PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever okay to leave someone behind in battle?

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Please select one choice from each pair.

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 01:54 PM
At this point, more people think it's acceptable to leave behind a mortally wounded soldier than a dead soldier. I must express surprise.

Fat Elvis
05-11-2005, 02:51 PM
At this point, more people think it's acceptable to leave behind a mortally wounded soldier than a dead soldier. I must express surprise.

You haven't watched Platoon enough times.

KC Kings
05-11-2005, 03:03 PM
You never leave anybody behind, period. You leave one guy behind, and the next time you are in battle and it comes time for you to lay your life on the line, you are going to think twice before doing so.

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I'm wondering because I read an autobiography a while back about a German soldier on the eastern front in WWII. An overwhelming Soviet force was about to surround them, and they got orders to retreat ASAP to get out of the pincer. To do so, they had to leave behind all of their wounded, and this guy wrote about how they were all begging for help as the healthy soldiers bugged out.

It's a nasty issue, but if they had stayed they would've been almost assured of being destroyed to a man. Strategically, it made sense for the German army to order the healthy ones out. It couldn't have been good for morale, though.

Wallcrawler
05-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Everyone goes home, or noone goes home.

JOhn
05-11-2005, 06:29 PM
:clap: :clap:

DenverChief
05-11-2005, 06:49 PM

exactly

alanm
05-11-2005, 07:08 PM
I dunno Kevin, You left a lot of us stranded on airfields in England and in POW camps in Germany last summer. :cuss:

Rain Man
05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Why do I open myself up for such abuse?

Blame talisman. He was the recruiter and trainer of the aircrews, and he deserted. It's all his fault.

(Talisman, if you're reading this, don't worry about it. I'm just blaming you to deflect any criticism of myself. It's a common practice in modern society.)