PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans vacation advise

tyton75
05-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Me and the wife are going to be heading for New Orleans next week for 4 days, I have been there once before but I was with a lot of my buddies and all we did was drink.. so I don't remember much.

Can any of you advise me on the other attractions of New Orleans to check out?? I know Bourbon Street and that is all..

BTW, we are driving! Kansas City to New Orleans- 13+ hours in a car with my wife.. could turn ugly!

Donger
05-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Me and the wife are going to be heading for New Orleans next week for 4 days, I have been there once before but I was with a lot of my buddies and all we did was drink.. so I don't remember much.

Can any of you advise me on the other attractions of New Orleans to check out?? I know Bourbon Street and that is all..

BTW, we are driving! Kansas City to New Orleans- 13+ hours in a car with my wife.. could turn ugly!

Yikes. That sounds like punishment. The again, New Orleans isn't exactly my favorite destination.

TEX
05-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Go on the vampire tour as it's pretty cool and it takes you around to many "haunted" places in New Orleans. It ends at about 1:00Am in a vampire bar. Those folks are a bit creepy but cool. You also need to hang out in the square by that big white church located right off the French Quarter. I forget the name but you can't miss it.There's always something going on there. Next, check out the Market - you can ride the trolley there from the quarter. If you want to, you can check out the acquarium. Oh - do a swamp tour but do the right one as there are many. Stay away from the big "commercial" ones as they're limited to where they can go. I went on one that was in a very small boat that only held 8 people and we went pretty far in the swamps and saw tons of cool stuff.

There's plenty to do in New Orleans, just go to any hotel and look at the brochures.

Hope this helps.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 09:27 AM

Go over to memphis and take the interstate down.

Go to telephone road stuff. Its about 20 miles or mintues away from the French Quarter. All kinds of tourist stuff and nice clubs.

Do the french quarter late at night. Clubs are all seedy but after you get off bourbon street about 5 or 6 blocks you can get to some local places that are fun if you don't act too touristy.

The takee outee stuff is really good for street food. Red beans and rice from street vendors is good. Do the beines during the day by the missispippi.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Make sure to try the wood fired pizza.

Bacco
310 Chartres Street, New Orleans
504/ 522-2426

Another hit from the Commanders Palace Family of Restaurants, Bacco is a great New Orleans bistro specializing in Homemade Pastas, Wood-Fired Pizzas andorcini Roasted Duck, Crabmeat & Pappardelle Pasta and our Italian Sausage Pesto Pizza. Situated in the heart of the French Quarter, Bacco boasts stunning decor, Courtyard dining (seasonal) and a festive Sunday Jazz Brunch. Dress is casual--come decked out in blue jeans to black tie.
Attire: Blue Jeans to Black Tie
Credit Cards: All Major
Hours: M-F 7-10 Sat & Sun 8:30-10; M-Sat 11:30-2:30; Sun Jazz Brunch 10:30-2:30; M-Sun 6:00-10:00

Donger
05-18-2005, 09:52 AM
BTW, try to eat at Mr. B's Bistro in the Quarter. Get the BBQ shrimp. They won't be what you're expecting, but they are phenomenal.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Jack Dempsey's, 738 Poland Ave., Lower Ninth Ward/Bywater.
Right around the corner from my family's "old neighborhood" down in the Ninth Ward, Jack Dempsey's is one of the last of the great neighborhood joints in this part of town. It's generally packed with locals, so expect a bit of a wait. The menu is divided into fried seafood and broiled seafood, beautifully done, in huge quantities.

nickman
05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
The square mentioned is Jackson square. Its a park and the surrounding streets are usually full of local artists displaying their wares. Other attractions are above ground cemetaries, garden district (old southern housing district, Mannings grew up there), river boat rides on the river, swamp tours...

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
If you like live music check out Tipitina's (http://www.tipitinas.com/default.asp) and the Preservation Jazz Hall. (http://www.preservationhall.com/) There will also be great live jazz just in front of St. Louis Cathedral. You might also run out to the lake front. There are also numerous swamp tours in the surrounding area. Also, if you are a history buff you might check out the Chalmette Battlefield (http://www.atneworleans.com/body/battlefield.htm) which is only a mile or three from the French Quarter.

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Leave the wife at home.

BigRedChief
05-18-2005, 10:10 AM
The square mentioned is Jackson square. Its a park and the surrounding streets are usually full of local artists displaying their wares. Other attractions are above ground cemetaries, garden district (old southern housing district, Mannings grew up there), river boat rides on the river, swamp tours...

I was 18 years old out of Springfield, mo and I was sitting in Jackson Square enjoying a "smoke" and a woman asked if she could have some too We talked and the next day I was offshore in the gulf of mexico on an oil rig driling for oil. 18 years old and making a grand a week. Legally drink and go to "gentleman's clubs". Out of the belt buckle of the bible belt I thought at the time this was nirvana.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 10:12 AM
I was 18 years old out of Springfield, mo and I was sitting in Jackson Square enjoying a "smoke" and a woman asked if she could have some too We talked and the next day I was offshore in the gulf of mexico on an oil rig driling for oil. 18 years old and making a grand a week. Legally drink and go to "gentleman's clubs". Out of the belt buckle of the bible belt I thought at the time this was nirvana.
I think I was 22 or 23 when I moved there. I arrived on Fat Tuesday and essentially partied for the next 3 years.

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 10:14 AM

Drilling for oil on a offshore rig? Crazy. I have an older buddy that lost some digits doing that sort of thing.

tyton75
05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the advice!.. I really like the idea of a swamp tour.. I wouldn't have ever thought of that.. Vampire tour sounds kinda cool too.. although I'm not sure if the missus would like it

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the advice!.. I really like the idea of a swamp tour.. I wouldn't have ever thought of that.. Vampire tour sounds kinda cool too.. although I'm not sure if the missus would like it
Swamp Tours (http://www.atneworleans.com/body/swamptours.htm)

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Pensacola Beach is 2 hours away too. We made an early trip when I was in NO and just stayed all day swimming, relaxing and drinking. Very nice IMO.

Athis
05-18-2005, 10:35 AM
http://www.nola.com/entertainment/
http://www.nola.com/lagniappe/t-p/
These links should help, as always if you go anyhere unfamiliar keep your eyes open. The weather isn't too bad , been actually pretty nice low 70's to mid 80's. Let me know if you need any more help.

mlyonsd
05-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Best Bloody Mary - The Absinthe...the one with the football helmets hanging from the ceiling.

I agree about the vampire tour...if your guide is good he'll have the women digging their nails into you. A cemetary tour is interesting too. They explain what the little chimney's are for on the mausoleums.

The open market is pretty cool, you'll see all kinds of neat ethnic stuff there.

Best sandwich - Central Kitchen's muffoletta(sp?). World famous. It's down by the market and next to the riverwalk so our tradition is to grab a muffoletta and find a bench on the riverwalk to watch the ocean going ships.

I've never taken a trolly ride but wanted to. The garden district is where the old homes with the cool yards are.

I've taken a swap tour, it was ok but about an hour too long and wasted half a day. IMO you can only see so many alligators catch marshmallows.

They also give tours of the Superdome, or at least they used to. The one I took they took us out on the field and up into the press box.

Best local neighborhood bar in the French Quarter...Fahey's. Drinks are way cheaper then out on Bourbon st. (it's about 2 blocks off) and the people are friendly.

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
I keep remembering things...

There's actually a cool little Irish corner in the French Quarter with a couple pubs and some import shops.

That's it I'm going back, road trip this summer.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Weirdest bar in the Quarter is The Dungeon. The place doesn't open until midnight IIRC.

ptlyon
05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
"My advice to you Flounder is drink heavily"

bsp4444
05-18-2005, 12:41 PM
The Honey Island Swamp tour was pretty informative, not just about alligators, but about the swamp itself.
You can take the trolley to the Garden District might interest your wife. A lot of nice old homes.
Eat at:
ACME Oyster Bar
Court of Two Sisters
Toujacs

ptlyon
05-18-2005, 12:51 PM
The more I think about it, if I lived there, I would be the perfect CP representitive from N.O..

Anybody coming to N.O. I would show them around.

"Hey, have one of these Hurricanes. Never had one? Gotta have one! They're good!" When everyone is done with their drink I will say, "So what do you want to do next? Ok, I'll take you to another bar. Here, have a Hurricane. These are much better than the ones at the last place." When everyone is done with their drink I will say, "Ok, what do you want to do now? Ok, I'll show you another little bar I like. Here, have a Hurricane. These are the BEST Hurricane's you can find in New Orleans." When everyone is done with their drink I will say, "Where do you want to go now? Ok, let's head off next door to this little bar. Have a Hurricane. These are the BEST Hurricane's you can find in New Orleans, even better than the last ones." When everyone is done with their drink I will say, "Ok, where do you want to go. Hello? HELLO? WAKE UP! Jesus, you forginers guys can't handle your liquor, can ya?"

Athis
05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
ptlyon: That's good considering I am from New Orleans. You forgot about the Monsoon from Snug Harbor. Compare the two and the Hurricane is a lite afternoon shower. There is alot more then Bourbon Street, like the plantations down the river. It is really cool if you are into history. Somebody else brought up the Chalmette Battlefield. It just depends what kind of mood you're in, you can find most anything to do.....other than drink yourself silly.

Idahojim
05-18-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm there about once a year. Don't leave without eating at ACME Oyster Bar in the French Quarter. Redfish Restaurant is good, too. Check out the revolving bar in the Monteleone Hotel in the quarter. Don't forget Jackson Square - the catheral there is impressive as well. I would also recommend the city tour that gives you a really good feel for New Orleans, from the cemeteries to Anne Rice's house to some of the stories behind the French Quarter.

Enjoy.

ptlyon
05-18-2005, 01:12 PM
ptlyon: That's good considering I am from New Orleans. You forgot about the Monsoon from Snug Harbor.

Never heard of it. I have only been there once. I was there for a week long conference. Conference during the day, and Bourbon St. at night was the only thing that I saw other than the airport.

Athis
05-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Actually, the Monsoon is not bad considering the Hurricane is mostly Kool-Aid. The Monsoon is more of a real tropical drink, like with real juice and lots of alcohol. Snug Harbor has some damn good hamburgers and loaded potatoes.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 01:23 PM
I nearly forgot. If you like live music you've got to check this place out:

The Maple Leaf Bar, 8316 Oak Street, uptown, 866-5323 for recorded info, 866-9359 for an actual person.
Small, dark and dripping with atmosphere, this bar is a great place just to hang out, and every night features the best in Louisiana music. The Iguanas play every Sunday when they're in town. Regularly featured are Walter "Wolfman" Washington, ReBrith Brass Band, File' Cajun band, Sunpie Barnes' Blues & Zydeco Show, Rockin' Dopsie Jr. & the Zydeco Twisters, J. Monque'd Blues band, and more. Shows change nightly.

ptlyon
05-18-2005, 01:25 PM
I nearly forgot. If you like live music you've got to check this place out:

That would have been a place I would have loved to go to, but was probably way too far from where I was staying. Too bad.

JimNasium
05-18-2005, 01:28 PM
That would have been a place I would have loved to go to, but was probably way too far from where I was staying. Too bad.
The last time I was there I struck up a conversation with the bartender and he started serving me drinks on the house. I lost count at six. There was some crazy assed funk/jam band there that night but all memories of the band are a tad bit fuzzy. A buddy of mine was down there last year and got to see Pine Top Perkins. Damn my luck. :shake:

tyton75
05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Anyone know if the Neville Brothers still have a place down there and do they still play every night?

chagrin
05-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Jack Dempsey's, 738 Poland Ave., Lower Ninth Ward/Bywater.
Right around the corner from my family's "old neighborhood" down in the Ninth Ward, Jack Dempsey's is one of the last of the great neighborhood joints in this part of town. It's generally packed with locals, so expect a bit of a wait. The menu is divided into fried seafood and broiled seafood, beautifully done, in huge quantities.

The 9th Ward, yikes! Dude, don't forget your protective body armor...

chagrin
05-19-2005, 10:47 AM
donnasbarandgrill.com

MY friend's mom, Donna, owns this place...it's on Rampart. Not the best part of the quarter, but it's away from Bourbon Street.

My suggestion, other than this, is to eat at Arnaud's, Have the Arnaud's Shrimp as an appetizer and in my humble opinion, they have the best Sunday brunch in town. Naturally, you'll want to take a night time cemetary tour and don't come back without a preserved Alligator head for yer desk!

Athis
05-19-2005, 11:39 AM
The Neville's really only play, as a group, at big occasions like Jazz fest. I am pretty sure about that, when they play it is on all the radio stations and haven't heard any lately. I believe Art or Cerille Neville has his own band that plays around town it is call the Uptown Allstars. Charman, a sister, plays regularly at Snug Harbor. Donna's is an excellant place to see Jazz. The few times I went it was really cool. Guys from different bands jammed. Very up close and personnal....When you get to town get a Laginappe, which comes in the Friday newspaper or another Tab called the Gambit. You can get a Gambit at most anywhere. Both will give all the listings for the week.

chagrin
05-19-2005, 12:00 PM
The Neville's really only play, as a group, at big occasions like Jazz fest. I am pretty sure about that, when they play it is on all the radio stations and haven't heard any lately. I believe Art or Cerille Neville has his own band that plays around town it is call the Uptown Allstars. Charman, a sister, plays regularly at Snug Harbor. Donna's is an excellant place to see Jazz. The few times I went it was really cool. Guys from different bands jammed. Very up close and personnal....When you get to town get a Laginappe, which comes in the Friday newspaper or another Tab called the Gambit. You can get a Gambit at most anywhere. Both will give all the listings for the week.

Dude,

I thought I was one of only 3 CHIEFS fans in the state altogether, what's up! :thumb:

chagrin
05-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, not anymore obviously. I am not there anymore...

Athis
05-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Where are you from?

Spicy McHaggis
05-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Athis are you a student or resident in NO?

Athis
05-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Born and raised..

chagrin
05-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Raised in Shreveport: Middle name is Kent, family founded the little town of Kentwood. I have lived in Ville Platte (real flat), Opelousas as well. Have some great friends that still live down there from chalmette and LaPlace

Athis
05-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Oh Veal Plot. I love the way cajuns say it...I drink the springs water from Kentwood..I lived with a girl from Chalmette, really liked her family that was the hardest breaking up part....

chagrin
05-19-2005, 02:43 PM
My fav part of LaPlace was the brown water, it was actually brown coming out of the tap!! I am supposed to be going there Saturday with my girlfriend, putting some Flowers on mom's grave and hanging out with some friend down in the Quarter. We are staying at the St. Louis, you play around there somewhere?

Athis
05-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Awe Man I got to work. That's where I am now. I hate that shift it gets in the way of a good time. Check out a place called the Chart Room it is on the corner of Charters and I think Bienville or Iberville. One of my favorites down there. It has french doors all around two sides and characters that hang out there are pretty funny. Have one for me..

chagrin
05-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Ok dude, we'll have some Tak-ee Out-ee and a Lucky dog as well