PDA

View Full Version : Should the Chiefs get field turf???

CoMoChief
05-12-2005, 07:33 PM
I dont know the pros and cons of it all. Ive played a flag game or two on Farout Field at Mizzou, and they have the field turf. It's a nice surface I think, kinda bouncy though. Ive heard that it's easy to get your cleat stuck and turn an ankle though. What are your guys' opinions about this, does it cost too much that Hunt and CP wouldnt wanna do it? Fill me in people!

I wrote this thread primaly because I've heard around the NFL some other teams are going to it, and I dont see why we couldnt. Most teams have it indoors, but dont the Baltimore Ravens have it also?

cdcox
05-12-2005, 07:37 PM
:shake:

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
05-12-2005, 07:37 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Football was meant to be played on grass, if the Chiefs ever get a new stadium with a retractable roof I hope they keep real grass then also.

Bowser
05-12-2005, 07:38 PM
It it ain't broke, don't fix it.

KChiefs1
05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Is there something wrong with the grass at Arrowhead?

morphius
05-12-2005, 07:40 PM
The Chiefs have been keeping a close eye on it. The first couple years there was an issue with being able to redraw lines for soccer and for the college games but I believe a solution for that came out last year.

If it seems to work out in other places, I could see the Chiefs doing it in a few years.

rocks
05-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Hell NO, just keep the freakin wanna be SOCCER players off my grass!!!

papasmurf
05-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Nobody has improved on the real thing. GRASS

morphius
05-12-2005, 07:44 PM
If they would like to test it on my lawn I would be more then happy to volunteer.

Fairplay
05-12-2005, 07:48 PM
St.Louis and the Colts will be getting new turf this year. As for Arrowhead i see them keeping the real grass around for a long time.

papasmurf
05-12-2005, 07:50 PM
St.Louis and the Colts will be getting new turf this year. As for Arrowhead i see them keeping the real grass around for a long time.

St Louis aready has installed it

4th and Long
Leave the freakin' grass alone!

Besides, if we change to field turf, it really screws up some of my favorite chants.

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW! KILL! KILL! KILL!" would be replaced by "BLOOD MAKES THE FIELD TURF GROW ... NOT WAIT ... FIELD TURF DOESN'T GROW ... IT'S ARTIFICIAL ... KILL! KILL! KILL?"

It just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Iowanian
I'm telllin you...the stupid threads every night have to stop.

Sparhawk
05-12-2005, 07:52 PM
REAL GRASS ONLY!

4th and Long
05-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Good luck with that campaign. I'm doubting that even Iowanian's Keyboard Of Death can't stop them all.

CoMoChief
05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW! KILL! KILL! KILL!" would be replaced by "BLOOD MAKES THE FIELD TURF GROW ... NOT WAIT ... FIELD TURF DOESN'T GROW ... IT'S ARTIFICIAL ... KILL! KILL! KILL?"

That quote is gayer than AIDS

morphius
05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Are you whining again?

KCFalcon59
05-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Keep the mfing soccer off of it and it will be fine. :D

4th and Long
05-12-2005, 07:56 PM
That quote is gayer than AIDS
Says the n00b who has his own thread dedicated to him and his abillity to post Nick Athan's bullshit threads like they are going out of style.

Logical
05-12-2005, 07:56 PM
My answer is no. But last year the grass at Arrowhead really looked shitty. I was really suprised they had let it get so bad.

big nasty kcnut
05-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Grass is good turf is bad
It's will make brad sad if they replace the grass with fake grass

rocks
Its because of all that Damn Soccer they play on it. That field was made for real men to crush bones and play CHIEFS football!!

Iowanian
Are you whining again?

call it what you will........but I feel something awakening.

papasmurf
05-12-2005, 08:01 PM

take the matter in hand.

morphius
05-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Well, isn't that special. But really, you're not my type.

craneref
05-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Call me OLD SCHOOL, but I think football should be played on grass, just like God made it. When you are running as in football and you are cutting or have a 250+ LB hanging on you, something has to give, if the contact between your foot and the ground doesn't give, then something above the bottom of your shoe to the top of your hip has to give. I don't know about you, but I would much rather lose my footing, and live to play another down, than to lose the entire season or career. I know that playing on turf is fast, but feels like the nerf football games we use to play int he Living Room, add a couch and a couple of lamps and it is just like playing at home. GO CHIEFS.

morphius
05-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Call me OLD SCHOOL, but I think football should be played on grass, just like God made it. When you are running as in football and you are cutting or have a 250+ LB hanging on you, something has to give, if the contact between your foot and the ground doesn't give, then something above the bottom of your shoe to the top of your hip has to give. I don't know about you, but I would much rather lose my footing, and live to play another down, than to lose the entire season or career. I know that playing on turf is fast, but feels like the nerf football games we use to play int he Living Room, add a couch and a couple of lamps and it is just like playing at home. GO CHIEFS.
I think though that Field Turf is a lot different then the old Turf.

I basically just want whatever is best for the longevity of the players which is really what is best for the game.

philfree
05-12-2005, 09:18 PM
NO!

PhilFree:arrow:

PastorMikH
05-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Field turf would really speed up the game, well, it would sure speed up the careers of our players after they play on it and kill ankles/knees/etc anyway.

I'd rather see our players a little more muddy and a little less hurt. Let's stay with the natural grass.

Mr. Kotter
05-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Guess I'm in the minority.

We have it installed on our HS Football field (for 3 public HSs, and two NAIA colleges)...a field that is used a LOT.

The Players LOVE it. It looks damn real, unless you get close up. No worry about nursing it through a rainy/dry/cold spell....

SPAY-PAINTING brown grass in NOV-DEC is better than fake grass that looks, feels, and seems "real?" And the Players LIKE it???

I don't get it.... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
05-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Field turf would really speed up the game, well, it would sure speed up the careers of our players after they play on it and kill ankles/knees/etc anyway...

You are thinkin' of Astro-Turf, or older turfs....Field Turf is NOTHING like them. Injuries don't seem to be an increased concern that I've heard about. Seriously, that's the OLD stuff you are thinkin' of.

Mr. Kotter
05-12-2005, 09:48 PM
It's rubber, on top of sand, on top of crushed stone.....in the updated version. Here's the early type at Ford Field. They've since add sand underneath the rubber, along with crushed stone to help with drainage.

Mr. Kotter
05-12-2005, 09:51 PM
This is an updated version, I believe...it's what our kids play on. They say it's BETTER than grass....

tommykat
05-12-2005, 09:54 PM
I say whatever the Planet agrees on.
Aren't the experts here? Correct, TK should shut up and go to bed now.....heehee

PastorMikH
05-12-2005, 09:56 PM
You are thinkin' of Astro-Turf, or older turfs....Field Turf is NOTHING like them. Injuries don't seem to be an increased concern that I've heard about. Seriously, that's the OLD stuff you are thinkin' of.

No, it's not. If I remember right, we had just put the stuff in the practice facility when Sly Morris made a cut and lost his leg.

BTW, here's an article from the Pittsburg paper about their players response when asked about field turf.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05048/458818.stm

Here's another article from an athletic turf website...

http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=148868

Hammock Parties
05-12-2005, 09:57 PM
How about REAL GRASS instead of mud painted green?

PastorMikH
05-12-2005, 09:57 PM
This is an updated version, I believe...it's what our kids play on. They say it's BETTER than grass....

Our kids play on REAL grass and they are the back-to-back OK State 4A football champs.;)

Eleazar
05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
They can't do it because of the soccer team, I would imagine.

Logical
05-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Field turf would really speed up the game, well, it would sure speed up the careers of our players after they play on it and kill ankles/knees/etc anyway.

I'd rather see our players a little more muddy and a little less hurt. Let's stay with the natural grass.

I am a proponent of grass, but our local High School has field turf and it is nothing like an artifical turf surface. The material is just like soil in that it is loose and does not grab cletes. Also it does not produce the turf burns that artificial turf did. The blades of field turf feel amazingly like grass and is about the same as far as density of blades. This stuff is amazing. Even more amazing is the fact it was justified because maintenance of a grass field is more expensive over 10 years than the field turf. I don't want to see the Chiefs change to it, but I would not be upset if they did. This stuff is really good. Supposedly injury rates are no higher for field turf than on a grass field, but it is pretty early to be making a comparison.

RedDread
05-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Something also to consider is after the install, the field lasts for 3-5 years and saves the team money as well.

When my HS had it installed I jumped the fence after hours to see what it was like. It's almost like real grass but it has a bit more give.

Logical
05-12-2005, 10:12 PM
It's rubber, on top of sand, on top of crushed stone.....in the updated version. Here's the early type at Ford Field. They've since add sand underneath the rubber, along with crushed stone to help with drainage.
The Field Turf here in Poway has granulated tires that the blades are imbedded in.

Mr. Kotter
05-12-2005, 10:22 PM
No, it's not. If I remember right, we had just put the stuff in the practice facility when Sly Morris made a cut and lost his leg.

BTW, here's an article from the Pittsburg paper about their players response when asked about field turf.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05048/458818.stm

Here's another article from an athletic turf website...

http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=148868

Field Turf today is better than it was 2 or 3 years ago, even.

It would be interested to see statistics on the injuries though; I'm sure they are out there on the net somewhere....but I'm not that motivated to look for them. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
05-12-2005, 10:23 PM
The Field Turf here in Poway has granulated tires that the blades are imbedded in.

When I say rubber on top, I mean durable plastic "blades" of grass, with a cushioning of granulated tires, yes. Sounds like the same stuff.

wildcat09
05-12-2005, 10:31 PM
I have played on both surfaces and even though the field turf is soft and easy to take care of, nothing beats a good grass field. field turf doesn't have that football smell.

Digital Takawira
05-13-2005, 02:55 AM
as good as fieldturf is, i want arrowhead to always have grass. the cost of maintaining real grass shouldn't be a problem for any nfl team, let alone a team who's always near the top in attendance like the chiefs.

where the hell is george toma to get the field into shape?

http://www.thekansascitystore.com/images/LargePhotos/473-toma300.jpg

mcan
05-13-2005, 04:16 AM
I love field turf. We have the stuff on our old stadium here at KState, and it's where we go to play football on those Sundays when there is NOTHING else going on. It's a fantastic surface, and I can dive for balls and come up without too much of a burn (not any more or less than grass). I've never seen anybody get injured or turn an ankle because of it around here. However, the Chiefs have an excellent grounds crew and they take top notch care of their stadium turf, so it's not like the Chiefs are in need of any improvement. Also, we would pretty much be doing away with the mud and stuff that is associated with old-school football. While this might be good for our offense right now, I don't think I'm in any hurry to wash away a chance for another muddy/sloppy day on the gridiron.

Otter
05-13-2005, 05:54 AM
What about those rainy, snowy games when the sod gets chewed up, the players are all muddy and a WR or RB come up with a chunk of sod in his face mask after getting drilled.

That's football.

Grass baby.

redbrian
05-13-2005, 08:53 AM
What about those rainy, snowy games when the sod gets chewed up, the players are all muddy and a WR or RB come up with a chunk of sod in his face mask after getting drilled.

That's football.

Grass baby.

Damn straight, If the uni's don't get dirty it ain't real ball.

Fuok no to an Arrowhead with a roof, play the game in the elements like God intended.

penguinz
05-13-2005, 09:05 AM
They can't do it because of the soccer team, I would imagine.Not true. FIFA approved fieldturf a couple of years ago. As far as people saying that the soccer players ruin the grass... You are idiots. Who is going to ruin the grass more? A 180 guy running across the grass or a 300 lb lineman digging his cleats in for a block? Not to mention that football cleats are longer an bigger.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Not true. FIFA approved fieldturf a couple of years ago. As far as people saying that the soccer players ruin the grass... You are idiots. Who is going to ruin the grass more? A 180 guy running across the grass or a 300 lb lineman digging his cleats in for a block? Not to mention that football cleats are longer an bigger.

Soccer is still for pansies.... :p

Saulbadguy
05-13-2005, 09:21 AM
I love field turf. We have the stuff on our old stadium here at KState, and it's where we go to play football on those Sundays when there is NOTHING else going on. It's a fantastic surface, and I can dive for balls and come up without too much of a burn (not any more or less than grass). I've never seen anybody get injured or turn an ankle because of it around here. However, the Chiefs have an excellent grounds crew and they take top notch care of their stadium turf, so it's not like the Chiefs are in need of any improvement. Also, we would pretty much be doing away with the mud and stuff that is associated with old-school football. While this might be good for our offense right now, I don't think I'm in any hurry to wash away a chance for another muddy/sloppy day on the gridiron.
Yep..I love the bouncy feel of it. Wagner field has it as well.

I really don't care either way. I'd like them to take better care of the grass, though.

penguinz
05-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Soccer is still for pansies.... :pYou must be seriously thinking over your own sexual orientation.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2005, 09:28 AM
You must be seriously thinking over your own sexual orientation.

Eh, let's see:

1. According to libs, I'm "homophobic"
2. Wife, 17 years of marriage
3. Four Kids
4. Left my former church, over the issue of gay ordination of ministers.

Nothin' to "think about" there I'd say.

Back to the soccer is for pansies (I didn't say, homos BTW.....Freud would have something to say about YOUR reading into my statement....heh)

:p

penguinz
05-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Sounds like the traits of someone who is fearful of their deepest sexual thoughts to me.

Back to the real argument though... Why bash soccer when the Wizards is the only winning team KC has?

beavis
05-13-2005, 09:34 AM

That's football.

Grass baby.
The field looks shitty in September, due in large part to the soccer team.

I'd be happy with field turf if they decided to put it in.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Sounds like the traits of someone who is fearful of their deepest sexual thoughts to me.

Back to the real argument though... Why bash soccer when the Wizards is the only winning team KC has?

Just flippin' you crap, lighten up Vern....

Bash soccer? How about PICK a damn season--for youth soccer, anyway? Soccer has eroded the pool of kids for several other sports because of their insistence on playing year round (indoors in the winter! :rolleyes: ) And don't say it's a "choice," good players are coerced with a "YEAR Round or else" demand by coaches. THAT has not been a positive in many communities....

As to the Wizards? How many people actually PAY to see those games? What are their TV ratings (and soccer generally) like in the U.S.?

Is that enough? :hmmm:

penguinz
05-13-2005, 09:59 AM
lol... No one forces kids to play soccer year round over other sports.

Iowanian
05-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Get the damn soccer off the field.........

If a player doesn't have mud on their clothes or grass in the facemask....its not real football.

Bob Dole
05-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Maybe they can rip out all the seats and install aluminum benches, too!

morphius
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Get the damn soccer off the field.........

If a player doesn't have mud on their clothes or grass in the facemask....its not real football.
That doesn't account for the 3-4 other NCAA games that happen there during a year, including big 12 championship, that rip the field up on Saturday.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2005, 11:03 AM
lol... No one forces kids to play soccer year round over other sports.

I didn't say "forced" but they have attempted to strong arm, to coerce many, many kids in OUR community. Ask any other sport in town....

PICK A STINKIN' Season? Is that really askin' too much?

penguinz
05-13-2005, 11:46 AM
This is still a lame excuse. Kids play soccer year round because they want to. They are not doing so because the coach strong armed them. It is also not a cheap sport to play. The coach is not going to strong arm the parents into shelling out that much money.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2005, 11:57 AM
This is still a lame excuse. Kids play soccer year round because they want to. They are not doing so because the coach strong armed them. It is also not a cheap sport to play. The coach is not going to strong arm the parents into shelling out that much money.

Not cheap? Unless you are on a "traveling team" it's shorts, shin guards, and shoes. It doesn't get any cheaper.

I'm telling you, I've been a HS coach for 10 of the past 14 years.....I've had dozens of students TELL ME, "I can't come out for track/volleyball/wrestling because my soccer coach won't play me/will cut me....cause I'll miss practices."

If you don't believe me, maybe it's not prevelant in your community. It sure as hell is in ours.

penguinz
05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I am very involved in the soccer community in Johnson County.

Shoes, shinguards and uniforms are not cheap. If you are a keeper you also add the cost of gloves and or pads. League fees are also expensive (rec leagues are cheaper). tournament fees can equal the fees for one season. It all adds up really quickly.

I played on several Clubs that the coach would sit or even cut players for playing baseball only if they missed practice because of baseball. This is understandable. You would get cut from the baseball team if you were skipping it for another sport.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2005, 12:32 PM
I am very involved in the soccer community in Johnson County.

Shoes, shinguards and uniforms are not cheap. If you are a keeper you also add the cost of gloves and or pads. League fees are also expensive (rec leagues are cheaper). tournament fees can equal the fees for one season. It all adds up really quickly.

I played on several Clubs that the coach would sit or even cut players for playing baseball only if they missed practice because of baseball. This is understandable. You would get cut from the baseball team if you were skipping it for another sport.

Our community fees are relatively cheap, and the league provides uniforms (a T-shirt). It's NOT that expensive, here anyway.

Baseball isn't year round. Wrestling has one season. Football is played in the fall. You honestly don't think conscientious soccer players who would like to explore other sports are not deterred from tryin' other sports because of pressure put on them from year-round soccer schedules and coaches?

As a wrestling coach, a football coach, and a track and field coach we honestly tried to accomodate a reasonable amount of practices that a soccer player could miss. Generally, though not always....such "cooperation" was NOT reciprocated by soccer coaches.

penguinz
05-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Our community fees are relatively cheap, and the league provides uniforms (a T-shirt). It's NOT that expensive, here anyway.

That is a rec league. If you are experiencing these issues with coaches in that type of League I do see a problem with the coaches acting this way. I do not see any problem with the coach of a Premier team acting this way.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2005, 04:06 PM
That is a rec league. If you are experiencing these issues with coaches in that type of League I do see a problem with the coaches acting this way. I do not see any problem with the coach of a Premier team acting this way.

Would you have a problem with football coaches or wrestling coaches acting this way, and luring soccer kids away from that sport....by say, gosh, going to YEAR ROUND sports..... :hmmm:

I'm back to why not PICK A SEASON? :shake:

penguinz
05-13-2005, 04:14 PM
WTF is this pick a season crap? No one is stopping those other sports from playing year round. Just because baseball players are afraid to play in the cold/rain/snow it is no reason to bitch about soccer.

Dayze
05-13-2005, 04:33 PM
only if a Lombardi preceeds it.

Mr. Kotter
05-13-2005, 06:37 PM
WTF is this pick a season crap? No one is stopping those other sports from playing year round. Just because baseball players are afraid to play in the cold/rain/snow it is no reason to bitch about soccer.

Why year round??? Is it somehow superior to the other varsity athletics offered by most school systems?

One season is good enough for other varsity sports, but soccer is so important it needs to occupy three or four seasons for the athletes who want to play it....but also may be interested in playing other sports--but don't get the opportunity to play other sports because of the time committment required of year round soccer.

Gotcha.

PS- If you ever wonder why soccer and soccer coaches have a real image problem within the athletic circles around other HS sports, thank you for your demonstation of why.

chappy
05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
we need to get soccer off this board it is a waste of time, panty-waist sport that european sissymen play.
if you like soccer move to france and date pierre. Football,Rugby and Hockey are sports for real men.

Mr. Kotter i can see your point soccer should pick a season. but on the other hand when i played football and wrestled the last thing my teammates and i wanted out there with us was a soccer player they were mostly shuned in my high school.

penguinz
05-14-2005, 05:28 AM
Why year round??? Is it somehow superior to the other varsity athletics offered by most school systems?

One season is good enough for other varsity sports, but soccer is so important it needs to occupy three or four seasons for the athletes who want to play it....but also may be interested in playing other sports--but don't get the opportunity to play other sports because of the time committment required of year round soccer.

Gotcha.

PS- If you ever wonder why soccer and soccer coaches have a real image problem within the athletic circles around other HS sports, thank you for your demonstation of why.
The only High School sports that are worth anything are Football and basketball. Why even worry about the others?

And again... The players choose to play it because they want to. Not because they are forced to. When you are in High School you are capable of making your own decisions as far as to what sports you want to play. If you want to play football and you can't because your soccer coach says no then you probably don;t have the heart to be playing either sport.

penguinz
05-14-2005, 05:30 AM
Mr. Kotter i can see your point soccer should pick a season. but on the other hand when i played football and wrestled the last thing my teammates and i wanted out there with us was a soccer player they were mostly shuned in my high school.You are calling soccer a panty-waist sport when you enjoyed playing a 'sport' that involves rolling around on a mat and in some cases having another guy's junk in your face?