PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Update

Jenny Gump
05-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Elvis is still alive. I still wish him dead, but I haven't committed the deed as of yet.

BTW, has anyone noticed, that even though you know that hamster is spelled H-A-M-S-T-E-R, when you say it, it almost always sounds like H-A-M-P-S-T-E-R? Even when you don't put the "P" in, your mouth can't help but make a "P" sound. That's really strange, isn't it everybody?

Rain Man
05-16-2005, 03:40 PM
I would like to visit New Hampster some day.

Skip Towne
05-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I would like to visit New Hampster some day.
Lowland gorillas are banned in New Hampster.

Rain Man
05-16-2005, 03:45 PM
Lowland gorillas are banned in New Hampster.

Dang. If that's the way they want to play, I'll just take my tourist dollars to New Guinea Pig.

Logical
05-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Elvis is still alive. I still wish him dead, but I haven't committed the deed as of yet.

BTW, has anyone noticed, that even though you know that hamster is spelled H-A-M-S-T-E-R, when you say it, it almost always sounds like H-A-M-P-S-T-E-R? Even when you don't put the "P" in, your mouth can't help but make a "P" sound. That's really strange, isn't it everybody?

I am truly sorry to hear of your speech defect. Let's work on it together.

Ham - ster

again

Ham - ster

Say it really slowly this time

Hammm ----- ster

Don't get upset we will get there.

cheeeefs
05-16-2005, 04:05 PM
me and my girlfriend have discovered that you can't blow out when you are transition from the M sound to the S sound. blowing out after putting your lips together to make the M sound creates a P sound. It's inevitable.

This has been a public service announcement.

Rain Man
05-16-2005, 04:06 PM
What word were you and your girlfriend trying to pronounce when you discovered this?

Logical
05-16-2005, 04:08 PM
me and my girlfriend have discovered that you can't blow out when you are transition from the M sound to the S sound. blowing out after putting your lips together to make the M sound creates a P sound. It's inevitable.

Another public service announcement. If you take the time to ennuciate the syllables you will not have this problem. :)

gblowfish
05-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Help! There's a hamster in my hamper!!

Rain Man
05-16-2005, 04:13 PM
I've always wondered this: do they really taste like ham?

Logical
05-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Silly Rain Man, they taste like chicken.

Calcountry
05-16-2005, 04:34 PM
I've always wondered this: do they really taste like ham?Its a well known fact that they use Hamster piss for Hamms beer.

Prince22
05-16-2005, 04:46 PM

Have you ever had the sweet n' sour chicken at King China Town Buffet. That's almost what it taste like.

4th and Long
05-16-2005, 05:05 PM
http://user.tninet.se/~djv504e/alf/alf1.gif
"Hamsters, Gerbils ... same genes, different species. They taste exactly alike."

RealSNR
05-16-2005, 05:15 PM

BTW, has anyone noticed, that even though you know that hamster is spelled H-A-M-S-T-E-R, when you say it, it almost always sounds like H-A-M-P-S-T-E-R? Even when you don't put the "P" in, your mouth can't help but make a "P" sound. That's really strange, isn't it everybody?If you think about it, yeah, there's a reason for that. Your mouth shape when making an "m" sound is lips closed. In the ham part of hamster, your mouth is already open on the "a" vowel before it finishes the syllable off with the m. So the lips closed come at the end of the syllable.

The beginning of the next syllable "ster" is the s. That requires lips open. in order to get the sizzly effect of the "s" sound.

If you think about

Because your lips must open, when "hamster" is said lazily, they open up to make a "p" sound, since the beginning of the "p" sound involves the lips closed and then opening. If too much effort is put into opening the mouth to get to the "ster" part of "hamster," then a small "p" sound does occasionally come out.

chiefs4me
05-16-2005, 05:55 PM
and when you say THE IRS...when talking about taxes, if you put those two words together, it spells theirs.:deevee:

Jenny Gump
05-16-2005, 07:19 PM

THANK YOU !!!!!
(SEE!!!!!!!)

Jenny Gump
05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
If you think about it, yeah, there's a reason for that. Your mouth shape when making an "m" sound is lips closed. In the ham part of hamster, your mouth is already open on the "a" vowel before it finishes the syllable off with the m. So the lips closed come at the end of the syllable.

The beginning of the next syllable "ster" is the s. That requires lips open. in order to get the sizzly effect of the "s" sound.

If you think about

Because your lips must open, when "hamster" is said lazily, they open up to make a "p" sound, since the beginning of the "p" sound involves the lips closed and then opening. If too much effort is put into opening the mouth to get to the "ster" part of "hamster," then a small "p" sound does occasionally come out.

OMG, you complete me.

FloridaChief
05-16-2005, 07:36 PM
OMG, you complete me.

ENOUGH!

For Scanlon's sake, if it makes any consonent sound at all--it's a soft "B"...

HamBster....HamBster....

Jenny Gump
05-16-2005, 07:37 PM
ENOUGH!

For Scanlon's sake, if it makes any consonent sound at all--it's a soft "B"...

HamBster....HamBster....

Ok. I'll give you that much.

FloridaChief
05-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Ok. I'll give you that much.

Are you patronizing me???

Jenny Gump
05-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Are you patronizing me???

Maybe. I'm drunk. I could be patronizing you. It's possible. I would really have to defer to a third party to know for sure.

FloridaChief
05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Maybe. I'm drunk. I could be patronizing you. It's possible. I would really have to defer to a third party to know for sure.

I deferred to a third party once. No, it was twice. But I was in college at the time and it was a freshman mixer and I was way drunk and shouldn't have been held responsible for my own behavior and I'm pretty sure someone GHB'd my drink and...

Jenny Gump
05-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I deferred to a third party once. No, it was twice. But I was in college at the time and it was a freshman mixer and I was way drunk and shouldn't have been held responsible for my own behavior and I'm pretty sure someone GHB'd my drink and...

Rep for being funny....for once.

FloridaChief
05-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Rep for being funny....for once.

No, it was twice. But again, GHB was involved, I swear...

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't like this thread.

RealSNR
05-16-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't like this thread.This thread doesn't like you.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 08:18 PM
This thread doesn't like you.

"I don't like you, either! You just watch yourself! We're wanted men! I have the death sentence on twelve systems!"

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/hoth/press/research/cantina2/evazan.jpg

RealSNR
05-16-2005, 08:28 PM
"I don't like you, either! You just watch yourself! We're wanted men! I have the death sentence on twelve systems!"

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/hoth/press/research/cantina2/evazan.jpg"I'll be careful"
"You'll be dead"