PDA

View Full Version : One Room Down, Two To Go

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:14 PM
We had an attic which was designed as one long room. The two girls sharing have been carping for their own rooms for quite some time.

It has been slow going (almost 4 months), but the first room is complete.
I and my wife have done 100% of the work. Removing plaster walls, moving entire support beams for the roof, rewiring to more modern safe wire (the house was built in 1937), carpeting, etc.

While the first room has taken forever, the other two should go much more quickly.

A side note, my daughter picked a 1985 F-150 for her first vehicle. This is the perfect vehicle for loading old plaster and wood to the dump.

Pics to follow

chop
05-15-2005, 08:16 PM
A girl bought an F150 as her first vehicle....that's interesting. good luck on the rest of the rooms.

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Room stripped and mudding started.

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:18 PM
We added an additional two feet on the east and west side. It is no room for 6' plus people, but the kids love it and it gave us an additional 80 square feet.

You can see the expansion comparison in this shot.

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Only window and baseboard trim are all that remain for this room.

chop
05-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Sounds like if you would have spent more time doing the work and less time taking pictures you would be done already. ;P

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:22 PM
A girl bought an F150 as her first vehicle....that's interesting. good luck on the rest of the rooms.
Yeah, she is not the average kid.

Iowanian
05-15-2005, 08:23 PM
wolf...It looks to me like you seriously need to add some screws. Run them along each stud no more than a foot apart.

Hard work I know. Hopefully you'll be able to get it done before the summer heat.

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Sounds like if you would have spent more time doing the work and less time taking pictures you would be done already. ;P
Probably not. I read, re-read, and read again the DIY books and am maddeningly slow with every step in the room.

Luckily my wife is just as slow with the process and doesn't push me to screw up.

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:26 PM
wolf...It looks to me like you seriously need to add some screws. Run them along each stud no more than a foot apart.

Hard work I know. Hopefully you'll be able to get it done before the summer heat.

Pete - Yeah, that wall is fully supported now. I actually put screws into each beam (no more than 18 inches apart) .

The actually pain in the arse is hanging the drywall on the ceiling. for two people, the job is a b*tch if you are using the full 8 foot sheet. I hated chopping the sheets in half so we devised a quick clamp board to act as support on one wall while I hold in the middle and she sets the initial 8 screws to secure.

Skip Towne
05-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Wow, Russ, you actually have talent. Whoda thunk it?

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Wow, Russ, you actually have talent. Whoda thunk it?
Well, I would like to think it is talent, but honestly, I don't.

It is all in the tools. There is literally a tool for every single job in carpentry and cars. If you have the right tools, then you look like you have accomplished a great deal when all you have really done is used the damned things properly.

Iowanian
05-15-2005, 08:31 PM
I was trying to hang 12' sheets on the ceiling of my first room alone....while standing on some 5 gallon mud buckets.

Make a "T" out of that stands at ceiling height (8') with 1 long, and the Cross T about 4' long....2 of those bad boys and you can hang ceilings alone, or with the help of a kid/wife.

I learned alot of stuff the hard way on the first room I did........and you're right, splitting them, and making more seems sucks.

I didn't notice any bars or alarm systems to keep boys from climbing through those windows at night....now that she's got privacy.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Good luck with that, looks like a lot of work.

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:32 PM
I was trying to hang 12' sheets on the ceiling of my first room alone....while standing on some 5 gallon mud buckets.

Make a "T" out of that stands at ceiling height (8') with 1 long, and the Cross T about 4' long....2 of those bad boys and you can hang ceilings alone, or with the help of a kid/wife.

I learned alot of stuff the hard way on the first room I did........and you're right, splitting them, and making more seems sucks.
I was all set to rent some sort of drywall rig or scaffolding to help, but the staircase isn't wide enough to bring anything up.

Necessity is truly the mother of invention.

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Good luck with that, looks like a lot of work.
I hated it at first, but it has become very centering. I don't rush up with anticipation each day, but I do enjoy working to a visual end.

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get with it.

chop
05-15-2005, 08:34 PM
I didn't notice any bars or alarm systems to keep boys from climbing through those windows at night....now that she's got privacy.

casing the place already :shake:

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:35 PM
casing the place already :shake:
20 foot drop right in front of my window to a locked gate out back in which only I have the key. Plus a dog that barks at everyone on the planet but me.

No one is coming in and no child is getting out without me knowing.

Iowanian
05-15-2005, 08:35 PM
Not me....but half of the 15-18 year olds in the metro area I'm sure.

Those windows need an electric fence outside them at least.

jspchief
05-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Hope you allowed room for ventilation between the drywall ceiling and the roof deck....

chop
05-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Hope you allowed room for ventilation between the drywall ceiling and the roof deck....

How much room is required?

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:39 PM
20 inch gap between both with two full flow vents on the south side. I will finish the other side by placing two full flow fans in the north side to draw the heat and moisture out on a consistent basis.

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2005, 08:39 PM
20 foot drop right in front of my window to a locked gate out back in which only I have the key. Plus a dog that barks at everyone on the planet but me.

No one is coming in and no child is getting out without me knowing.

Sounds like the only thing missing is a moat, drawbridge and armed guards.

KCWolfman
05-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Sounds like the only thing missing is a moat, drawbridge and armed guards.
Good idea.

I got to get to the library to get plans.

Inspector
05-15-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm in the middle of finishing my basement. This looks too familiar.

We'll be finishing the finish coat of mud this week and then start tileing the new shower, painting and putting in a glass block wall and woodwork. It's been a hell of a job so far, but is coming out real nice.

Good luck. Looks like you've just about got it whipped!

BIG_DADDY
05-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Good idea.

I got to get to the library to get plans.

ROFL

HemiEd
05-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Very impressive. Nice job. :thumb: