PDA

View Full Version : Winslow--Paying the price

1adam1238
05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Browns | Police and Courts: Winslow Jr. - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 10:07:29 -0700

The Associated Press reports Cleveland Browns TE Kellen Winslow Jr. will be charged with disregarding safety in connection with his motorcycle accident. Police will issue a citation Friday afternoon, May 20, Lt. Ray Arcuri said. The charge carries a maximum fine of $150 with no jail time.

You think they will add on that signing bonus too?

Goapics1
05-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Browns | Police and Courts: Winslow Jr. - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 20 May 2005 10:07:29 -0700

The Associated Press reports Cleveland Browns TE Kellen Winslow Jr. will be charged with disregarding safety in connection with his motorcycle accident. Police will issue a citation Friday afternoon, May 20, Lt. Ray Arcuri said. The charge carries a maximum fine of $150 with no jail time.

You think they will add on that signing bonus too?

Also, he has that hospital bill for staying 10 days. Wonder what his deductible is. $500 and then 80-20? Hope so. Maybe we should take up a collection for the poor guy or hold a charity bowling tournament. Randy Moss I am sure would show up.

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I think Wislow is an idiot but ticketing him at this point for disregarding safty is a joke. You gotta be a real asshole to do that.

Phobia
05-20-2005, 11:55 AM
I think Wislow is an idiot but ticketing him at this point for disregarding safty is a joke. You gotta be a real asshole to do that.

Ditto. I agree with that, I think his loss of salary/bonus and his health is a much stronger deterrent. But where do you draw the line? Do you not charge somebody with DUI if they wreck their car, cause tons of property damage, and break their back? I think it's an assholish thing to do, but I wonder where the line is. Permanent injury = no charges? I dunno.

StcChief
05-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Police have to get a piece of everything.

Goapics1
05-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Police have to get a piece of everything.

Metrolike would agree with you on that.

1adam1238
Without getting into the politics of why the police gave him the ticket........couldn't happen to anyone better!!!!!!

Fire Me Boy!
Depends... did the ticketing officer apologize for writing the ticket?

I got in a very serious accident one time (flipped my car end over end and rolled once after that)... long story, but everybody pretty much agreed the only thing I did wrong was pass at an intersection (a non-marked rural road, actually). Anyway, wet roads -- I was NOT speeding -- shit happens.

At the friggin hospital, asshat Missouri Highway Patrolman comes up to me on the guerney and says, "I'm sorry, but I need to write you a ticket for passing within 100 feet of an intersection."

If you feel sorry for writing the ticket, you shouldn't write it. Chickenshit ticket if there ever was one.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Geez, everyone bags on the cops until you need one. It's definitely a thankless job.

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Ditto. I agree with that, I think his loss of salary/bonus and his health is a much stronger deterrent. But where do you draw the line? Do you not charge somebody with DUI if they wreck their car, cause tons of property damage, and break their back? I think it's an assholish thing to do, but I wonder where the line is. Permanent injury = no charges? I dunno.

He was in a parking lot for god's sake. IT must have been government owned. I think you draw the line when something like that happens at personal safety. If he was risking hurting others I would say go ahead and write him up but the way it looked the only person at risk was himself.

On a side note it is click it or ticket time here in California for the next couple weeks or month, I forget. The TV is telling you about it and cops are freakin everywhere. I have never seen so many cops in my entire life.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
At the friggin hospital, asshat Missouri Highway Patrolman comes up to me on the guerney and says, "I'm sorry, but I need to write you a ticket for passing within 100 feet of an intersection."

If you feel sorry for writing the ticket, you shouldn't write it. Chickenshit ticket if there ever was one.

Well, did you break the law? Whether the guy had compassion for your situation or not, you were due for a ticket from the way it sounds. Sure, he could have given you a break... but, then we bag on cops when he hear they give others a break.

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Geez, everyone bags on the cops until you need one. It's definitely a thankless job.

Particularly in Denver. I would quit before I would go into people's house and killed their innocent dog. If the cops took my dog I would probably hate them forever. Denver's one ****ed up place.

Fire Me Boy!
05-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, did you break the law? Whether the guy had compassion for your situation or not, you were due for a ticket from the way it sounds. Sure, he could have given you a break... but, then we bag on cops when he hear they give others a break.
No, he was apologizing for issuing the ticket, not for the situation. Compassion for the situation played no part. I can honestly say I wouldn't have been pissed about it as much if he hadn't apologized for it. The cop himself knew it was chickenshit. That was my problem. Yes, I passed within 100 feet of an intersection, but the cop himself, by his apology, indicated he didn't think the ticket was warranted.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Particularly in Denver. I would quit before I would go into people's house and killed their innocent dog. If the cops took my dog I would probably hate them forever. Denver's one ****ed up place.

Yeah, and California is a bastion of normalcy.

Simplex3
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
He did the crime, now he does the time, so to speak. I've never bitched about any of the tickets I've EARNED.

Baby Lee
05-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Sure, no sense in averting an avalanche of "Oh, Mr. Winslow gets away with it, but you give me a ticket" for the next decade or so.

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Yeah, and California is a bastion of normalcy.

At least they are not marching into people's houses out here and killing innocent families innocent pets. How do you look at a kid while your taking his dog to kill him? If it was anyone but government officials doing that people would want tortute the POS that do that. Canine genocide, Denver just officially became the most ****ed up place in the United States. I hope somebody shoots the ****ers that passed that shit.

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 12:43 PM
He did the crime, now he does the time, so to speak. I've never bitched about any of the tickets I've EARNED.

How many did you get driving in a parking lot? This would be a great "In the America I remember" because I have never heard of something so ridiculous. The only way I would agree with you is if he put somebody else at risk but from the area they showed it looked like that just wasn't the case.

Bob Dole
05-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Did he damage the curb or something?

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Did he damage the curb or something?

That's true I guess he was endangering the curb. ROFL

kc rush
05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Probably just a pissed off Browns fan.

Admit it, if you were a cop you would have loved to find a reason (any reason) to ticket some of the crappy free agents and early round busts we've had here.

Simplex3
05-20-2005, 01:33 PM
How many did you get driving in a parking lot? This would be a great "In the America I remember" because I have never heard of something so ridiculous. The only way I would agree with you is if he put somebody else at risk but from the area they showed it looked like that just wasn't the case.
One.

Of course by your standards you couldn't ticket me for doing 120 down the highway as long as there were no other drivers. You know, wasn't endangering anyone but myself there.

He was in a public parking lot. Somebody could have pulled in there, some kids could have wandered over to see what was going on, you name it. Dude was an idiot and he's getting the ticket to cover it.

buddha
05-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Why SHOULDN'T he get a ticket? The other consequences in his life have nothing to do with the issue. He's lucky it's only for $150! I'm sure they could have tacked on some additional charges had they been so inclined.

1adam1238
05-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Didn't George Carlin once propose giving people a ticket for being an asshole?

BIG_DADDY
05-20-2005, 02:21 PM
One.

ROFL Your a menace to society. Most of you here really don't give a rats ass about living in a police state anyway that's why I got to hurry up and make my money now and get some of it out of here.

Carlota69
05-20-2005, 02:55 PM
At least they are not marching into people's houses out here and killing innocent families innocent pets. How do you look at a kid while your taking his dog to kill him? If it was anyone but government officials doing that people would want tortute the POS that do that. Canine genocide, Denver just officially became the most ****ed up place in the United States. I hope somebody shoots the ****ers that passed that shit.

Yeah Big daddy! You tell Him!!! I Love you!!! :clap:

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 03:20 PM
BD ... it sounds like you live by the mantra of "I should be able to do as I please as long as I don't hurt anyone."

Have you set up your base camp out in the woods to fight the feds yet?

stevieray
05-20-2005, 03:25 PM
BD ... it sounds like you live by the mantra of "I should be able to do as I please as long as I don't hurt anyone."

Have you set up your base camp out in the woods to fight the feds yet?

Janet Reno isn't Attorney General.

Simplex3
05-20-2005, 03:29 PM
ROFL Your a menace to society. Most of you here really don't give a rats ass about living in a police state anyway that's why I got to hurry up and make my money now and get some of it out of here.
No, that was one IN A PARKING LOT. I've had far more than that. I used to average more than one a year. They've bought at least one squad car with what I've paid in to them.

I agree in the "if I'm not violating your rights get the f**k out of my life", but as stupid as people are these days you have to set some limits on risk.

For instance, I could randomly shoot holes in your house and the odds are low I'd kill or injure you. You might not be home, you might be in another room, lots of things.

Tooling around in public at 35 mph in a parking lot on a bike you aren't comfortable on is certainly dangerous to him and anyone else that might have been there or show up while he was doing it. Now, if this fool wanted to do this he was welcome to go to a track, rent some space, whatever. He chose to be a tool and he's got the ticket and scars to prove it.

Mile High Mania
05-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Janet Reno isn't Attorney General.

Very true. Good job, shows you've been paying attention to the political scene. :clap:

Gravedigger
05-20-2005, 03:32 PM
This is why you don't give children money!