PDA

View Full Version : Jim Lynch created the west coast offense

Bob Dole
05-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Actually, he created the situation that forced Bill Walsh to design the west coast offense in Cincy.

Lynch injured Bengal QB Greg Cook, and Walsh fashioned the west coast offense to suit his replacement, Virgil Carter.

Hammock Parties
05-14-2005, 10:27 AM
NFL Playbook is a great show.

Bowser
05-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Bah! The West Cost O will never replace the Wing-T, by gum!!

Rain Man
05-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Excellent work, Jim.

Skip Towne
05-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Alcohol most likely was responsible for the creation of Jim Lynch so you might say Gussie Busch created the West Coast offense.

Deberg_1990
05-14-2005, 01:12 PM
I thought Sid Gillman created the "True" West Coast offense that we run a version of here in KC?

Rain Man
05-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Alcohol most likely was responsible for the creation of Jim Lynch so you might say Gussie Busch created the West Coast offense.

I'll bet that Busch came to the U.S. as a direct result of the social issues created by the German unification under Bismarck in 1871. You might say then that Bismarck created the West Coast offense.

htismaqe
05-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I'll bet that Busch came to the U.S. as a direct result of the social issues created by the German unification under Bismarck in 1871. You might say then that Bismarck created the West Coast offense.

ROFL

Bowser
05-14-2005, 01:48 PM
I thought Sid Gillman created the "True" West Coast offense that we run a version of here in KC?

I was under the impression we run an offshoot of "Air Coryell".

If I never see the "true" West Coast offense in KC again, it'll be too soon. Unless we bring back Kimble Anders, of course.

htismaqe
05-14-2005, 02:24 PM
I was under the impression we run an offshoot of "Air Coryell".

If I never see the "true" West Coast offense in KC again, it'll be too soon. Unless we bring back Kimble Anders, of course.

Coryell learned it from Gillman as an assistant. Al Davis and Chuck Noll were also Gillman assistants. Bill Walsh learned his offense from Gillman but took it in a different direction than Coryell, and that's where the tree starts branching.

Not only did all of these guys spend time with the Chargers, they also spent time with the San Diego State Aztecs.

John Madden, Joe Gibbs, Jim Hanifan, and Ernie Zampese were all part of Coryell's assistant coaching ranks. In turn, Brian Billick, Herm Edwards, John Fox, Mike Martz, and Norv Turner all learned from them. College HC Ralph Friedgen was also a Coryell disciple and worked for the Chargers about the same time that Al Saunders was head coach.

On the Walsh side of the tree you have Denny Green, Mariucci, Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, and John Gruden.

Jack Del Rio coached or played for coaches from BOTH trees.

Ironically, Vermeil took it full circle. He was ST coach for Coryell and while he was HC in Philly, SID GILLMAN was his QB coach.

It's also interesting to note that Sid Gillman got his start in coaching at Ohio State as an assistant under the guy the invented the I-formation and got rid of the Wing T...can't remember his name.

That's about all I can remember.

Bowser
05-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Nice history, Parker. I was aware of the Walsh coaching tree, but I didn't realize there were so many Gillman disciples.

Hell, I like the sound of us running "The Ram Style Offense" better than hearing we run a "West Coast Offesne".

whoman69
05-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Nice history, Parker. I was aware of the Walsh coaching tree, but I didn't realize there were so many Gillman disciples.

Hell, I like the sound of us running "The Ram Style Offense" better than hearing we run a "West Coast Offesne".
We run an offshoot of Air Coryell which I would assume has differences from the "Rams style offense".

htismaqe
05-14-2005, 03:33 PM
We run an offshoot of Air Coryell which I would assume has differences from the "Rams style offense".

Actually, I believe Gillman started in Los Angeles. So the ORIGINAL offense was "Rams style". But that would be the Los Angeles Rams, not the St. Louis variety.

HemiEd
05-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Bah! The West Cost O will never replace the Wing-T, by gum!!

ROFL Marv Levy fan, huh. ROFL

Skip Towne
05-14-2005, 04:32 PM
ROFL Marv Levy fan, huh. ROFL
The sportswriters called it the "Model T".

HemiEd
05-14-2005, 04:37 PM
The sportswriters called it the "Model T".

Damn, those were hard times to be a Chiefs fan. He was outright embarassing! Like making a kid wear nickers to school.. :)

Skip Towne
05-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Damn, those were hard times to be a Chiefs fan. He was outright embarassing! Like making a kid wear nickers to school.. :)
Levy said that the players he inherited fit the Wing T better than anything else available at the time. So nobody really blamed Marv for doing it.

HemiEd
05-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Levy said that the players he inherited fit the Wing T better than anything else available at the time. So nobody really blamed Marv for doing it.

I remember but I am sure glad it is over. I guess that is one reason I enjoy this offense so much. Well there are many reasons that follow Levy that contribute to that. One hell of a time gap between the two times this team has had an offense. :rolleyes:

C-Mac
05-14-2005, 06:34 PM
Actually, he created the situation that forced Bill Walsh to design the west coast offense in Cincy.

Lynch injured Bengal QB Greg Cook, and Walsh fashioned the west coast offense to suit his replacement, Virgil Carter.

You know I use to wonder if John Lynch was related to Jim Lynch because of their similarities, but then I heard later somewhere that they weren't related.