PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Gunther goes to the sideline

tk13
05-13-2005, 01:04 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11632956.htm

Sideline spot for Gunther

Cunningham to move from the press box

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

The more he thought last winter about what ailed the Chiefs, Gunther Cunningham kept coming to the same conclusion. They needed more, he believed, than just an infusion of defensive talent.

Cunningham figured the Chiefs on game day could use more of him — specifically, his brand of emotion and the in-your-face style of motivation that only he could provide.

So Cunningham is planning to move during games from his traditional perch up in the press box to the sideline, where he can inject that emotion frequently. He will still make the defensive play calls but will do that from a different vantage point.

“That's the most important thing, without a doubt, to be able to look them in the eye and be able to get a better feel,” said Cunningham, the Chiefs' defensive coordinator. “It's a lot easier to know where they are (emotionally). Being upstairs, you're removed and you can't feel your guys well enough. It's like you're out on an island all the time. Being face to face with them, you can tell.

“Coach (Dick) Vermeil does a great job of being upbeat along the sideline, yet his background is all offense. Maybe the defensive guys need their own guy down there.”

Vermeil prefers that his coordinators work from the press box, where they can better see the game unfolding. But Vermeil was willing to go along with Cunningham's plan on what he called an experimental basis.

“We'll do it in the preseason,” Vermeil said. “If he feels comfortable and I feel comfortable and it works, then we'll leave him down there. I think it will work.”

To Cunningham, it's all part of changing a defensive culture that is dramatically different from when he coached with the Chiefs his last time around. Then, the Chiefs were built around vocal defensive players who could handle the responsibility of sideline leadership.

Those leaders are mostly offensive players now. Fewer defenders are willing to get in a teammate's face if there's a need.

That's the role Cunningham plans to fill, and it's an unusual one for him. He resided in the press box on game day since joining the Chiefs in 1995, except when he was the head coach in 1999 and 2000.

“I've always felt I should give players space to play the game,” he said. “I always felt they should be able to play the game without having somebody in their ear. But every environment and every defensive culture is different. What works at one place or at one time may not work the next time. There were a lot of times last year that I thought this could maybe help. I also thought it was so out of the ordinary for me to do that, I figured I needed to think about it more and evaluate it more.

“If I had been down on the field last year, I would have had a better feel for the defensive backs. I think I could have helped those individuals a little more, and maybe we could have done some things differently.”

If Cunningham had been mulling such a decision, a recent discussion with defensive end Eric Hicks swayed Cunningham. Hicks urged Cunningham to come to the sideline to provide the Chiefs with an emotional boost.

“There were times last year when things weren't going well and some guys could have used a jump from his personality down there,” Hicks said. “He's a fiery guy. He has a way of commanding attention.”

Defensive coordinators work from the sidelines in increasingly greater numbers, so Cunningham's move isn't unusual. Greg Robinson was on the sideline during his three seasons with the Chiefs.

Cunningham is making the move for different reasons.

“Greg was down there always trying to fix things that were going wrong for the defense,” Hicks said. “Gunther will be three-quarters fixing things and one-quarter getting in your (face). The position coaches can generally handle the X's and O's and the adjustments. They always have the headphones hooked up to the coordinator.”

Cunningham certainly will be more a part of the action from the sideline. Up in the booth, his direct communication with a player is rare. Occasionally, one will put on a headset and be linked via wire to Cunningham, but that's it.

Now he will be free to communicate as freely and often as he wants.

“You can lose touch with people when you're in the press box,” Vermeil said. “You can pass on information, but you can't pass on emotion. You can't pass on temperament. Sometimes being down on the sideline can be a distraction. It just depends on the individual.”

In the case of the usually loud Cunningham, it could be too much of a good thing. That may be what Vermeil wants to see during the preseason before giving the move his full blessing.

The biggest negative to the move is that the game will be more difficult for Cunningham to see. He will have to rely on the defensive assistant the Chiefs decide to send to the booth in his place.

Having the better vantage point is why offensive coordinator Al Saunders works upstairs.

“When you're on the field, you're getting information too late, in my opinion,” Saunders said. “You're depending on someone else to be your eyes. I would rather depend on somebody else to be my voice than be my eyes.

“Up in the box, you're more of an orchestrating director. On the field, you're more of a participant. If I had a rookie quarterback, I would be on the sidelines because you can communicate every single play. If I had a young staff, I would be on the sidelines because communication is so critical.”

Saunders prefers to communicate during games with quarterbacks coach Terry Shea and the other offensive assistants rather than with the players directly.

“If you're extremely content with the guys you're working with, it's natural to be upstairs,” he said. “The offensive coaches have been together here for so long that the process works so well. If you're concerned about the emotion of the players, then that may be the overriding factor to go down to the sidelines.”

Saunders also appreciates the relative quiet of the booth. Upstairs, he's away from players bugging him to run certain plays, the emotions of the moment, the noise of the crowd and the general chaos of the sideline.

“You would never study for a final at a rock concert,” said Saunders, who spends his time mapping the next offensive series while the Chiefs are on defense. “You would do it at home or somewhere else in the quiet confines. That's the same as calling plays. I would rather call them in an environment that's conducive to thought and quiet as opposed to the rock concert going on down on the field.

“That's one of the biggest differences between defense and offense. Defense is often centered around emotion and emotional play. The options in terms of calls on each down are dramatically reduced on defense. On offense, the volume of plays you have available is so much greater. Defense isn't that involved. So maybe a move like that makes more sense on defense.”

Wallcrawler
05-13-2005, 01:21 AM
Well, it will be interesting to see what happens if Saunders is promoted to head coach.

If he doesnt like to call plays with all the noise, there could be a change at offensive coordinator, and Al will concentrate on coaching all aspects, and not having to neglect some things while calling the plays ala Mike Martz in St Louis.

As for Gun, he needs to be on the sideline. The self esteem level of that defense is horrendous. Things go wrong, and guys just quit playing. I think that will definately change if some of these little pussy ass defenders start hanging their heads and going in the tank after a bad series have to go back over to the sideline with Gunther over there waiting to rip their ass.

That could be just the thing they need to keep their focus, and stop giving up before the game is even over.

It will be good for those guys to get their asses chewed for screwing up. Less likely for it to happen again, because I doubt anyone would want to blow a play the same way twice with Gun waiting over on the sideline.

Focus and concentration would definately be improved, to avoid the wrath of Cunningham.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Gunther better not go overboard. Vermeil will send his ass back to the booth if he feels like Gunther is trying to play head coach.

trndobrd
05-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Defensive coordinators work from the sidelines in increasingly greater numbers, so Cunningham's move isn't unusual. Greg Robinson was on the sideline during his three seasons with the Chiefs.

I'm sold.

DenverChief
05-13-2005, 01:49 AM
who was gunthers DC when he was HC?

Hammock Parties
05-13-2005, 01:54 AM

Mike Stock.

grandllama
05-13-2005, 01:58 AM
i said this all last year, and all I can say now is

:clap::clap::clap:

tk13
05-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Mike Stock.
He was the special teams coach. Kurt Schottenheimer was the DC.

Mecca
05-13-2005, 02:07 AM

I think it was Kurt Schottenheimer, maybe I'm wrong and he's right with the Mike Stock thing but I'm pretty sure it was Kurt.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2005, 02:19 AM

That's right, I got my retards mixed up. Kurt was the special teams coach and was unwisely promoted to DC. Stock was some moron that was promoted to ST coach.

Mecca
05-13-2005, 02:27 AM
Looking back on the majority of that coaching staff that was here while Gunther was head coach it's pretty amazing he had a 500 record after the 2 years.

That's still one of the worst coaching staffs I think I've ever seen.

grandllama
05-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Looking back on the majority of that coaching staff that was here while Gunther was head coach it's pretty amazing he had a 500 record after the 2 years.

That's still one of the worst coaching staffs I think I've ever seen.

You obviously have forgotten the 70's & 80's

Mecca
05-13-2005, 02:30 AM
You obviously have forgotten the 70's & 80's

Seeing as I was born in 1980 it's very hard for me to remember back that far. But yea I'd say you have a point looking at the history.

I just didn't see that stuff as up close as I did the Gunther staff.

grandllama
05-13-2005, 02:37 AM
Seeing as I was born in 1980 it's very hard for me to remember back that far. But yea I'd say you have a point looking at the history.

I just didn't see that stuff as up close as I did the Gunther staff.

I'll give you that Gunther's staff was easily the worst of the 90's...

the 70's and 80's were just painful...especially the Frank Ganz era...

CHIEF4EVER
05-13-2005, 04:24 AM

Yup, we're talking paper bag over the head painful.......:shake:

MichaelH
05-13-2005, 05:46 AM
I think it's a necessary part of the team. Gunther will be able to coach his style better from the sidelines. Too bad though, we won't get to see him fighting with any opposing team's fans from the press box. ROFL

Otter
05-13-2005, 05:48 AM

I move for a 2 week temporary ban on DC and TK for giving me the heebie jeebies this morning.

HemiEd
05-13-2005, 06:07 AM

I was more embarrassed with the "winged-T" of Marv Levy than anything else. :)

farmerchief
05-13-2005, 06:11 AM

Frank Ganz had some of the best special teams of that era,,,,unfortunately,,he should have remained special teams coach, and advanced no further!
farmerchief

Otter
05-13-2005, 06:12 AM
I was more embarrassed with the "winged-T" of Marv Levy than anything else. :)

I still get the shivers when I think of Gun's post-game interviews as head coach. Fired up after a loss and making no sense...oh the humanity.

HemiEd
05-13-2005, 06:15 AM
I still get the shivers when I think of Gun's post-game interviews as head coach. Fired up after a loss and making no sense...oh the humanity.

He was the laughing stock up here for the Bear Fan buddies of mine. They were taking bets when he was going to have a heart attack.

Otter
05-13-2005, 06:19 AM
He was the laughing stock up here for the Bear Fan buddies of mine. They were taking bets when he was going to have a heart attack.

Same out here with my Pitt & Eagle Buddies, they used to turn down the TV and stream in KCFOX (or whatever station it is) to listen to his post game interviews.

teedubya
05-13-2005, 06:24 AM

[begin internet pissing contest] No, I stated this all last year, and I started a thread about it... Gunther must have read MY THREAD. All you Chiefs fans have ME to thank... NOT grandllama. [/end internet pissing contest]

Warrior5
05-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Gun needs to lead the D from the battlefield.

kc rush
05-13-2005, 08:21 AM
The thing I got out of this was that Giunta sucks at communicating with the DB's, or relaying Gun's message. As a result Gun needs to be on the field to fix it.

Lzen
05-13-2005, 08:38 AM
I think a lot of us Chiefs fans on here were saying this last year. This is a great move, IMO.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2005, 09:29 AM
I always kinda enjoyed his PCs... I really liked trying to figure out either what he just said or what he just meant.

Mr. Laz
05-13-2005, 09:49 AM
[begin internet pissing contest] ll you Chiefs fans have ME to thank... NOT grandllama.[/end internet pissing contest]Gun needs to lead the D from the battlefield.
ok kellen ... :rolleyes:

be careful what you wish for

gunther is high strung enough ... i hope he's gonna have someone level headed in the booth calling plays.

nmt1
05-13-2005, 10:03 AM
[url]Cunningham figured the Chiefs on game day could use more of him...

This sounds very familiar and ominous.

foxman
05-13-2005, 12:21 PM
I was actually surprised he didnt do this from the beginning since it odvious we didnt have the defensive leaders to take charge. I think this move and the additional quality players weve added on defense should result in the best D we've had since Dick took over and maybe since Gunn left.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-13-2005, 09:07 PM
$20 says that Gunther has a heart attack by the 3rd game of the season. Who's in?

Hammock Parties
05-13-2005, 09:08 PM
$20 says that Gunther has a heart attack by the 3rd game of the season. Who's in?

I dunno about a heart attack but I have a bad feeling Gunther is going to piss off Vermeil by moving to the sideline.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-13-2005, 09:17 PM
I dunno about a heart attack but I have a bad feeling Gunther is going to piss off Vermeil by moving to the sideline.

He won't tick off DV, he'll tick off DV's ego probably.

DV shouldn't care anyway. He should be happy in fact. Because DV lets the other coaches coach anyway. DV just walks around waving his fists, or trying to remember where he is, or trying to remember what he had for breakfast. He does talk to the assistants and to the players, but not as much as the other head coaches in the NFL I see these days.

Rain Man
05-13-2005, 09:18 PM

the 70's and 80's were just painful...especially the Frank Gansz era...

Hey! Show some respect for a combat veteran!

(No one under 40 will get that joke.)

kc rush
05-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Hey! Show some respect for a combat veteran!

(No one under 40 will get that joke.)

I'm under 40 and get the crash ganz reference.