PDA

View Full Version : Merriman's proposal gets mixed reactions

oaklandhater
05-20-2005, 06:50 PM
By Kevin Acee
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sport...20chargers.html

LaDainian Tomlinson paused for a moment in the shade of the Chargers' headquarters building yesterday, a 90-minute practice in the unseasonable warmth behind him and more conditioning drills awaiting him.

Sweat streamed from every pore.

So, at that moment, the idea of Shawne Merriman coming to San Diego to be with the team but refraining from physical activity seemed preposterous to him.

"It doesn't make sense to come to meetings and then not work out," the Pro Bowl running back said.

Merriman's future teammates had mixed reactions yesterday to the proposal by Merriman's agent that the player attend offseason meetings but not work out, a proposal rejected by team officials.

"I'd like to see him at least getting a feel for it – learning the plays, building that connection with the guys," linebacker Steve Foley said.

Then Foley shrugged.

"But if he's here I'd like to see him out here," he said, gesturing toward the practice field.

Merriman's agent believes the language in the Chargers' injury protection does not adequately ensure Merriman will be justly compensated should he be injured before signing a contract.

While Chargers players try to remain empathetic and profess a willingness to embrace the team's top draft pick when he does get here, they struggle with the reality that he is not here.

"How many rookies got drafted?" offensive lineman Roman Oben asked rhetorically. "Over 200? And he's the only guy not here?

"You say he's a junior and he left school early and he wants to play, but. . . . Your agent works for you – not vice versa."

The concern for all involved is that Merriman is missing valuable learning time. Participating in meetings and film sessions would at least introduce him to his coaches and the way they want a defense run.

But some players expressed incredulity that a player would even think about skipping practice sessions while his teammates toil. Others simply pointed out the practical side of putting what is learned into action.

"At least I guess he'd be here learning the defense," Tomlinson said.

"Then again, you can only learn so much in the classroom."

Rain Man
05-20-2005, 06:53 PM
I don't think he should ever report. The Chargers insulted him by asking him to show up this early.

He should follow Kelly Stouffer's example, and hold out the entire year. Kelly really showed 'em.

oaklandhater
05-20-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't think he should ever report. The Chargers insulted him by asking him to show up this early.

He should follow Kelly Stouffer's example, and hold out the entire year. Kelly really showed 'em.

Kelly who LMAO!

shaneo69
05-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Kelly who LMAO!

Former St. Louis Cardinals 1st round bust who was traded to the Seahawks after refusing to sign with the Cardinals when they tried to lowball him.