PDA

View Full Version : Q&A w/Dick Vermeil OTA #2

TRR
05-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Q: How do you feel now that Priest Holmes is back?

VERMEIL: “It was his first day back and he is big and strong. He has been weight training an awful lot. Now he is working on cardiovascular and getting into football shape, but itver was real fun to have him back.”

Q: It looked like he had an extra burst. Did you think so?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know. I didn’t see it very often; he didn’t touch the ball too many times. But anyway, it’s a start, a good start.”

Q: Do you think this year’s defense might be too fast at times?

VERMEIL: “I don’t think a defense can ever be too fast. Speed is speed. I don’t think there is a time during the season where you can just turn (speed) off and on. You might not work as hard which in turn you won’t run as fast. Our defense, right now, is a faster group of athletes overall. It’s real impressive.”

Q: Is there any need to intensify or pick up the pace of things that you do in preseason or training camp?

VERMEIL: “Right now we are not thinking about that. Later on we will be thinking about that. Training camp we will be thinking about that. It all takes in to account your first few opponents. We have to start fast. For some reason they don’t give Lamar (Hunt) a break. Nobody else in the league is assigned to do what we are assigned to do in the first four games (in terms of playing three playoff teams from 2004).”

Q: What happened with WR Dante Hall out there today?

VERMEIL: “He just banged knees with LB Keyaron Fox. I think he will be alright.”

Q: have you been impressed with DE Carlos Hall? He has had a lot of batted balls lately.

VERMEIL: “Yeah he is impressive. He really is. I think he is going to be a big time contributor to the improvement of our defense.”

Q: Did you move William Bartee to safety and is that permanent?

VERMEIL: “Yes we did move him. He made an interception today. Right now we will say it’s permanent if everything goes right with the cornerback position. He made a few nice plays today.”

Q: Do you have a health update on LB Mike Maslowski, LB Scott Fujita, and WR Marc Boerigter?

VERMEIL: “They are all progressing nicely. Maslowski really could practice, but it’s just better that he doesn’t from a medical standpoint. Fujita is not ready to practice. Boerigter is ready to practice, but he needs a medical release to practice and we will always been on the conservative side this time of year.”

Q: What about LB Shawn Barber?

VERMEIL: “Shawn has a ways to go, but he is ahead of schedule.”

Q: Are you concerned that S Jerome Woods is not here?

VERMEIL: “It always bothers me when a player isn’t at camp.”

Q: Especially in light of the competition he is facing with the new players at his position?

VERMEIL: “Jerome Woods is an outstanding young man and has not been any problem in this program at all. I was told he has some personal problems and I just think that the timing of his personal problems is just bad. He ought to be here.”

Q: Do you expect him here?

VERMEIL: “Yes, I expect him here tomorrow.”

teedubya
05-18-2005, 03:29 PM
good to hear.

FloridaChief
05-18-2005, 03:30 PM
VERMEIL: “Jerome Woods is an outstanding young man and has not been any problem in this program at all. I was told he has some personal problems and I just think that the timing of his personal problems is just bad. He ought to be here.”

Q: Do you expect him here?

VERMEIL: “Yes, I expect him here tomorrow.”

Hmmm....

Spicy McHaggis
05-18-2005, 03:34 PM
VERMEIL: “Right now we are not thinking about that. Later on we will be thinking about that. Training camp we will be thinking about that. It all takes in to account your first few opponents. We have to start fast. For some reason they don’t give Lamar (Hunt) a break. Nobody else in the league is assigned to do what we are assigned to do in the first four games (in terms of playing three playoff teams from 2004).”

Dammit Dick, I swear. I'm going to start a tally with this. I bet he breaks 30 before the season.

TRR
05-18-2005, 03:38 PM
The Woods situation is getting weirder by the minute.

tk13
05-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Dammit Dick, I swear. I'm going to start a tally with this. I bet he breaks 30 before the season.
I like that he plays the no respect card. I didn't realize we were the only team in that particular situation having to play 3 playoff teams. We can't come out at the beginning of the season with our thumbs in our ass again. I hope he says it every day, because he's absolutely right, all these moves from this offseason won't mean squat if we're 0-4 right off the bat, and that's a distinct possibility.

UKMike
05-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Q: It looked like he had an extra burst.

:drool:

KCFalcon59
05-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Q: Did you move William Bartee to safety and is that permanent?

VERMEIL: “Yes we did move him. He made an interception today.”

Wow. That's a shocker.

suds79
05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Wow. That's a shocker.

I know he's never had one in a game... I wonder if that's his 1st ever in practice?

Wouldn't surprise me.

I like to move to Safety. Might as well try something because he's so bad at CB. William can hit though.

RealSNR
05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
I know he's never had one in a game... I wonder if that's his 1st ever in practice?

Wouldn't surprise me.

I like to move to Safety. Might as well try something because he's so bad at CB. William can hit though.I saw him make one during a traning camp scrimmage one year

shaneo69
05-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Q: "Do you think this year’s defense might be too fast at times?"

I wonder which genious asked this question.

Q: "Do you have a health update on LB Mike Maslowski, LB Scott Fujita, and WR Marc Boerigter?"

Yeah, like their status has changed in the last freakin' day, moron.

cdcox
05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Proof that one of the interviewers reads the Planet:

Q: It looked like he had an extra burst. Did you think so?

Proof that DV reads the Planet:

VERMEIL: “He made an interception today."

C-Mac
05-18-2005, 10:55 PM
I like that he plays the no respect card. I didn't realize we were the only team in that particular situation having to play 3 playoff teams. We can't come out at the beginning of the season with our thumbs in our ass again. I hope he says it every day, because he's absolutely right, all these moves from this offseason won't mean squat if we're 0-4 right off the bat, and that's a distinct possibility.

It was the same last year, 3 out of 4 first games were playoff teams:

-Panther NFC defenders
-Ravens
-Donko's

In fact 5 of the first 7 games were playoff teams......big deal!

tk13
05-18-2005, 11:01 PM
It was the same last year, 3 out of 4 first games were playoff teams:

-Panther NFC defenders
-Ravens
-Donko's

In fact 5 of the first 7 games were playoff teams......big deal!
It's a big deal if we come out with our thumbs up our ass again, it'll end our season before it ever starts.

C-Mac
05-18-2005, 11:04 PM
It's a big deal if we come out with our thumbs up our ass again, it'll end our season before it ever starts.

All I was saying is that its not that uncommon of a schedule, but yes you are correct.

tk13
05-18-2005, 11:07 PM
All I was saying is that its not that uncommon of a schedule, but yes you are correct.
Vermeil said we were the only team in the league to have to do that this year... I don't know if that's correct or not, but we all know how him and Parcells go off on all those stats, I'd imagine he's right. I don't know...

PastorMikH
05-18-2005, 11:58 PM
VERMEIL: “Yes we did move him. He made an interception today.

Just to prove to everyone that it actually happened, here's a pic of Bartee heading back to huddle after his INT...

go bo
05-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Just to prove to everyone that it actually happened, here's a pic of Bartee heading back to huddle after his INT...ROFL ROFL ROFL

KChiefs1
05-19-2005, 07:06 AM
Q: "Do you think this year’s defense might be too fast at times?"

Any guess on which reporter asked this question? :hmmm:

InChiefsHeaven
05-19-2005, 07:55 AM

Gotta be Gretz.

shaneo69
05-19-2005, 09:19 AM

I didn't take it as him playing the no respect card. I took it as being more of DV's usual whining about the schedule.

Last year, after all the whining they did about the injustice of having to go to Denver opening weekend and play on Sunday Night Football, you knew they were giving the players an excuse to lose that first game.

And now he's setting us up for more of the same BS excuses this year.

Rain Man
05-19-2005, 10:42 AM

Yeah, what's the story with that? Unless there's some good reason, it seemed like a bonehead question.

I must say, it does remind of something I read once that said that a modern jet would have a lot of trouble taking out a WWI biplane, because the biplane travels below the stall speed of the jet, has a much smaller turn radius due to its much lower speed, doesn't produce much heat for missiles, and (I'm not sure about this) doesn't have a good radar signature for missiles. Maybe Gretz was concerned that this would be a similar issue with Chiefs defenders and Maurice Clarett.

cdcox
05-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Maybe Gretz was concerned that this would be a similar issue with Chiefs defenders and Maurice Clarett.

Why do you think we are keeping Maz on the roster?