PDA

View Full Version : You owe me big time ENDO

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 01:38 PM
I just saved your life brother

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/05/17/kudzu.drinking.ap/index.html

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- The hardy, invasive kudzu vine, introduced to this country decades ago to control soil erosion, could have what it takes to curb binge drinking, new research suggests.

Kudzu, an ever-expanding plant considered a pest in much of the South, appears to contain a compound that can be effective in reducing alcohol intake among humans.

Researcher Scott Lukas did not have any trouble rounding up volunteers for his study, published in this month's issue of Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research.

Lukas' team at Harvard-affiliated McLean Hospital set up a makeshift "apartment" in a laboratory, complete with a television, reclining chair and a refrigerator stocked with beer.

Findings show that subjects who took kudzu drank an average of 1.8 beers per session, compared with the 3.5 beers consumed by those who took a placebo.

Lukas was not certain why but speculated that kudzu increases blood alcohol levels and speeds up its effects. More simply put, the subjects needed fewer beers to feel drunk.

"That rapid infusion of alcohol is satisfying them and taking away their desire for more drinks," Lukas said. "That's only a theory. It's the best we've got so far."

In 2003, David Overstreet and other scientists found the herb to be effective in reducing alcohol intake on rats.

"There's a lot of anecdotal evidence from China that kudzu could be useful, but this is the first documented evidence that it could reduce drinking in humans," said Overstreet, who described Lukas' work "groundbreaking."

Lukas recruited 14 men and women in their 20s to spend four 90-minute sessions consuming beer and watching TV. Researchers selected people who said they regularly consumed three to four drinks per day.

After the first session, some subjects received capsules of kudzu, others a placebo.

"Unbeknownst to them, I was weighing that mug of beer every time they took a sip," Lukas said. "We actually got a sip-by-sip analysis of their drinking behavior."

None of the subjects had any side effects from mixing kudzu with beer.

"It's perfectly safe, from what we can tell," Lukas said. "Individuals reported feeling a little more tipsy or lightheaded, but not enough to make them walk into walls or stumble and fall."

Though kudzu won't turn drinkers into teetotalers, Lukas said, he hopes it can help heavy drinkers to cut back.

"That way, they're a lot closer to being able to cut down completely," he said.

Lukas' study was inspired by Dr. Wing Ming Keung, a pathology professor at Harvard Medical School who has studied kudzu's potential medical applications.

Keung, not directly involved in Lukas' study, said he has extracted a compound from kudzu root that he hopes to turn into a drug for reducing alcoholics' cravings.

"The most urgent need is helping people who cannot help themselves, who need a drug to help them stop drinking," Keung said.

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 01:43 PM
BIG TIME

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?follow-pro=1&vwcatalog=iherb&catalog=iherb&query=kudzu

Donger
05-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Great. Now I have that annoying Peter Gabriel song in my head.

Raiderhater
05-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Lukas was not certain why but speculated that kudzu increases blood alcohol levels and speeds up its effects. More simply put, the subjects needed fewer beers to feel drunk.

I don't know how this is going to help addicts other than saving them some cash. It just sounds like a way to get drunk on fewer drinks to me.

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 01:52 PM
I don't know how this is going to help addicts other than saving them some cash. It just sounds like a way to get drunk on fewer drinks to me.

Exactly, consuming less alchohol is a good thing when were talking about your health. Then again once the government realizes people will consume less alchohol and that will effect those businesses as well as cutting back on people needing more health care it will join the list of our 128 bizzillion other banned substances.

RedNFeisty
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Wow, another plant that gets you all ****ed up! And they say God didn't know what he was doing! :)

seclark
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
hey bd...you know of any natural remedies for joint pain(ie: knees/ankles)?
thanks,
sec

Raiderhater
05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
Exactly, consuming less alchohol is a good thing when were talking about your health. Then again once the government realizes people will consume less alchohol and that will effect those businesses as well as cutting back on people needing more health care it will join the list of our 128 bizzillion other banned substances.

Two points -

1) We don't know yet that this plant does not have its own negative affects.

2) That does not actually cure the addiction itself, which to my understanding is the premis of this. But I could be mistaken as to their intentions.......

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 01:56 PM
hey bd...you know of any natural remedies for joint pain(ie: knees/ankles)?
thanks,
sec

http://www.iherb.com/glucosaminef.html

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Two points -

1) We don't know yet that this plant does not have its own negative affects. .......

Which will be the basis of them banning it some day.

2) That does not actually cure the addiction itself, which to my understanding is the premis of this. But I could be mistaken as to their intentions.......

Drinking less alchohol to get drunk is a good thing.

seclark
05-17-2005, 01:59 PM
thanks again.
sec

Hydrae
05-17-2005, 02:00 PM

That is why this will never fly. Now I can be unsafe behind the wheel of my car after one beer. Like MADD is going to sit and let that happen.

Raiderhater
05-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Which will be the basis of them banning it some day.

Would not surprise me.

Drinking less alchohol to get drunk is a good thing.

I am not arguing that point, I just do not see it as actually fighting an addiction (read, self control) problem. I see it as trying to cure the symptoms instead of the disease. That is what I am getting at.

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Would not surprise me.

I am not arguing that point, I just do not see it as actually fighting an addiction (read, self control) problem. I see it as trying to cure the symptoms instead of the disease. That is what I am getting at.

Just trying to keep our brother ENDO healthy.

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Why the hell would I want to do that?

I don't know, drink less and get more drunk saving your health and some coin. Silly me, I forgot you drink because you love the taste. ROFL

BIG_DADDY
05-17-2005, 02:49 PM
They'll just push to lower the legal BAC to .05 or .01.

F*ckin nazis.

ROFL

They will just make it illegal for the children naturally. ROFL

Were doing this for your own good. Welcome to your felony and probation. :cuss:

KC Kings
05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
I took glucosamine with chondriotin for 3 months with no effect at all. I tore a ligiment in my ankle and couldn't jog for about 8 weeks, but continued to take the pills. After I started jogging again my knees didn't pop and crack as much, and the pain level was way down. Point of the story, you may have to change your work out to allow yourself to heal as well as take the glucosamine, but I am 250+ and jog 20 miles a week so it may differ depending on the cause of your joint pain.

Logical
05-17-2005, 04:39 PM

It is possible that you only feel the effects like you are drunk but your reflexes/motor system control are not impaired. This would be a benefit if true.

Bob Dole
05-17-2005, 04:41 PM
GODDAMNIT!

Bob Dole had a ****ing kudzu farm in the back yard of his last rental house. Never occurred to Bob Dole to eat the shit while he was whacking it down.

HemiEd
05-17-2005, 07:01 PM
It is possible that you only feel the effects like you are drunk but your reflexes/motor system control are not impaired. This would be a benefit if true.

Probably get a few more miles out of your liver as well.

Logical
05-17-2005, 07:12 PM
GODDAMNIT!

Bob Dole had a ****ing kudzu farm in the back yard of his last rental house. Never occurred to Bob Dole to eat the shit while he was whacking it down.

Pretty sure Bob Dole is lucky he did not eat that shit unprocessed.