PDA

View Full Version : Were you spanked as a kid, and do/did you spank your children?

teedubya
05-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Rant forthcoming.

[could a mod please make this multiple choice?]

Jenson71
05-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah. More hit than spanked though.

Would I do it? I don't plan on it.

CoMoChief
05-09-2005, 05:22 PM
I was spanked when I was little. I think its right to spank your kids when there little, not to the extreme, but just to let them know whos in charge and what is right and wrong. I dont think parents should do it unless they absolutely have to. How to determine that varies I guess from parent to parent.

Rain Man
05-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I was spanked as a child and then didn't have children, but if I did, I'm sure I would beat them regularly.

siberian khatru
05-09-2005, 05:30 PM
I was spanked on my bare butt with a wooden hairbrush.

I have swatted my kids clothed behinds with an open hand. Occasionally. And it's been awhile since the last one -- at least a year. When used sparingly, and on the worst offenses, they got the message quick.

Bob Dole
05-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Bob Dole was splanked as a child.

As Bob Dole's children haven't done anything other than run down the bitch's leg, there hasn't really been any need for spanking.

Katipan
05-09-2005, 05:37 PM
I was spanked rarely and only until I started kindergarten. My kids haven't needed to be spanked yet, but when the time comes the only people that have that "authority" is myself and their father.

I feel bad for kids that get whooped by every auntie, uncle, and mother's cousin laying around. They become the paranoid psychos.

teedubya
05-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Pussification of America... I think may begin in the home... and it continues in the schoolhouse.

My school district outlawed spanking its students in 1990, when I was a junior. Immediately, there were more out of school suspensions.

Kids enjoy out of school suspensions. How is this a deterent?

My kid is a bit unruly at times, so we have adopted the smack on the hands scenario... if he is bad, he has to hold his hand out, and be a little man, and take his punishment. He definately does not like this. I think it is working.

We have also implemented a :) :( and X and a Checkmark... win or lose on his calendar.

If he poops his pants... he gets an X... if he poops in the potty, he gets a sticker and a checkmark.

poop in pants... :( face... and he LOSES.
poop in potty... :) face... and he WINS!!

anyway, that is my rant. If people werent such pussies/pamperers with their kids... the US wouldnt be full of so many pussies.

Bwana
05-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I was spanked as a child and then didn't have children

That's what happens when you get spanked on the wrong side. :D

teedubya
05-09-2005, 05:46 PM
I notice you're not eager to swat him on the ass when he shits himself.

heh. yeah, and i make him clean himself also.

We did swat him for other stuff though, but I want to get away from that.

I think teachers smacking the hands with a ruler was a good thing. Go out in hall, and get twacked with ruler. Sure it hurt, but it wasnt that bad. My teacher would do it in the classroom. Smack. That sucked.

But out in hall... with another teacher supervising... THWACKEM.

Maybe there wouldnt so many school shootings, if there was more school discipline.

|Zach|
05-09-2005, 05:48 PM
I was not spanked and I have no children that I am aware of.

teedubya
05-09-2005, 05:52 PM
I was not spanked and I have no children that I am aware of.

You probably should have been spanked... a lot.

|Zach|
05-09-2005, 05:54 PM
You probably should have been spanked... a lot.
I was a pretty laid back mild mannered kid.

Hydrae
05-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I was certainly spanked and my kids were as well. The youngest is 10 now though and I honestly do not remember when the last time was I had to spank any of them.

It really seems to be most effective when they are small and you can't really reason with them. Instead they learn not to touch the stove because their hand gets smacked. Better than learning at two years old not to touch the stove because it burnt their fingers off.

Ultra Peanut
05-09-2005, 06:01 PM
If by "spank my child" you mean "masturbate," then yes.

Bwana
05-09-2005, 06:02 PM
When I was in high school the dean of boys had some nasty chunk of wood, a paddle with air holes drilled through it. The damn thing even had a name which I don't recall at this point. This guy was a big bastard that was drafted as a tackle by the then Los Angeles Rams. Thank God the guy liked me and let me slide a few times when I should have been on the wrong end of his torture device. I worked in his office for a short time for a class credit and some of the noises that came out of his office when he would break that bad boy out were unreal. You would see these guys limp out of his office with the " I just got hit by a train" look on their face.

Simplex3
05-09-2005, 06:03 PM
We use spanking as an attention-getter with both our 3yr old and our 1yr old. If they aren't listening and it's something important a quick "pop" gets them listening. You can't over-use it, though.

We also aren't afraid to use the eye-for-an-eye trick. The older one will sometimes get in the mood to push the younger one down, so I'll walk up and shove her to the ground. She gets the point.

teedubya
05-09-2005, 06:04 PM
When I was in high school the dean of boys had some nasty chunk of wood, a paddle with air holes drilled through it. The damn thing even had a name which I don't recall at this point. This guy was a big bastard that was drafted as a tackle by the then Los Angeles Rams. Thank God the guy liked me and let me slide a few times when I should have been on the wrong end of his torture device. I worked in his office for a short time for a class credit and some of the noises that came out of his office when he would break that bad boy out were unreal. You would see these guys limp out of his office with the " I just got hit by a train" look on their face.

All punishments were under another teacher/faculty supervision.

Rain Man
05-09-2005, 06:07 PM
That's what happens when you get spanked on the wrong side. :D

"Ruprecht, am I going to have to use the genital cuff?"

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/Images/DirtyRottenScoundrels/DirtyRottenScoundrels1.jpg

Bwana
05-09-2005, 06:13 PM

http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/Images/DirtyRottenScoundrels/DirtyRottenScoundrels1.jpg

:D

Hydrae
05-09-2005, 06:14 PM

Hehe, one of my favorite movies of all time. :thumb:

KCFalcon59
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I have and will spank my kids when they deserve it. My daughter was last spanked when she was a toddler for something menial that I can't even remember. I think I have spanked her maybe twice. She is 9 years old and a well behaved girl. My son on the other hand usually gets a swat about once a year. He is more stubborn than my daughter. He is 7, also well behaved. He really has to push it for me to spank him.

Sparhawk
05-09-2005, 06:39 PM
I was spanked as a child and my three children were spanked as well. All three of my kids (17,19,&21 now) were brought up to have manners, and know the difference between right and wrong. I couldn't be more pleased with how each of them have turned out! In my opinion a single swat on the rear can often straighten out a kid that has a problem with minding a parent. A spanking is only a form of behaviour modification, which for years has been documented to work well with children, mentally retarded, etc. While spanking in government mental hospitals is against the law, use of behavior modification is not.

Fairplay
05-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Myself and my siblings were only spanked as needed. I believe i recieved my last spanking (from my folks) at age 9.
Bascially you learned quickly how far to push your folks. And i learned quick how far you could do it. I think they are good if used within reson and the child understands why they are being punished.

patteeu
05-09-2005, 06:58 PM
I use waterboarding.

Nzoner
05-09-2005, 07:03 PM
I got my butt beat fairly regularly with everything from a flyswatter to a tree switch across the back of the legs and then in school a few times with a wooden paddle.

I have no kids by choice for two reasons,I can be way too selfish at times and my temper and kids wouldn't mix.

FallingAlice
05-09-2005, 07:18 PM
anyway, that is my rant. If people werent such pussies/pamperers with their kids... the US wouldnt be full of so many pussies.

I don't get it. Usually the guys on this board are complaining about there not being enough pussies in the US.

Geezum crow. It's impossible to keep up with you all. So which is it?

A little consistency is all I ask.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 07:27 PM
I got whooped as a kid, and can only remember once that I spanked my nine year old. I kind of have a booming voice when I try, and scaring the shit out of your child with the voice and the look is every bit as good as spanking, imo.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Does that make me a bad enough person that Jenny Gump has to spank me?

Phobia
05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I got my ass kicked as a child. It's still swollen.

I spanked my oldest two children. My wife has negotiated a peace treaty with the youngest. We're due to re-open talks on her 2nd birthday. I'm not lobbying to reinstitute corporal punishment. She doesn't need it.

keg in kc
05-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I was spanked as a kid, but not often, and for me it wasn't much of a deterrent. I was smart enough to when I f*cked up; I didn't need a beating to tell me.

The only person I spank now is myself. I find that's the best way to avoid troubling kids. Don't have any.

Hammock Parties
05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
I posted a similar poll a few months ago.

Hammock Parties
05-09-2005, 07:41 PM
I was spanked many times.

In the unlikely event I reproduce, I probably won't spank my kids. I think there are far more evil ways to torture them.

go bo
05-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I posted a similar poll a few months ago.ahhh, yes...

but YOU are go chiefs...

so says go bo...

(odd how those names are similar, isn't it?)

(maybe we're both really alter egos of sdchiefsfan... :shrug: )

Inspector
05-09-2005, 07:43 PM
My 5 sons are all bigger than me.

My spanking days are behind me.

Mastashake
05-09-2005, 07:59 PM
I would get smacked up beside the head, but never as a normal means of punishment, usually something to do when my mom was PMSing.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but it should be used as a last resort. Too many bad parents out there use it as an easy way out of teaching a lesson to their kid. Once a child has the power of reason, I don't think it's a useful tool, other than to those who don't feel in control of their kids and need to reaffirm they're the parent.

Mastashake

el borracho
05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
I was spanked only very rarely as a kid. I think spanking is a useful and effective way to coerce good behavior but should be very rare.

I also attended school where rulers on knucles was allowed. I don't remember ever earning that treatment, though.

Saulbadguy
05-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Sometimes...I had to do something really bad though. I don't have kids, and probably won't for quite a few years, but I think i'll reserve the spanking for "special" occasions.

Hammock Parties
05-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I think i'll reserve the spanking for "special" occasions.

Like when they attempt to watch Star Trek?

Saulbadguy
05-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Like when they attempt to watch Star Trek?
Heh. Hopefully they won't turn to the darkside of the sci-fi universe...which is Star Trek. Or Battlestar Galactica..or even worse, Stargate SG-1.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Heh. Hopefully they won't turn to the darkside of the sci-fi universe...which is Star Trek. Or Battlestar Galactica..or even worse, Stargate SG-1.

Heyheyhey! Easy with the Battlestar Glactica smack!

Hammock Parties
05-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Heyheyhey! Easy with the Battlestar Glactica smack!

Why? It's just a ripoff of Star Wars.

Bowser
05-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Why? It's just a ripoff of Star Wars.

That's a reach, isn't it? For me, I've always seen them as totally different storeylines. Are you referring to the old or new series?

Hammock Parties
05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
That's a reach, isn't it? For me, I've always seen them as totally different storeylines. Are you referring to the old or new series?

Well, the old one was for sure. Lucas tried to sue.

The new one is just a remake of a ripoff.

teedubya
05-09-2005, 08:29 PM
stay on topic or else Im beating both your asses.

Hammock Parties
05-09-2005, 08:33 PM
stay on topic or else Im beating both your asses.

This thread is gay anyway. I posted the same topic a few months ago.

tommykat
05-09-2005, 10:32 PM
You forgot people that didn't have children........I had to go out and cut my own switch....assuming most uderstand..limb from tree. CHIT.....talk about whelps!!:deevee:

el borracho
05-09-2005, 10:38 PM
I had to go out and cut my own switch....
That is awful! If I had known you then, I would have gone and cut it for you. ;)

tommykat
05-09-2005, 10:39 PM
That is awful! If I had known you then, I would have gone and cut it for you. ;)

BITE ME~ ;)