PDA

View Full Version : MLB & International Baseball Federation announce 2006 baseball world cup

alnorth
05-11-2005, 09:53 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/050510worldcup.html

MLB and the International baseball federation has just announced that the first baseball world cup will be held next year in March, with 16 nations invited to participate. (To be named "the World Baseball Classic")

The first pool will be Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China playing round-robin games at Japan's Tokyo dome.

The second pool will be Puerto Rico, Cuba (for now, pending US State Dept approval and clearance from Fidel Castro), Panama and likely Italy (Italians play baseball?) playing their prelim games in Puerto Rico.

The Third pool will be the United States, Canada, Mexico and likely South Africa. The Fourth pool will be the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Australia and the Netherlands (they play baseball up there?). The final two pools will both play in sites throughout Arizona and Florida.

The top two teams in each pool will advance to the 2nd round to play another round-robin in major league baseball parks throughout the US. The top 4 teams will advance to a semifinal on March 18, with the final to be played on March 20, again at various MLB stadiums throughout the US.

No details yet on how often they plan on playing this baseball world cup, if itll be every 4 years, and where future world cups will be played.

Nightfyre
05-11-2005, 10:08 AM
This is a neat idea. Im curious as to how competitive it will be though...

alnorth
05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Keep in mind that baseball is a game where the best teams are about .650, and the worst teams not from Kansas City are about .350. So, even the worst teams have a decent chance at beating the best teams on any given night.

I like our chances of getting out of the pools during round-robin play since superior teams do well in a series of games, but in the semifinals who knows. If I have to bet on the US or the field, I'll take the field. Itd be interesting to see how the US reacts to losing the first baseball world cup in our own country.

chiefqueen
05-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I would like to congratulate Bud but when is this being held, -- March!!!!!!!!

What are most sports fans focusing on in March?????????

Nice timing Bud.

Dayze
05-11-2005, 07:50 PM
as long as it doesn't extend coverage of baseball on TV.

What's the baseball season up to now...11 months?
Good god.
It would probably take a 200 game season to decide who wins the Cup.

....*sigh*...when does football season start?

alnorth
05-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I would like to congratulate Bud but when is this being held, -- March!!!!!!!!

What are most sports fans focusing on in March?????????

Nice timing Bud.

What the hell choice did they have?!?

April through October is out. Spring training is in March, the only other thing we got is the NCAA tournament, and the final game is being held on a non-tourney night.

Surely you wouldnt suggest they try to compete with the NFL?

CoMoChief
05-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico would kick our ass. j/k

CoMoChief
05-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Those pitchers put all kinds of foerign shit on the ball. haha

stevieray
05-11-2005, 08:07 PM
"when everyone is special...no one is"

SCTrojan
05-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Depending on who plays, it could be interesting. They will face the same issues that Olympic basketball does - which pro players will be willing to dedicate precious off-season time to the endeavor? When will they practice, how will they be selected, who will coach?

Initially, everyone might be excited to participate because of the novelty. But as time goes on, players might be more reluctant to play because of all the other issues.

Denver Dave
03-04-2009, 06:55 PM
The World Baseball Classic is back!

Japan-China will kick off the 2009 WBC at 3 a.m. CST on ESPN2. Yu Darvish, a 22-year-old pitching sensation, will take the hill for Japan.

MIAdragon
03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
The World Baseball Classic is back!

Japan-China will kick off the 2009 WBC at 3 a.m. CST on ESPN2. Yu Darvish, a 22-year-old pitching sensation, will take the hill for Japan.

That kid is insane.

beavis
03-04-2009, 07:28 PM
This thing is lame.

I hope it dies this year.