PDA

View Full Version : Post college life

Dunit35
05-10-2005, 10:24 PM
How many of you were in debt when you graduated from college? I'm getting ready to be a freshman next year and I had to borrow around 12 grand in loans because the government wouldnt give me any grants...My dad is extremely worrried that hes gonna be 40 grand in debt from my college life when I graduate. I know I am gonna be in debt when I graduate..One loan the school gave me wont let me apply for it myself and my dad has to get it...which will put him in debt...Im a little nervous about all of it myself...What does everyone think?

Phobia
05-10-2005, 10:25 PM
I think you should check into the military if you're incredibly worried about it.

Or you can finish college and give the military 4 years and depending on your scores, grades, branch, and degree they'll pay off your loans.

Dunit35
05-10-2005, 10:28 PM
I just dont think I could handle being in the military personally..nothin against it though...I'd rather be 40 grand in debt then my dad...but I dont know if this loan will let me apply for it myself....

Phobia
05-10-2005, 10:29 PM
I just dont think I could handle being in the military personally..nothin against it though...I'd rather be 40 grand in debt then my dad...but I dont know if this loan will let me apply for it myself....

It's not that bad, especially as an officer.

Mecca
05-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Well I hope you're going to college for something that pays well and you can get a job in. I know to many people that went to college for 4 years and now do something that has nothing at all to do with their degrees. Then they bitch about wasting money and 4 years of their lifes to get a degree they don't even use.

trndobrd
05-10-2005, 10:33 PM
GI bill can certainly help through college, so can a part time job.

You had to take out 12k in loans, not because the Government didn't give you any grants, but because you chose to attend college, and chose to attend one that costs $12k or more.

Bottom line, you need to do a cost/benefit analysis. Is the amount you stand to make over the first 10 years after you graduate greater than what you would make going to a different school or not at all? Is that difference enough to cover the cost of your loans?

Or you could skip college entirely and see how much that costs.

Iowanian
05-10-2005, 10:33 PM
My family didn't have enough to help with college beyond the "here's $20 son" my freshman year.

I went 5 years on loans and a small percentage of grants.

I paid extra every month I could (even $25)....paid them off in 8 years. Broke free of those chains this year.

Paid my own broke ass through college and am proud of it. You can do it.

Dunit35
05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
When I think of Boot camp I cant help but think of Srgnt. Hartman? in Full Metal Jacket.... I have thought about it before but only if there was something as horrid as WWII...

Dunit35
05-10-2005, 10:39 PM
Well I hope you're going to college for something that pays well and you can get a job in. I know to many people that went to college for 4 years and now do something that has nothing at all to do with their degrees. Then they bitch about wasting money and 4 years of their lifes to get a degree they don't even use.

I plan on getting a degree in History and being a high school teacher, minor is going to be coaching/physical education..I would like to teach at a 5a or 6a school hopefully in or around the KC area..I know teaching doesnt make a lot of money....

Dunit35
05-10-2005, 10:42 PM
My family didn't have enough to help with college beyond the "here's $20 son" my freshman year.

I went 5 years on loans and a small percentage of grants.

I paid extra every month I could (even $25)....paid them off in 8 years. Broke free of those chains this year.

Paid my own broke ass through college and am proud of it. You can do it.

I got the PLUS loan and it stated that I could not apply for the loan unless I was an independent student and Im not...so they said my dad had to apply for it..wouldnt that mean he is the one who is gonna be in debt..?

Pants
05-10-2005, 10:48 PM
I plan on getting a degree in History and being a high school teacher, minor is going to be coaching/physical education..I would like to teach at a 5a or 6a school hopefully in or around the KC area..I know teaching doesnt make a lot of money....

Actually, there is a huge shortage of teachers right now, they are hiring anyone and anybody right now. By the time you're out of college we might have a president that actually cares about education. Just make sure not to work in Missouri.

Iowanian
05-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't know about that loan. I know that my loans didn't begin until 6months after I left college(graduated in my case). They were low interest rates after that.

I think the PLUS is the one the parent has to assume and pay as they go.

You can work during school, and do what I did in the summers. I traveled and did road construction, auto crusher, went to colorado and worked for a builder etc....anything that allowed me to work alot of hrs, paid decent and I saved. My goal was 3-4K in the bank at the end of each summer....

Truthfully....I do use my college degree, but the construction stuff has been as useful.

Miles
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
I got the PLUS loan and it stated that I could not apply for the loan unless I was an independent student and Im not...so they said my dad had to apply for it..wouldnt that mean he is the one who is gonna be in debt..?

As I understand it PLUS loans are for parents taking out the loan to pay for your tuition. So yes your dad would be in debt here.

Check out Safford loans. These are the ones you apply for yourself if an independent.

http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/students/publications/student_guide/2003_2004/english/types-stafford.htm

Iowanian
05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
By the time you're out of college we might have a president that actually cares about education. .

Thats a pretty douchee thing to say, considering how much Bush Talks about education, and the NCLB act. While it might not be the ideal program(I know teachers don't like it)....Its at least an Attempt...which is more than can be said for a long time. Crikey...it even came with the help of Mr Bourbon Kennedy.

wutamess
05-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Well since I'm a recent college grad, (1999 damn I'm getting old), I had to take out 4 years worth of loans and currently just paid one of the 4 off.

The school/college name matter to a degree. If you're gonna go to Duke (example) for prestige and have to take out $12k loans per year, I'd say it better be in a damn good field.

Basically don't get caught up in the name game. The name will only take you so far. All employers are concerned with is the fact that you have a degree and that you had the determination and devotion (forgot the third D) to complete 4 years of post high school education.

I wouldn't get my parents or me into a shit load of debt at the moment just because the college name is prestiguous. Little do you know (I've taken collegiate courses at a lot of different venues) and they all basically teach the same subjects.

Only reason I'd say go for prestige is if you're entering the medical field. For instance Rockhurst & Washington university's have one of the best physical therapy programs in the nation. MIT & Berkley has the best Computer Science programs in the nation. Catch my drift?

I doubt it that you're MIT, Rockhurst, Berkley, or Washington material if you're having to pay your way through college.

oh.. back to my point...
If I did it all over again. I'd probably go to the local community college first. (REALLY CHEAP and a surprisingly great education for the price). then I'd finish at a university out of state atleast 50 miles away.

Having said that... I graduated with a Computer Science degree from a school you've never heard of (Lane College). So just the fact that you've earned a degree will get you the job you want.

The biggest thing you'll never be told is that even when you do graduate from college, chances are you won't get that $45k-$50k /yr job you hear all these college grads getting lucky with.

So depending on your major, you'll start out at the bottom of the totem poll when you get a job because you're fresh meat withno experience.

Moral of the story: Get the best education for the money & don't put too much stock in a college name.

Feel free to tip your waiter.

Pants
Thats a pretty douchee thing to say, considering how much Bush Talks about education, and the NCLB act. While it might not be the ideal program(I know teachers don't like it)....Its at least an Attempt...which is more than can be said for a long time. Crikey...it even came with the help of Mr Bourbon Kennedy.

LOL

Chill. I'm not going to go into the whole president thing, what I meant to say is that maybe the situation might be better once he graduates.

trndobrd

A history degree is great (I've got one myself) but doesn't qualify you to teach. You're going to have to get a degree in education in order to get a teaching certificate.

wutamess
05-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Didn't read your major before I posted...

Expect to start out at around $30 by the time you graduate. I do think if you sign a contract for 2 yrs you can get the school to pay your loan off.

Might want to look into that.

Having said that... I still wouldn't go to a TOP NOTCH college to be a history major. Tyton75 is a history major and he's now a level 3 computer technician. Just goes to show you how you may never even use your degree. Think wisely about getting you or your parents in debt over a college name and prestige.

Iowanian
05-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Like roger...

I honestly don't know how, or why people go to the $20k/yr private schools, unless its for a very specified reason. IMO, after your first job(other than MD, JD type stuff) I don't think the University really matters. I'm sure Notre Dame looks great on a resume', but unless you're trying to work for Trump...I just don't think it matters.

If I were doing college over again, hindsight being 20/20....I'd have done 2 major things differently.
1. first year or two at a CC
2. Make myself spend 1hr in the library studying every day..homework-test-or not.

3. Boned that gal that I never hit on, who at a conference 4-5 years ago told me I oculd have had some....could break walnuts on dat ass.

wutamess
05-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Iowa...
How'd you know I was Roger?
Is there a memo I missed or something?
Do mod's see my old poster name?
Or did you get it from another thread or something?

Just wondering.

wutamess
05-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Dunit... if you have any more questions my office hours are M-F 8-5.

I take cash, cashier checks, & paypal payments.

Iowanian
05-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Iowa...
How'd you know I was Roger?
Is there a memo I missed or something?
Do mod's see my old poster name?
Or did you get it from another thread or something?

Just wondering.

Sorry...I just remember from previous conversations. Its spooky how much detail we pick up about other posters over the years.

They don't have the Baows around here to make me a Mod. I'd decline, because I enjoy my roll as Hooligan too much.

I'll stick to calling you wutamess from now on....I don't like to be called by my name by those who know. I picked a handle for a reason...so everyone wouldn't call me Bob Gretz and get me in trouble at work.

wutamess
05-10-2005, 11:24 PM
I'll stick to calling you wutamess from now on....I don't like to be called by my name by those who know. I picked a handle for a reason...so everyone wouldn't call me Bob Gretz and get me in trouble at work.

ROFL

It's cool I was just wondering if my name appeared as Roger (which is what it was before).

mcan
05-10-2005, 11:46 PM
You're going to be in debt... That much is for sure. Work hard during the summer and pay some of it off. Make sure that you don't have any external debt while you're IN college (IE: credit cards, car payment, financing furniture or appliances, etc...) Those are the things that kill you. School debt is VERY low interest, and it's managable even in large sums. But, even half that amount of debt in other forms can put you in a serious amount of hurt.

While you're in college, live well below your means. When you first get that loan money, you'll be wanting to go out and buy a big screen TV. Believe me, the money doesn't last the whole year if you spend freely. Write out ALL of your rent checks for the semester the first day you move in, and deduct them. Then mail them. Don't even think of it as your money. Bills, food, cell phone... Try to budget, but nobody ever does this very well, and by the end of each semester, you'll see a can of soup and think you hit the damned lottery. If you get a job, try and get one that pays cash, and use THAT cash for your fun and games. Use the loan money for NEEDS only.

That's all the advice I can give. OH yeah.. Also there's three things you can do to ensure that you will be successful in your classes:

1. Go to class
2. Go to class
3. Go to class

3A: Make sure your teacher(s) know(s) your first name...

cdcox
05-11-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm a university professor and I'll tell you straight out if your career plans are to be a high school teacher, you don't need a high dollar degree. There are some fields that it pays to get the best school that you can get into and afford, but K-12 education isn't one of them. An in-state school is fine, and you will be doing yourself a big favor by avoiding extra debt.

Demonpenz
05-11-2005, 12:39 AM
I know one thing i thought i was cool going into the workforce with my degree like i was going to run shit like i was a baller or something. After ****ing up everything i got taken down a peg or four.

mcan
05-11-2005, 03:26 AM
I'm curious... do most folks read mcan's post and think, "Are you kidding me? Would a college kid on loans really buy a big screen?" Or think, "Man, that's good advice, I wish someone had told me."

Just trying to gauge the difference in my life experience to the "average" person. My impression of both of my parents is that they grew up in less than affluent households... they were pretty tight with money as I was growing up, and that's what I've always attributed it to. (Though, I must admit, not as tight as Phil's parents apparently.) While I've been more than free with my money since graduating (hell, I thought I was rich), when I was in college spending $20 made my asshole pucker. And I was on a full ride and then some.

Everybody I know spends like it's Christmas when they get their loan checks. Everybody I know doesn't have a dime to their name when December hits. Then they do it again the next semester.

wildcat09
05-11-2005, 03:30 AM
i know retail stores loved it when loan checks came in. it was always obvious on campus who got the biggest loan checks or grants. they came to class the next day pimped out.

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 03:33 AM
hmm, I try to throw most of my loan checks into my checking account and leave it there. So far Ive been pretty good about it too, actually.

wildcat09
05-11-2005, 03:40 AM
hmm, I try to throw most of my loan checks into my checking account and leave it there. So far Ive been pretty good about it too, actually.

your a wise man. :thumb:

grandllama
05-11-2005, 03:46 AM
Lucky? I don't consider a 45-50K starting salary w/ a CompSci degree lucky so much as minimum.

Yo Brian, pull your head out of that Arizona sunshine... I've got a Master's (compsci) now and the job offers are less than that.... that's why I'm still perfectly happy doing the DJ thing...

Hammock Parties
05-11-2005, 04:07 AM
Everybody I know spends like it's Christmas when they get their loan checks. Everybody I know doesn't have a dime to their name when December hits. Then they do it again the next semester.

Um, what happened to spending money for classes?

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 04:08 AM
Um, what happened to spending money for classes?
There is typically a little extra left over, what you recieve is actually a refund check for money over the balance from the school.

mcan
05-11-2005, 04:16 AM
There is typically a little extra left over, what you recieve is actually a refund check for money over the balance from the school.

For many people (who go to school entirely on loans and grants) there is LOT left over. At least it seems like a lot when they hand you a check for a couple thousand dollars. But that money is supposed to go to your rent and food for 4 or 5 months...

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 04:24 AM
For many people (who go to school entirely on loans and grants) there is LOT left over. At least it seems like a lot when they hand you a check for a couple thousand dollars. But that money is supposed to go to your rent and food for 4 or 5 months...
Hehe, well, I lived in the dorms the first year, so not much was left over. This year should be better though, rent will be cut down substantially after moving out. I certainly gleaned no great deal of money, however. (Damned parents... JK)

Braincase
05-11-2005, 04:34 AM
A. If you're worried about cost, go to a cheaper school. If you're in Kansas, KU, K-State and Wichita State are solid schools, and tremendous values.

B. Work your ass off, get good grades, work within your major @ the school and you'll get academic scholarships. My wife went to Iowa, earned bachelor's and master's degrees in Mechanical Engineering (Biomaterials) and earned enough on scholarship that she only had $1500.00 in debt to students loans coming out.

C. G.I. Bill. or Peace Corp. Maybe go to school part time. DO what ever you have to do, but by all means get your paper before the age of 25.

D. Don't party your way out of school. Get your paper, then become a drunk (see ENDelt for more advice there).

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 04:36 AM
A. If you're worried about cost, go to a cheaper school. If you're in Kansas, KU, K-State and Wichita State are solid schools, and tremendous values.

B. Work your ass off, get good grades, work within your major @ the school and you'll get academic scholarships. My wife went to Iowa, earned bachelor's and master's degrees in Mechanical Engineering (Biomaterials) and earned enough on scholarship that she only had $1500.00 in debt to students loans coming out.

C. G.I. Bill. or Peace Corp. Maybe go to school part time. DO what ever you have to do, but by all means get your paper before the age of 25.

D. Don't party your way out of school. Get your paper, then become a drunk (see ENDelt for more advice there).
Im thinking Peace Corp would be fun. I think you have to have a degree to apply though.

Fat Elvis
05-11-2005, 05:30 AM
If I had it all over to do again, I would get all my basic prereqs out of the way at a community college.

If you can, go local (at least instate) given your major--trust me it will change, prolly several times. Work a part time job. The discipline needed for a job will help translate well into the classroom. Plus, if you are working, you are spending time making money in college--time that would prolly be otherwise spent spending money; it just works that way in college.

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 05:31 AM
If I had it all over to do again, I would get all my basic prereqs out of the way at a community college.

If you can, go local (at least instate) given your major--trust me it will change, prolly several times. Work a part time job. The discipline needed for a job will help translate well into the classroom. Plus, if you are working, you are spending time making money in college--time that would prolly be otherwise spent spending money; it just works that way in college.
I definitely work while in college. That is my spending money.

Pants
05-11-2005, 05:41 AM
And dude, I kid you not, it gets harder and harder going to classes every semester. My 1st semester of freshmen year I went to pretty much every class, very rarely skipping (99% not intentional). My second semester (after acing my 1st) I started to relax and be a little lazy. By sophomore year, I REALLY started skipping, sleeping in, etc. This semester (2nd, soph), I really had to work hard on myself to motivate myself to go to class, but started slacking off by the end once again. Listen to this advice, never relax and always go to class, because once you taste the "freedom", it's really hard to go back to the "old ways".

Hammock Parties
05-11-2005, 05:42 AM
And dude, I kid you not, it gets harder and harder going to classes every semester. My 1st semester of freshmen year I went to pretty much every class, very rarely skipping (99% not intentional). My second semester (after acing my 1st) I started to relax and be a little lazy. By sophomore year, I REALLY started skipping, sleeping in, etc. This semester (2nd, soph), I really had to work hard on myself to motivate myself to go to class, but started slacking off by the end once again. Listen to this advice, never relax and always go to class, because once you taste the "freedom", it's really hard to go back to the "old ways".

Story of my life.

Braincase
05-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Im thinking Peace Corp would be fun. I think you have to have a degree to apply though.

Of course you do. CIA wouldn't have it any other way.

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Of course you do. CIA wouldn't have it any other way.
I do not grasp your implications, please explain.

Braincase
05-11-2005, 05:49 AM
I do not grasp your implications, please explain.

Er, uh, the Peace Corps has NEVER been used as an intelligence gathering cover for the CIA... NEVER!

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Er, uh, the Peace Corps has NEVER been used as an intelligence gathering cover for the CIA... NEVER!
Id be ok with being in the CIA...

Jenson71
05-11-2005, 05:59 AM
I just read this thread and it came to me that I don't want to grow up.

Pants
05-11-2005, 06:00 AM

It has its advantages like... uhhh...yeah, I'm depressed now.

1adam1238
05-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Teachers in some areas have special deals with student loans. When my ex-wife and I graduated from CMSU we moved to the state of Nevada. In some rural areas, the student loans are paid by the government for teachers that are in need. It is something to look at once you graduate.

ExtremeChief
05-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Teachers in some areas have special deals with student loans. When my ex-wife and I graduated from CMSU we moved to the state of Nevada. In some rural areas, the student loans are paid by the government for teachers that are in need. It is something to look at once you graduate.

One of my wife's student loans was paid for by teaching in a 'rural' community for 3 or 5 years (I can't remember which). But that doesn't apply to all loans. My son is going to a 19K university in the fall, but that is just so he can play football, if it wasn't for that, he would be going to a juco/cc FOR FREE through the A+ program.

BigRedChief
05-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Did it twice. Rebounded financially both times. Pay money to make money should be your mantra. Education is the magic bullett.

HC_Chief
05-11-2005, 07:43 AM

What he said.

FTR, I went the route detailed in B. I was debt-free out of college :D
Other than a mortgage and my wife's college loans (grrr), I'm debt-free now. :thumb:

Skip Towne
05-11-2005, 07:49 AM
It's not that bad, especially as an officer.
It IS that bad. Just the other day they had Cntrygal out filling sandbags at 3 in the morning in a hailstorm. And she's been in 15 years.

HC_Chief
05-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Id be ok with being in the CIA...

No doubt... you ever seen "American Dad"? He gets to do all kinds of kewl stuffs. :D

Iowanian
05-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Another Piece of advice..

On your first day, calculate the dollars you spend per class period for each class. Devide your total spent by the number of days on each syllibus.

It'll probably come out to $30-$40/class/day.

That way, every time you think about hitting that snooze button and sleep through class, or watch that Dukes of Hazard rerun instead of going to the math class you hate.......Just realize that in 5 years, you're going to have to work 2-3hrs to repay that nap.

Delt...
I had a roomate after college, who I knew when he was a freshman(kind from my hometown from my sibling's class).....He was very bright, came to college on some pretty decent scholarships, but still got loans.......He joined the Abercrombie-wearing-dooshy-Fraternity(thats right, Iowanian said it Delta Chi, you pee drinkers)....and trying to keep up with suburban Chicagoites, racked up big CC debt and had to leave school. He did regroup, got a 2yr tech degree and is doing very well now....But I know it hurt for a while. Crikey...the poor kid had to live with me for 2 yrs.

Demonpenz
05-11-2005, 08:12 AM
i was just going to post that Idub. If you knew that an hour out of your day costs you 55 bucks you will atleast go to the class

Hammock Parties
05-11-2005, 08:17 AM
I always thought that was bullshit reasoning.

You pay the money for that class so you can take it and tick something else off on your degree.

I'd rather look back and smile on a class I slept halfway through and still got an A.

Skip Towne
05-11-2005, 08:21 AM
You don't HAVE to grow up. Get with Gochiefs for specifics.

Iowanian
05-11-2005, 08:22 AM
...and not actually Learn anything, while paying back your nap with 6% interest. Consider that if your first Loan payment is $400, its probably $25 in principle, and it will take you 2 months at that rate, the first year to pay off every nap you take.

I took plenty of naps, and chose to drink beer a couple of nice afternoons instead of hitting a class.

I speak from experience, and know what I'd do differently. I completely understand why the "non-traditional students" did so much better than we did. Its because they understood the value of the money spent on the class, realized that 2hrs writinga paper or studying was no big deal, and went to class every day.

Thats why they regularly effed up the Curve everyone else was counting on.

Demonpenz
05-11-2005, 08:24 AM
well also non trads already had their time being young and stupid and thats why they went back to school because they wanted a better job. Me on the other hand i didn't really go to college to get a better job. I did it to put off getting a real job for 4 (5) more years :)

KCTitus
05-11-2005, 08:27 AM
I racked up 31,000 by the time I graduated college in 1991. Im still paying the loans today. Granted, Im down to my last 500 bucks or so, but over time, I figure that I paid about 75k in total to repay those loans.

It can be done.

Otter
05-11-2005, 08:27 AM
...and not actually Learn anything, while paying back your nap with 6% interest. Consider that if your first Loan payment is $400, its probably $25 in principle, and it will take you 2 months at that rate, the first year to pay off every nap you take.

I took plenty of naps, and chose to drink beer a couple of nice afternoons instead of hitting a class.

I speak from experience, and know what I'd do differently. I completely understand why the "non-traditional students" did so much better than we did. Its because they understood the value of the money spent on the class, realized that 2hrs writinga paper or studying was no big deal, and went to class every day.

Thats why they regularly effed up the Curve everyone else was counting on.Rat Bastards!!! My Granpa fought in the war so I wouldn't have to worry about high curves when I was in college!!! Commie non-trads!!!

:cuss:

I'm down to about $7000 from $24,000. My family was just too big to put me through along with everyone else. Only my oldest and youngest sister got the benefit of big help from the parents but that's it.

Iowanian
05-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I'd also like to say, that some of the classes I blew off, because it was crap I'd never use............would be very, very helpful, since I'm working in the profession those courses dealt with.

My Work life would be alot easier today, if I'd worked a little harder in that Geometry class I hated and did horrible in, another math class, and some of the Profession specific courses I blew off and did the work in the lab, or got a good lab partner to do the work.

Today, 10 years later....I wish I'd gone to a few more of those classes, paid better attention, and worked to actually LEARn the material. There is a difference between learning, and cramming for the test.

I guess the only people I knew in college who understood that were my buddies in the Pre-Vet/Med programs. they had to LEARN that anatomy, while I Crammed for Anatomy/physiology and kinetics to pass the tests.

Those guys could probably still resite the face muscles of the shark.......I have to make up funny words for Weiner.

KCTitus
05-11-2005, 08:36 AM
One of my philosophy profs said about college tuition something to the effect, "You think college is expensive, consider how expensive ignorance is". I dont remember how he said it exactly, but that was pretty close

1adam1238
05-11-2005, 08:39 AM
The bottom line is: do whatever you have to do to get an education. If you have to borrow money on a student loan...then do it. I know in my field, my education has helped me big time. I graduated in 1989 with a criminal justice degree and now am an associate warden at a maximum security prison...never thought I would end up here, but with the student loans....it helped.

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 08:42 AM
My family went bankrupt at the end of my junior year in high school, and in the process I lost the money I'd been saving from my high school jobs. (Note: bad idea to have a savings account cosigned with your parents when they're having financial problems).

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get lots of scholarships and poor enough to get lots of grants. The key, though, was that I went into the financial aid office before I even started college and told them my situation and said, "Anything you see that I can apply for, please let me know." I then did the same with the professor who ran the departmental scholarships. I went back every couple of months to check in with them, and it paid off. I got to be good pals with the woman who ran the scholarship program, and she helped me out, and one of the professors also got me occasional work gigs both in the school year and in the summer. As a result, I got out of school with less than $3,000 in debt, and that was only because I took out a loan my last year so I could live a little.

The key, though, is to really look hard for opportunities and to get other people to look on your behalf as well.

Skip Towne
05-11-2005, 08:48 AM
My family went bankrupt at the end of my junior year in high school, and in the process I lost the money I'd been saving from my high school jobs. (Note: bad idea to have a savings account cosigned with your parents when they're having financial problems).

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get lots of scholarships and poor enough to get lots of grants. The key, though, was that I went into the financial aid office before I even started college and told them my situation and said, "Anything you see that I can apply for, please let me know." I then did the same with the professor who ran the departmental scholarships. I went back every couple of months to check in with them, and it paid off. I got to be good pals with the woman who ran the scholarship program, and she helped me out, and one of the professors also got me occasional work gigs both in the school year and in the summer. As a result, I got out of school with less than $3,000 in debt, and that was only because I took out a loan my last year so I could live a little.

The key, though, is to really look hard for opportunities and to get other people to look on your behalf as well.
Bah! Don't give me that hard work bullshit. America doesn't work that way anymore. Just steal someone's identity and put the loans in their name.

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Bah! Don't give me that hard work bullshit. America doesn't work that way anymore. Just steal someone's identity and put the loans in their name.

Admittedly, that helped, too.

ck_IN
05-11-2005, 09:49 AM
12 grand? Damm where are you going to school?

Seriously you may have to scale down your college experience if you're worried about the debt and I'm glad to hear that you are. It seems so many people regard debt as no big deal. It seems to me as a lousy way to start off adult life.

Personally I turned a profit when I went to school. I had several schollarships that paid for tution and books and had a little left over that went to me. The tradeoff was I lived at home and commuted to Missouri Western. I didn't play frisbee on the quad or have late night coffee in the student union or hang out at the frats. I got my two degrees and graduated with zero debt. It wasn't glamorous but it has been effective.

Another option is to join the Reserves or ROTC. The military gives great education benefits but there is a tradeoff.

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Another option is to join the Reserves or ROTC. The military gives great education benefits but there is a tradeoff.

(Insert the sound of babbling arabic voices and a bullet ricocheting off of body armor here.)

ck_IN
05-11-2005, 09:57 AM
*LOL*

I did note there was a tradeoff Rain Man. In my opinion joining the Reserves or ROTC right now is making a bet that things will calm down in the next 4 to 5 years. If a person isn't willing to make that bet then fine. If they are then the payoff is great tution benefits.

Bob Dole
05-11-2005, 09:58 AM
Bob Dole's entire degree cost him less than $500. Paying $12k for 100 level courses is absolutely insane.

Sorry, but the rules of grammar, composition, mathematics and ethics are the same whether you're learning them at the local community college or Yale.

redbrian
05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Didn’t read all of the comments so if I’m repeating anything I apologize in advance.

Here is my two cents, take it for what it’s worth.

First and it sounds like it may be too late for this, go to a JuCo for the first two years, this will save a bundle.

Second get off of the milk wagon, your dad will lose the tax break but you don’t have to saddle him with anymore loans as they will only look at what you are making to determine your eligibility for grants.

The military is not a bad option, but do it smart, see if you can get into an Air National Guard unit. Basic training in the Air Force is a total joke and can be standing on your head (and I almost mean that literally). Physically it’s not tough at all, and a little ass chewing never hurt anyone. Most of your time is spent in a class room.
The other good thing about the Air National Guard is that it can lead to a real nice pension, and a nice little supplemental pay check.
And don’t worry about Iraq, pick an MOT like weather observer, you won’t be sent anywhere.

Another option if you are going to be a teacher is to teach in the inner-city for your first gig. Most times this means that your loans will be written off, but you have to deal with the headaches associated with the inner-city school district.

One last bit of advice you will need to be dual certified if you want to get hired quickly and make the highest pay, this would mean history and math or history and science, this is done in addition to coaching a sport.

Good luck teaching is a thankless bitch of a job, the wife has been a substitute teacher for years.

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Bob Dole's entire degree cost him less than $500. Paying $12k for 100 level courses is absolutely insane.

Sorry, but the rules of grammar, composition, mathematics and ethics are the same whether you're learning them at the local community college or Yale.

Texarkana: We Use the Same Math as Yale.

Bob Dole
05-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Texarkana: We Use the Same Math as Yale.

Bob Dole didn't go to school here, but he's heard that it's the same, except it's called cipherin'.

cdcox
05-11-2005, 10:41 AM
One point about departmental scholarships: departments such as engineering and business (where the alumni have made good money during their careers and are wanting to give something back to the university in gratitude) are going to have more scholarships availalbe than education or history. Scholarships are available in all disciplines, but much less competitive in certain fields. At least the top 1/3 of the students in my engineering department receive some kind of scholarship.

I hear General Contracting departments are pretty flush with scholarships, too.

Frosty
05-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Lotsa good info here.

I did the JuCo route. It was great, since it took me a while to settle in to what I wanted to do. I was positive that I wanted to go into accounting when I got out of HS. Started taking the classes and found I didn't like it at all. Went from that to business, to math teacher and finally settled into electrical engineering. All that flopping around was at the MUCH cheaper JuCo rates than the expensive university tuition.

I ended up with only $12K in loans, since I worked nights and summers. Even so, they take forever to pay off. I've had mine for 10 years and it was still at $7000 at the beginning of the year. Finally said screw it and put every dime into it and will pay it off tomorrow. Still ended up paying $9K in interest over the last 10 years.

Just to throw this out, my bro-in-law graduated two years ago with a history/education degree and got zero job offers, since there is huge glut of candidates. He had to go back and get his math certificate to get a job as a high school teacher. It also helped a lot in his job search that he had coaching experience. If you can get some in your off time, it will help.

Bottom line, if you are a lesbian, black female, you will go to school for free. If you are a not-rich, straight white male, expect to work your ass off and/or get into debt to get an education.

istas
05-11-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't know what college you're attending or what degree program you are going into, so this will be very generic advice.

Most 4 year colleges reguire around 120 credit hours of study for a BS degree.

60 c.h.'s can be transfered from a two year school.
30 more c.h.'s can be transfered from any four year school.
And 30 c.h.'s must be from the degree granting school.

Here's my advice. Live at home and get an A.S. from the local CC.
While doing this take on-line classes at a four year school like LSU.
Here's the link, http://www.is.lsu.edu/defaultsm.asp. Very cheap at $76/c.h. for classes at a four year college.

Then transfer all credits to the four year school you want to go to.
Just make sure you take courses that will apply to the BS degree you want. You may need to work with a college advisor to make sure the coursework will transfer properly. Hopefully you would only need to attend one year at the expensive school, but you will get the BS degree just like being there all four years.

You may want to also try the AF Reserve or Air National Guard. They have a Comm. College and some great college benefits available. My son gets $638/mo for the GI Bill plus $200/mo for his one weekend drill. He was able to transfer 25 credits from the CCAF to his four year college. You can also get an A.S. Degree from them.

Also try part-time work at Home Depot. They offer 50% tuition assistance up to 5k per year. Check out other company's as well.

Hope this helps you.

Otter
05-11-2005, 12:25 PM
All the advice you'll ever need can be found out by simply sitting down and investing 2 hours watching "Animal House".

I've been out of the loop for a little while but from what I could tell that the 'ol "I'm here to pick up Fawn Liebawitz" bit hasn't been used for a little while.

Just take a moment and scan the daily obituaries.

KC Kings
05-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Go to JuCo for two years first.
IMO, unless you have a scholarship or a rich daddy, you have no business going to a 12k a year school.

You can enlist in the military on 2 year terms, and get enough money in the GI bill for 3 years of school. If you have average or above average intelligence, you can also get a signing bonus just for going in. Go join the Navy and you can get your partying out of the way, get good training, and get out with enough money for school. That's what I did, but stayed a little longer than 2 years.

If you polay your cards right you can use the training you received to get a job that offers tuition reimbursement, and you can use that as well as the GI Bill, and end up making $400 a month by going to school, (but I would never double dip because that is wrong!)

Dunit35
05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
they actually gave me about 11,500 to go to school when the cost is actually around 9500 to attend for a full year the rest is just for spending money...like when I want to drive home or need supplies... Im not a big drinker so I dont have to worry about that too much...plan on taking the first semester off to watch KC games and watch my roomate play football, meet new people and get back into the flow of things...been out of school for a year now..been workin 40-45 a week ever since...im attending Fort Hays State University...

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't think $12K a year makes a school expensive these days. I think that's actually pretty reasonable.

I could be wrong, though.

Bob Dole
05-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Im not a big drinker so I dont have to worry about that too much...

That will last about 2 weeks...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Well since I'm a recent college grad, (1999 damn I'm getting old), I had to take out 4 years worth of loans and currently just paid one of the 4 off.

The school/college name matter to a degree. If you're gonna go to Duke (example) for prestige and have to take out $12k loans per year, I'd say it better be in a damn good field.

Basically don't get caught up in the name game. The name will only take you so far. All employers are concerned with is the fact that you have a degree and that you had the determination and devotion (forgot the third D) to complete 4 years of post high school education.

I wouldn't get my parents or me into a shit load of debt at the moment just because the college name is prestiguous. Little do you know (I've taken collegiate courses at a lot of different venues) and they all basically teach the same subjects.

Only reason I'd say go for prestige is if you're entering the medical field. For instance Rockhurst & Washington university's have one of the best physical therapy programs in the nation. MIT & Berkley has the best Computer Science programs in the nation. Catch my drift?

I doubt it that you're MIT, Rockhurst, Berkley, or Washington material if you're having to pay your way through college.

oh.. back to my point...
If I did it all over again. I'd probably go to the local community college first. (REALLY CHEAP and a surprisingly great education for the price). then I'd finish at a university out of state atleast 50 miles away.

Having said that... I graduated with a Computer Science degree from a school you've never heard of (Lane College). So just the fact that you've earned a degree will get you the job you want.

The biggest thing you'll never be told is that even when you do graduate from college, chances are you won't get that $45k-$50k /yr job you hear all these college grads getting lucky with.

So depending on your major, you'll start out at the bottom of the totem poll when you get a job because you're fresh meat withno experience.

Moral of the story: Get the best education for the money & don't put too much stock in a college name.

Feel free to tip your waiter.

Adding to this, it also helps to get intern jobs in the summer or even during the school year. There are 10,000+ people that will have the same degree you have and you will be competing with them for jobs, so an internship would be great experience, it would be needed. Any experience you can get in your field is great.

Also, in college, don't be a homebody. Be social. Be active in your school. Anymore, jobs look just as much at your social doings and activities as they do grades. Get involved. Plus, you'll make friends that will probably last a lifetime and they are potential job hook ups for you. Remember, it's not just the experience, it's also who you know that will get you hooked up with a good job.

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 02:05 PM
I must somewhat disagree with wutamess on a couple of issues. I think that employers definitely give more weight to a school that they've heard of. You get better jobs coming out of more well-known schools, because they get more recruiting traffic and get preference in the interview process.

That said, I don't think that you have to go to Yale or Princeton to get that benefit. A good state school will carry similar benefit, or a mid-tier private school. I don't think your job prospects are as good when you come from a tiny school that's unheard of outside its town.

In graduate school, I'd recommend foregoing everything and going to the best-known school you can find. In undergrad school you're seeking an education and employability, and in grad school you're doing that AND you're making contacts. If I had it to do over again, I'd go to a top Ivy League school for grad school, damn the costs.

cdcox
05-11-2005, 02:24 PM
In graduate school, I'd recommend foregoing everything and going to the best-known school you can find. In undergrad school you're seeking an education and employability, and in grad school you're doing that AND you're making contacts. If I had it to do over again, I'd go to a top Ivy League school for grad school, damn the costs.

Again the field of study is a factor in the decision. If you are going to graduate school in social work, there is no way a Harvard education will ever pay off, unless your long term career goal is to open a rehab clinic for the rich and famous.

Graduate school in Business, Law, Medicine, Engineering, Sciences, then yes it pays to go to a better school in many cases.

DTLB58
05-11-2005, 02:58 PM
According to Dave Ramsey, The average College student that graduated in 2004 had $27,900 in student loan debt.

My son just finished his freshman year at Iowa State with $12,000 in loan debt after his first year also. :banghead: :cuss: He is trying to get into the architecture program there. During orientation all the staff from ISU suggested very strongly that the students don't work there freshman year because the first year is a qualifying year after that yoou have to be accepted into the program based on your first year grades and portfolio.

Other than extreme siutuations like that. This is what Dave Ramsey preaches. Go to a state school where your total cost for a year are around $10,000-$12,000. Dave says you should be able to deliver pizza and make about $830 a month, multiply that by 12 and you come up with $9,960.00 a year toward your school.

My son just got hired at a pizza place to deliver for the summer and based on his hourly wage,price per deliver, and average tips he will be making $11.00. So I think that is duable to help keep those student loan debts way down.

Dayze
05-11-2005, 07:26 PM
I think you should check into the military if you're incredibly worried about it.

Or you can finish college and give the military 4 years and depending on your scores, grades, branch, and degree they'll pay off your loans.

Agreed completely. The cost of college is getting to the point of ridiculousness (sp?). Although, if I remember correctly, if the Armed services foots the bill for your college (ROTC, etc) you typically owe them 6 years.

Having said that, it's still a good choice. I did 4 years in the Navy as an enlisted man, and the time was the best thing I've ever done. At the time it was hard, but now I have a great job, good pay, house, wife, all before 28 yrs old. And no college debt.

As the man who hired/promoted me said.."Processes and degrees don't get things done. People do". I 'm of the same mentality. There are a lot of "educated' people at my company, but most leave alot to be desired. Granted, if your career choice is a CPA, Doctor, Engineer, etc.....then a degree is probably mandatory.

If i had it all to do over again, I would have got my sh*t together in High School, and gone to ROTC and given the services 6 years of my life. I'd be the same age I am now, but with a degree. Im working on mine now, but it's going to take a great deal of time.

Dayze
05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Having said that... I still wouldn't go to a TOP NOTCH college to be a history major. Tyton75 is a history major and he's now a level 3 computer technician. Just goes to show you how you may never even use your degree. Think wisely about getting you or your parents in debt over a college name and prestige.

:clap:
Exactly.

Bowser
05-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Me neither. Unfortunately, the rest of the world isn't cooperating with my plan.

Ha. I feel both your guys' pain.......

Bowser
05-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Heh... when I started college I was a complete nondrinker. Never had a drop of the stuff in my life. No cigarettes either. Hell, had never even *seen* any illegal substances. Hadn't even dipped my wick.

Funny how much can change in a couple years.

Damn! You didn't just break out of your shell, you took the pieces of your shell and threw them in the woodchipper!

grandllama
05-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Heh... maybe you shouldn't have gone to Call Me Stupid U.

I wouldn't have even considered an offer under 45 when I was graduating. Course, that was four and a half years ago. Who knows what grad seniors in comp sci at UMR are getting tossed at them now.

Yeah, forgot about that whole UMR thing... your starting salaries are your reward for putting up with the 'girls' at Rolla for 3.5 - 5.5 years...