PDA

View Full Version : Would the Chiefs have any interest in this guy?

KChiefs1
05-12-2005, 12:13 PM
http://usc.scout.com/2/378373.html

Manuel Wright to NFL
By Garry Paskwietz
Date: May 11, 2005

The rumors had been spreading for weeks that Manuel Wright would leave USC to declare for the NFL supplemental draft if he did not maintain his football eligibility and that is exactly what happened today as Wright held a press conference at Long Beach Poly HS to announce that he is declaring for the draft.

Wright, who was expected to be a first-year starter in 2005 after serving as a key reserve for the past two seasons, sat out spring ball in an effort to improve his academics to the point where he could remain eligible. Unfortunately, those efforts were unsuccessful and Manuel was left with the choice of remaining in school and trying to regain his eligibility (while not playing football) or leaving school and entering the supplemental draft.
He was generally considered among the top recruits in the country coming out of Long Beach Poly where he was a member of the so-called Fab Five that included future Trojan teammates Darnell Bing, Hershel Dennis and Winston Justice. Nobody questioned his physical ability as Manuel had a rare combination of size, strength and speed in his 6-6, 300 frame which allowed him to overpower many an opponent. In his senior year with the Jackrabbits he had 142 tackles (60 solo) and 16 sacks, he was also a three year starter who captured 3 CIF title rings.

Academic troubles surfaced early on, however, as Manuel did not qualify for admission to USC and he was forced to attend Long Beach City College for a year (he did not play football) before eventually arriving for the 2003 season. It was a rocky start in his first fall camp under Ed Orgeron and there were rumblings from longtime observers who wondered if Wright, who didn’t come to camp in great shape, would last under the relentless pressure from Coach O. Manny had an up and down first season with flashes of promising play to go along with periods of inconsistency. It had to be frustrating for a demanding coach like Orgeron but the temptation of working with an incredible athlete like Wright outweighed the problems that came with his mental lapses.

All told in his freshman season Manny had eight tackles and three pass deflections but it was a short stretch in the Rose Bowl where he had a sack and a pass deflection which symbolized his potential. For Trojan fans it was a glimpse into the future and a safety net to know that the defensive tackle spot was going to be in good hands once Cody was gone. In his sophomore year Manny showed progress by coming to camp in better shape and giving an increased effort in drills. The harder work paid off early in the year with a fumble recovery for a touchdown against Colorado State (he also had a team high six tackles in that game). Manuel ended up starting two games (BYU and Arizona) when Cody moved to end and for the season Wright had 23 tackles, including six for losses, to go along with two sacks. None of those sacks were bigger than the one on second down of the final drive against Cal. He played the second half of the year with a sprained elbow and was named honorable mention All Pac-10. An ankle injury at the end of the season left his participation in doubt for the Orange Bowl but, as we all know, he had three tackles (2.5 for loss) and played inspired football that night as he won his 2nd national title ring in two years at USC.

That’s five rings in his last five football seasons for Manuel but his career as a USC Trojan is now over as he moves on and leaves a deeper hole in the middle of a Trojan defensive line already missing the presence of Cody and Patterson. Manuel was counted on to be one of the key elements to fill the void of the two All-Americans but now we must look to LaJuan Ramsey to step up and take advantage of the opportunity being presented to him. In all likelihood we will see LaJuan enter fall camp as the starter at DT with Sedrick Ellis next to him at the nose tackle spot.

Good luck to you in the NFL Manuel. There was a lot of unfulfilled promise remaining for you at USC but if the circumstances were such that you felt it was the best decision to go then we hope things work out for you at the next level.

KChiefs1
05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2058341&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Wright was a reserve for the Trojans
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Southern Cal defensive tackle Manuel Wright announced Wednesday he is leaving school and will apply to enter the NFL through a supplemental draft.

Wright, a 6-foot-6, 300-pound junior, played two seasons as a backup on a Trojan defensive line that had a first- and second-round defensive tackle. Mike Patterson went to the Eagles in the first round; Shaun Cody went to the Lions in the second round. Despite their presence, Wright saw his playing time increase each season.

"It was a tough decision," Wright said. "I woke up this morning and made the decision. Coach [Pete] Carroll called me and wished me good luck. My line coach said the same thing. I was kind of nervous about everything, but I felt like I made the right decision."

Wright hired Lamont Smith and Peter Schaffer as his agents.

The NFL holds a supplemental draft in early July for players who aren't able to go in the regular April draft but became eligible before the start of the NFL regular season. It's a draft in which a three-step, weighted lottery determines the pick. Teams with six wins or less are placed together for the initial selection order, followed by another group of non-playoff teams and lastly the playoff teams.

Wright was considered one of the better defensive tackle prospects if he stayed in school and is expected to go for a 2006 draft choice between the third and fourth rounds.

He is expected to draw the interest of any team, no matter their base alignment. He can play an end in the 3-4, and in the 4-3, he's a "three technique," the Warren Sapp role of creating havoc along the line of scrimmage.

"I think I could go early second or maybe the first," Wright said. "This is the first time in my life that I can just concentrate on football."

Wright plans to move to Denver to train for his pro workout, which should occur a week to 10 days before the supplemental draft.

A 2001 Super Prep All-American, Wright signed with USC in 2002 but didn't have the grades for admission. He went to Long Beach City College in 2002 and didn't play football. Wright had eight tackles with two for losses in 2003 for Southern Cal. Last year, his playing time increased and he finished with 23 tackles, six for losses.

Wright was carrying a 14-credit class load that he needed to complete to stay eligible for the fall at USC. Once he gets settled in the NFL, he plans to continue to take classes to please his family and get a college degree.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

jarjar
05-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Another project guy? Another guy who might not have the willpower to keep working in the pros? Another on-off type player?

*sigh*

Give me some more of those eat, sleep and breathe football type of players please. That's what we need.

Mr. Laz
05-12-2005, 12:44 PM
5th rounder?

Mecca
05-13-2005, 02:23 AM
I'd hope when a guy is that size with some talent you'd take a look at him in a supp draft.

The whole being lazy and disappearing thing maybe just be that he was 18-20 years old that happens. Kenechi Udeze was generally considered a lazy bum his first 2 years at USC.

If they get him with a reasonable pick in the supp draft I think it's worth a shot the dline still needs some work. Obviously the guy has talent if he was taking playing time from Patterson and Cody.

Nothing wrong with taking a shot on a guy from the most talented team in college football.

htismaqe
05-13-2005, 07:20 AM
Another project guy? Another guy who might not have the willpower to keep working in the pros? Another on-off type player?

*sigh*

Give me some more of those eat, sleep and breathe football type of players please. That's what we need.

We're talking about the supplemental draft here. It's worth the risk, our line sucks.

C-Mac
05-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Tamarick Vanover was a supplemental draft guy who's supplement abuses earned his way right out of the NFL, and then he became a supplemental girlfriend for Bubba.

Coogs
05-13-2005, 07:57 AM
We're talking about the supplemental draft here. It's worth the risk, our line sucks.

Since you have to forfeit next years draft pick in what ever round you select players in the supplemental draft, what would you give for this guy?

KChiefs1
05-13-2005, 08:25 AM
He definitely wouldn't be worth a day one pick, but possibly a second day pick in the 4th or 5th round would be worth the chance.

htismaqe
05-13-2005, 08:42 AM
Since you have to forfeit next years draft pick in what ever round you select players in the supplemental draft, what would you give for this guy?

Probably a 5th.

Rain Man
05-13-2005, 08:53 AM
The 5th? In Post #2, he himself offers an objective assessment that he should go in the 1st or early 2nd round. And who knows him better than himself?

TEX
05-13-2005, 09:01 AM
He sounds like a slow learner... :shake:

SCTrojan
05-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Bottom line is that Manny can be a monster when he comes to play. He had some nagging injuries that kept him off the field, and he played behind Cody and Patterson. A lot of USC fans thought he was our best d-lineman on the field during the Orange Bowl. But he never consistently performed at that level.

I'm with the rest on the board - second day pick wouldn't be unwarranted. He's got a lot of talent and potential, but he never produced enough in college to indicate whether that will translate to the NFL.

ct
05-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Given the potential he brings, yes I'd spend a pick from next year in the supplemental draft on him. Given the troubles he's had, including academic and motivational, I'd invest nothing higher than a 5th.