PDA

View Full Version : Driving without insurance

cdcox
05-18-2005, 02:09 PM
My wife was just in a car accident. Thankfully she came out of it with a bruise. The bozo who rammed her (hard enough so knock my wife's car into the car in front of her, which in turn collided with the car in front of him) doesn't have insurance. No doubt he doesn't have the money to pay for the damage he caused. The judge might take away his liscence. Big deal he drives without insurance, I'm sure he will drive without a liscence. What is your opinion?

ptlyon
05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Pretty lopsided poll, but I think they should cut their arms off so they couldn't drive again.

Goapics1
05-18-2005, 02:13 PM
My wife was just in a car accident. Thankfully she came out of it with a bruise. The bozo who rammed her (hard enough so knock my wife's car into the car in front of her, which in turn collided with the car in front of him) doesn't have insurance. No doubt he doesn't have the money to pay for the damage he caused. The judge might take away his liscence. Big deal he drives without insurance, I'm sure he will drive without a liscence. What is your opinion?

C'mon. Everybody should have insurance. Bare minimum they should have at least liability. I'd be pissed if I was you.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Nuthooks.

Hammock Parties
I totaled a shitty blue minivan once when some mexican without insurance blindsided my ass pulling out of a parking lot.

cdcox
Need to take their legs off at the hips, too. Othewise these clowns would be driving with their knees.

Bwana
90 day catch a clue time.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 02:15 PM
C'mon. Everybody should have insurance. Bare minimum they should have at least liability. I'd be pissed if I was you.

Oh, believe me, I'm pissed.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Why aren't the laws tougher against these, smucks? Is there a lobby or somehting that supports leniency for irresponsible drivers?

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 02:20 PM
The meatcicle whose drugmobile caught on fire next to my truck last month didn't have insurance.

My insurance will cover the damage, however if they are unable to recoup the damage, it'll count as a claim....and we all know what that means.

I'd be pissed if I were you.....I think you should put a lein on his (whatever they have of value) and take a dollar off of every paycheck for the rest of his life if you have to.

ptlyon
05-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Why aren't the laws tougher against these, smucks? Is there a lobby or somehting that supports leniency for irresponsible drivers?

IMO, and just MO it is,

Q. Who does not have insurance?

A. People who also do not have drivers licenses.

Q. Who doesn't have a drivers license?

A. Illegal immigrants.

As referenced in a previous thread by BD, the police can't really get into the political aspects of II's. And what if they do throw them in the slammer? We get to pay the taxes that feed them while they are in the hole.

JMO of course.

Flame away.

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 02:33 PM
It's been five years since an unemployed 20-year old living with his mother hit my wife's parked car (along with five or six others). The idiot won't have to pay a dime, I bet. Where's the incentive to play by the rules?

ptlyon
05-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Where's the incentive to play by the rules?

Easy fix. Make up your own rules.

Goapics1
05-18-2005, 02:35 PM
I would say this poll is pretty lopsided. 13-0 as I type this reply.

tyton75
05-18-2005, 03:00 PM
An armed society is a polite society!.. if you sideswipe my car and you dont' have insurance, I should legally be allowed to shoot you in the face

4th and Long
05-18-2005, 03:03 PM
In Missouri, they yank your license for a year. Your wife's insurance (uninsured motorist) should cover the damages, less the deductible. Her insurance company will go after the uninsured scumbag for restitution.

Simplex3
05-18-2005, 03:04 PM
An armed society is a polite society!.. if you sideswipe my car and you dont' have insurance, I should legally be allowed to shoot you in the face
Maybe just the genitals. Killing them is a bit over the top but stopping them from reproducing shouldn't be.

elvomito
05-18-2005, 03:08 PM
i got popped by a guy who produced proof of insurance for the cop, but when i called, they said it had lapsed.

in MO, there is a form you fill out and send to the DMV with your account of the wreck and police report, estimate, etc, and they investigate. If its deemed the uninsured motorist's fault, they immediately suspend his license without him knowing and make it impossible for him to register or renew any car without first paying you off and obtaining a notarized document stating that.

i was pretty happy when the chump called me out of the blue with $3,000 ready to pay me so he could get plates for his new car.

elvomito
05-18-2005, 03:10 PM
here's a link to the form
http://www.dor.state.mo.us/mvdl/drivers/forms/1140f.pdf

cdcox
05-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks, elvomito. Unforntuantely, I'm in Tennessee. I'll check to see if we have anything similar here. Looks like I will only be out the $250 deductable and the irreversible damage (they are never good as new). Unless they total it, then I'll get screwed, no doubt.

ck_IN
05-18-2005, 03:58 PM
That's a pet peeve of mine. My wife's car got smacked by a broad in a hurry to get to work. No insurance. Another broad claimed to a sheriffs deputy that I hit her truck with the side of her car. Again no insurance.

No coverage should be automatic pen time.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 04:22 PM
That's why they have no fault policies.

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Insurance is obviously just another attempt by the govt to keep the man down. Stop trying to take away this guys freedom to do what he wants, just to make the lobbyists of the insurance industry and corrupt polititicians more wealthy? :Poke:

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 04:29 PM
I would say this poll is pretty lopsided. 13-0 as I type this reply.
I didn't vote in it.

It is not just "eh", but I don't see a mandatory 90 day sentencing.

I would like the law changed (at least in Missouri) to force the non-covered driver to pay 100% of expenses of the accident if they are at fault - even if it means immediate garnishment - without having a second civil trial.

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 04:30 PM
You know you are complaining about the guy being uninsured, but shouldn't your wife and yourself have paid for the uninsured motorist option on your own policy? After all, that would seem the responsible thing to do.

I have liability and uninsured motorist on two of our vehicles. Full coverage on the third.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
You know you are complaining about the guy being uninsured, but shouldn't your wife and yourself have paid for the uninsured motorist option on your own policy? After all, that would seem the responsible thing to do.

I have liability and uninsured motorist on two of our vehicles. Full coverage on the third.

Yes, I have all of this.

Still I'm out $250 deductible, the car willl never be the same, and it will count as a claim on our policy. Or maybe they will total the car and I will be out several thousand dollars of equity. I get the privalage of paying several hundered dollars a year for this treatment. He damages 3 cars other than his own, never pays insurance, and will get off with a slap on the wrist.

There needs to be a penalty severe enough to make these dicks decide it isn't worth the risk of going without insurance. 90 days in jail should do it. If you can't afford insurance, you can't afford to drive.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I didn't vote in it.

It is not just "eh", but I don't see a mandatory 90 day sentencing.

I would like the law changed (at least in Missouri) to force the non-covered driver to pay 100% of expenses of the accident if they are at fault - even if it means immediate garnishment - without having a second civil trial.

Half these deadbeats don't have jobs to garnish. They are immune from financial penalty by virtue of their scumballness. Jail time might motivate them.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Insurance is obviously just another attempt by the govt to keep the man down. Stop trying to take away this guys freedom to do what he wants, just to make the lobbyists of the insurance industry and corrupt polititicians more wealthy? :Poke:

Denise, how did you get hold of the keyboard of doom?

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes, I have all of this.

Still I'm out $250 deductible, the car willl never be the same, and it will count as a claim on our policy. Or maybe they will total the car and I will be out several thousand dollars of equity. I get the privalage of paying several hundered dollars a year for this treatment. He damages 3 cars other than his own, never pays insurance, and will get off with a slap on the wrist.

There needs to be a penalty severe enough to make these dicks decide it isn't worth the risk of going without insurance. 90 days in jail should do it. If you can't afford insurance, you can't afford to drive.
And those who let it lapse for a day or two?

Or those who have the funds electronically removed from their accounts on the wrong day, causing not only an overdraft but no coverage as well?

Or perhaps he has coverage but it is not enough to cover all damages, should he be jailed then as well?

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Half these deadbeats don't have jobs to garnish. They are immune from financial penalty by virtue of their scumballness. Jail time might motivate them.
Incarcerate half of them. I agree 100%.

I would rather have my money back than someone I never met in jail to attempt to make me feel better.

Hydrae
05-18-2005, 05:20 PM
If the insurance companies didn't charge so damned much I would be more on board. Especially true for the young single male.

When I was younger (many, many moons ago) and I bought my first car, I was paying twice my car payment each month in insurance. It was a two year loan that needed a co-signer but I was paying the value of the car each year in insurance. You wonder why this stuff happens, there you go.

Putting offenders in jail will not solve the issue in any way shape or form. It will just cost the tax payers to support them, cost them their jobs and make it even more difficult for them to afford this govenment supported raid on our pocketbooks.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
That's why they have no fault policies.

Don't you guys have no fault in your state? Remember my truck got creamed in front of my house by a drunken driver with no insurance about a year ago. No problem I just had to get it fixed. Want an answer make sure your state has no fault policies.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 05:25 PM

Dude I live in Mexico, half the population here doesn't have insurance.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Don't you guys have no fault in your state? Remember my truck got creamed in front of my house by a drunken driver with no insurance about a year ago. No problem I just had to get it fixed. Want an answer make sure your state has no fault policies.

TN does not offer no fault insurance. Doesn't that penalize good drivers who rarely have accidents?

Rain Man
05-18-2005, 05:35 PM
TN does not offer no fault insurance. Doesn't that penalize good drivers who rarely have accidents?

Yes. One of my employees got rear-ended, and my workers compensation had to pay for it as his employer. The woman who hit him had no obligation to fix the damage or pay his medical bills.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Where are Bush's jack-booted thugs when you need them?

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Dude I live in Mexico, half the population here doesn't have insurance.
How nice of them to move Mexico right to your neighborhood.

chiefs4me
05-18-2005, 06:00 PM
90 days in jail sounds fine to me for the assholes that have no insurance...

Frazod
05-18-2005, 06:09 PM
None of the options is appropriate. If some uninsured piece of shit hits my car, their stuff should be sold off and/or wages garnished until every cent of damage/expenses are paid. THEN they should go to f#cking jail.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 06:15 PM
None of the options is appropriate. If some uninsured piece of shit hits my car, their stuff should be sold off and/or wages garnished until every cent of damage/expenses are paid. THEN they should go to f#cking jail.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Fezzic
05-18-2005, 06:22 PM
my wife just got hit by some uninsured crackhead bitch that drove straight into the wrong lane of traffic while my wife was PARKED at a red light, sitting there. She was turned around messing with something in her back seat and only looked up at the last minute, righteously f*cking up our new car (at the corner of main and moonlight in gardner....not exactly a tough intersection).

More than 7 grand in damage, and even though our car is fixed, it's worthless now as a previous wreck. Claim goes on our insurance, and will probably jack my rates even though it was totally her fault.

My 19 month old was in the car, and if something would have happened to my daughter, someone would have been messed up when I rolled in there. Take her license, take her car, take a couple of months of her time, and take anything she has of value to pay for the damage.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 06:31 PM
I've been driving since 1959 and have never used my liability insurance. I've wasted thousands and thousands of dollars.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 07:34 PM

I don't know let's check it out. First of all I am in California which already means I am paying premium. I have full coverage with a 1k deductible but I picked all the bells and whistles. That would include roadside service, towing and extra medical. I pay $420 for 6 months on a 97 Toyota pickup. What do you pay?

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
How nice of them to move Mexico right to your neighborhood.

That's what I was thiking.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 07:37 PM
90 days in jail sounds fine to me for the assholes that have no insurance...

Then you pay in the form of icreased taxes on a state level. As much joy as you might get out of watching him go to jail for 90 days it's still not the answer.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't know let's check it out. First of all I am in California which already means I am paying premium. I have full coverage with a 1k deductible but I picked all the bells and whistles. That would include roadside service, towing and extra medical. I pay $420 for 6 months on a 97 Toyota pickup. What do you pay?

About $50 less for a 2003 Altima, $250 deductible, 250K/500K bodily injury, 100K property, for liability and same on unisured motor vehichle. I don't have a guaranteed loaner, but do have towing and extra medical.

So my vehicle has higher collision risk, I have a lower deductible, and lower premiums. OTH, you are in a premium $ area, but how much of that is due to extra cost due to being a no fault state? It is really difficult to make comparisons.

PastorMikH
05-18-2005, 08:49 PM
I've been driving since 1959 and have never used my liability insurance. I've wasted thousands and thousands of dollars.

Yeah and you old geezers don't need it either with the way you drive 15 mph down the interstate. If someone hits you, it will be their insurance that pays not yours.

:)

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Yeah and you old geezers don't need it either with the way you drive 15 mph down the interstate. If someone hits you, it will be their insurance that pays not yours.

:)
Now you're catching on. I go out every day looking for unsuspecting suckers to hit me. It's surprisingly easy. I haven't bagged a pastor yet though dammit.

KCWolfman
05-18-2005, 09:49 PM
If the insurance companies didn't charge so damned much I would be more on board. Especially true for the young single male.

When I was younger (many, many moons ago) and I bought my first car, I was paying twice my car payment each month in insurance. It was a two year loan that needed a co-signer but I was paying the value of the car each year in insurance. You wonder why this stuff happens, there you go.

Putting offenders in jail will not solve the issue in any way shape or form. It will just cost the tax payers to support them, cost them their jobs and make it even more difficult for them to afford this govenment supported raid on our pocketbooks.
There it is!

Since auto insurance has become mandatory, the auto insurance industry has skyrocketed the price of premiums. If you are going to make it a law to have coverage, you should regulate the amount of premiums being charged.

A smart nation would simply remove the mandatory coverage and simply add a tax to the gasoline you purchase to provide insurance coverage. That way anyone driving would automatically be covered.

trndobrd
05-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks, elvomito. Unforntuantely, I'm in Tennessee. I'll check to see if we have anything similar here. Looks like I will only be out the $250 deductable and the irreversible damage (they are never good as new). Unless they total it, then I'll get screwed, no doubt.

In Kansas we give 6 months jail time for driving w/o insurance along with a fine. It's usually suspended on the first offense and the DA will drop the fine if the defendant brings in proof of 90 days of insurance, encouraging the offender to get insurance on the vehicle.

Second time the fine is $2500 fine, and 12 months in jail. Defendant usually serves 10 days and is on reporting probation for the balance. License is suspended and driving while suspended is a violation of the probation.

Sparhawk
05-18-2005, 10:54 PM
I kind of agree with Hydra. For folks who survive on minimum wage, it's incredibly hard to pay for insurance.What's more important, feeding your family, or paying for car insurance? Most of us thankfully don't have to make that sort of choice, but honestly do you think a bigger court fine or going to jail will help stop the number of uninsured drivers? I sure don't! That sort of thing just makes the situation that much worse! Insurance premiums need to be regulated better, so the working man can better afford them. I'm not so certain the government is capable of doing it and not mucking it up worse than what it already is.

I hate to see someone in an accident with an uninsured motorist. There just is no way to win with the way things are now!

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 10:58 PM
About $50 less for a 2003 Altima, $250 deductible, 250K/500K bodily injury, 100K property, for liability and same on unisured motor vehichle. I don't have a guaranteed loaner, but do have towing and extra medical.

So my vehicle has higher collision risk, I have a lower deductible, and lower premiums. OTH, you are in a premium $ area, but how much of that is due to extra cost due to being a no fault state? It is really difficult to make comparisons.

Interesting comparison. Even if it is a little more it is worth it IMO. My situation is different though we have a ton of illegals out here.

BIG_DADDY
05-18-2005, 10:59 PM
I kind of agree with Hydra. For folks who survive on minimum wage, it's incredibly hard to pay for insurance.What's more important, feeding your family, or paying for car insurance? Most of us thankfully don't have to make that sort of choice, but honestly do you think a bigger court fine or going to jail will help stop the number of uninsured drivers? I sure don't! That sort of thing just makes the situation that much worse! Insurance premiums need to be regulated better, so the working man can better afford them. I'm not so certain the government is capable of doing it and not mucking it up worse than what it already is.

I hate to see someone in an accident with an uninsured motorist. There just is no way to win with the way things are now!

Sometimes I wonder if some people read the thread at all or just post based on the topic.

cdcox
06-10-2005, 02:12 PM
Just got the car out of the shop today (look at date on thread starter). The body shop charged the insurance company over $6000 in damage. The creep's comment to my wife after the accident was, "Your car wasn't damaged at all!"

ROYC75
06-10-2005, 03:03 PM
I was leaving the 37 events 2 years agao in KC, some clown sideswiped me inside the sports complex and he had no insurance. To make matters worst, he was borrowing his buddy's car that had no insurance.

Neither had to pay a dime to me or my insurance company cause neither had a damn dime to there name.

I was out the deductible, $ 1000.00 smackers on a $ 2800.00 bill.

Demonpenz
06-10-2005, 10:48 PM
The worst is when your rear ended and because your company had to pay money your rates can go up. I ****ing hate looking for uninsured motorist bullshit. I am not going to go into an adjusters rant tonight, but that seriously sucks when people have to pay any of their deductible because the other guy wasn't at fault. I am thinking about posting some information that you really need when you get in an auto accident.