PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: GazReview: “The Hitchhker’s Guide to the Galaxy”

Gaz
05-12-2005, 06:35 AM
I must issue a caveat here: I am a fan of the Hitchhiker “Trilogy.” I have read it a couple of times and listened to the audiobook version a couple more times. Yes, I am a geek, thank you very much.

Okay, I knew that no one could compress “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” into a 2-hour movie. I knew that. Really. I hoped that they would capture the silly fun of the book and translate it into a visual medium. Gimme the highlights of the book, some funny gags and kick my butt with some major eye candy and ripping sound.

THGTTG attempts to be many things: a silly romp, biting social satire, an action flick, an eye-popping FX extravaganza and a heart-warming love story. Unfortunately, it fails on every count. It is frankly amazing that a frenetic, quick-paced frenzy of a film could grind to a halt over and over again. The funny bits [what truly funny bits there are in the film] are mildly amusing, but I kept noticing that they could have been a lot funnier. There is zero screen chemistry between Arthur and Trillian, so the love story does not work. The special effects are good and the sequence where we see a planet under construction are impressive, but so are the FX in a bazillion CGI-fests. I realize it sounds like a petty complaint, but Arthur is simply not “British” enough for the farce to work properly.

On the plus side, the “So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish” tune is quite catchy and the Vogons are very nicely done.

I really wanted to like THGTTG. But it fought me tooth and nail. It limped and lurched and plodded along, wasting time on what should have been throwaway gags and extending throwaway gags to near-painful length. I was ready for the final credits long before they scrolled up on the screen.

Anyone who has read the Hitchhiker books will be disappointed at what is left out and also at what was wedged in. Anyone who has not read the Hitchhiker books will probably be very confused. Critical plot points are glossed over, while meaningless trivia is expounded upon ad nauseum. A major disappointment for a Hitchhiker fan. A confounding mismash for a non-fan. Bad news all around.

This one gets 2 Hoots. The eye candy was nice and there were a couple of cute bits. Lost in Space” did the stupid science fiction with great eye candy thing better. And“The Fifth Element” did the wacky space opera thing much, MUCH better.

Wait for the DVD and rent it on Dollar Day, but do not expect too much.

xoxo~
Gaz
Recovering his crushed and broken geek expectations for some other film.

Gaz
05-12-2005, 06:41 AM
The BBC series [in all it’s cheap and cheesy "Doctor Who" special effects glory] is available for rental on DVD at NetFlix.

xoxo~
Gaz
Going back to the original.

CHIEF4EVER
05-12-2005, 06:50 AM
What a shame. The books are a cult classic.

lawrenceRaider
05-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Awesome movie. One of my favorites. It had all the typical hollywood bs, but somehow managed to be a great movie in spite of all that.

LR

Kerberos
05-12-2005, 07:15 AM
GAZ

I respect your opinion enough to xerox this off and give it to my boss as he has been GIDDY for two weeks about getting ready to see this movie. He too has read the trilogy (in 5 parts) :) and is equally as anxious to see the movie.

I hope I didn't ruin his day as that would not be to MY benefit. :shake:

But nonetheless I have given him your insight and maybe I will save him from being as dissapointed as you seem to be with THGTTG (movie).

:)

jarjar
05-12-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm so used to people panning movies and then me still enjoying them that I still have hope. Case in point, "The Chronicles of Riddick".

Also your quote:

"but Arthur is simply not “British” enough for the farce to work properly."

I have never listened to HGTTG, all I've done is read the books, perhaps that is why I never really envisioned Arthur as British. I realize that borders on sacrilege to some people, but maybe it will help.

The truth of course is that I have to watch it either way, as does every other geek, I just hope my expectations have been lowered enough that it's not impossible to sit through.

Kylo Ren
05-12-2005, 07:20 AM
I've not read the books. I've not listened to the audio books. I DID see the movie based on the pre-release excitement that was generated on this BB in regards to this movie. The Chiefs Planeteers have not let me down when it comes to movie reviews. HOWEVER, there is a first time for everything. This movie SUCKED!!!!!!!! I HATED it!!!!!!! I told my wife that the movie had to be, at least, pretty good due to the reviews of the CP. Now she doesn't trust the judgement of the CP any more. I'll probably be banished to chick flicks for a while.

StcChief
05-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Can't do it in 2 hr. Make it a HBO 4 hr mini series maybe.

jarjar
05-12-2005, 07:26 AM
I've not read the books. I've not listened to the audio books. I DID see the movie based on the pre-release excitement that was generated on this BB in regards to this movie. The Chiefs Planeteers have not let me down when it comes to movie reviews. HOWEVER, there is a first time for everything. This movie SUCKED!!!!!!!! I HATED it!!!!!!! I told my wife that the movie had to be, at least, pretty good due to the reviews of the CP. Now she doesn't trust the judgement of the CP any more. I'll probably be banished to chick flicks for a while.

Just remind her that there is a difference between a review and getting drawn up into hype. Everyone gets suckered by hype once in awhile.

Gaz
05-12-2005, 07:28 AM
I liked “The Chronicles of Riddick.” It was not as good as “Pitch Black,” IMO [which was a clever movie], but it did exactly what it set out to do.

Would that I could say the same for “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Almost ready to turn in his towel.

HC_Chief
05-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Perhaps Sci Fi Network will do it justice one day?

munkey
05-12-2005, 08:39 AM
My 10yr old and her friend thought it was extremely boring.....