PDA

View Full Version : Soccer fan dead after being stabbed and thrown from upper deck

FloridaMan88
05-12-2005, 01:22 PM
From Sportsline.com:

Fan killed, 23 injured when violence erupts in Columbia
May 12, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

BOGOTA, Colombia -- A fan died when he was stabbed and tossed from the upper deck of a stadium during fighting among rival spectators that left 23 others wounded in the nation's worst soccer violence in more than a year.

The mayhem started Wednesday night when a fan rushed past a security barrier and punched the referee in the face.

Three of the wounded were in serious condition, and the rest were treated at the scene. Two police officers were among those slightly injured. National Police Chief Gen. Jorge Daniel Castro said Thursday several suspects have been arrested.

The fighting forced officials to abandon the first-division game at Bogota's El Campin stadium with four minutes left. America de Cali was leading hometown Santa Fe 5-2.

About 100 Santa Fe fans angry over the referee's calls broke down two security doors and rushed the field before being stopped by baton-wielding police, firefighters said.

Moments after referee Fernando Panesso was struck, the crowd of 100 stormed the field while others threw bottles and other objects.

Violence, usually fueled by alcohol, is common at Colombian soccer games. But the death of 20-year-old Edison Andres Garzon was the first since a 15-year-old fan was fatally stabbed during a February game last year in the western city of Armenia.

The police chief met with the officers involved and announced an investigation into how the fan who attacked the referee eluded security despite 700 police officers in and around the stadium. Castro also promised to boost security at soccer stadiums.

"We are going to reinforce the fences, reinforce the doors and control the hooligans," he said.

Goapics1
05-12-2005, 01:25 PM
These freakin' soccer nuts scare me. They should put the "fans" in cages and treat them like animals.

MOhillbilly
05-12-2005, 01:32 PM
These freakin' soccer nuts scare me. They should put the "fans" in cages and treat them like animals.

didnt someone get shot at a baseball game a year or two ago?
are you scared of baseball fans?

|Zach|
05-12-2005, 01:33 PM
I am trying to plan a trip to London with a buddy next year to see Chelsea play.

Rain Man
05-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Someone needs to shake these people and tell them, "IT'S SOCCER! NO ONE CARES!"

Goapics1
05-12-2005, 01:38 PM
I am scared of Red Sox fans (as is G. Sheffield) and Detroit Piston fans (as is Ron Artest)....................

Brock
05-12-2005, 01:40 PM
It's a good start.

BIG_DADDY
05-12-2005, 01:51 PM
I say we get a few of us together and wear our colors to the Black Hole

munkey
05-12-2005, 02:01 PM

That would be interesting....

Can we bring your Pitt Bull along?

Hydrae
05-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Violence, usually fueled by alcohol, is common at Colombian soccer games.

Maybe they should stop serving alcohol after half time? :shrug:

Eye Patch
05-12-2005, 03:02 PM

that's cool... as long as you behave yourself and not act like a jerk I'm guessing you will need only 25 to 30 stitches.

Rain Man
05-12-2005, 03:03 PM
That would be interesting....

Can we bring your Pitt Bull along?

As long as you're not coming to Denver.

bricks
05-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Watching sports and cheering for a team should be known as something we all do for pleasure. Some fans just take sports way too seriously. Too serious to the point where sh*t like this happens. It seems that the soccer fans are the most nuttiest amongst all sports fans. Who can forget about the soccer game in Italy between Milan and Inter Milan? There happened to be an incident where certain fans didn't agree with a call the referees made during the game and as a result, they we're throwing flares on the field. Or how about when that Colombian soccer player Escobar scored into his own net costing Colombia a chance to advance into the next round in the 1994 world cup? Thus eliminating them. As a result, he was shot dead in his own country Colombia. :shake:

Braincase
05-12-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm going to check through all of my "Upper Deck" cards to see if any feature a stabbed soccer fan getting chucked over the rail.

teedubya
05-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm going to check through all of my "Upper Deck" cards to see if any feature a stabbed soccer fan getting chucked over the rail.

pah dumpah ching

BIG_DADDY
05-12-2005, 03:39 PM
that's cool... as long as you behave yourself and not act like a jerk I'm guessing you will need only 25 to 30 stitches.

I'm serious, I want to go in colors this year.

Calcountry
05-12-2005, 03:50 PM
I am scared of Red Sox fans (as is G. Sheffield) and Detroit Piston fans (as is Ron Artest)....................Then go be scared b*tch.

Dave Lane
05-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Well at least its been a year since the last fan was killed. I knew there was a reason I loved soccer. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dave

Dave Lane
05-12-2005, 03:55 PM

I'm with you. 10 years of karate ought to get used some how. We can fight our way out back to back ROFL

Dave

UKMike
05-12-2005, 03:55 PM

What is the situation with going to road games? You never see any away colours on TV. Why not?

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
05-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Seems like Raiderfan was in Columbia stocking up on his cocaine to sell the other losers dressed up as Darth Vader and decided to take in a soccer match.