PDA

View Full Version : Looking back on your life....

Jenson71
05-15-2005, 06:06 PM
How useful do you think those chemistry classes you took in school were? Do you remember anything from them? I have a hard time caring about what the energy levels for certain elements are.

Hopefully, I can somehow dodge chemistry in college.

:banghead:

Pants
05-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Dude, learn that ish, it will help you so MUCH in college. I took chem my sophomore year in HS and got a B (it was a pretty hard class), wish I remebered that stuff 5 years later when I was taking chem last semester. GAH!

cdcox
05-15-2005, 06:10 PM
As a matter of fact, its been 26 years since I had highschool chemistry and I'm working a chemical kinetics problem right now. Sorry you asked?

Jenson71
05-15-2005, 06:11 PM
As a matter of fact, its been 26 years since I had highschool chemistry and I'm working a chemical kinetics problem right now. Sorry you asked?

Doggonit. Well, whatever you're doing, I probably won't be.

mikey23545
05-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Every chance I had to learn how to learn was a gift....

JOhn
05-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Unless your getting a science related degree, I doubt you'll be required to take chemistry.

I'm just finishing up my perquisites for the RN program, and I only had to take Biology and Micro-biology, and no Chemistry. :shrug:

Though I might take it along with my core RN classes, if I start next year, to help round out my credit requirements and for the general knowledge. And then again I might not, as it is a pretty difficult course to take just for the knowledge.

Bob Dole
05-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Never had a chemistry class.

JOhn
05-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Every chance I had to learn how to learn was a gift....
Indeed :thumb:

Nzoner
05-15-2005, 06:21 PM

Same here.

Jenson71
05-15-2005, 06:22 PM

Only the rich children were schooled in those days.

JimNasium
05-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Same here.
Yup, wish I had though. Would've made me a better brewer.

Jenson71
05-15-2005, 06:25 PM
I took AP Chemistry in HS. Since I got a 4 on the AP test, I didn't have to take any chem in college. So, for me, HS chem was more of a short term benefit. I don't use chemistry at all now. Hell, pretty much all I remember is that a mole is 6.02 x 10^23.

Good student. :harumph:

Avorogado's Number. That'll be the first thing I'll erase from my brain come June 1st.

tk13
05-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Oh it was very useful, it single-handedly dropped me from 6th to 13th in class rank and surely cost me scholarship money. Thank you chemistry, I hate you.

JimNasium
05-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh it was very useful, it single-handedly dropped me from 6th to 13th in class rank and surely cost me scholarship money. Thank you chemistry, I hate you.
ROFL

Pants
05-15-2005, 06:28 PM

Heh, 42 was the highest I ever was (540 kids in my grade). I finished pretty shitty at something like 120. I stopped giving a shit, you see.

Jenson71
05-15-2005, 06:30 PM
It's not treating me as bad as my spanish grade. God, missing so much work in that, mostly cause of my trip to Europe put me way behind.

Chemistry is just so boring to me. And half the book says "this is the way it was thought to be...." on and on for 10 pages of the history, and then we find out that that was actually wrong, and it really doesn't matter, and THIS is how it really is. 10 pages of how it really is.

Now, what's the point of those 10 pages we have to know about and memorize. ITS WRONG! I hate it....

JOhn
05-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Since we're comparing class ranks, I believe I was three.
Shit i was so low I never knew there were class ranks. :shrug:

:sulk:

Pants
05-15-2005, 06:31 PM

Damn. F*cking nerd. :)

Nzoner
05-15-2005, 06:32 PM
I don't use chemistry at all now.

Mixing alcohols doesn't count right?

Nzoner
05-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Shit i was so low I never knew there were class ranks.

I can relate to that.

Logical
05-15-2005, 06:37 PM

When you quit caring?;)

Eleazar
05-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Took it in high school, never used it again.

Logical
05-15-2005, 06:41 PM
As cool as my HS chem teacher was... he never taught me to make a bloody mary. So, I guess not.

Speaking of drinks I hate, WTF would anyone ruin alcohol with tomato juice? :Lin:

Pants
05-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Actually, me being that low is pretty much a direct result of apathy. The only B I ever got in HS was in gym. Because I didn't give a shit about it and put out zero effort.

Jesus. Why did you go to CMSU (is that right?) with that kind of mindset? If you took all the AP classes and aced them, you should've been going to Ivy League or a little below.

Oh, and I just wanted to take a moment and tell everybody that I've been ripping ass for the last 3 minutes and it smells like shit.

go bo
05-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Every chance I had to learn how to learn was a gift....exactly...

the whole point of formal education...

learning to think...

kudos to you, mikey... :toast:

Logical
05-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Actually, me being that low is pretty much a direct result of apathy. The only B I ever got in HS was in gym. Because I didn't give a shit about it and put out zero effort.

Well no wonder, you had not realized its value in chasing tail, given your late learning curve on the pleasantries of life.

Nzoner
05-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Speaking of drinks I hate, WTF would anyone ruin alcohol with tomato juice? :Lin:

I love tomato juice and I love alcohol,just not mixed together.

Logical
05-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Jesus. Why did you go to CMSU (is that right?) with that kind of mindset? If you took all the AP classes and aced them, you should've been going to Ivy League or a little below.

Oh, and I just wanted to take a moment and tell everybody that I've been ripping ass for the last 3 minutes and it smells like shit.

Typical Ukranian, they just love to share.

go bo
05-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Oh, and I just wanted to take a moment and tell everybody that I've been ripping ass for the last 3 minutes and it smells like shit.bah...

there's really little difference between the top students at most universities and the students at ivy league schools in terms of their academic abilities and innate intelligence...

one doesn't have to go to yale to be a brilliant person...

on the other hand, i've met delt... :fire:

Pants
05-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Haha... no, I did not go to CMSU. I went to UMR. The only out of state school I even remembering bothering to apply to was University of Illinois.

I don't have any regrets whatsoever about the school I chose. I had a great college experience, and my starting salary coming out of school was $54,600/yr. I think UMR treated me well on a number of levels.

I see. That's awesome.

I wish I wasn't so lazy. :sulk:

Pants
05-15-2005, 06:51 PM
bah...

there's really little difference between the top students at most universities and the students at ivy league schools in terms of their academic abilities and innate intelligence...

one doesn't have to go to yale to be a brilliant person...

on the other hand, i've met delt... :fire:

That's not what I was implying. I know plenty of very smart who go to KU and KState. It's just that people with ENDelt's mindset in highschool work that hard in order to get themselves into a "good" school (what other reason would be there? I might be missing something).

Also, a person that has "Ivy League education" on their resume has some advantage when applying to jobs (this might change once the potential employer meets them in persons/evaluates them).

Nzoner
05-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Haha... no, I did not go to CMSU.

I went to CMSU and I had a great college experience too,unlike you though mine did not include graduation and the like.

Logical
05-15-2005, 06:54 PM
That's not what I was implying. I know plenty of very smart who go to KU and KState. It's just that people with ENDelt's mindset in highschool work that hard in order to get themselves into a "good" school (what other reason would be there? I might be missing something).

Also, a person that has "Ivy League education" on their resume has some advantage when applying to jobs (this might change once the potential employer meets them in persons/evaluates them).

I think you make the mistake of assuming everyone works hard to get to that point in HS. For some it is just a breeze and it takes no effort at all. Typically some of them will experience an awakening in College, but not all.

Jenson71
05-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Haha... no, I did not go to CMSU. I went to UMR.

Guessing you got a pretty nice scholarship...

Pants
05-15-2005, 06:56 PM
I think you make the mistake of assuming everyone works hard to get to that point in HS. For some it is just a breeze and it takes no effort at all. Typically some of them will experience an awakening in College, but not all.

I knew a couple kids like that in highschool. They still had to do their homework and read the texts - neither of which I did.

But, yeah I see your point. Meybe ENDelt didn't have to "work that hard".

Pants
05-15-2005, 06:59 PM
I definitely busted my ass in HS w/ college benefits in mind. UMR is a "good" school. Many employers in engineering/science will recognize the name on a resume and know what sort of people their graduates usually are.

Plus, UMR paid me a f*ckload of money to go there... which is how they beat out U of I. UMR made their offer, I asked UofI what they had to offer, and they basically told me they wouldn't offer me any scholarships until I committed to their school. So, I told them to get f*cked and committed to UMR.

Oh, I just didn't know much about UMR, that explains it. This is all a moot conversation anyway, since you went where you wanted to, did what you wanted to and are now successful (I'm assuming, lol).

Logical
05-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Much of HS was defnitely a breeze. But, I did challenge myself. AP Chem was hard. Taking Calc I & II at UMKC my senior year was hard as well... well, Calc I was pretty easy, actually. But, Calc II was a challenge.

Calc I and II and Applied Mathematics were a breeze in HS. Made Calc II and Diff EQ a little bit of a shock in college. Dayum I had to study, something I was definitely not used to from HS.

Pants
05-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Much of HS was defnitely a breeze. But, I did challenge myself. AP Chem was hard. Taking Calc I & II at UMKC my senior year was hard as well... well, Calc I was pretty easy, actually. But, Calc II was a challenge.

Ha, I took all AP and honors classes as well, just never aced them. Our Chem 2 AP was the hardest class in school. I don't think anybody got an A there from my grade, even though, we had a few "geniOuses" there who ended up going to very good schools.

Nzoner
05-15-2005, 07:03 PM

A 9th term freshman like myself has no business on this thread,carry on.

Logical
05-15-2005, 07:06 PM
A 9th term freshman like myself has no business on this thread,carry on.

Look at it this way at least you were never considered a Math Geek.

Logical
05-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Thankfully I never had to take DiffEq. I took Calc III my first semester at UMR (in other conversations on this board, I've seen people refer to it as Vector Calculus or something like that). I think I got a B in that. That was the end of my "hard" math classes. I think I took matrix algebra and some statistics course after that.

Let me just say I hated, detested, and abhorred statistics. For some odd reason I could never wrap myself around the fundamentals.

Jenson71
05-15-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm good at history and english. And that's about all I can contribute to this "pimp yourself" festival.

4th and Long
05-15-2005, 07:15 PM
I'm good at history and english. And that's about all I can contribute to this "pimp yourself" festival.
Ha! That's nothing Jenson. I can tie my shoes and wave bye-bye.

Logical
05-15-2005, 07:16 PM

We have found in your self professed flaws a chance for reliving glory, and it was good. :p

Nzoner
05-15-2005, 07:17 PM

My college degree was in socializing and man was it a bitch,meeting new people every night partying till the wee hours of the morning but I made it through and got an A+ and I went on to use the degree to become a successful salesman.

Otter
05-15-2005, 07:38 PM
I liked chemistry class. Only had the intro course to it but it was certainly interesting.

We used to take the pyrex beakers from class and make bongs out of them. If nothing else, take the class for that alone.

:bong:

Skip Towne
05-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Ah, let the geeks have their fun. Just remember all the fun we had stuffing them in lockers back in the day.

Logical
05-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Ah, let the geeks have their fun. Just remember all the fun we had stuffing them in lockers back in the day.

I could be wrong, but I see Jenson as more locker stuffing than a stuffer of lockers.:shrug:

Otter
05-15-2005, 07:49 PM

After being stuffed in the lockers I was one of the guys who used to stand behind you and get your locker combination, steal your history text and write a note along the lines of "Why I like Boys Instead of Girls" then leave it in the cover then plant the text in the cafateria.

Long live nerds!!! I mean long live smart kids!!!

Inspector
05-15-2005, 08:00 PM
My brother-in-law taught me a little bit about chemicals.

Like, never take half of a 4-way hit of window pane acid. You can end up with too much chemical.

Skip Towne
05-15-2005, 08:03 PM
After being stuffed in the lockers I was one of the guys who used to stand behind you and get your locker combination, steal your history text and write a note along the lines of "Why I like Boys Instead of Girls" then leave it in the cover then plant the text in the cafateria.

Long live nerds!!! I mean long live smart kids!!!
That was YOU??? Bastage!!!

Nzoner
05-15-2005, 08:06 PM
I had a minor in that. I just made sure to go to class, too.

It got so bad for me I actually flunked weightlifting because it was a 10a.m. class and I could never get out of bed for it,eh what the hell,as far as I'm concerned it turned out okay and there's very few things I'd change about my life right now.

PastorMikH
05-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Chemistry was alright. I still use some of the metric to real measurements conversions and such. I probably wouldn't have struggled as much at Chemistry in College if I had actually had some algebra before taking it. My college advisor was a really big help.:rolleyes:

I still remember that Chemistry Prof's speech on the opening day of class. "I want to let you all know that I get paid based on how many people are enrolled in the class at the start of the semester. So I really don't care if you are here or not - I'm still getting paid. Though it would be in YOUR best interest to be here, it's all up to you."

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Chemistry was alright. I still use some of the metric to real measurements conversions and such.

Really, lets put that to the test. How many CC's in a ML? :hmmm:

PastorMikH
05-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Really, lets put that to the test. How many CC's in a ML? :hmmm:

1?

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2005, 10:05 PM
1?

I don't know that's why I'm asking Mr. Metric.

PastorMikH
05-15-2005, 10:08 PM
I don't know that's why I'm asking Mr. Metric.

1 centimeter = 1 mili-liter

I'm not exactly Mr. Metric. I remember some of the conversions for measurements I use - inches/cms, yards/meters, farenhiet(can't spell it tonight)/celsius, and so on.

Skip Towne
05-15-2005, 10:11 PM
More realistically, who cares how many CC's are in a ML? When are you ever going to need a ML of anything?

PastorMikH
05-15-2005, 10:15 PM
More realistically, who cares how many CC's are in a ML? When are you ever going to need a ML of anything?

Actually, the wife uses this stuff all the time. When you are in a hospital and you are about to get a dose of medication - especially something like chemo or something similar, it get's real important.

The wife had a nurse that mis-calculated a TB injection that the wife was about to get. The nurse was waaaaayyyy off. Luckily the wife knows about that stuff and caught the mistake before the nurse gave her the shot.

KCChiefsMan
05-15-2005, 10:15 PM
I'll get my BSE in Dec, however I have my last final to my last course ever this week. All I have to do now is an internship that is 16 credit hours of pure 4.0 A!!!

I had no chemistry course. I did have to take a lot of different science courses for absolutely no reason

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2005, 10:19 PM

I do that's why I asked.

Rausch
05-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Pretty much. I tell drinking stories on here all the time. No one ever wants to hear about me getting an A in CS 284 even thought I often attended class stoned.

I was somewhat.....angry...doing my final for English Lit. Probably no way I get an A in there now. I can't help it, Dickens came off to me as a sobby puzzy who wrote not to expose injustice in the class system but to defend and rationalize the guilt he had for being such a ****head.

That's pretty much the last three lines of my final. **** it, I'll take the B and go on...

Iowanian
05-15-2005, 10:58 PM
It'll be pretty helpful when you have disappointed your parents by firing up your first Meth Lab to pay your way through college.

There are Alot of Jobs where you don't have to be a Chemist, to use Chemistry.

I spent alot of time in HS and college saying/thinking "i'll never use XYZ".

I've said it before, but I wish I'd have payed better attention in some of those courses.

Hell, if nothing else, you'll learn that if you mix Bleach and certain chemicals it will smoke like hell, and if you put certain chemical A in a pop bottle with Chemical B, and throw it, it will explode.