PDA

View Full Version : Anyone raise meat rabbits?

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 12:51 PM
If so what would a trio of New Zelands cost these days?
Whats a good place in MO/E. OK/N. AR?

I like rabbits and had them for a time when i was younger and theyre good grub.
was looking online for a startup cost and cant find anything.

Saulbadguy
05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
PMing the user "bunnytrdr" would be a good place to start.

|Zach|
05-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Are those anything like hog mollies?

jspchief
05-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Your username seems to fit.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 12:56 PM
PMing the user "bunnytrdr" would be a good place to start.

how do you know if hes a trader and its not just a goofy name?...like yours for instance....

Lzen
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
how do you know if hes a trader and its not just a goofy name?...like yours for instance....

Saul is correct, he is a trader. He's talked about his shop on here a few times.

HemiEd
05-11-2005, 12:58 PM
ROFL Damn, just damn! ROFL

Saulbadguy
05-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Saul is correct, he is a trader. He's talked about his shop on here a few times.
Yeah..you dipshit hillbilly!

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 01:00 PM
You eat bunny rabbits?

Brock
05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I like mine with homemade noodles.

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 01:02 PM
how do you know if hes a trader and its not just a goofy name?...like yours for instance....Way back in the day, we sold 3 hole cages, and New Zealands all the time.

the Snake market is driving Rabbits right now, but you should probably be able to pick up a raised NZ for arround 5 bucks, I don't know what it costs to raise em in Mo, it has to be less than here in Cally.

My favorite BBQ of all time was when we went and yanked a yound bunny out of my friends Rabbitry and snapped it cleaned it, and since the que was already white hot, dropped them pieces on the hot que before the warmth had left em.

Washed it down with lots of beer, ummmmmmmmm.

Oh to be a meat eating barbarian, its fuggin great!

Taco John
05-11-2005, 01:04 PM
A trader?

All this time I thought it was short for Bunny Turd Herder.

MOhillbilly
You eat bunny rabbits?

not for a while but i have some knowledge some lumber and like a garden they pay for themselves.
fried rabbit and hausenfefer(sp) is good,though it takes a bit for the meat gravy to ferment.

cdcox
Cook! Cook! Where's my hasenfeffer?

Fire Me Boy!
05-11-2005, 01:05 PM
F***in' rabbit, I told you Trix are for kids!

Fire Me Boy!
05-11-2005, 01:06 PM
A trader?

Stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking, bunny turd herder.

Saulbadguy
05-11-2005, 01:06 PM
A trader?

To be honest, I don't know why he did not just type out the full "bunnytrader" name.

Bob Dole
05-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Why don't you just go shoot the damned things like a REAL hillbilly?

Poser.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 01:10 PM

Poser.

that nasty tick disease....you eat one first if youre so gahddahm tuff.

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 01:12 PM
A trader?

All this time I thought it was short for Bunny Turd Herder.I own and operate a feed/pet store.

Saulbadguy

Poser.
Yeah..you might even strike oil.

cdcox
Shootin 'em is easy compared to staring into those little bunny eyes before dropping the cleaver on their neck.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Way back in the day, we sold 3 hole cages, and New Zealands all the time.

the Snake market is driving Rabbits right now, but you should probably be able to pick up a raised NZ for arround 5 bucks, I don't know what it costs to raise em in Mo, it has to be less than here in Cally.

got a link to a resource page?
I can P/U rabbit feed for about 8$ per 50#.
Im gonna run two breeding hutches,two nesting cages,and two brooders.
I figure that will keep me in meat and all i want to give away.

Lzen
05-11-2005, 01:13 PM
F***in' rabbit, I told you Trix are for kids!

ROFL

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking, bunny turd herder.Who's scruffy looking? ROFL

Bob Dole
05-11-2005, 01:15 PM
that nasty tick disease....you eat one first if youre so gahddahm tuff.

If you'll wait until after the first hard freeze, it will kill off the sickly ones.

WTF kind of hillbilly are you? Bob Dole has eaten hundreds of southwest MO cottontails.

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 01:16 PM
To be honest, I don't know why he did not just type out the full "bunnytrader" name.At the first place I used that username, it only accepted 9 characters max. And it kind of stuck to my shoes. :p

Besides, owning a feed store, I have changed a lot of turdy cages.

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Poser.Yeah, you tell em Bob.

:shake: If'n you can't find no bunnies, den shoot some squirrels are some coons dammit.

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Shootin 'em is easy compared to staring into those little bunny eyes before dropping the cleaver on their neck.Who needs a cleaver? You just put their legs in a slip noose, and when they quit kickin, one clean swift chop to the back of the head with your hand will do em in. There the easiest thing to butcher period. Easy to clean too.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
If you'll wait until after the first hard freeze, it will kill off the sickly ones.

WTF kind of hillbilly are you? Bob Dole has eaten hundreds of southwest MO cottontails.

in mid-spring?

Fire Me Boy!
05-11-2005, 01:23 PM
A lot of good butcher shops will carry the meat...

Chiefnj
05-11-2005, 01:24 PM
I've got a meat source cheaper than the bunnies. Go to Denver, load up your pickup with pitbulls and you've got Korean barbecue all summer and winter.

Fire Me Boy!
05-11-2005, 01:24 PM
I think if I were to go hunting I'd scare them all of, singing like Elmer Fudd... "Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit, kill da waaaaaaabbiiiiiiit."

Saulbadguy
05-11-2005, 01:38 PM
I've got a meat source cheaper than the bunnies. Go to Denver, load up your pickup with pitbulls and you've got Korean barbecue all summer and winter.
ROFL

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 01:42 PM
A lot of good butcher shops will carry the meat...

I like critters and it gives me something to do and think about.

Bob Dole
05-11-2005, 01:49 PM
in mid-spring?

Who the **** eats rabbit in the spring unless you froze them? You're supposed to be eating venison and fresh crappie/bass in the spring.

Seriously. You're new at this hillbilly stuff, aren't you?

ChiefFripp
05-11-2005, 01:58 PM
I think there may be some truth behind Chiefs fans being rednecks afterall. I always thought it was just orangemane propaganda.

Saulbadguy
05-11-2005, 02:00 PM
I think there may be some truth behind Chiefs fans being rednecks afterall. I always thought it was just orangemane propaganda.
Uh...ya think? :spock:

Wile_E_Coyote
05-11-2005, 02:08 PM
wonder how many small animal auctions are overrun with Easter bunnies :)

Bob Dole
05-11-2005, 02:09 PM

Some of us didn't have the money to shop at those fancy supermarket places.

ChiefsOne
05-11-2005, 02:10 PM
I used to eat fried rabbits all the time. Goes great with biscuits and gravy. Since I moved to the big town 15 years ago, I have been pussified and usually eat store bought stuff.

Still eat deer, quail and pheasant some.

Phobia
05-11-2005, 02:27 PM
When I was a kid, I raised and ate rabbit all the time. Good stuff.

Dave Lane
05-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I hear possum is good eatin to least thats what Jethro told me...

Dave

vailpass
05-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah..you might even strike oil.

ROFL

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 03:23 PM

Dave

before or after he sliped you a 20 for halfnhalf?

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 03:25 PM
I used to eat fried rabbits all the time. Goes great with biscuits and gravy. Since I moved to the big town 15 years ago, I have been pussified and usually eat store bought stuff.

Still eat deer, quail and pheasant some.Citified maybe, but I would never cop to having been pussified. :shake:

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 03:26 PM
wonder how many small animal auctions are overrun with Easter bunnies :)Easter Bunnies use to be surplus meat Rabbit that turned a surplus dollar. Now its the other way arround. You can't find any customers who even believe that them wabbits are good eats.

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Easter Bunnies use to be surplus meat Rabbit that turned a surplus dollar. Now its the other way arround. You can't find any customers who even believe that them wabbits are good eats.

heaven forbid they eat fluffy.

it might make the kids feel something...

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I once took about 5 minutes and wrote a 3 paragraph response to Mohillbilly on how to properly breed rabbits, but the fuggin planet died when I hit submit and I lost my text. Damn, I'll never make that mistake again. Writing anything significant or meaningful and expect it to make it to the planet. It seems like every fuggin time I have something worth a fug to post, and take the time to write an articulate snippet of literature, this fuggin place fooks me over.

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 03:31 PM
heaven forbid they eat fluffy.

it might make the kids feel something...

The guy I buy cages from, use to have rabbit for Easter feast. Tradition in his family was to go out and choose the rabbit for the feast.

Mans gotta have perspectives in life.

Teaching your children the value of a good beast is one of them.

KC Kings
05-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Who needs a cleaver? You just put their legs in a slip noose, and when they quit kickin, one clean swift chop to the back of the head with your hand will do em in. There the easiest thing to butcher period. Easy to clean too.
Karate chop? Never used that technique.
I grab the back legs, step on the head, and pull.
Then I cut from the neck to the ass, grab the front legs and swing him around lasso style a couple times and the innerds slide right out. I shoot them a couple times a year, and have never worried about or tasted any funny tick riddled rabbits.

I wish there was something else around the Ozarks that was just as fun and available to hunt, because something about the smell of rabbits as you are skinning them makes me want to puke.

Bob Dole
05-11-2005, 03:37 PM
I once took about 5 minutes and wrote a 3 paragraph response to Mohillbilly on how to properly breed rabbits, but the fuggin planet died when I hit submit and I lost my text. Damn, I'll never make that mistake again. Writing anything significant or meaningful and expect it to make it to the planet. It seems like every fuggin time I have something worth a fug to post, and take the time to write an articulate snippet of literature, this fuggin place fooks me over.

Immediately after typing the final punctuation mark, press Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, then press the submit button. It's an easy habit to form, and saves a lot of heartache.

KC Kings
05-11-2005, 03:38 PM

Dave
As a kid my Dad ate possum, racoon, even horse once. He said that all three taste like crap. He still loves to eat squirrel which taste like chit, so if possum taste worse than squirel I think jethro is full of chit.

Rabbit biscuit and gravy? Never tried it, and never will. Why try to modify one of the few perfect foods?

MOhillbilly
05-11-2005, 03:44 PM
I wish there was something else around the Ozarks that was just as fun and available to hunt, because something about the smell of rabbits as you are skinning them makes me want to puke.

i once made the mistake of taking a big wiff of a rabbit gut bucket......

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 03:51 PM
As a kid my Dad ate possum, racoon, even horse once. He said that all three taste like crap. He still loves to eat squirrel which taste like chit, so if possum taste worse than squirel I think jethro is full of chit.

Rabbit biscuit and gravy? Never tried it, and never will. Why try to modify one of the few perfect foods?Things that eat chit, usually taste like chit.

ROYC75
05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
While we are on the bunny kick today, I have been thinking of geting the grandkids a pet. I have heard that you can house train them , like a cat with a litter box. I hear that the oder of the piss is rather strong, meaning you must clean the box often.

Anybody ever do this ? Tips ?

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Immediately after typing the final punctuation mark, press Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, then press the submit button. It's an easy habit to form, and saves a lot of heartache.Thanks for the tip. :D

Calcountry
05-11-2005, 04:06 PM
While we are on the bunny kick today, I have been thinking of geting the grandkids a pet. I have heard that you can house train them , like a cat with a litter box. I hear that the oder of the piss is rather strong, meaning you must clean the box often.

Anybody ever do this ? Tips ?It can be done:

First, set up your cat box near the toilette.

Then, every day put your copy of the local paper underneath the cat box. This raises the level of the cat box very gradually, eventually it will be as high as the toilette. After a few days of having the kitty potting up there, he or she is becoming familar with the toilette. put the box directly over the seat. If the cat is continuing to use the box, you are almost home free.

After a few days of the box being on top of the seat, try removing the box altogether. Of course, at any step, if you notice that kitty has figured it out, and decided to pee or poop in you the toilette and showed preference for it over the box, then you are done. Just take the cat box away, and always leave the lid up for the kitty. If you think women get mad for this stuff, wait until you piss off the pussy.