:46 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=insidedishsaintscommitte&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Inside Dish: Saints committed to keeping Howard

By Dan Pompei - SportingNews

The Saints are committed to keeping RE Darren Howard after trying to trade him in March and April. No team offered what the Saints thought Howard was worth--a first-round pick or a quality veteran linebacker--so they have no qualms about keeping him. In fact, they are excited about having perhaps the best set of ends in the NFL: Charles Grant, Will Smith and Howard. For his part, Howard doesn't mind staying in New Orleans for a 2005 salary of $7.8 million, and he's the strongest and healthiest he has been in years. Both sides know this probably is a one-year arrangement and that Howard likely will move on after the year. . . .

One reason LB Derrick Johnson fell in the draft to the Chiefs (15th overall) is many of the league's linebackers coaches ganged up on Johnson and lobbied against him in draft meetings. It is common for offensive line coaches--known as the Mushroom Club--to flex their muscles in the draft. Every year, the collective opinion of line coaches elevates the draft stock of certain players and downgrades the stock of others. As a rule, linebackers coaches have not been as unified and powerful as their offensive line brethren. They picked on Johnson because of his poor technique in taking on blockers. . . .

Why did the Raiders keep CB Charles Woodson and trade CB Phillip Buchanon even though Woodson is higher paid and four years older? Nobody was willing to trade anything of value for Woodson after watching the way his play dropped the last two years. The team was able to acquire second- and third-round picks from the Texans for Buchanon. The Raiders decided they could do without Buchanon in part because they thought he was a poor tackler who was not physical in any way. . . .

Some members of the Chiefs' hierarchy believe WR Samie Parker can become a starter this season. A fourth-round pick last year, Parker struggled with a hamstring injury for much of 2004 before coming on late in the season with nine catches in the last three games. Parker is one of the fastest receivers on the roster. If he takes the next step, he could bring an element that has been lacking in the Chiefs' powerhouse offense. . . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Drafting Eastern Washington OT Michael Roos in the second round was almost like taking two players for the Titans. They picked a player who they believe can step in and fill a hole immediately at right tackle, and they think Roos also can be the eventual successor to Brad Hopkins on the left side. . . .

As expected, Oklahoma had the most players drafted of any school with 11. Next was Florida State with nine. But the Southeastern Conference still is king. There were 37 players drafted from the SEC. Next was the Atlantic Coast with 36, the Big 12 with 34, the Pac-10 with 33 and the Big Ten with 30. . . .

There is a long way to go before anything counts, but early word out of 49ers camp is WR Arnaz Battle is looking great. The former college quarterback is getting comfortable at the receiver position in his third season and has an excellent chance to start alongside Brandon Lloyd at wideout. The 49ers like Battle's ability to run all the routes, and he'll help the running game with his blocking.

Mecca
05-09-2005, 05:10 AM
I think the Saints might be the dumbest team in the NFL over the last few seasons. Really drafting Will Smith last year was just dumb so now they have 3 ends and nothing else on their defense. They could have traded Howard if they wanted I think that's blowing smoke. The end market was very blah this year and everyone is always looking for D-ends.

Simple as this a team that traded 2 first round picks for Jon Sullivan, a team that has drafted 3 first round ends and this year moved up needing a LB with Davis and Johnson available took an OT.

After looking at how this team draft's maybe we shouldn't be that hard on Carl cause it could be worse.

The Derrick Johnson stuff is so overdone at this point. I got people who loved him during the college season thinking he isn't good now just because of stuff some fool wrote in a column. People become easily influenced by just about anything sometimes. All I know is I've seen the guy play and that's what I'm going on with him simple as that.

Woodson's decline has as much to do with his not giving a crap attitude as it does his leg injuries. So yea why would anyone want him? Plus having the Postons and wanting the Champ Bailey esq contract doesn't endear yourself to being traded to anyone.

The best part of the story on all this is Buchanon basically asked out of Oak town. And the Raiders and Raider fans spun it into "he sucks we don't want him" or "his nickname is toast" nice how they do that. All I can say is good Buchanon has many more productive years left than Woodson and is also a playmaker and gives a crap that's more than you can say for Charles these days.

Buchanon out of the division is a nice plus since I don't think Nnamdi Asomugha or whoever they stick over there at the 2 is going to be half as good as Buchanon is.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 07:27 AM
I remember a time when these so called "experts" were hammering on Chicago for taking Brian Urlacher, claiming much the same about his ability to take on blocks since he was being converted from safety. I think that turned out OK for them.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for Samie Parker to be our starter just yet. If he is ready, great, stick him in there. But at this point, I think he would make a dangerous third, or slot, receiver. I have a feeling Boerigter is going to being opposite of Kennison to start the season.

Coogs
05-09-2005, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up for Samie Parker to be our starter just yet. If he is ready, great, stick him in there. But at this point, I think he would make a dangerous third, or slot, receiver. I have a feeling Boerigter is going to being opposite of Kennison to start the season.

Why couldn't Parker start? Do you think Braylon Edwards has a chance to start for the Browns? He has not done anything in the NFL yet. So should he sit for a couple of years just because he may not be "ready"?

In all reality, Parker should be further along than Edwards. In fact, I hope Parker is the starter come September. JMO.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Why couldn't Parker start? Do you think Braylon Edwards has a chance to start for the Browns? He has not done anything in the NFL yet. So should he sit for a couple of years just because he may not be "ready"?

In all reality, Parker should be further along than Edwards. In fact, I hope Parker is the starter come September. JMO.

I'm not hating on Parker, just if it's between him and Boerigter, I bet Boe gets the job at first.

As far as Braylon Edwards goes, I dunno, is he going to miss all of the rookie camps and then training camp, and then be sidelined with a hamstring for most of the season?

morphius
05-09-2005, 08:45 AM

Parker looked good at the end of the year, but I would like to see how he does once some people have some tape on the guy.

As far as Bo starting, he has a lot to prove to me before being giving that job. One good year, very few catches but some big plays, one year of not being able to hold onto anything, and one year out due to injury, doesn't exactly have me sold on the guy.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Parker looked good at the end of the year, but I would like to see how he does once some people have some tape on the guy.

As far as Bo starting, he has a lot to prove to me before being giving that job. One good year, very few catches but some big plays, one year of not being able to hold onto anything, and one year out due to injury, doesn't exactly have me sold on the guy.

Yeah, I should have said the reason I picked Boe to be starting was because of the rave reviews Trent has given him so far this offseason.

jarjar
05-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Parker had the two best grabs last year. It could be flukish, but if he's showing up and playing that well in practice then I'm convinced, because he just showed us he can do it at game-time as well. Nobody would know better than the KC coaches if that's the case though, either way I'm confident that the right decision will be made.

Chief Henry
05-09-2005, 08:52 AM
I think the Saints might be the dumbest team in the NFL over the last few seasons. .

That dumb team beat our collective azz..... :banghead:

Chief Henry
05-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I should have said the reason I picked Boe to be starting was because of the rave reviews Trent has given him so far this offseason.

I haven't seen those reviews....Thats good news for Boe. Do you have any links to those reviews. I would like to see them.

Coogs
05-09-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm not hating on Parker, just if it's between him and Boerigter, I bet Boe gets the job at first.

As far as Braylon Edwards goes, I dunno, is he going to miss all of the rookie camps and then training camp, and then be sidelined with a hamstring for most of the season?

I just used Edwards because he was the first WR picked. Look at the last couple of years. Several rookie WR have came into the NFL and put up some pretty impressive numbers. Two or three even went over 1000 yards for the season. One from Arizona was not even a 1st round pick.

And Parker has to be further along entering year two than any of those WR's were comming into the NFL as rookies.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 09:19 AM
I haven't seen those reviews....Thats good news for Boe. Do you have any links to those reviews. I would like to see them.

I read it in the paper a week or two ago. The quote was along the lines of Trent being impressed with Boe's rehab and attention to detail running his routes, and not dropping anything. He also said he told him to slow it down a bit, for fear of re-injuring himself.

RINGLEADER
05-09-2005, 11:07 AM
The Derrick Johnson stuff is so overdone at this point. I got people who loved him during the college season thinking he isn't good now just because of stuff some fool wrote in a column. People become easily influenced by just about anything sometimes. All I know is I've seen the guy play and that's what I'm going on with him simple as that.

I totally agree with this. It was half-funny how the herd mentality took over and the whole Johnson = Can't Tackle thing manifested itself. Look at the dude's stat sheet.