PDA

View Full Version : Troy Brown

bricks
05-20-2005, 09:23 AM
would anybody want him? he's still available...We release Morton come June 1st, we may have the money to sign a guy like Brown. I would imagine he'd play for the vet minimum, maybe a little more. Would be a nice upgrade over Morton don't you think?

eazyb81
05-20-2005, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't be against signing him. He is a team player and has experience with winning teams. He could be a good veteran leader for this offense and still has sure hands. He is a much better option then Jerry Rice or Freddie Mitchell.

cadmonkey
05-20-2005, 09:27 AM
He is a great team player, you would love him if you get him.

ModSocks
05-20-2005, 09:32 AM
And he can play corner also right? hrmmmm

Edubs
05-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Troy is the man......and he is good guy to. A great guy to have in the locker room.

Amnorix
05-20-2005, 09:51 AM
I think Troy would be an excellent fit for a team like the Chiefs, who are trying to take the proverbial "next step". Between his workout regimen (impressive), leadership, experience, background in a winning program, dedication, and willingess to sacrifice for the team, he would be a terrific role model and presence on the squad.

My only concern is that he's an addition to the offense, which hasn't exactly been the side of the ball that has needed veteran leadership or whatever. But still, I think he'd be a pretty decent fit.

You'll love his pass-catching ability. Rare to see him drop a ball. I still remember one catch he made while literally lying flat on his back (he had slipped in trying to adjust to the throw, fell, and reached up and grabbed the damn thing).

eazyb81
05-20-2005, 09:57 AM
The more I think about it, Brown seems like the perfect fit for our team. Has Carl said anything about being interested in him? I bet he would probably come cheap and I haven't heard much interest in him from other teams.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 10:04 AM
I'd rather see Denver sign Brown for whatever money they're thinking of giving Rice.

bricks
05-20-2005, 10:06 AM
The more I think about it, Brown seems like the perfect fit for our team. Has Carl said anything about being interested in him? I bet he would probably come cheap and I haven't heard much interest in him from other teams.

No he hasn't. This is something I thought of. Carl did mention something in the range, that, "we are going to take a look at a few veteran come June 1st".
Supposively veterans that will play here for the veteran minimum.

*I'm very very suprised nobody signed Troy Brown.

Hoover
05-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I think Troy would be an excellent fit for a team like the Chiefs, who are trying to take the proverbial "next step". Between his workout regimen (impressive), leadership, experience, background in a winning program, dedication, and willingess to sacrifice for the team, he would be a terrific role model and presence on the squad.

My only concern is that he's an addition to the offense, which hasn't exactly been the side of the ball that has needed veteran leadership or whatever. But still, I think he'd be a pretty decent fit.

You'll love his pass-catching ability. Rare to see him drop a ball. I still remember one catch he made while literally lying flat on his back (he had slipped in trying to adjust to the throw, fell, and reached up and grabbed the damn thing).
How many more changes can a team make on Defense?

Surtain = Vet Leadership
Bell = Young Playmaker
Hall = Role Player
Knight = Ball Hawk

We can't make 11 Changes on one side of the ball. Christ you are like ESPN

TRR
05-20-2005, 10:12 AM
I almost posted this same thread last night. I think Troy Brown would be an excellent fit. It was only 2 or 3 seasons ago that he put up 1,200 yards receiving. I have no doubt in my mind that Brown could put up 800+ in this offense.

The only thing I don't like is his age. We would be dumping Morton, and getting an even older Troy Brown.

bricks
05-20-2005, 10:12 AM

Agreed with everything you mentioned there Amnorix. Brown's got great hands, the rest of our WR corps have so-so hands. Plus, he's a veteran with good leadership. we have 2 young guys on our WR corps. That is, Sammie Parker and Craphonso Thorpe. Brown could help those guys significantly.

bricks
05-20-2005, 10:14 AM
I almost posted this same thread last night. I think Troy Brown would be an excellent fit. It was only 2 or 3 seasons ago that he put up 1,200 yards receiving. I have no doubt in my mind that Brown could put up 800+ in this offense.

The only thing I don't like is his age. We would be dumping Morton, and getting an even older Troy Brown.

How old is troy brown?

ct
I've stated my thoughts on him before. Absolutely I'm in favor, but preferrably brought in as intended #3 behind Parker. He's a nice vet insurance policy in case Sammie isn't ready.

PhogPhanTim
If we cannot get Peter Warrick (he may not even be released) I would love to have Troy Brown.

ct
05-20-2005, 10:16 AM
How old is troy brown?

He'll be 34 by the time TC opens.

Rain Man
05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Can he play corner?

Oh, wait. He can.

I think he'd be a very good addition.

TRR
05-20-2005, 10:42 AM
A little Peter Warrick news...

The Bengals website says that Peter Warrick has been working out with the Bengals, and is excited to get back to work. However, Warrick isn't cleared to play yet. He is still hampered by the injury from last season.

Right now it sounds like Warrick is in the Bengals plans.

The WR that is on the bubble (according to fans) is Kelley Washington out of Tennessee.

Amnorix
05-20-2005, 10:52 AM
From Bill Belichick's speech before the Big Brother's Association last night:

The most moving part of Belichick's speech may have related to receiver Troy Brown [news], who was released from the Pats in February and remains a free agent.

``Leadership is about one word on the Patriots,'' said Belichick. ``One word: attitude. . . . I haven't been around a better leader in 30 years in the NFL than Troy Brown. And he would never stand up in front of the team and give a speech. It's just not what he does. But he always comes in prepared and ready to help the team. Whatever I ask him to do, he does. Play defensive back. Return punts. Whatever. He'll do it for the good of the team, and that's a great leader.

``It can be a team of two or a team of 100, leadership is leadership.''

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 10:54 AM
From Bill Belichick's speech before the Big Brother's Association last night:

The most moving part of Belichick's speech may have related to receiver Troy Brown [news], who was released from the Pats in February and remains a free agent.

``Leadership is about one word on the Patriots,'' said Belichick. ``One word: attitude. . . . I haven't been around a better leader in 30 years in the NFL than Troy Brown. And he would never stand up in front of the team and give a speech. It's just not what he does. But he always comes in prepared and ready to help the team. Whatever I ask him to do, he does. Play defensive back. Return punts. Whatever. He'll do it for the good of the team, and that's a great leader.

``It can be a team of two or a team of 100, leadership is leadership.''

Did he end it with "...and while Troy defines all of these attributes, we dropped his ass uncerimoniously... it's part of the business."

ct
05-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Did he end it with "...and while Troy defines all of these attributes, we dropped his ass uncerimoniously... it's part of the business."

ROFL

StcChief
05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Troy Brown would be a great addition.

Why wait. Get him Carl.

BigChiefFan
05-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Brown is a team player, but signing him only further slows the development of guys like Thorpe and Parker. Brown is a good, not great player.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 12:23 PM
I don't know that Brown would necessarily hold back younger players, as he has easily accepted his role compared to a guy like Rice.

I think he will land with a contender and provide great mentoring and performance when called upon to do so.

TRR
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Brown is a team player, but signing him only further slows the development of guys like Thorpe and Parker. Brown is a good, not great player.

I have no problem slowing down the development of 1. A mid round draft pick who played four games total last season, and never had a 100 yard game. And 2. A late round pick who looked horrible in his Senior season, and hasn't looked good in OTA's.

Especially if that player is a quality leader/playmaker like Troy Brown.

I like Samie Parker a lot, but we need some WR insurance.

buddha
05-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Troy Brown would be a great addition to any team. And unlike Rice, Brown still has plenty left in the tank.

eazyb81
05-20-2005, 01:07 PM
I think there is a pretty good chance that Troy will end up back with the Patriots. He will probably only get the vet minimum, but I have seen reports that he would like to go back there to end his career. The real question is whether they have room for him or not.

Amnorix
05-20-2005, 01:09 PM

:)

Didn't have to. With a $5M cap number, every Patriots fan who understands the cap knew this was coming.

The fact is, cutting Law and Brown saved a combined $14M on the cap. What would you do?

Wile_E_Coyote
05-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Green to Brown, could work

Amnorix
05-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I think there is a pretty good chance that Troy will end up back with the Patriots. He will probably only get the vet minimum, but I have seen reports that he would like to go back there to end his career. The real question is whether they have room for him or not.

Correct. The issue is that Tim Dwight, who we signed in FA from the Chargers, does everything Troy used to do (except CB) and does it cheaper, younger and faster.

There's just no argument that Brown lost a bit of his quickness last year. We were horrible at returning punts, and it looked like Troy just didn't have as much shake and bake as before.

Love to have him back if we can, though. A huge fan favorite.

TRR
05-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I think KC will sign a vet WR after June 1st. But with only a couple of weeks left till then, I think Peterson and Vermeil want to see what hits the open market.

Right now the options appear to be Troy Brown, Freddie Mitchell, Az Hakim, and Jerry Rice (Denver?). Hopefully a couple of vets are added to that list after June 1st.

TRR
05-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Correct. The issue is that Tim Dwight, who we signed in FA from the Chargers, does everything Troy used to do (except CB) and does it cheaper, younger and faster.

There's just no argument that Brown lost a bit of his quickness last year. We were horrible at returning punts, and it looked like Troy just didn't have as much shake and bake as before.

Love to have him back if we can, though. A huge fan favorite.

Tim Dwight has been one of the bigger disappointments in Charger history. The Chargers franchise said they would have never done the Vick for Tomlinson deal if Dwight wasn't included. Dwight never could grab hold of a WR spot, has lost some speed, and has had big injury problems.

I was a big fan of Dwight in College...My brother played against him in High School when he went to Iowa City High. But his little stature never translated well to the NFL game. Not with how wreckless he plays. Dwight was an unbelievable high school running back.

TRR
05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
I found this interesting comparing Troy Brown to Johnnie Morton...

From the 2000 season until now, Troy Brown has put up 3,689 yards receiving, and 17 TD's. Morton has put up 3,874 yards and 15 TD's. Very similiar numbers.

bricks
05-20-2005, 02:01 PM

From the 2000 season until now, Troy Brown has put up 3,689 yards receiving, and 17 TD's. Morton has put up 3,874 yards and 15 TD's. Very similiar numbers.

Yeah..but c'mon we all know Troy Brown is a much better player. Not only player, but, person as well. I'll take him anyday over that piece of sh*t Johnnie Morton.

bricks
05-20-2005, 02:02 PM
I have no problem slowing down the development of 1. A mid round draft pick who played four games total last season, and never had a 100 yard game. And 2. A late round pick who looked horrible in his Senior season, and hasn't looked good in OTA's.

Especially if that player is a quality leader/playmaker like Troy Brown.

I like Samie Parker a lot, but we need some WR insurance.

I agree...rep
:thumb:

KChiefs1
05-20-2005, 02:04 PM
He'd actually fill two of the Chiefs needs(WR & CB)

TRR
05-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah..but c'mon we all know Troy Brown is a much better player. Not only player, but, person as well. I'll take him anyday over that piece of sh*t Johnnie Morton.

Rep back at you. The reason I posted that was because not a lot of people realize that Brown has put up about the same numbers as Morton has over the last 5 seasons.

Wallcrawler
05-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Rep back at you. The reason I posted that was because not a lot of people realize that Brown has put up about the same numbers as Morton has over the last 5 seasons.

Troy Brown also played defense most of last season. Kinda hard to slight a guy for not producing on offense, when he was playing defense.

That aside however, if Troy Brown is so great, why did the Patriots not keep him?

Whatever happens, the Chiefs are pretty much going to be replacing Johnnie Morton with someone of about the same caliber, unless they want to drop some serious cash, which they dont have.

If Troy Brown can be a possession receiver and catch the football, then he is already better than Morton. Morton has feigned injury to miss games and practices, he drops easy passes, and quits on plays over the middle. Throw in the fact that he's a first class overpaid asshole, and you pretty much have every reason to replace him with someone, anyone else.

KCChiefsMan
05-20-2005, 04:55 PM
How many more changes can a team make on Defense?

Surtain = Vet Leadership
Bell = Young Playmaker
Hall = Role Player
Knight = Ball Hawk

We can't make 11 Changes on one side of the ball. Christ you are like ESPN

when you've had the worst defense in the past 3 years you can

Rausch
05-20-2005, 05:03 PM
when you've had the worst defense in the past 3 years you can

There is no doubt in my mind we now have the talent to be a top 15 defense, the only question is if Gun can get them all on the same page and clicking in time to make the playoffs/win the division.

And Morton is just ****ing terrible. He reminds me of Willie Davis: can do two front flips, leap over a guy, and catch the ball, but if it hits him right in the hands when he's wide open he drops it...

We don't need a true no 1 WR, we need a guy with HANDS who can catch everything thrown his way.

TRR
05-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Troy Brown also played defense most of last season. Kinda hard to slight a guy for not producing on offense, when he was playing defense.

That aside however, if Troy Brown is so great, why did the Patriots not keep him?

Whatever happens, the Chiefs are pretty much going to be replacing Johnnie Morton with someone of about the same caliber, unless they want to drop some serious cash, which they dont have.

If Troy Brown can be a possession receiver and catch the football, then he is already better than Morton. Morton has feigned injury to miss games and practices, he drops easy passes, and quits on plays over the middle. Throw in the fact that he's a first class overpaid asshole, and you pretty much have every reason to replace him with someone, anyone else.

Brown was released because of money according to Amnorix.

Also, Brown brings a winning attitude and leadership to KC's locker room. I'm not sure what Morton brings.

tk13
05-20-2005, 05:21 PM
I think he'd be a great addition. He wouldn't even have to start, he could just be another WR we can throw out there. He can catch the ball, he's not going to complain about PT. I wouldn't have any problem with it.

TEX
05-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Brown was released because of money according to Amnorix.

Also, Brown brings a winning attitude and leadership to KC's locker room. I'm not sure what Morton brings.

Plenty of lustful hugs and kisses perhaps? :hmmm:

TRR
05-20-2005, 05:36 PM
I think he'd be a great addition. He wouldn't even have to start, he could just be another WR we can throw out there. He can catch the ball, he's not going to complain about PT. I wouldn't have any problem with it.

Brown wouldn't have to start, but I would be rooting for him to. I like Samie Parker and his potential, but I think Parker would benefit from another year as the 3rd or 4th WR. Brown could step in and give us a very reliable #2 WR.

ct
05-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Don't overlook the fact he barely played WR last year. Don't have the numbers, but I bet he played more defensive snaps than offensive.

TRR
05-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Don't overlook the fact he barely played WR last year. Don't have the numbers, but I bet he played more defensive snaps than offensive.

I agree. And again, I was comparing the two stats mainly to show people that Morton and Brown have been close in numbers for the last 5 years. The only season that Morton stood out over Brown was last season in which Brown was asked to do all kinds of things.

I am officially on the Troy Brown bandwagon. Brown has put up similiar yards, more TD's, is a better team player, and is only 4 months older than Johnnie Morton.

Sign Brown!!!

bricks
05-20-2005, 06:07 PM

Agreed. He doesn't even have to start. We get him, you have Kennison, Parker, Brown, Boerighter. That's a solid 1,2,3,4 WR corps. I want Brown because of his attitude more than anything else. In addition, I think he fits the profile of our team. I on the Troy Brown bandwagon.

TEX
05-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I agree. And again, I was comparing the two stats mainly to show people that Morton and Brown have been close in numbers for the last 5 years. The only season that Morton stood out over Brown was last season in which Brown was asked to do all kinds of things.

I am officially on the Troy Brown bandwagon. Brown has put up similiar yards, more TD's, is a better team player, and is only 4 months older than Johnnie Morton.

Sign Brown!!!

Has there been any talks coming from the CHIEFS about obtaining Brown, or is this just wishful thinking on our part?

bricks
05-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Has there been any talks coming from the CHIEFS about obtaining Brown, or is this just wishful thinking on our part?

It's wishful thinking. I was the one who brought this whole thing up. I think we should all E-mail Peterson once again. Then maybe he'll sign him? that tactic seemed to work with Surtain. we can save a lot of bandwidth.

TRR
05-20-2005, 06:34 PM

Completely wishful thinking. But, I think KC will bring in one vet WR after June 1st. Troy Brown has been on the market for months, and I haven't heard of him visiting a single team. Like I said earlier, I think KC is wanting to see what is out there after June 1st. A guy like Peter Warrick could be sitting there.

All this hinges on the release of Johnnie Morton...

whoman69
05-20-2005, 09:29 PM
This team needs to get younger on offense, not older. Our offense was the oldest in the league the last two years. We have Parker, Boe, Hall, Smith, Horn, Thorpe, Curry and McIntyre all younger players waiting for an opportunity.

whoman69
05-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Completely wishful thinking. But, I think KC will bring in one vet WR after June 1st. Troy Brown has been on the market for months, and I haven't heard of him visiting a single team. Like I said earlier, I think KC is wanting to see what is out there after June 1st. A guy like Peter Warrick could be sitting there.

All this hinges on the release of Johnnie Morton...
Morton frees up cap space so that we can sign rookies.

Valiant
05-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Yeah but if you drew a penis on the football he would never do it...

TRR
05-20-2005, 11:28 PM
Morton frees up cap space so that we can sign rookies.

If Morton is released, I believe KC brings in another veteran WR. If he isn't released, we won't bring in anybody. KC already has the money to sign their rookies.

whoman69
05-21-2005, 02:46 PM
If Morton is released, I believe KC brings in another veteran WR. If he isn't released, we won't bring in anybody. KC already has the money to sign their rookies.
Last I saw, they had just over a million in cap room. That's not enough. You need about $3 million for rookies.

|Zach|
05-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Troy Brown is very smart a great professional. I would like to have him as a Chiefs but I don't see it panning out like that,

TRR
05-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Last I saw, they had just over a million in cap room. That's not enough. You need about $3 million for rookies.

I believe the rookie money has already been budgeted into the salary cap. At any rate, we drop Morton and Woods...KC will easily have enough to sign rookies and vets if they want.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-21-2005, 07:40 PM
<A name=229807>Patriots | Brown Will be Back - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 17:41:43 -0700ESPN.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/9)'s Len Pasquarelli (http://www.kffl.com/link/17) reports the New England Patriots (http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl) have reached an agreement on a one-year contract with free agent WR Troy Brown (http://www.kffl.com/player/1198/nfl) (Patriots). Financial details were not immediately available but the contract, which will be officially signed next week, is believed to be worth more than the league minimum.

eazyb81
05-21-2005, 08:02 PM
<A name=229807>Patriots | Brown Will be Back - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.KFFL.com)
Sat, 21 May 2005 17:41:43 -0700ESPN.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/9)'s Len Pasquarelli (http://www.kffl.com/link/17) reports the New England Patriots (http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl) have reached an agreement on a one-year contract with free agent WR Troy Brown (http://www.kffl.com/player/1198/nfl) (Patriots). Financial details were not immediately available but the contract, which will be officially signed next week, is believed to be worth more than the league minimum.

well, that was a nice dream while it lasted.

TRR
05-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Figured that was a big possibility.