PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Has there been a lot of wrong-way crashes in the area that you live

bkkcoh
05-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Here in the Columbus area, it seems as if there has been about 2 wrong-way accidents per month. This happens on both the interstate(s) but, on the outer belt also.

They are trying to correct this issue, but they haven't been able to so far.

Rain Man
05-09-2005, 09:28 AM
I live on a one-way street, and downtown Denver has tons of them. You'll occasionally see a car going the wrong way on one, and you wave them down and point, but I've never actually seen a wreck as a result of them.

I'll admit that I got discombobulated one time when I was driving on one, and a car turned toward me off of another street. I moved over and laid on the horn, and then all of a sudden there was a second car coming making the same turn and coming toward me. I had to stop for a second and figure out, 'Is this really a one-way, and if so, am I going the right way?' I was, and I think the second car just saw the first car turn and followed them.

patteeu
05-09-2005, 09:29 AM
I voted "no" but then immediately clicked on the "bad wreck in Liberty" thread and read a post by Boozer about a wrong way crash recently near my house. Doh!

I read an interesting article on this phenomenom recently. The article made the point that the vast majority of wrong-way accidents occur at night in the fast lane. The reason for this is that most wrong way drivers are drunk, they are usually driving without headlights on, and that once they get into the wrong lane, they drive fairly slow (both because of limited visibility and also because they understand that they are smashed) and hug the right side of the road (the "slow lane" from their perspective). The article, written by a highway patrolman I think, suggested that you spend as little time in the fast lane at night as possible to minimize your chances of running into one of these nearly invisible hazards.

bkkcoh
05-13-2005, 11:29 AM
The was another wrong-way crash this morning. Killed 1 and injured 3. It was on the outer-belt on the southern side. Not a lot of traffic on that part of the outer-belt. If it would have been on the NE or NW side it would have been a total mess.

Donger
05-13-2005, 11:32 AM
I almost had a head-on collision with an old lady driving the wrong way around KCI near the terminals.

That's I've got.

Phobia
05-13-2005, 11:37 AM
There's been more in the KC Metro area in the past year I've lived here than the entire time I can recollect in Houston.

Demonpenz
05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
it has alot to do with the illegal immgrants