PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Royals manager search moves to next phase...

tk13
05-21-2005, 01:59 AM
....with no Frank White on the list.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11701634.htm

Baird plans short list

By BOB DUTTON and JEFF PASSAN The Kansas City Star

Phase II of the Royals' managerial search is under way with a short list that includes Art Howe and current interim skipper Bob Schaefer as verified candidates.

General manager Allard Baird confirmed Friday that he is beginning to contact clubs to gain permission to interview prospective candidates.

Baird said everyone on the list has previous major-league managing experience. That would eliminate Class AA Wichita manager Frank White, one of the more popular players in franchise history.

Howe confirmed preliminary discussions with Baird that established mutual interest and plans for a formal interview.

“They have contacted me,” said Howe, who was fired last September by the New York Mets. “I haven't set up a time to come in. In fairness to the other candidates, I'd rather not say anything more than that I'm delighted.”

Baird said the search could be expanded to include those without big-league managing experience if the short list fails to provide a suitable candidate after the interview process.

Howe, 58, remains under contract to the Mets through 2006 under terms of a four-year, $4.9 million deal signed before the 2003 season.

Baird declined to specify how many candidates the list contains beyond saying it is a “short list.” He identified only one candidate — Schaefer.

“I sat down with (club president) Dan Glass and gave him the list,” Baird said from California, where he spent Friday scouting prospective candidates for the upcoming amateur draft.

“Dan and I talked about every candidate in detail. As soon as we can, we'll start the interview process.”

Baird said all candidates meet the club's desired profile, which includes experience in developing young players in addition to having served as a big-league manager.

Those who fit that profile in addition to Howe and Schaefer include Gene Lamont, Jimy Williams, Jerry Narron and Terry Collins. Howe, Lamont and Williams have guided teams into the postseason.

Howe has a 1,129-1,137 record in 14 seasons as manager of the Houston Astros, Oakland A's and Mets. He is currently in Sioux City, Iowa, following his son, Matt, who plays for the Sioux City Explorers of the Northern League.

“I've been keeping tabs on the team since Tony (Peña) resigned,” Howe said, “trying to get familiar with a lot of the young guys especially. The Royals are a highly respected organization throughout baseball. To be even considered, I'm flattered.”

Lamont, 58, said he expects to be contacted and hopes to return to the Royals, where he worked from 1978 to 1985 in a variety of minor-league positions.

“I'm definitely interested,” he said. “I think they know that. I haven't heard from them yet.”

Lamont currently serves as manager at Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the Phillies' organization. He compiled a 553-562 record in eight seasons as manager of the Chicago White Sox and Pittsburgh Pirates.

“If you can get the job done (in Kansas City),” he said, “it would be as satisfying as anything you can do managing.

“It's not an easy job. No one said that. There would be some frustrating times. But they're things you accept, stay positive and hope you can develop players. What you shoot for is trying to be like Minnesota.”

Baird and Glass plan to conduct joint face-to-face interviews with each candidate, with assistant general manager Muzzy Jackson doing a follow-up phone interview.

“The interview will probably count only about 10 to 20 percent of the process,” Baird said. “Some guys interview better than other guys. But all of these guys have a track record. There are all sorts of people we can contact to learn more about each candidate.

“That research is still ongoing and is really of greater importance.”

Baird reiterated that no timetable exists for hiring a permanent replacement for Peña, who resigned after the May 10 game in Toronto.

“That's really secondary to getting the right guy,” Baird said. “It all depends on when we're able to complete the interview process. There is no urgency because we are very comfortable with Bob Schaefer running the club.”

The Royals are 4-5 under Schaefer.

Deberg_1990
05-21-2005, 02:22 AM
"Ladies and Gentleman, its my pleasure to introdeuce to you the new Permanant KC Royals manager, Bob Schaefer "

Bank On it.......they will go the cheap route.

siberian khatru
05-21-2005, 06:52 AM
What, no Bobby Valentine? ;)

eazyb81
05-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Okay, Art Howe I can understand, but some of the names on this list are pretty disappointing.

Gene Lamont? Jimy Williams? Jerry Narron?!? Terry Collins?!?

WTF? Where is Grady Little? Where is Larry Dierker? Where is Jim Leyland?

:cuss:

PunkinDrublic
05-21-2005, 09:11 AM
What, no Bobby Valentine? ;)

I would take Bobby Valentine to manage the Royals in a heartbeat.

nychief
05-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Bobby V. is not coming here...

Howe.

beavis
05-21-2005, 09:42 AM
"Ladies and Gentleman, its my pleasure to introdeuce to you the new Permanant KC Royals manager, Bob Schaefer "

Bank On it.......they will go the cheap route.
Bank on it... it has no chance in hell of happening.

tk13
05-22-2005, 01:11 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/11707432.htm

Collins on manager short list

By JEFF PASSAN and BOB DUTTON The Kansas City Star

Add Terry Collins as a confirmed candidate on the Royals' short list of possible managerial replacements for Tony Peña.

The Royals asked permission from the Los Angeles Dodgers to discuss their managerial vacancy with Collins, who serves as their director of player development.

“I'm not trying to build my hopes up too much,” Collins said. “But it's Kansas City, for heaven's sake. It's a good job. It's a good franchise.”

Collins, 55, is the third confirmed candidate on the short list, joining Art Howe and interim manager Bob Schaefer. The club is also believed to be interested in Gene Lamont.

Club sources indicate Larry Bowa is not a candidate.

Royals general manager Allard Baird declined to comment on potential candidates. He previously declined to specify how many names are on his list beyond saying it was a “short list” and that all candidates have managed in the major leagues.

Collins said he learned of the Royals' interest from Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta.

“I did hear from Paul that they called to grant permission,” Collins said. “I'm sure Paul did (grant permission), and I'm hoping to hear from them soon.”

Collins was 444-434 as manager for the Astros from 1994 to 1996 and the Angels from 1997 to 1999. Five of his six teams finished second, but none reached the playoffs.

“You've got to want this job,” he said. “There are only 30 of them. I know how hard they are to get and how important they are. A chance to build something like this is a challenge.”

Collins is in his first year as the Dodgers' farm director after serving the previous three seasons as their minor-league field coordinator.

Bowa previously indicated his interest in the position. He was 418-435 as manager of the Padres from 1987 to 1988 and the Phillies from 2001 to 2004.

Baird and club president Dan Glass are expected to begin interviews this week, but both say no timetable exists for hiring a permanent replacement.

KCFalcon59
05-22-2005, 08:04 AM
He also wants Valentine.

http://cjonline.com/stories/052205/roy_rany.shtml

By Rany Jazayerli

The Capital-Journal

Give Tony Pena credit: his final move as the Royals manager may have been his finest.

We may never know to what extent his decision to resign was the product of his team's issues or his own. Regardless, as manager he was a dead man walking, and he did us all a favor by flipping the switch on his tenure.

Meanwhile, Allard Baird crosses his T's and dots his I's in preparation for interviewing every living person who ever has managed a major-league game. I understand Whitey Herzog is interested.

Don't laugh. When Herzog was hired by the Royals in 1975. He replaced Jack McKeon, who managed the Florida Marlins to a World Championship two years ago.

Before talking about whom the Royals should hire, let's talk about what that manager must be able to do.

He must be able to win the close games.

This isn't common knowledge yet, but during the past 10 years, the Royals have had the worst record in one-run games of any team in baseball.

Ever.

Since 1996, in games decided by one run, the Royals have a composite record of 145-232. That works out to a .385 winning percentage. No team in modern major league history -- since 1900 -- has had a winning percentage that low in one-run games during a ten-year span.

It often is said that good teams win the close games. Actually, that's not true. Good teams win the blowouts. The close games are usually a tossup. Even horrendous teams will win their fair share of one-run games. The 2003 Detroit Tigers, whose American League record for losses (119) the Royals are chasing, actually won more one-run games than they lost (19-18). In their other games, they were 24-101.

Who wins the close games has little to do with which team is better. It has a lot to do with which team has the better bullpen and even more to do with stone cold luck. The bloop single, the wind-blown home run, the perfect relay throw that hits a pebble and allows the runner to score -- all these vagaries of fate are magnified in a close game. But it isn't just random chance that gets magnified -- it also is the decisions of the manager that play a greater role in the outcome. You don't blame the manager when you lose 11-0. When you lose 3-2, it is natural to scrutinize the manager's tactical moves.

In the past ten years, the Royals have had three permanent managers -- Bob Boone, Tony Muser, and Pena. All three were, to be polite, awful tacticians. They all shared an unhealthy fascination with rally-killing strategies like bunting with the middle of your lineup and trying to steal bases with slow baserunners. None of the three was particularly distinguished at getting the most out of his relievers. None of them was adept at fielding strong fundamental teams. And it showed. Year after year.

It's time for the Royals to break the mold they've been using the past decade. Committing to a manager with previous experience is a good first start. But it would help if that manager knows how to get the most out of his roster, knows how to match up his relievers in the late innings and doesn't get so obsessed with playing for one run that he misses the opportunity to score more.

My vote goes to Bobby Valentine, who has annoyed his share of people around baseball with his abrasiveness but who has taken over a pair of teams nearly as hopeless as the Royals -- the mid-80s Texas Rangers and the mid-90s New York Mets -- and who turned both franchises around, taking the Mets to the World Series in 2000.

Best of all, his record in one-run games (.516) is better than his overall record (.510). Maybe he won't single-handedly win the close games for the Royals. But at least he won't lose them.

Frankie
05-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Is it the manager or the organization? The Royals are now very similar to the Chiefs of Jack Steadman. I doubt ANY manager is the answer to the Royals' woes.

Deberg_1990
05-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Is it the manager or the organization? The Royals are now very similar to the Chiefs of Jack Steadman. I doubt ANY manager is the answer to the Royals' woes.

Good point. Ive been saying for years its the WHOLE organization thats the problem. The Owner, the GM, the scouts, the farm system, the managers, the lack of talent. Everything.