PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City BBQ

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2005, 08:51 PM
On the food network right now

Skip Towne
05-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Damn. I got there just in time to watch the sign off.

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2005, 09:05 PM
They mainly focased in on Bryants, you didn't miss much. Frankly I was kind of disappointed.

Skip Towne
05-16-2005, 09:32 PM
IMO, Bryant's is by far the best Que in KC. I'd have loved to have seen it.

unlurking
05-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Still a die-hard Jack Stacks fan. Love their rubs too.

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Still a die-hard Jack Stacks fan. Love their rubs too.

They showed one flash of a Jack Stack bag but that was it. They sould have at least cover a couple more places or have stayed strictly with the cookoffs. Then again how else do you produce a show for free.

Boozer
05-16-2005, 09:38 PM
IMO, Bryant's is by far the best Que in KC. I'd have loved to have seen it.

Bryant's is the Alpha and Omega of KC 'que. Although there may be other high points, every discussion must start and end with Arthur.

VonneMarie
05-16-2005, 09:39 PM
GATES!

Nobody comes close to being as good as Gates.

Boozer
05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
I saw a show recently on Food Network (something with Bobby Flay) where they featured Jack Stack's beans. Normally, seeing some food made is enough to make me not want to eat it ever again. Not so with those beans. To cook their beans, they put them in the bottom of their smokers, so they catch all the meat drippings, then mix in a good helping of burnt ends before serving.

I almost got a hard on from watching that segment.

BIG_DADDY
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
I saw a show recently on Food Network (something with Bobby Flay) where they featured Jack Stack's beans. Normally, seeing some food made is enough to make me not want to eat it ever again. Not so with those beans. To cook their beans, they put them in the bottom of their smokers, so they catch all the meat drippings, then mix in a good helping of burnt ends before serving.

I saw that one too. A lifetime worth of saturated fat and cholesterol in one meal. Gotta love it.

Eleazar
05-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Jack Stack is the best in town IMO

unlurking
05-16-2005, 09:47 PM

ROFL

Yeah, burnt ends or crumbled top brisket (the dried out stuff) really make beans da bomb while you eat 'em instead of just after.

CosmicPal
05-16-2005, 09:49 PM

That sounded delicious until I got to the erection segment...uggh.

You want some killer beans at home? Try this simple recipe: Get one of those 40 oz cans of beans, place them in a casserole dish. Fry 6 strips of bacon smothered in brown sugar for a few minutes until the brown sugar starts to bubble. Break the bacon into bits and sprinkle on top of the beans and then bake in the oven at 350 for about 45 mins. Yummy, yum, yum....

unlurking
05-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Agreed!

I buy a case of rubs every spring since I don't live in KC. Every trip back to KC I try to hit Jack Stacks at least once or twice, and try and throw in a trip to Bryant's as well, but Jack Stacks BBQ is the best in my book. Usually bring back a couple hot and fire sauces as well.

Eleazar
05-16-2005, 09:53 PM

Yeah, Gates may have them on ribs or something, I don't know, but give me the average menu item at Jack Stack, as well as the baked beans, over anywhere else.

Skip Towne
05-16-2005, 10:05 PM
GATES!

Gates is a fast food chain complete with frozen crinkly fries. A complete imposter.

Herzig
05-16-2005, 10:09 PM
ROFL

Yeah, burnt ends or crumbled top brisket (the dried out stuff) really make beans da bomb while you eat 'em instead of just after.

Burnt Ends rule!

Herzig
05-16-2005, 10:15 PM

Where is it?

SBK
05-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Best BBQ in KC is a Poor Russ sandwich and a side of beans at Jack Stacks. Bryants is good though.

Here's a freebie, and I did this last weekend and they are a dead ringer. Here's the recipie to Jack Stack Beans. No joke.

1 32 oz can pork and beans
1 cup Jack Stack Original BBQ Sauce
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Water
4 TBSP Brown Sugar (Heaping)
1 TSP liquid smoke
1 Cup Chopped Beef Brisket (or Burnt Ends)

Proper way is to combine and put in a pan under meat in smoker once meat has reached a safe temp, and let cook until thick, or meat is done. Using hickory of course. I put this under a pork shoulder and brisket and JEEZ, perfection.

Jack Stack says to combine in a 4 qt sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes until beans have a thick soupy consistency. (this way doesn't add the meat flavor so it won't be as good)

You can all thank me later, trust me, these are fantastic.

wildcat09
05-16-2005, 10:28 PM
the guy who owns jack stack is a pathologist at the hospital i work at and he is my boss. everytime we have a party it is catered by jack stack. they always bring too much and i love taking that stuff home. that last time i had jack stack everyday for a week and a half. it was great.

Fairplay
05-16-2005, 10:32 PM
That sounded delicious until I got to the erection ...uggh.

Yummy, yum, yum....

:eek:

SBK
05-16-2005, 11:50 PM
the guy who owns jack stack is a pathologist at the hospital i work at and he is my boss. everytime we have a party it is catered by jack stack. they always bring too much and i love taking that stuff home. that last time i had jack stack everyday for a week and a half. it was great.

That's one of the few places I could eat everyday for a week and a half and be happy about it. I need to road trip and get down there again.

wildcat09
05-16-2005, 11:54 PM
That's one of the few places I could eat everyday for a week and a half and be happy about it. I need to road trip and get down there again.

i felt like a lard ass afterwards but it was worth taking a few years off my life expectancy for that.

SBK
05-17-2005, 12:01 AM
i felt like a lard ass afterwards but it was worth taking a few years off my life expectancy for that.

I almost took the 3 hour drive last Saturday to have me a burnt ends sandwich and some beans. Sad thing is I want to stuff my face until it explodes, but that 3 hour drive home after dinner sucks if you pull that one off.... ROFL

wildcat09
05-17-2005, 12:16 AM
I almost took the 3 hour drive last Saturday to have me a burnt ends sandwich and some beans. Sad thing is I want to stuff my face until it explodes, but that 3 hour drive home after dinner sucks if you pull that one off.... ROFL

i understand your predicament. i just do it and run a little extra the next week. i am so hungry now. i will have to make a visit tomorrow. unlike you though i can go across the hall and have the big man hook it up.

SBK
05-17-2005, 12:45 AM
i understand your predicament. i just do it and run a little extra the next week. i am so hungry now. i will have to make a visit tomorrow. unlike you though i can go across the hall and have the big man hook it up.

STFU

wildcat09
05-17-2005, 12:48 AM
STFU

sorry sometimes i like to rub that in peoples faces sometimes. whenever someone tells an impressive story i like to throw that out there because there is not much that can top that.

Eleazar
05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
Where is it?

there are several... jackstackbbq.com

Bob Dole
05-17-2005, 06:04 AM
It ain't KC BBQ but it's a hell of a lot closer. Bob Dole already has his dinner ticket for the 16th Annual World Championship Steak Cook-Off this Saturday.

AustinChief
05-17-2005, 08:29 AM
As many of you know... I live in Austin (my handle was really confusing when I lived in Spain).. and that means zero chance of decent BBQ. So in my continual effort to "make do".. I am looking for either a recipe for a great BBQ sauce or a way to "convert" a nationally available sauce into a decent one. I am a huge Jack Stack guy .. so something that ends up like their original sauce would be perfect. Although I will try damn near anything.

Any ideas, recipes, etc?

--Kyle

gblowfish
05-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Everything you need to know is right here, extensively researched:
http://www.georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html

AustinChief
05-17-2005, 08:54 AM
On a related note.. what is the general opinion as to which NATIONAL BBQ sauce is the best...(or at least the best foundation to build a decent sauce from)

... off the top of my head I can only think of a few that you can get pretty much everywhere in the U.S.

Kraft KC Style
KC Masterpiece
Bull's Eye
Hunt's BBQ sauce
Sweet Baby Ray's
Emeril's
Stubbs

...any opinions? I am really to lazy to make my sauce from scratch... I would rather convert one of these (if possible) to a Jack Stackish substitute

Saulbadguy
05-17-2005, 08:55 AM
IMO, Bryant's is by far the best Que in the world.
Fixed your post for you.

Fire Me Boy!
05-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Kraft, KCMasterpiece, Bullseye & Hunts are awful!

Never had any of the others... BUT, I've had quite a few of Emeril's other items, and they're usually pretty good. His salsa kicks ass!

Saulbadguy
05-17-2005, 09:01 AM
If you are ever in Topeka, go to Boss Hawgs BBQ. Its near 29th and Oakley, and I think its as good as Gates. (Not Bryants)

I'd never go back to these places: Rib Crib (good if you like to gnaw on your ribs for a few hours), Haywards (gone waaaayyyy down hill), Famous Daves (Good if you like Ketchup-flavored BBQ Sauce).

I don't like the new Bryants near Nebraska Furniture Mart/Cabelas as well either. The fries don't taste the same to me, and they charge for anything extra.

AustinChief
05-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Kraft, KCMasterpiece, Bullseye & Hunts are awful!

Never had any of the others... BUT, I've had quite a few of Emeril's other items, and they're usually pretty good. His salsa kicks ass!

I am not a big fan of Stubbs, I've never tried Emeril's or Sweet Baby Ray's... of the others I agree with you for the most part.. but actually don't mind Kraft of all things. What I am looking for is a baseline that I can use to make a better sauce than I can find here.

--Kyle

Monty
05-17-2005, 09:07 AM
On a related note.. what is the general opinion as to which NATIONAL BBQ sauce is the best...(or at least the best foundation to build a decent sauce from)

... off the top of my head I can only think of a few that you can get pretty much everywhere in the U.S.

Kraft KC Style
KC Masterpiece
Bull's Eye
Hunt's BBQ sauce
Sweet Baby Ray's
Emeril's
Stubbs

...any opinions? I am really to lazy to make my sauce from scratch... I would rather convert one of these (if possible) to a Jack Stackish substitute

I've tried this too over the years, and after many different "experiments", I would highly recommend just ordering this stuff off of the website to get the real thing......that's what I'll be doing this year. Also, their new Steak Rub is pretty decent if applied moderately.

Monty
05-17-2005, 09:08 AM
I am not a big fan of Stubbs, I've never tried Emeril's or Sweet Baby Ray's... of the others I agree with you for the most part.. but actually don't mind Kraft of all things. What I am looking for is a baseline that I can use to make a better sauce than I can find here.

--Kyle

Sweet Baby Ray's Original is actual pretty decent and quite comparable to real KC BBQ.

Boozer
05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
If you are ever in Topeka, go to Boss Hawgs BBQ. Its near 29th and Oakley, and I think its as good as Gates. (Not Bryants)

I'd never go back to these places: Rib Crib (good if you like to gnaw on your ribs for a few hours), Haywards (gone waaaayyyy down hill), Famous Daves (Good if you like Ketchup-flavored BBQ Sauce).

I don't like the new Bryants near Nebraska Furniture Mart/Cabelas as well either. The fries don't taste the same to me, and they charge for anything extra.

Agree with you on Boss Hawgs...good stuff. I've been eating at Hayward's pretty consistently for the past 20 years or so, and while there definitely was a drop in quality, it seems like they've rebounded quite a bit in the past several months. I think old management is back or something.

Saulbadguy
05-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Agree with you on Boss Hawgs...good stuff. I've been eating at Hayward's pretty consistently for the past 20 years or so, and while there definitely was a drop in quality, it seems like they've rebounded quite a bit in the past several months. I think old management is back or something.
Hmm. I went there for lunch a couple months ago, and it was terrible. I might have to give dinner a try sometime.

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 09:21 AM
On a side note I have always found the Scovie award winners to be a great place to find all kind of sauces including BBQ. I had not seen the new list though, this is it. http://www.fiery-foods.com/scovies/list2005.asp

Boozer
05-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Hmm. I went there for lunch a couple months ago, and it was terrible. I might have to give dinner a try sometime.

Stick with the sausage and beef burnt ends.

AustinChief
05-17-2005, 09:43 AM
Sweet Baby Ray's Original is actual pretty decent and quite comparable to real KC BBQ.

Cool.. thanks for the head's up.

I also have Jack Stack shipped in every few months.. but I never get enough sauce.. I just need to order an extra case every time.

..but this is for tonight so I don't have that option.

--Kyle

Dartgod
05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Everything you need to know is right here, extensively researched:
Gates = 4 Happy Pigs
JackStack = 3 Happy Pigs?

WTF? Gates sucks ass. I hadn't been there in years, so I dropped by the one on State Line last year. Ordered a brisket sandwich and it was plain nasty. Tough and fatty as hell. I don't understand the fascination with this place. I know I'll never go back.

Baby Lee
05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
That sounded delicious until I got to the erection segment...uggh.

You want some killer beans at home? Try this simple recipe: Get one of those 40 oz cans of beans, place them in a casserole dish. Fry 6 strips of bacon smothered in brown sugar for a few minutes until the brown sugar starts to bubble. Break the bacon into bits and sprinkle on top of the beans and then bake in the oven at 350 for about 45 mins. Yummy, yum, yum....
You forgot slivered onions, diced garlic and a healthy shaking of Zatarains spice.

Baby Lee
05-17-2005, 10:09 AM
http://www.bandanasbbq.com/metacart2/productsByCategory.asp?intCatalogID=10001&strCatalog_NAME=Bar%2DB%2DQ+Sauces

Hot and Original are mustard based, South Carolina Style.
Sweet and Smoke and Spicy are tomato/molasses based, KC style.

All four are VERY worthy. Never thought I'd get into Mustard Style, being raised on KC style, but the Hot is perhaps my favorite out there.

Nzoner
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM

I also have Jack Stack shipped in every few months.. but I never get enough sauce.. I just need to order an extra case every time.

--Kyle

Kyle,were you around St Joe when Beaty BBQ was here?

The restaurant is closed but he's still bottling his sauce(regular and spicy),in fact a place called Keith's BBQ over in Elwood,KS is using it.Personally,it's the best I've ever had,we served it last year at the 37 Forever party and Pink liked it so well I got her a few bottles for home.

HemiEd
05-17-2005, 10:12 AM
No love for Rosedales? That is where we used to eat all the time when we up there for meetings. :hmmm:

AustinChief
05-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Kyle,were you around St Joe when Beaty BBQ was here?

The restaurant is closed but he's still bottling his sauce(regular and spicy),in fact a place called Keith's BBQ over in Elwood,KS is using it.Personally,it's the best I've ever had,we served it last year at the 37 Forever party and Pink liked it so well I got her a few bottles for home.

Where was it located and when was it open?

--Kyle

cdcox
05-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Kyle:

I tried the recipie listed in the thread starter below:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=101389

I ended up cutting back on the salt, adding extra vinegar and spice. I also simmered it on the stove for an hour or so. I think it turned out pretty good, but I never record exact amounts, so I won't be able to reproduce it. You might want to give the main recipie a try, then modify to your taste.

gblowfish
05-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Gates = 4 Happy Pigs
JackStack = 3 Happy Pigs?

WTF? Gates sucks ass. I hadn't been there in years, so I dropped by the one on State Line last year. Ordered a brisket sandwich and it was plain nasty. Tough and fatty as hell. I don't understand the fascination with this place. I know I'll never go back.That can be a problem at Gates. Multiple locations, some locations do it better than others. Ask for your beef sandwich LEAN and they'll give you a leaner cut. Turkey and Ribs are very good. Give it a second chance, and try something other than beef.

Jack Stack is also very good, it doesn't have the track record of Gates, which has been around since the 1940's. I think the best in the city are Gates, Bryant's and Rosedale. Some guy wrote me about a six page diatribe a few weeks ago, chewing me a new one because he thought Oklahoma Joe's was the best BBQ in the nation, and I didn't see it that way. That's the thing, everybody's got their own opinion about BBQ, so, party on, Wayne!

morphius
05-17-2005, 10:52 AM
I'll agree about Haywards, it did seem to go down for a while, but has been pretty darn good the last few times. Of course normally the wife and I just split one of thier sandwiches, haven't tried their ribs or anything like that. That is the wife and I's normal stop for BBQ. Boardroom's sandwhich wasn't to bad either.

Raiderhater
05-17-2005, 10:58 AM

Kraft KC Style
KC Masterpiece
Bull's Eye
Hunt's BBQ sauce
Sweet Baby Ray's
Emeril's
Stubbs

I prefer Bull's Eye of all the generic sauces. Though I would highly recommend the Jack Daniel's BBQ sauces. The Tennessee Hickory Mesquite is very good.

Dartgod
05-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Jack Stack is also very good, it doesn't have the track record of Gates, which has been around since the 1940's.
How long they've been around has nothing to do with the quality of their 'que. Gates and Bryants are legends in this town. Bryants still lives up to theirs, while Gates doesn't, IMO.

That's the thing, everybody's got their own opinion about BBQ, so, party on, Wayne!
'Tis true, that's what makes living in the BBQ Capitol of the World so great; so many places to choose from, you're bound to find something you like. :thumb:

Nzoner
05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Where was it located and when was it open?

--Kyle

Belt & Messanie in the early 90's

|Zach|
05-17-2005, 01:28 PM
I always thought Rosedale's was very under rated.

tomahawk kid
05-17-2005, 01:48 PM
That can be a problem at Gates. Multiple locations, some locations do it better than others. Ask for your beef sandwich LEAN and they'll give you a leaner cut. Turkey and Ribs are very good. Give it a second chance, and try something other than beef.

Jack Stack is also very good, it doesn't have the track record of Gates, which has been around since the 1940's. I think the best in the city are Gates, Bryant's and Rosedale. Some guy wrote me about a six page diatribe a few weeks ago, chewing me a new one because he thought Oklahoma Joe's was the best BBQ in the nation, and I didn't see it that way. That's the thing, everybody's got their own opinion about BBQ, so, party on, Wayne!

I got one of those brisket sandwiches after the Royals home opener at the Gates in Raytown. I was sicker than a dog the entire night. I can't even fathom eating anything with their sauce on it right now.

I've always been an Arthur Bryant's man myself.

I had Haywards for the first time over lunch today and that was pretty dam good.

Still, nothing comes close to Bryant's for me.

tomahawk kid
05-17-2005, 01:50 PM
I prefer Bull's Eye of all the generic sauces. Though I would highly recommend the Jack Daniel's BBQ sauces. The Tennessee Hickory Mesquite is very good.

Maul's KC Style is also a good base to use in building your own sauce.

htismaqe
05-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Having tried 7 of the "best" KC joints over the last 12 months (thanks Mr. Blowfish! :thumb:) I have to say that Fiorella's is BY FAR my favorite.

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Having tried 7 of the "best" KC joints over the last 12 months (thanks Mr. Blowfish! :thumb:) I have to say that Fiorella's is BY FAR my favorite.

Fiorella's? I have never even heard of them where are they located?

AustinChief
05-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Belt & Messanie in the early 90's

Early 90's = college for me, so I was already gone.

Baby Lee
05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Fiorella's? I have never even heard of them where are they located?
Fiorella is Jack Stack. They used to be called Smokestack. But there is a Smokestack just off the southern start of Bruce Watkins Parkway [where it takes over from 71 HWY] that, while not a popular, had been established in the area longer, and who took the trade name back from them for the KC area. Fiorella is the last name of the owner, so they changed their trade name to Fiorella's Jack Stack.

While we're running down memory lane, and referencing Martin City, I miss Keegans.

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Fiorella is Jack Stack. They used to be called Smokestack. But there is a Smokestack just off the southern start of Bruce Watkins Parkway [where it takes over from 71 HWY] that, while not a popular, had been established in the area longer, and who took the trade name back from them for the KC area. Fiorella is the last name of the owner, so they changed their trade name to Fiorella's Jack Stack.

While we're running down memory lane, and referencing Martin City, I miss Keegans.

Thanks

Eleazar
05-17-2005, 04:48 PM
How long they've been around has nothing to do with the quality of their 'que. Gates and Bryants are legends in this town. Bryants still lives up to theirs, while Gates doesn't, IMO.

'Tis true, that's what makes living in the BBQ Capitol of the World so great; so many places to choose from, you're bound to find something you like. :thumb:

no kidding, track record? I don't care how good their ribs were in the 40s. I care about what's on my plate right now. Jack Stack makes all those other places go cry for their mommies.

Logical
05-17-2005, 07:40 PM
GATES!

You are ruining your rep with this post, ever since they went corporate in the 80s they have really went downhill. Still better than many places around the country but way down the list of KC Que.

Logical
05-17-2005, 07:46 PM
As many of you know... I live in Austin (my handle was really confusing when I lived in Spain).. and that means zero chance of decent BBQ. So in my continual effort to "make do".. I am looking for either a recipe for a great BBQ sauce or a way to "convert" a nationally available sauce into a decent one. I am a huge Jack Stack guy .. so something that ends up like their original sauce would be perfect. Although I will try damn near anything.

Any ideas, recipes, etc?

--Kyle

http://jackstackbbq.com/article.asp_Q_ai_E_142

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/bbqshopping.htm

Having the same issue as you, I am going to try ordering on line both Bryants and Jackstacks sauce and have it delivered here.

Logical
05-17-2005, 07:52 PM

--Kyle

Alrighty then, you would know. Is the sauce ordered over the net about the same or the same as what you get in the restaurant?

Logical
05-17-2005, 07:55 PM
That can be a problem at Gates. Multiple locations, some locations do it better than others. Ask for your beef sandwich LEAN and they'll give you a leaner cut. Turkey and Ribs are very good. Give it a second chance, and try something other than beef.

While I don't agree with you about Gates I am happy to hear someone else appreciates Rosedale, one of my three KC favorites.

1 Bryants
2 Jack stack
3 Rosedale

cookster50
05-17-2005, 07:58 PM

There is a Smokestack at 89th and Wornall. Ate there today, love the poor russ and the sauce is great.

cookster50
05-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Rosedale's in my mind is good, but not one of the top. What about Smokin Joe's? I like the burnt end sandwich. For the most fries for your buck, Oklahoma Joe's wins.

Each of the BBQ joints have a "best item." So, depending on what you are jones'n for, you can find a place to go that will always fit the bill!

VonneMarie
05-17-2005, 08:01 PM
You are ruining your rep with this post, ever since they went corporate in the 80s they have really went downhill. Still better than many places around the country but way down the list of KC Que.
Like my avatar says, who gives a f#ck? Gates is good and I don't care what they did in the 80s. I was barely alive. ROFL

|Zach|
05-17-2005, 08:05 PM
There is all kinds of good stuff, among the top places listed here I don't see how one is that head and shoulders better than the others.I am a Rosedale\Arthur Bryant's fan.

Logical
05-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Like my avatar says, who gives a f#ck? Gates is good and I don't care what they did in the 80s. I was barely alive. ROFL

I guess you just like the whole fast food experience.:p

Logical
05-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Rosedale's in my mind is good, but not one of the top. What about Smokin Joe's? I like the burnt end sandwich. For the most fries for your buck, Oklahoma Joe's wins.

Each of the BBQ joints have a "best item." So, depending on what you are jones'n for, you can find a place to go that will always fit the bill!

Got to admit I have never heard of Smokin Joe's.

cookster50
05-18-2005, 04:28 AM
Got to admit I have never heard of Smokin Joe's.

It's downtown. I don't know the name of the streets, but it is down the road from Manny's. North of Crown Center.

wildcat09
05-18-2005, 04:56 AM
It's downtown. I don't know the name of the streets, but it is down the road from Manny's. North of Crown Center.

a friend of mine says it is great. one of the best he has had. i need to go and try it. anyone know an exact location?

htismaqe
05-18-2005, 05:15 PM
While I don't agree with you about Gates I am happy to hear someone else appreciates Rosedale, one of my three KC favorites.

1 Bryants
2 Jack stack
3 Rosedale

We found Rosedale by sheer luck. It happened to be right across from the hotel we stayed out on our last BBQ pilgrimage...

cookster50
05-18-2005, 05:18 PM
We found Rosedale by sheer luck. It happened to be right across from the hotel we stayed out on our last BBQ pilgrimage...

This wasn't a couple weeks ago was it? Someone got stabbed there......

not saying it was you who did it, but......

BTW, Sol Azteca is a good mexican place next to Rosedales.

SBK
05-18-2005, 07:08 PM
So who's the best behind Jack Stacks, Bryants and Gates? Most folks seem to agree they are top 3, who's next?

cdcox
05-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Zarda is pretty tasty.

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 07:15 PM
I guess you just like the whole fast food experience.:p
Not understandin' ya.

Dartgod
05-18-2005, 07:20 PM
So who's the best behind Jack Stacks, Bryants and Gates? Most folks seem to agree they are top 3, who's next?
LC's is supposed to have the best ribs in town, but I've never eaten there. Some day I've got to try it out.

I'm not sure I'd even put Gates in the top 10.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 07:26 PM
LC's is supposed to have the best ribs in town, but I've never eaten there. Some day I've got to try it out.

But....but..Gates has been around since the 40's, it MUST be good. :p

SBK
05-18-2005, 07:45 PM
But....but..Gates has been around since the 40's, it MUST be good. :p

I like Gates, it's not on the same field as Jack Stack and Bryants, but it's good. Also cleans my pipes better than 15 pounds of ex lax. I eat there and it's a guaranteed walk of shame in my future.

Jenson71
05-18-2005, 07:46 PM
How about KC Jazz Clubs?

SBK
05-18-2005, 07:48 PM

So who's the top 10? Everytime Im in KC I try to hit up new BBQ places. So far Im not doing so well as I end up at Jack Stacks everytime. Well, last time I ended up there, Gates and Bryants all in the same day....I want to try a few new spots next time Im in town.

gblowfish
05-18-2005, 07:50 PM
But....but..Gates has been around since the 40's, it MUST be good. :pTrust me, guys & gals, Gates IS good. A couple people on this board say they got a bad beef sandwich. I don't doubt that, especially if your only "Gates" experience was at Kauffman Stadium. Gates has excellent turkey & chicken, the pork and ribs are wonderful. Some of you have tried the "burnt ends" that I think are fatty and grisly, because it the end piece of a slab of ribs that has been trimmed away.

Gates sauce is terrific, and they make at least three styles, hot, original and sweet and mild. I've gotten subpar meals there on a couple rare occasions, usually it's been a fatty sandwich or less than hot bbq beans. But most of the time it's very fine. You can ask for them to cut your sandwich LEAN if you're worried about it.

You can buy their stuff over the net: http://www.gatesbbq.com/\

Other really good BBQ joints include: Rosedale in KCK, LC's BBQ (couple of locations) some folks like Oklahoma Joe's (Mission, KS and Olathe) and a real sleeper is Boardroom BBQ in Overland Park. It's very good.
Again, the whole overview is available on my website at:

Can I get a witness??

gblowfish
05-18-2005, 07:53 PM
BTW, Sol Azteca is a good mexican place next to Rosedales.Sol Azteca used to be a nasty strip club called "Shadows." Frequented a few bachelor parties there in the 1980's.

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 07:56 PM
KC Masterpiece don't get any love? I don't like them but the Lay's are pretty good.

Baby Lee
05-18-2005, 08:00 PM
KC Masterpiece don't get any love? I don't like them but the Lay's are pretty good.
KC Masterpiece is about to make the biggest mistake of it's life. It has plans to open 16 stores in St. Louis and 40-some odd throughout the region.
I like KCM all right [there are two already herr in Big Derrty], but the above mentioned Bandanas is gonna KILL them. They've opened 20 some-odd restaurants since they started [in 1994] and everyone who's ever eaten there are almost reverential about the experience.

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
KC Masterpiece is about to make the biggest mistake of it's life. It has plans to open 16 stores in St. Louis and 40-some odd throughout the region.
I like KCM all right [there are two already herr in Big Derrty], but the above mentioned Bandanas is gonna KILL them. They've opened 20 some-odd restaurants since they started [in 1994] and everyone who's ever eaten there are almost reverential about the experience.
How is that a mistake?

cdcox
05-18-2005, 08:07 PM

I hate their sauce. Never ate at their resturaunt.

Baby Lee
05-18-2005, 08:09 PM
How is that a mistake?
They're gonna be the next Ultimate Electronics.

ChiefFripp
05-18-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm in Orlando, the best I can do right now is order a BBQ style pizza.

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 08:12 PM
I hate their sauce. Never ate at their resturaunt.
I agree, but, the Lay's dosen't taste anything like the sauce. :Lin:

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Trust me, guys & gals, Gates IS good. A couple people on this board say they got a bad beef sandwich. I don't doubt that, especially if your only "Gates" experience was at Kauffman Stadium. Gates has excellent turkey & chicken, the pork and ribs are wonderful. Some of you have tried the "burnt ends" that I think are fatty and grisly, because it the end piece of a slab of ribs that has been trimmed away.

Gates sauce is terrific, and they make at least three styles, hot, original and sweet and mild. I've gotten subpar meals there on a couple rare occasions, usually it's been a fatty sandwich or less than hot bbq beans. But most of the time it's very fine. You can ask for them to cut your sandwich LEAN if you're worried about it.

Other really good BBQ joints include: Rosedale in KCK, LC's BBQ (couple of locations) some folks like Oklahoma Joe's (Mission, KS and Olathe) and a real sleeper is Boardroom BBQ in Overland Park. It's very good.

Can I get a witness??

The very fact that you list the best Smo... er, Jackstack location to visit is one other than the original in Martin City tells me you are smoking something.

How about Smoke House on Shawnee Mission PKWY and Quivira? Not even a mention. Damn good eating. As is 7th Street BBQ in KCK (or at least it used to be, it's been years since I last ate there).

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 08:20 PM

Average KC BBQ at best. I rate it just higher than the stuff they pass for BBQ down here in Tejas.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 08:34 PM
Trust me, guys & gals, Gates IS good. A couple people on this board say they got a bad beef sandwich. I don't doubt that, especially if your only "Gates" experience was at Kauffman Stadium. Gates has excellent turkey & chicken, the pork and ribs are wonderful. Some of you have tried the "burnt ends" that I think are fatty and grisly, because it the end piece of a slab of ribs that has been trimmed away.

Can I get a witness??
Could you please explain away Gate's shitty frozen french fries? It's fast food plain and simple. OK if you're in a hurry.

Logical
05-18-2005, 08:38 PM
The very fact that you list the best Smo... er, Jackstack location to visit is one other than the original in Martin City tells me you are smoking something.

How about Smoke House on Shawnee Mission PKWY and Quivira? Not even a mention. Damn good eating. As is 7th Street BBQ in KCK (or at least it used to be, it's been years since I last ate there).

Actually I like the location near Union Station better, same quality, better atmosphere, easier to get to, less wait. Martin City is great don't get me wrong, but I hate the drive down there and it is small so there is always an ungodly wait, and it is cramped.

Dartgod
05-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Trust me, guys & gals, Gates IS good.
Good? Maybe. Not even close to great though. I understand you have your opinion, but, IMO, Gates hasn't been great in many years. They are waaaay over-rated.

I've gotten subpar meals there on a couple rare occasions, usually it's been a fatty sandwich or less than hot bbq beans.
Funny. I've never had a subpar meal at Jack Stack.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Actually I like the location near Union Station better, same quality, better atmosphere, easier to get to, less wait. Martin City is great don't get me wrong, but I hate the drive down there and it is small so there is always an ungodly wait, and it is cramped.

Eh, I'm an original type of person. To each their own I guess.

Though I do agree on the drive. That ensures I only visit that location on special occaisons.

Logical
05-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Not understandin' ya.

Gates went corporate in the 80s and became the fast food of BBQ in KC, quality dropped way to hell off, and frankly their service sucks. Even at their original location. Sad, sad, sad. Fortunately there are plenty of other outstanding places to choose from. I would happily settle for decent Gates in San Diego. Such is the sad state of BBQ in Socal.

Dartgod
05-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Though I do agree on the drive. That ensures I only visit that location on special occaisons.
Living in Belton helps. :D

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 08:51 PM

True enough. Of course for me, after a 13 hour drive to reach the metro area, what's an additional 15 or 20 minutes just to hit Martin City? :D

Actually, the way I come up I go through, or well by pass now that they have that finished, Martin City. I just need to stop off on my way into town. I just usually do not feel like eating immediatley after a 13 hour drive. I need to relax a little first.

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Gates went corporate in the 80s and became the fast food of BBQ in KC, quality dropped way to hell off, and frankly their service sucks. Even at their original location. Sad, sad, sad. Fortunately there are plenty of other outstanding places to choose from. I would happily settle for decent Gates in San Diego. Such is the sad state of BBQ in Socal.
You trying to say I'm not of "quality?" :spock:

unlurking
05-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Sadly, KCM would be the king of Que in Colorado. Can't find any place that doesn't serve that Memphis style crap where you can't taste anything but vinegar.

I do like there chicken and brisket meal. Sliced brisket on a huge chicken breast smothered in BBQ sauce and a quarter inch thick layer of melted cheddar. The sauce could definitely use some work, but that is one hell of a combo plate.

Baby Lee
05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Or, if you live in St. Louie, having your family still living in Belton helps. Though with Grammy living in Lenexa, we usually gravitate over there for get-together meals.

Baby Lee
05-18-2005, 09:05 PM
BTW - how's Sneads holding up these days, DG?

Dartgod
05-18-2005, 09:10 PM
BTW - how's Sneads holding up these days, DG?
They're still around, but I've never eaten there. Closest I've been is the convenience store next door or the fireworks stand in their parking lot arounfd the Fourth.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Or, if you live in St. Louie, having your family still living in Belton helps. Though with Grammy living in Lenexa, we usually gravitate over there for get-together meals.
So you're from KC but choose to live in St. Loser? You should be drawn and quartered. Hell, you're a lawyer, you can steal anywhere which makes it worse.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:12 PM

Isn't that just like a woman?

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Sadly, KCM would be the king of Que in Colorado. Can't find any place that doesn't serve that Memphis style crap where you can't taste anything but vinegar.

I do like there chicken and brisket meal. Sliced brisket on a huge chicken breast smothered in BBQ sauce and a quarter inch thick layer of melted cheddar. The sauce could definitely use some work, but that is one hell of a combo plate.

When I was in Denver about 3 years ago I noticed that there was a Gates in town. I was mildly shocked.

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Isn't that just like a woman?
That's just like a man, Always trying to complicate things. :shake:

Baby Lee
05-18-2005, 09:18 PM
So you're from KC but choose to live in St. Loser? You should be drawn and quartered. Hell, you're a lawyer, you can steal anywhere which makes it worse.
Excuse me if I don't take location advice from a guy in Arkansas.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:19 PM
That's just like a man, Always trying to complicate things. :shake:

Just like a woman, trying to blame a man for complicating an issue that she herself is responsible for complicating.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:20 PM

ROFL

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Just like a woman, trying to blame a man for complicating an issue that she herself is responsible for complicating.
Just like a man, always trying to confuse the woman because he himself is confused and then turns around and blames the woman.

unlurking
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
When I was in Denver about 3 years ago I noticed that there was a Gates in town. I was mildly shocked.
I think you mistook our local Gates "rubber factory" in Denver. There is no Gates BBQ in Denver.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Just like a man, always trying to confuse the woman because he himself is confused and then turns around and blames the woman.

Quit talking back and go get me a beer, woman.

God, I hate stupidity.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:27 PM
I think you mistook our local Gates "rubber factory" in Denver. There is no Gates BBQ in Denver.

I saw GATES BBQ painted on the roof......

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Quit talking back and go get me a beer, woman.

God, I hate stupidity.
Um, bite me.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Um, bite me.

Don't tease me, that's just cruel.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
You're a damn poor thief for a lawyer. NW Arkansas is the 2nd fastest growing area of the nation behind only the Las Vegas area. You could steal a lot more money down here. I guess somebody had to finish last in his class.

unlurking
05-18-2005, 09:31 PM
I saw GATES BBQ painted on the roof......
Where at?

I just double checked the gatesbbq.com site, and they have no locations outside of MO or KS.

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Don't tease me, that's just cruel.
Go hump a cactus.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Where at?

I just double checked the gatesbbq.com site, and they have no locations outside of MO or KS.

Damned if I can recall. I know I was on a freeway, but that is about all I can tell you. I've slept a night or two since then. ;)

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Go hump a cactus.

To hear it told, it wouldn't be much different than humping you......

Logical
05-18-2005, 09:35 PM

Brilliant, how the heck did you jump to that conclusion.

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:37 PM
ROFL

Off topic, has anyone seen the new show Teammates on ESPN? It's pretty good. :hmmm:

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Brilliant, how the heck did you jump to that conclusion.
According to RH, I'm a woman?

unlurking
05-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Damned if I can recall. I know I was on a freeway, but that is about all I can tell you. I've slept a night or two since then. ;)
LOL

You can see the Gates plant from I-25 as you're heading north towards the stadium. I have never heard of a Gates BBQ in the state tho.

This look familiar?

Logical
05-18-2005, 09:39 PM

Ba..Zing

Logical
05-18-2005, 09:40 PM
According to RH, I'm a woman?

I am guessing more like Psicosis' alternate universe double.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:42 PM
LOL

You can see the Gates plant from I-25 as you're heading north towards the stadium. I have never heard of a Gates BBQ in the state tho.

This look familiar?

That's not what I saw. I'm not doubting you, but I remember seeing Gates BBQ on a rooftop. It is possible the thin air had more effect on me than I realized.....

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:42 PM
I am guessing more like Psicosis' alternate universe double.
Are you trying to seduce me? :spock:

unlurking
05-18-2005, 09:43 PM
That's not what I saw. I'm not doubting you, but I remember seeing Gates BBQ on a rooftop. It is possible the thin air had more effect on me than I realized.....
I just wanna make sure, cuz I haven't found a single BBQ joint in Colorado that does KC Que. Even if it were Gates, not my favorite, I'd slobber all over the place. Makes me wish I had the cash to buy a Jack Stack franchise.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Are you trying to seduce me? :spock:

Just like a woman......

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Just like a woman......
Why do you always have to complicate things?

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
I just wanna make sure, cuz I haven't found a single BBQ joint in Colorado that does KC Que. Even if it were Gates, not my favorite, I'd slobber all over the place. Makes me wish I had the cash to buy a Jack Stack franchise.

Well if it is not listed on the website, it probably isn't there.

Possibly some Denverites wanted to mock KC BBQ by comparing it to rubber. Or, I was smoking something I shouldn't have been at the time.....

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:48 PM
Why do you always have to complicate things?

Just like a woman......

VonneMarie
05-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Complication.

Raiderhater
05-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Complication.

The very definition of a woman.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 10:42 PM
The very definition of a woman.

Very accurate, did you read that somewhere?

cookster50
05-19-2005, 06:40 AM

Sorry, but that location near Union Station isn't BBQ!! You DO NOT serve BBQ with a sprig of parsly and you do NOT have cloth napkins when eating BBQ.

cookster50
05-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Interesting listing of some KC BBQ joints.

www.gasbbq.net

Infidel Goat
05-19-2005, 07:28 AM

I was back in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed that the KC Masterpiece on Lindberg Blvd. had closed--so there may only be one there now.

FWIW, though, the best bbq I've ever had was in St. Louis. The Super Smoker on Watson Road (near Crestwood) is fantastic. Ribs, pulled pork, and chicken are all first rate. They even won the "whole hog" category in the Memphis in May Int'l Competition a couple of years ago. They have the usual variety of sauces, but I prefer the dry rub they use on the ribs to any of the sauces.

I lived in Kansas City for about 20 years and remember a number of their joints very fondly. Nobody else has mentioned it, but I was always a sucker for Jake Edwards (on Main near the Plaza). Nice hole in the wall with a great sauce. Not sure if it's any good today, though.

--Infidel Goat

Baby Lee
05-19-2005, 07:51 AM
You're a damn poor thief for a lawyer. NW Arkansas is the 2nd fastest growing area of the nation behind only the Las Vegas area. You could steal a lot more money down here. I guess somebody had to finish last in his class.
I'd heard you were a cranky old man. Had no idea you were such a f*cking loser.

Baby Lee
05-19-2005, 07:55 AM
I was back in St. Louis a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed that the KC Masterpiece on Lindberg Blvd. had closed--so there may only be one there now.
That location was horrible, due to the divider down Lindbergh. Coming from the south you gotta drive by it, loop onto Olive, go over the overpass, loop back down onto southbound Lindbergh, then there's that tiny entrance to navigate while people are driving around you at 50+.

morphius
05-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Has KC Masterpiece improved in the last 5 years at all? The food used to be decent, but I used to walk out with leftovers, the last two times I ate there I left hungry. So I haven't even bothered to go back.

cookster50
05-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Nobody else has mentioned it, but I was always a sucker for Jake Edwards (on Main near the Plaza). Nice hole in the wall with a great sauce. Not sure if it's any good today, though.

--Infidel Goat

I work about 2 blocks from that location. They recently moved further south on Wornall. I never ate there because my coworkers said it really sucked.....

Logical
05-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Sorry, but that location near Union Station isn't BBQ!! You DO NOT serve BBQ with a sprig of parsly and you do NOT have cloth napkins when eating BBQ.

I usually eat on the patio, no cloth napkins and I don't recall any parsley either. Are you sure you're thinking of Fioreella's at 101 W 22nd street.

SBK
05-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Has KC Masterpiece improved in the last 5 years at all? The food used to be decent, but I used to walk out with leftovers, the last two times I ate there I left hungry. So I haven't even bothered to go back.

Is that due to the size of the serving, or the size of the one being served? :p

chagrin
10-28-2005, 08:04 PM
You forgot slivered onions, diced garlic and a healthy shaking of Zatarains spice.

NO! Tony's! Not zatarain's! Man, nobody in Louisiana uses that stuff, ya gotta use Tony's!

Raiderhater
10-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Is that due to the size of the serving, or the size of the one being served? :p

Based on what I saw a couple of weeks ago, the size of the serving.

SBK
10-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Based on what I saw a couple of weeks ago, the size of the serving.

There you go, ruining a dumb joke. :)