PDA

View Full Version : Is there any Chiefs fan on the Planet not an optimist after this offseason?

Logical
05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Poll forthcoming.

Logical
05-17-2005, 10:16 PM
I want it know now that I definitely have a homers viewpoint after this offseason.

Rain Man
05-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Like Vlad, I'm a relentlessly pollyannaish homer.

Logical
05-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Like Vlad, I'm a relentlessly pollyannaish homer.:D

keg in kc
05-17-2005, 10:21 PM
I think "homer" and "optimist" are mutually exclusive terms. I'd even say that some of the most negative people are just as "homer" as the happily blind. Maybe call 'em 'anti-homers' just to clarify things, but bitching constantly with tunnelvision is just as 'homer' as the most ardent red-and-gold begoggled guy drooling over Vonnie Holliday and Dexter McCleon.

As for me, I'm optimistic, but I don't think it has anything to do with being a 'homer'. I'm more objective than that.

HemiEd
05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I was an optimist before, but now I can be that way in the open without too much irritation to others. :D

Ultra Peanut
05-17-2005, 10:23 PM
I think moves have been made this offseason that have given me much hope for a lot of success next year. This is the first time in a long time I've been able to say that with complete conviction.

BigRedChief
05-17-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm a homer for sure but at least I have a boner to see King Carl hit the bricks. :p That makes me less of a homer than you.:harumph:

Logical
05-17-2005, 10:25 PM
I think "homer" and "optimist" are mutually exclusive terms. I'd even say that some of the most negative people are just as "homer" as the happily blind. Maybe call 'em 'anti-homers' just to clarify things, but bitching constantly with tunnelvision is just as 'homer' as the most ardent red-and-gold begoggled guy drooling over Vonnie Holliday and Dexter McCleon.

As for me, I'm optimistic, but I don't think it has anything to do with being a 'homer'. I'm more objective than that.

Great point, too bad I did not hire you as a consultant before I started this thread.

Maybe Russ will come along and be willing to fix my thread question by replacing the word homer with the word optimist.

Simplex3
05-17-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm not going to list all of the things I think can/are going to go wrong because I don't want to be blamed for jinxing it.

I have very serious doubts that there will be a Super Bowl victory party in KC in the next 5 years.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't think they made good moves this offseason. I just don't think it will be enough and there are certain things the offense has counted on for three years that are very unlikely to continue.

'Nuff said..

I guess maybe my point is that I'm still pissed that they squandered the last 3 years?

keg in kc
05-17-2005, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. I don't know why exactly I decided to wax eloquent on the meaning of "homer".

I think it would be hard to not be optimistic this summer, however. Important thing now is to stay healthy.

Logical
05-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. I don't know why exactly I decided to wax eloquent on the meaning of "homer".

I think it would be hard to not be optimistic this summer, however. Important thing now is to stay healthy.

Well it is just your point applied to me so perfectly last year that I immediately understood what you meant. I was still a homer even though I was about as negative as you could be on our chances.

Frazod
05-17-2005, 10:42 PM
My biggest concern is that the offense will go in the tank before the new defense has a chance to get its collective shit together. I think this coming season is now or never.

So I feel good about the coming season. After that, we're probably engaged in major rebuilding on the offensive side, and that's it, at least for a few years.

So basically its now or never. Time to quit f#cking around and get it done. I want to be wearing a World Champions shirt before we degenerate into hell.

keg in kc
05-17-2005, 10:49 PM
So I feel good about the coming season. After that, we're probably engaged in major rebuilding on the offensive side, and that's it, at least for a few years.I think that depends a lot on how guys already on the roster perform when given the opportunity. We have been building for the future on offense, too. We've seen Larry Johnson, at least briefly. He looks capable. We have some tackles we're comfortable with (Black and Sampson) and we have some young guards. We have at least one young receiver in Parker. We have Kris Wilson. Tony Gonzalez isn't going anywhere. I think that there may be a transitional phase as the old makes way for the new, but there's a decent chance that we won't have to really rebuild. The only things we don't have are a replacement for T-Rich and a definite QB in line after Green. And we've done well with inexpensive free agent acquisition on that side of the ball, so we shouldn't have too much trouble filling in whatever holes are left.

the Talking Can
05-17-2005, 11:09 PM
well, I erased a long ass post.... :cuss:

the point being, we're actually set up pretty good for the next 2-3 years...we acquired young talent this offseason with the exception of Knight...the key, imho, is both Sims and Siavii panning out (a big "if")

if they do- if!- then all we have to worry about for the next 3 years is:

a QBOTF (Trent is good for 2-3 years)
a LT (I think Welbourne can replace Shields, Roaf probably has 2 years)
a CB (to replace Warfield, and/or play nickle)
a #1 WR

we've got relatively young players (5 or more years left) in:

LJ
Parker
Wilson
Allen
Bell
Johnson
Surtain (ok, but he isn't old)
Hall
Sims
Siavii
Black
Wesley
Mitchell (yeah, I know..)

and players with 2-4 years left:

Green
Roaf
Welbourne
Dalton
Weigmann
Gonzo
Warfield
uh, the FB we signed from the Titans

CP may yet pull his ass from the fire....but only if Sims/Siavii wake up...and we score in next years draft (OL/QB/DE/CB)....

SCTrojan
05-18-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm a homer all the way.

jspchief
05-18-2005, 06:42 AM
I'd describe myself as "cautiously optimistic".

I believe we need all of our defensive aquisitions to pan out, and I'm skeptical that a few of them will.

There's no real reason to think we won't be better, it's just a question of how much better.

KCTitus
05-18-2005, 06:48 AM
The offseason is definately more interesting when the club engages in player transactions (trades, FA signings), but by and large it's really meaningless at this point. (see 2003)

It depends on what happens on the field.

Im hopeful...allways am, even though Carl is still GM.

Deberg_1990
05-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Call me "Cautiously Optimistic" Ive been burned by this organization and Carl too many times to get my hopes up too high. Ill wait until Sept/Oct timeframe to get excited.

keg in kc
05-18-2005, 07:20 AM
I'm not cautiously optimistic about the personnel. I believe in who we brought in and I think we have a contending calibre team now. This isn't like 2003 in that the new guys aren't retreads and second-tier turds like Holliday and McCleon; we've added legitimate pro bowl talent. I think this year will come down to just one thing: injuries. If we stay healthy, we're where we need to be.

milkman
05-18-2005, 07:39 AM
I'd say that I have hope.
I'm not sure that would be considered optimistic.

We need Sims, Siavii and possibly Kawika to play up to their potential and draft status.

But we also need playmakers and vocal leaders.

In Bell, Surtain, Knight and Johnson, we look to have added playmakers, and Knight has a reputation as a leader.
But I think that Bell has to become a leader in the front 7 to motivate the guys that need to step up.

And then there's always the injury issues.
We can't have any of the new additions go down.

morphius
05-18-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm still about guarded, been bit in the ass too many times. We made the right moves, but the D still has to gel together, and the general on the field at MLB right now has a bunch of question marks and may not even be the guy who starts there. Plus there is the whole question of who is going to start at CB if Warfield gets the 4 game suspension, especially considering the first 4 games out the gate are some the Chiefs hardest games this year.

I do think this team has a chance to dominate, but hey, I grew up in Missouri, so I need a little "show me" before I really believe it.

Mr. Kotter
05-18-2005, 07:52 AM
It's like everything in life...once you get what you want, you want more.

If you had told me in January that we'd have the off-season and draft we have, I'd have been ecstatic. However, there's a side of me that says we need three more players to either "emerge" or be signed after June 1: a playmaking WR, a blocker occupying mountain of a DT, and another tenacious DE. Maybe Parker/Kennison, Sims/Siavii, and Hicks/Hall will exceed my expectations...but I'm completely comfortable with those positions.

I know salary cap limitations, and availability of released players make that a pipe dream...but I can't help but say "Damn it, Carl. Make it happen!" :cuss:

OTOH, I did check "homer" in the poll, so I guess I'm cautiously optimistic.

Otter
05-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Cautiously optimistic. I find it baffling why they sat on their hands the last 3 years allowing the defense to drag down such a talented offense.

Peterson is just a tool like like that I guess.

However, great effort this offseason and I'm ready to drop some expendable income to pursue them for the first time in about 2 years.

MOhillbilly
05-18-2005, 09:08 AM
the lack of moves last year will hurt KC again this year.

I dont give a ****. You cannot standpat in FA,i dont care if youve won the SB 9 million years in a row.

PastorMikH
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Probably what turns me off the most Logical is that I'm ticked that Larry Johnson is still around. That jersy number could be used on a real player.

:p

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Cautiously optimistic. I find it baffling why they sat on their hands the last 3 years allowing the defense to drag down such a talented offense.

Peterson is just a tool like like that I guess.

However, great effort this offseason and I'm ready to drop some expendable income to pursue them for the first time in about 2 years.

Agreed.

It's irritating though that it takes the lack of season ticket renewals to get Carl off his ass.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 10:22 AM
Is there any Chiefs fan on the Planet not an optimist after this offseason?
I'm not an optimist. Only because whenever something positive begins to happen with the Chiefs, some bad thing definitely will. That's been the history since the Stram era. I cannot vote in your poll because you don't have that category.

ROYC75
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Call me "Cautiously Optimistic" Ive been burned by this organization and Carl too many times to get my hopes up too high. Ill wait until Sept/Oct timeframe to get excited.

Same here......

RedNFeisty
05-18-2005, 10:33 AM
I am very pumped and optimistic about this coming season. The last time CP had a good off-season he brought in Green and Priest, didn't make the team SB caliber, but it did get them closer and this time around I think CP and company did a stellar job at bringing people in. Let's rock and roll baby!!

King_Chief_Fan
05-18-2005, 10:38 AM
1st thought was too little, too late.
Aging offense needed this 3 years ago.

Pinning hopes on K-WEAK-A for the middle does not excite me.

Our D line is still suspect.

Mr. Laz
05-18-2005, 10:42 AM
i definately MORE optimistic

but i wouldn't label myself a "blind pollyanna homer"

bogie
05-18-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm excited that Gun is going to be calling plays from the field. I believe he's going to be breathing down the D's neck and will not allow them to let up. I think that will add another level to the O as well. I am a homer.

tk13
05-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't know if I'd say optimist, we did what we needed to do before the current offensive stars get much older. Who knows how well it's going to work. I think we might have the most talented team we've put on the field in about 10-12 years, but that doesn't always equate to wins. Plus we've still got a whole training camp and preseason to go through trying to stay healthy.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm excited that Gun is going to be calling plays from the field. I believe he's going to be breathing down the D's neck and will not allow them to let up. I think that will add another level to the O as well. I am a homer.

"I believe he's going to be breathing down the D's neck and will not allow them to let up."

That's the job of "team leaders." That's supposedly one of the reasons we brought in Knight, Surtain, and Bell. I'm just not very comfortabe with the egos of two headcoaches (of the same club) on that sideline. Apparently they've both been gentlemen about it, but the heat of the battle may open old wounds and that can't be healthy for the team. I like to see Gun in the press box where he will have a far better view of the field.

Logical
05-18-2005, 04:20 PM
the lack of moves last year will hurt KC again this year.

I dont give a ****. You cannot standpat in FA,i dont care if youve won the SB 9 million years in a row.

If we win the Super Bowl 9 million years in a row I would be willing to let Carl stand pat for one offseason again. But not before that.:harumph:

bogie
05-18-2005, 06:12 PM
"I believe he's going to be breathing down the D's neck and will not allow them to let up."

That's the job of "team leaders." That's supposedly one of the reasons we brought in Knight, Surtain, and Bell. I'm just not very comfortabe with the egos of two headcoaches (of the same club) on that sideline. Apparently they've both been gentlemen about it, but the heat of the battle may open old wounds and that can't be healthy for the team. I like to see Gun in the press box where he will have a far better view of the field.

You have a point. Hopefully he has enough confidence in Cunningham's abilities that ego's won't enter into the equation. You're correct about a better view of the field and "team leaders" but, this change shows me (and hopefully the team) that everyone is taking this year very seriously.

stevieray
05-18-2005, 06:31 PM
You have a point. Hopefully he has enough confidence in Cunningham's abilities that ego's won't enter into the equation. You're correct about a better view of the field and "team leaders" but, this change shows me (and hopefully the team) that everyone is taking this year very seriously.

I agree, the defensive identity seemed lucid at times..it all depends on who is relaying info to Gun ro determine whether this approach proves efficient. We can only hope he can reinstill the attitude from the past.

I do like the fact they have to face Gun when they come off the field.

tommykat
05-18-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm feeling mucho better this year than in the past.......also like the fact that Gunn is going to be on the field. It's time he went back to yelling his lungs out and letting the young and elders know what to do finally!

Hammock Parties
05-18-2005, 06:48 PM
If we win the Super Bowl 9 million years in a row I would be willing to let Carl stand pat for one offseason again. But not before that.:harumph:

Somehow I think the Chiefs may move the franchise somewhere in that 9 million years.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 07:05 PM

That has me curious,I wonder what 9 million looks like in Roman Numerals?

Bowser
05-18-2005, 09:02 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Frankie
05-18-2005, 10:27 PM

The headcoach is and should be THE BOSS out there. If a disagreement brews about a particular defensive phase of any given game, will Gunther, having before been the team's HC, resent having to let DV's opinion to prevail? How would such a clash affect the players observing it? The more I think about this the less I like the idea. Maybe a good compromise would be for Gunther to be on the sidelines for 2 or 3 games only. Then, if the 'D' has performed reasonably well, he can give them his vote of confidence and move upstairs.

Frankie
05-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Somehow I think the Chiefs may move the franchise somewhere in that 9 million years.

The "Alpha3305 Chiefs" of the 'C' quadrant.
ROFL

"Space, the final frontier...."

Inspector
05-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Even during the worst of times and horrible drafts, etc....I still reman hopeful during this part of the year.

And I stay that way clear up until halftime of the opening game.

But this year will be different. I'm seeing a 2003 like run only this time having the goods to make it real.

I need some Chiefs football soon. Anything. Pre-season even. I've gotta cure this craving!!