PDA

View Full Version : For the Golfers I have found .....

Stinger
05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
... that heaven was located in Oregon, who knew?

All I have to say is I am not sure I will play two better courses than I played the last few days. I must say all the hype around this place was correct. You hear a place that is so built up and never reaches your expectations well for me this one exceeded it.

The only other courses that might knock it out would be Pebble Beach, but I don't see how. According to many of the experts this place has a better golf experience. The other would be St. Andrews, this would be the ultimate.

I must say that I am now smitten with Bandon and Pacific Dunes, and will try to get back there again in the next few years. We actually got great weather 3 out of the 4 rounds. That last round woo - hoo lets just say the elements came into play, I thought I was in the British Open. Thank God for the invention of gore-tex :D

Played ok but not great, but when you are with good friends and family playing an awe-inspiring course who cares. Although I ended up alittle ahead in the dinner buying department. :)

Here are a couple of pics I took from the course. Links golf with the Pacific Ocean was in awe at every turn, hopefully later on I will have the better ones ready:

#4 Pacific Dunes 463 Par 4 "Woof" :wayne:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Golf/100_1319.jpg

#13 Pacific Dunes 444 Par 4 this one :spank: me 2 out of 4 rounds
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Golf/100_1320.jpg

# 16 Bandon Dunes 363 Par 4 :drool:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/stinger871/Golf/100_1310.jpg

:cuss: I am over 3/4 the way done with my golf trips this year
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109932

Herzig
05-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Outstanding...I'm jealous. What were the green fees? Looks like a great track.

Phobia
05-17-2005, 08:12 PM
That's spectacular.

I'm in Scottsdale for 2 weeks sans sticks. Driving by a couple of their tracks has me kicking myself. That will never happen again.

sd4chiefs
05-17-2005, 08:21 PM
I play at Torrey Pines about twice a month. It's only $29 if you live in San Diego. :p

Herzig
05-17-2005, 08:22 PM
I play at Torrey Pines about twice a month. It's only $29 if you live in San Diego. :p

I HATE YOU TWO!! :banghead:

Stinger
05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Looks like a great track.

I can't tell you how amazing this place was. Everthing from the course to the practice facilities was well ...awesome!!! Being on a tee on a 100 ft cliff looking out over the Pacific ocean and then looking out at the course and its design. I am not sure I can put into words. Awe inspiring is the only thing that comes close that I can think of.

What were the green fees?

Alot ... it was the most I every paid to play per round, but it was well worth it.

$200 per round with a $90 replay fee. There are no motorized carts allowed on the course. You can pull cart it, carry your own bag, or get a caddie for $50 per round plus tip. I hate to say it but we (there were 6 of us) went all out, had a great caddie. In fact I had him for all the rounds that we played over the 3 days we were there.

Been home a little over 24 hours now and I can't wait to go back. Yes I am going back, but at those prices it may be another year or three, but I will be going back.

By the way they are just about to open a 3rd course. More inland only two spots on the course with a view of the Pacific, but a lot of elevation walked a few holes when we had some down time. It is going to be quite a course.

Skip Towne
05-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I can't tell you how amazing this place was. Everthing from the course to the practice facilities was well ...awesome!!! Being on a tee on a 100 ft cliff looking out over the Pacific ocean and then looking out at the course and its design. I am not sure I can put into words. Awe inspiring is the only thing that comes close that I can think of.

Alot ... it was the most I every paid to play per round, but it was well worth it.

$200 per round with a $90 replay fee. There are no motorized carts allowed on the course. You can pull cart it, carry your own bag, or get a caddie for $50 per round plus tip. I hate to say it but we (there were 6 of us) went all out, had a great caddie. In fact I had him for all the rounds that we played over the 3 days we were there.

Been home a little over 24 hours now and I can't wait to go back. Yes I am going back, but at those prices it may be another year or three, but I will be going back.

By the way they are just about to open a 3rd course. More inland only two spots on the course with a view of the Pacific, but a lot of elevation walked a few holes when we had some down time. It is going to be quite a course.
$200 greens fees and no carts? You like this game a whole lot better than I do.

Stinger
05-17-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm in Scottsdale for 2 weeks sans sticks

Ban Him!!!!

Actually being there and not being able to play is probably punishment enough.

:D

You can rent you know. In fact most facilities now have pro line clubs to rent for a minimal extra cost.

Stinger
05-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Believe me I would not have had it any other way. What better way to play a links style course with that scenery than to walk it with friends.

chief52
05-17-2005, 08:35 PM
I live about 3 hours down the coast in Eureka, California. The coast line is beautiful along here, but there is not golf with coastal views here.

You are lucky you are not here this week. Weather is very wintery. Raining and blowing all week.

Herzig
05-17-2005, 08:36 PM

I've been walking the course a lot more lately Skip. Not at LS, but at Paradise Valley and the Springdale Links.

Stinger
05-17-2005, 08:46 PM
You are lucky you are not here this week. Weather is very wintery. Raining and blowing all week.

Yeah we lucked out with the weather was perfect 2 out of the 3, that last day on Sunday well let say it was an experience with the rain and the wind. The temp was not bad around 45-50 degrees but the wind was gusting between 15 and 30 MPH. We noticed a few times that the rain was coming down sideways thanks to the wind :eek: .

Skip Towne
05-17-2005, 08:50 PM
I've been walking the course a lot more lately Skip. Not at LS, but at Paradise Valley and the Springdale Links.
Damn kids!! Remember, I'm older than your parents.

chief52
05-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah we lucked out with the weather was perfect 2 out of the 3, that last day on Sunday well let say it was an experience with the rain and the wind. The temp was not bad around 45-50 degrees but the wind was gusting between 15 and 30 MPH. We noticed a few times that the rain was coming down sideways thanks to the wind :eek: .

Just a tip for your next trip. The best weather is usually around September to early October. At least it is down here. Summer can be very foggy as the inland valleys get hot they suck the fog in off the ocean onto the coast.

Stinger
05-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Just a tip for your next trip. The best weather is usually around September to early October. At least it is down here. Summer can be very foggy as the inland valleys get hot they suck the fog in off the ocean onto the coast.

Thanks for the tip. :thumb:

And I saw what the fog can do we were amazed. We were on the 13th tee and notice the fog rolling in, more like creeping. That is the last hole on the Ocean by the time we got off of 14 green you could not see the 13th hole. It actually creeped behind us but never caught us. We figured that anyone 3 groups back probably got caught in it and had to wait it out for the next hour and half.

SCTrojan
05-17-2005, 09:01 PM

Played at one of the Torrey Pines courses a few years ago. IIRC, some of the landscape looked similar to the pics Stinger posted.

If carts aren't allowed, where do I haul the five dozen or so golf balls I'd need to complete the round at this course?

ROYC75
05-17-2005, 09:12 PM
WOW.... bet it is nice.

I have yet to hit a ball this year, almost affraid to.

Stinger
05-17-2005, 09:25 PM
If carts aren't allowed, where do I haul the five dozen or so golf balls I'd need to complete the round at this course?

Hehe ... they have a half way station that you pass 3 times durring the 18. It a little shack but has the all the right things. Golf balls, sandwhiches, drinks, stocking hats, and umbrellas.

That or you have a good caddy that will push a wheelbarrel while carring you clubs. :D

KCwolf
05-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Oregon is truly becoming a golfers paradise. I've had the wonderful pleasure of playing both Bandon and Pacific Dunes - and always thought it was the best Oregon had to offer. Well, on Monday I found one better. Pronghorn...located in Central Oregon in the high desert is truly spectacular. Pictures or words do not do this Jack Nicklaus signature course justice....it is truly one of a kind.

Phobia
05-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Ban Him!!!!

Actually being there and not being able to play is probably punishment enough.

:D

You can rent you know. In fact most facilities now have pro line clubs to rent for a minimal extra cost.

You know what the worst part is? I towed a work trailer down here and had enough extra room to carry my golf clubs and the golf clubs of everyone who has posted on this thread - even Herzig.

Herzig
05-18-2005, 05:48 AM
You know what the worst part is? I towed a work trailer down here and had enough extra room to carry my golf clubs and the golf clubs of everyone who has posted on this thread - even Herzig.

Sinner!! Burn him at the stake!

Actually, I still have quite a few clubs(mostly putters and wedges..5 or 6 of each), but I sold my lone backup set of irons Monday for $470(Ping S59's).

WilliamTheIrish
05-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Man that sounds like a hella trip.

One of the dr's I work for was just talking about Bandon Dunes. He's going to play it later this summer.

Stinger
05-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Man that sounds like a hella trip.

One of the dr's I work for was just talking about Bandon Dunes. He's going to play it later this summer.

It was :)

If you speak to him tell him to bring his camera and to work on those 50 yard putts when you have no way to hold a green and your 50 yards away. Greens don't hold just because of the type and style of course played alot of bump and run. And yes did play my putter 50 yards off the green. Hehe put it within 15 feet but missed the birdie putt :banghead: .

HemiEd
05-19-2005, 11:07 AM
... that heaven was located in Oregon, who knew?

All I have to say is I am not sure I will play two better courses than I played the last few days. I must say all the hype around this place was correct. You hear a place that is so built up and never reaches your expectations well for me this one exceeded it.

Wow, I had never thought of Oregon and Golf, thanks for sharing, I love links golf.

I live about 3 hours down the coast in Eureka, California. The coast line is beautiful along here, but there is not golf with coastal views here.

You should not be too far from one of my favorite tracks, Half Moon Bay? Poor man's Pebble Beach!
http://www.halfmoonbaygolf.com/