PDA

View Full Version : Charger fan here: Just a few questions...

caffeinated_virus
05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Hello Chief fans.

I come in peace. :drool:

Just wanted to come in and ask a few questions regarding your recent draft picks and your highly revamped defense. I'll just go down the list here:

1.) How did DJ look in mini-camp? Is he projected to be your OLB? I am assuming Bell is your MLB? Any idea on your starting 3 LB's? You have DJ, Bell, Barber, Fujita, Mitchell, Grigsby...just wanted to see how everything is going.

2.) Your DL. I think your DL is going to be much better this year. Who are the projected starters? I know you have: Hicks, Simms, Siavii, Dalton, Hall and Allen. Siavii is huge. how has he looked?

3.) Your secondary: Looks good: Surtain, Knight, Wesley, Mcleon, Warfield...please fill me in.

4.) I think i read an article where your defense is starting to 'gel' and Gunther is excited about the new players?.

5.) Priest: How is he doing? He at 100%? What about Larry Johnson?

6.) your starting WR...How does Thorpe look? (If he gets it together, I think he could be very solid WR)

That's about it for now. Going to be a fun year in the AFC West.

Appreciate it.

Cf

mlyonsd
05-21-2005, 12:02 PM
I think I can sum 1-6 up this way:

It's the offseason and getting close to training camp time. That being said optimism is very high. You won't find much negative reporting just homerism.

I'm happy with our revamped defense but wish we had done something a little more in FA in regards to the DL. We picked up Carlos Hall but I'm not sure he's the guy that can turn the DL around. Just my .02

mlyonsd
05-21-2005, 12:03 PM
Oh yea, and we're going to kick your guy's arse.

I think I'm supposed to say that in this time of great homerism.

caffeinated_virus
05-21-2005, 12:04 PM
I think I can sum 1-6 up this way:

It's the offseason and getting close to training camp time. That being said optimism is very high. You won't find much negative reporting just homerism.

I'm happy with our revamped defense but wish we had done something a little more in FA in regards to the DL. We picked up Carlos Hall but I'm not sure he's the guy that can turn the DL around. Just my .02

Is the concern about not getting a good pass rush with your DL? What about run stuffing? Simms and Siavii would "seem" to be able to get it done.

If your defense plays better and gets you in the top 15 overall defense, I expect a SB run from you guys.

TRR
05-21-2005, 12:07 PM
(1) Right now, our LB's are Bell, Mitchell, and DJ. DJ has looked awesome in mini camp from all reports.

(2) Hicks, Sims, Dalton, Allen....with Carlos Hall getting some PT.

(3) Surtain, Warfield, Knight, Wesley...Woods may be cut.

(4) Gun hand picked our new players, and is very excited about all of them.

(5) Priest is 100%, and has actually bulked up some to withstand the pounding...LJ looks as good as ever according to reports....in great shape.

(6) Our WR's are a mystery. Johnnie Morton will probably be cut because he is a pr*ck. Everyone thinks KC will look to sign a player like Warrick, Troy Brown, or Freddie Mitchell after June 1st. Thorpe hasn't looked too good in OTA's.

caffeinated_virus
05-21-2005, 12:11 PM
(1) Right now, our LB's are Bell, Mitchell, and DJ. DJ has looked awesome in mini camp from all reports.

(2) Hicks, Sims, Dalton, Allen....with Carlos Hall getting some PT.

(3) Surtain, Warfield, Knight, Wesley...Woods may be cut.

(4) Gun hand picked our new players, and is very excited about all of them.

(5) Priest is 100%, and has actually bulked up some to withstand the pounding...LJ looks as good as ever according to reports....in great shape.

(6) Our WR's are a mystery. Johnnie Morton will probably be cut because he is a pr*ck. Everyone thinks KC will look to sign a player like Warrick, Troy Brown, or Freddie Mitchell after June 1st. Thorpe hasn't looked too good in OTA's.

Thanks for the update guys. Much appreciated.

If you guys can land a good player after June 1st cuts (someone like Warrick) I don't think you'd lose a step. No question on your offense.

Should be a hard fought battle this year. I expect a dogfight for the title.

Denver is a enigma to me.
Raiders have a juggenaught of a offense but a bad defense. Should be high scoring games.

TRR
05-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the update guys. Much appreciated.

If you guys can land a good player after June 1st cuts (someone like Warrick) I don't think you'd lose a step. No question on your offense.

Should be a hard fought battle this year. I expect a dogfight for the title.

Raiders have a juggenaught of a offense but a bad defense. Should be high scoring games.

At this point, we would accept just about anybody over Johnnie Morton. The player that actually has raised some eyebrows is speedster Samie Parker who had 3 solid games last season. If KC were to cut Morton and not bring anyone else in, everyone is decently confident that SP could get it done. He is the burner we don't have in our WR corp.

Mr. Laz
05-21-2005, 12:21 PM
If KC were to cut Morton and not bring anyone else in, everyone is decently confident that SP could get it done. He is the burner we don't have in our WR corp.
we don't have much idea if samie parker can get the job done at all

everyone behind morton and kennison have big question marks

some fans are just letting their dislike of morton get in the way of good judgement.

TRR
05-21-2005, 12:24 PM
we don't have much idea if samie parker can get the job done at all

everyone behind morton and kennison have big question marks

some fans are just letting their dislike of morton get in the way of good judgement.

That's why I said DECENTLY confident.

Braincase
05-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Denver is an enema to me.

I fixed your post.

chiefs4me
05-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Everything you would ever wanna know about the chiefs, you can just read right here on the threads. These guys are awesome at getting news and posting it.

On the other hand, they can be cruel and ruthless...so don't turn your back......ROFL

DaWolf
05-21-2005, 12:38 PM
As far as the DL goes, the key to that entire thing is whether or not the light turns on for Sims this year. Some guys take 3 or so years for it to click, and some just never click. So it's time for Sims to put up or he's a bust.

The entire defense looks improved on paper, but again it comes to everyone gelling and the guys who were here picking up their game. I like the fact that we brought in competition at virtually every position, that usually pushes guys. But a lot seems to be riding on the play of Sims and Kawika Mitchell right now.

Offensively as long as everyone stays healthy we should continue to be good. I'd like to see us bring in a proven wideout, but Samie Parker seems to be impressing, and if that's the case having him and Kennison on the same field really gives us two burners out there. We do get back Boerighter and add this kid Kris Wilson who was supposed to do impressive things for us last year, we'll see how Saunders fits him in. Green has got to make better decisions out there, he threw some costly INT's last year, but he ought to be able to have another fine season...

big nasty kcnut
05-21-2005, 01:09 PM
A charger fan hi there. I'm also very sorry your a charger fan

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Everything you would ever wanna know about the chiefs, you can just read right here on the threads. These guys are awesome at getting news and posting it.

On the other hand, they can be cruel and ruthless...so don't turn your back......ROFL
I'm bored. You wanna fight?

chiefs4me
05-21-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm bored. You wanna fight?

I can whip your butt with one hand tied behind my back old man...:p

teedubya
05-21-2005, 02:39 PM

Yeah, Denver is an enema. You got that right.

Rain Man
05-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Hello Chief fans.

I come in peace. :drool:

Just wanted to come in and ask a few questions regarding your recent draft picks and your highly revamped defense. I'll just go down the list here:

1.) How did DJ look in mini-camp? Is he projected to be your OLB? I am assuming Bell is your MLB? Any idea on your starting 3 LB's? You have DJ, Bell, Barber, Fujita, Mitchell, Grigsby...just wanted to see how everything is going.

2.) Your DL. I think your DL is going to be much better this year. Who are the projected starters? I know you have: Hicks, Simms, Siavii, Dalton, Hall and Allen. Siavii is huge. how has he looked?

3.) Your secondary: Looks good: Surtain, Knight, Wesley, Mcleon, Warfield...please fill me in.

4.) I think i read an article where your defense is starting to 'gel' and Gunther is excited about the new players?.

5.) Priest: How is he doing? He at 100%? What about Larry Johnson?

6.) your starting WR...How does Thorpe look? (If he gets it together, I think he could be very solid WR)

That's about it for now. Going to be a fun year in the AFC West.

Appreciate it.

Cf

Here are my takes on these issues, and I should point out that I'm far and away the leading Chiefs expert on this board. (Shifty look left, shifty look right.)

1. So far DJ has been likened to the second coming of Moses, but with better hands. (Moses was known to drop a few, after all.) There will be rioting in the streets if Vermeil won't let him start because he's a rookie. Bell is inexplicably penciled in at ROLB, but we're just glad to have him anywhere. In a frightening and perplexing mystery, Kawika "Can't find Waldo as long as Waldo is carrying a football" Mitchell is penciled in to start in the middle. He's a great athlete with absolutely no football aptitude, and we're holding our breath.

2. The DL is full of underachievers, kind of like Denver's except we actually drafted ours. Jared Allen was good as a rookie, and everyone else really needs to step up. This is the most suspect area right now, despite a lot of high draft picks in recent years.

3. For the first time in years, we have hope that the secondary won't be shipped to the burn unit after every game. We've got five players who are starting caliber (Surtain, Knight, Warfield, Wesley, and Woods). We're just hoping that secondary coach Peter Giunta has a spiritual awakening and resigns to become a monk before the season starts.

4. Hopefully. There should be only four starters this year who were starting at the same position last year (LDE unless there's a caring, benevalent God, LDT, RDT, RDE) with our FS and RCB being moved from other positions.

5. Priest appears to be at 100 percent, and Johnson is a stud. We're set.

6. WR continues to be a weak spot, but also not vital. Thorpe apparently hasn't looked very good so far, but everyone is very excited about last year's rookie Samie Parker. Until proven otherwise, we're below average in both starters and depth.

RedDread
05-21-2005, 03:54 PM
there's only 1 team in the AFC west right now that has no chance of winning the division, and that's the raiders

caffeinated_virus
05-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Here are my takes on these issues, and I should point out that I'm far and away the leading Chiefs expert on this board. (Shifty look left, shifty look right.)

1. So far DJ has been likened to the second coming of Moses, but with better hands. (Moses was known to drop a few, after all.) There will be rioting in the streets if Vermeil won't let him start because he's a rookie. Bell is inexplicably penciled in at ROLB, but we're just glad to have him anywhere. In a frightening and perplexing mystery, Kawika "Can't find Waldo as long as Waldo is carrying a football" Mitchell is penciled in to start in the middle. He's a great athlete with absolutely no football aptitude, and we're holding our breath.

2. The DL is full of underachievers, kind of like Denver's except we actually drafted ours. Jared Allen was good as a rookie, and everyone else really needs to step up. This is the most suspect area right now, despite a lot of high draft picks in recent years.

3. For the first time in years, we have hope that the secondary won't be shipped to the burn unit after every game. We've got five players who are starting caliber (Surtain, Knight, Warfield, Wesley, and Woods). We're just hoping that secondary coach Peter Giunta has a spiritual awakening and resigns to become a monk before the season starts.

4. Hopefully. There should be only four starters this year who were starting at the same position last year (LDE unless there's a caring, benevalent God, LDT, RDT, RDE) with our FS and RCB being moved from other positions.

5. Priest appears to be at 100 percent, and Johnson is a stud. We're set.

6. WR continues to be a weak spot, but also not vital. Thorpe apparently hasn't looked very good so far, but everyone is very excited about last year's rookie Samie Parker. Until proven otherwise, we're below average in both starters and depth.

Thanks Rain Man. I appreciate it.

Rain Man
05-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks Rain Man. I appreciate it.

We'd appreciate some insight on the Chargers, too.

1. What's going to happen between Brees and Rivers, both this season and beyond?

2. Who are you lining up at WR, and how would you rate them?

3. What's the OL looking like? What's the deal with the big Samoa guard (Toniu Fonoti? Mosi Tatupu? Don't know how to spell it.) I remember he had a great reputation coming in, and then seemed to be in Marty's doghouse.

4. Is the secondary coming around to expectations? It seems like SD has invested as much in their secondary as we have in our defensive line.

BigMeatballDave
05-21-2005, 04:16 PM
there's only 1 team in the AFC west right now that has no chance of winning the division, and that's the raiders
ROFL Dude, I love the sig! :thumb:

Reaper16
05-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Also, how do you guys see the Merriman situation going?

caffeinated_virus
05-21-2005, 06:29 PM
We'd appreciate some insight on the Chargers, too.

1. What's going to happen between Brees and Rivers, both this season and beyond?

2. Who are you lining up at WR, and how would you rate them?

3. What's the OL looking like? What's the deal with the big Samoa guard (Toniu Fonoti? Mosi Tatupu? Don't know how to spell it.) I remember he had a great reputation coming in, and then seemed to be in Marty's doghouse.

4. Is the secondary coming around to expectations? It seems like SD has invested as much in their secondary as we have in our defensive line.

Let me go down the line here and then bring up Merriman.

1.) Brees vs. Rivers. That has been beaten to death a thousand times on numerous boards. There are essentially two camps; The "Breesians" and River fans. It gets ugly. I would venture to say that the split is 50/50. I'll try to be unbiased in my details, but I am in the Rivers camp.

Ok...here goes.
The QB position is up for grabs right now. Marty as well as AJ Smith (Chargers GM) both stated that all positions are up for grabs (excluding LT of course, because the guy has already proved what he can do.) Brees is not the guaranteed starter, but he does have a edge over Rivers. That being said, the QB battle that will unfold in TC is going to be awesome.

Brees. I think a lot of people, fans and Brass, think that Brees 2004 season is a career year. Highly unlikely that he will duplicate it and extremely unlikely he will beat it. With that being said, unless Brees equals 2004, this will be his last year.

Rivers. Chargers Front Office is extremely high on Rivers. They have continually to praised him. He came into mini-camp in phenomal shape and a man on the mission. He packed on some solid muscle and he is ready to unset Brees which he might just do.He is still the QB of the future. I think a lot of people like what he brings to the table. He is much bigger than Brees (6'0 218lbs vs. 6'5 230lbs). He has a better arm than Brees (but does not have a cannon), extremely fast release and is deadly accurate. He is a great leader and LT was extremely impressed by his first impression with Rivers in mini-camp in 2004. I think the overall concensus is that Rivers is the better of the two long term and will be a very good player in this league for a long term. When coaches like Bobby Bowden say "he is the best QB i've ever seen" and coach Norm Chow says "he will get the Chargers to the Super Bowl in two years.." and more, really makes you feel good about this kid.

Overall, I personally think he is going to outpefrom and outplay in Brees in TC this year. The main question is, will Marty give him the nod (on ya, it is no secret that Marty is very smitten on Rivers as well..). I could go on and on, but i'll stop there. A "Breesian" might come over and read this and get mad. ROFL

WR position. Here is our list:

McCardell
Reche Caldwell
Eric Parker
Vincent Jackson
Kassim Osgood
Malcom Floyd

I'm probably leaving someone out.

McCardell is our #1, but is getting old.

Reche Caldwell was really coming into his own last year before he blew out his ACL. Is supposed to be 100% this year. He would be our #2.

Eric Parker would be our #3. Fast and very agile, but durability is a huge concern.

Vincent Jackson, was our 2nd round draft pick. He is 6'4 and 242lbs, but runs a 4.5. Came from a small school, but looks like a good kid. Moves extremely well for a big guy.

Kassim Osgood is a decent WR. He is more of a special teams demon for us though.

Malcom Floyd, another promsing player. He comes in at 6'6 215lbs. Jury is still out.

1. Mccardell
2. Caldwell
3. Parker
4. Osgood/Floyd/Jackson

3. OL appears to be pretty good. Tonoiu Fonoti, missed the entire 2003 season (IR). However he came back last year and had a very solid season. He is a big time road grader. Run blocking is awesome. Pass blocking is getting better. The others are:

LT - Roman Oben
LG - Fonoti
C - Nick Hardwick
RG - Mike Goff
RT - Shane Olivea

There will be some battles in TC to see who starts. Two names that jump out are Courtney Van Buren and Wesley Britt. Both are huge men and would battle for tackle jobs.

4. Secondary. Was suspect a lot. However, we never really had a pass rush so our secondary was left out hanging. hopefully, our pass rush will exist and our secondary can take advantate.

Our top cover corner is Jammer. Still learning, but usually does a very good job. Our other corner currently is Drayton Florence. Shows very good ball hawking skills and is a good tackler, but still needs to learn the game. Other DB's are Sammy Davis, Jamar Fletcher.

Safeties.
SS - Terrance Kiel. Very solid safety. Sound tackler. Solid in run support. Working on Pass coverage.

FS - Battle between: Bwahu Jue, Clinton Hart, Jerry Wilson and Hanik Milligan. I think Wilson will get cut before the season. The real battle will be between Jue and Hart. Hanik Milligan is a devastating hitter but his coverage skills lack.

Merriman. Everyone is pissed. Our GM will not put up with Postons BS and pretty much came out last week and said, we will offer Merriman very good slot money at #12. If he signs it...great. Everyones happy. If you don't, he pretty much said, nice knowing you.

milkman
05-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Norm Chow "he will get the Chargers to the Super Bowl in 2 years."

So did Chow have any idea who the head coach will be then?

We know it won't be Marty.

caffeinated_virus
05-23-2005, 03:36 PM
So did Chow have any idea who the head coach will be then?

We know it won't be Marty.

Hehehe...well, they just gave Marty a 2 year extension, so i believe we have him for 3-4 more years. Time will tell.

BTW, how does your big guy, Siavii look. Any promise there?

I expect your D to be much better this year.

Rain Man
05-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Nice input, virus. Thanks.

Eleazar
05-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Hall and Jared Allen, hopefully, can provide pass rush, with others rotating into the DE positions in non-passing situations, I think.

The interior line will be a rotation between Sims, Dalton, Siavii, and Browning. Of those four, Siavii played the least last year, but was injured in week 1 by a cheating Donkey block and it nagged him the whole year. We didn't really see much of what he could do. Dalton played the best at that position last year but isn't a player who is going to scare anyone.

I think at this time Bell will end up at MLB and DJ outside. I don't know who would end up being the other guy on the outside, I guess Fujita would be the frontrunner there.

The secondard I'm pleased with, Warfield is a good guy to be a #2. We have half of the best secondary in the NFL coming over from Miami in Knight and Surtain. Free safety will have several people competing for the job and I see those previous starters who can't win the FS job being cap casualties.

caffeinated_virus
05-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Hall and Jared Allen, hopefully, can provide pass rush, with others rotating into the DE positions in non-passing situations, I think.

The interior line will be a rotation between Sims, Dalton, Siavii, and Browning. Of those four, Siavii played the least last year, but was injured in week 1 by a cheating Donkey block and it nagged him the whole year. We didn't really see much of what he could do. Dalton played the best at that position last year but isn't a player who is going to scare anyone.

I think at this time Bell will end up at MLB and DJ outside. I don't know who would end up being the other guy on the outside, I guess Fujita would be the frontrunner there.

The secondard I'm pleased with, Warfield is a good guy to be a #2. We have half of the best secondary in the NFL coming over from Miami in Knight and Surtain. Free safety will have several people competing for the job and I see those previous starters who can't win the FS job being cap casualties.

Good stuff. I am really anxious to see how your D plays. If they play as good as i expect, then I am officially scared.
:)

tiptap
05-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Good stuff. I am really anxious to see how your D plays. If they play as good as i expect, then I am officially scared.
:)

Less opinion more facts. The statistics show that the Chiefs were in the top ten on defense is stopping 1st downs for no gain or loss. This meant that the defensive line was active in stopping the runs, most of which would be between tackles on first downs. So how is it we have the worst defense statistically overall? Well teams then needed to make big yardage on 2nd and 3rd downs and would run outside or pass. Our LB play did not have the speed to play in space so we got burned on those plays. The secondary played poorly as well. And the effort on 1st downs was wasted usually. The team was average in QB sacks.

This year we may have the speed at LB to actually see plays made in space on 2nd and 3rd downs. Plus the addition of Surtain should make the CB play better which with more speed at LB should improve the QB sack rate.

On offense our weakness last year was the play at RT. If we can get that settled the offense will be better this year than last year. It is my biggest concern.

caffeinated_virus
05-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Less opinion more facts. The statistics show that the Chiefs were in the top ten on defense is stopping 1st downs for no gain or loss. This meant that the defensive line was active in stopping the runs, most of which would be between tackles on first downs. So how is it we have the worst defense statistically overall? Well teams then needed to make big yardage on 2nd and 3rd downs and would run outside or pass. Our LB play did not have the speed to play in space so we got burned on those plays. The secondary played poorly as well. And the effort on 1st downs was wasted usually. The team was average in QB sacks.

This year we may have the speed at LB to actually see plays made in space on 2nd and 3rd downs. Plus the addition of Surtain should make the CB play better which with more speed at LB should improve the QB sack rate.

On offense our weakness last year was the play at RT. If we can get that settled the offense will be better this year than last year. It is my biggest concern.

Didn't realize that regarding your 1st down defense and your 2nd and 3rd down defense. Yes, DJ and Bell should upgrade that. Who will fill in the other LB position? Barber? Fujita? Mitchell? "Boomer"?

The addition of Knight should also help out your entire D because he is a lights out hitter. He will help out in my opinion, more than I think most people are giving credit.

Yes, I know people are picking the Chargers to win the West. But to be honest, im not so sure. I think our offense is to simple honestly. Teams will figure out how to cover Gates and LT can only do so much. Our WR's are decent and OL is average. It will be a tough road, no doubt.

tiptap
05-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Didn't realize that regarding your 1st down defense and your 2nd and 3rd down defense. Yes, DJ and Bell should upgrade that. Who will fill in the other LB position? Barber? Fujita? Mitchell? "Boomer"?

The addition of Knight should also help out your entire D because he is a lights out hitter. He will help out in my opinion, more than I think most people are giving credit.

Yes, I know people are picking the Chargers to win the West. But to be honest, im not so sure. I think our offense is to simple honestly. Teams will figure out how to cover Gates and LT can only do so much. Our WR's are decent and OL is average. It will be a tough road, no doubt.

I am betting on Scanlon MLB though on this board that vote will start bringing in a barrage of worthless comments seeing as Scanlon is only a european player so far.

Eleazar
05-23-2005, 05:09 PM

For some reason, it seems like we usually do a good job with LT. As for Gates, if you want to prepare your team for what a dynamic TE can bring I guess we have the guy for that too.

My overall impression of our D from the last 2 years is that the main problem was that they never made stops on 3rd down (no pass rush + spotty secondary) and they couldn't stop the rush to the outside.

My biggest concern is still the D-line, but with better LB and secondary they might look better. They have a lot to prove. Allen had a good year but another unimpressive year from Sims and we can pretty much call him an unqualified bust. There is just no one on the D-line who demands attention. Hopefully some young guys improve.

Personally I see the division coming down to us and you guys, I like our chances but who knows. We have been 'supposed to be good' plenty of times in my lifetime and it not worked out.

beer bacon
05-23-2005, 05:12 PM

Our LB core is still pretty wide open right now. Gunther has stated that he is going to have a floating LB depth chart this summer while he figures out who should be doing what. The starters penciled in now are Bell at ROLB, Mitchell at MLB, and Fox at LOLB. Fox has been playing very well so far according to the coaches, but that is of course without pads. Derrick Johnson right now is second team LOLB and will probably move up to starting team once he gets a better handle on the defense.

The biggest question right now is where Bell will end up playing. Gunther likes him at ROLB. He has said that the ROLB position is actually very similar to what Bell did as an ILB for the Steelers. In essence, playing ROLB behind Jared Allen allows Bell to utilize his pass rushing abilities better. The problem with this is that it is still up in the air whether or not we have any linebackers on the roster then can fill in at MLB. Mitchell showed some flashes at the end of last season, but that could have easily been a mirage. Hopefully, he has turned the corner.

We had the 9th most sacks in the NFL last year, and hopefully the additions of Hall, Bell, DJ, and a more mature Allen will allow us to improve upon that this year. That in addition to actually having a true #1 corner in Surtain, a good #2 in Warfield, and a [hopefully] consistant and ballhawking FS in Wesley will allow Sammy to cheat up against the run and to also freelance on passing downs to make the big play, whether that is a nasty hit on a receiver or an interception.

We have a lot more potential to actually field a quality defense this year. What remains to be seen is whether or not we will utilize this potential or waste it.

chiefs4me
05-23-2005, 05:18 PM

Now I have seen it all.....who are these people you speak of that are picking the chargers to win the West...last I heard, there were only 3 charger fans anyway...:harumph:

beer bacon
05-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Now I have seen it all.....who are these people you speak of that are picking the chargers to win the West...last I heard, there were only 3 charger fans anyway...:harumph:

They were also 12-4 last year. How crazy to pick the team that won the division last year to win it this year. Those dumb bastards.

Chiefnj
05-23-2005, 05:23 PM
1. DJ looked fast.
2. The DL is questionable. The Chiefs need one of their draft picks, Siavii or Sims to step up. DE wasn't really upgraded unless you consider Hall an upgrade.
3. On paper the secondary looks better. Surtain should help some, but the addition of a very good corner often doesn't help as much as it should; see Denver and Minnesota.
4. Gel?? It's way too early to tell. They haven't played in pads yet. Knight is supposedly becoming the team leader which is extremely telling about the lack of leadership that existed on the team before his arrival.
5. Priest is 100%.
6. The WR's are weak, especially if Morton is released. Lots of potential, but nothing proven other than Kennison.

caffeinated_virus
05-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Our LB core is still pretty wide open right now. Gunther has stated that he is going to have a floating LB depth chart this summer while he figures out who should be doing what. The starters penciled in now are Bell at ROLB, Mitchell at MLB, and Fox at LOLB. Fox has been playing very well so far according to the coaches, but that is of course without pads. Derrick Johnson right now is second team LOLB and will probably move up to starting team once he gets a better handle on the defense.

The biggest question right now is where Bell will end up playing. Gunther likes him at ROLB. He has said that the ROLB position is actually very similar to what Bell did as an ILB for the Steelers. In essence, playing ROLB behind Jared Allen allows Bell to utilize his pass rushing abilities better. The problem with this is that it is still up in the air whether or not we have any linebackers on the roster then can fill in at MLB. Mitchell showed some flashes at the end of last season, but that could have easily been a mirage. Hopefully, he has turned the corner.

We had the 9th most sacks in the NFL last year, and hopefully the additions of Hall, Bell, DJ, and a more mature Allen will allow us to improve upon that this year. That in addition to actually having a true #1 corner in Surtain, a good #2 in Warfield, and a [hopefully] consistant and ballhawking FS in Wesley will allow Sammy to cheat up against the run and to also freelance on passing downs to make the big play, whether that is a nasty hit on a receiver or an interception.

We have a lot more potential to actually field a quality defense this year. What remains to be seen is whether or not we will utilize this potential or waste it.

Good feedback beer bacon. I agree completely that your D is going to be a force to contend with. Interesting about Bell. I thought he would be your MLB. BUT, Gunther is a solid D coordinator and im sure he will figure out how to get max effectiveness out of his unit. Didn't Gunther sort of hand select a lot of the players you picked up this year?

Ya, you guys have done a good job stopping LT. If you stop Gates, it gets real interesting.

Coach
05-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Merriman. Everyone is pissed. Our GM will not put up with Postons BS and pretty much came out last week and said, we will offer Merriman very good slot money at #12. If he signs it...great. Everyones happy. If you don't, he pretty much said, nice knowing you.

What is up with this guy? I remember before the NFL Draft that there were several people wanted this guy. I wasn't really sold on him and something tells me that he's going to be a headcase for SD if SD does somehow bring him on board. This is not a good start between the two parties. Sounds like it's going to be a Ryan Leaf, Part II, DE/LB. By the way, I'm guessing that Drew Rosenhaus is his agent?

beer bacon
05-23-2005, 05:31 PM
What is up with this guy? I remember before the NFL Draft that there were several people wanted this guy. I wasn't really sold on him and something tells me that he's going to be a headcase for SD if SD does somehow bring him on board. This is not a good start between the two parties. Sounds like it's going to be a Ryan Leaf, Part II, DE/LB. By the way, I'm guessing that Drew Rosenhaus is his agent?

Postons are his agents. Despite the bad press he gets, Rosenhaus is an angel compared to the Postons.

Merriman seems like a headcase, but I think he will produce once he gets on the field. More like TO then Freddy Mitchell.

Rain Man
05-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Yes, I know people are picking the Chargers to win the West. But to be honest, im not so sure. I think our offense is too simple honestly. Teams will figure out how to cover Gates and LT can only do so much. Our WR's are decent and OL is average. It will be a tough road, no doubt.

Too simple? How strange. Marty was a real innovator during his years here. Usually he would run over right guard, and then other times, completely out of the blue, he would run straight up the middle.

Fairplay
05-23-2005, 05:34 PM
Our secondary is the weak link still on our d. The opposing teams should avoid throwing to whoever Surtain is covering for the most part and focus on their other reciever(s)and tight end.

Our weakness on offense is as usual wide recieving, Thorpe will be an improvement. The good thing about our offense is that with Priest and Johnson in the backfield and Gonzo at tightend the defense usually gears towards them so our recievers have a better chance at getting the ball.

Too bad David Boston ended up being a real dud for your team caffeinated_virus.

One thing i will say about Marty, he can't win the big games in the playoffs. We Chief fans know all to well from experience.

caffeinated_virus
05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Too simple? How strange. Marty was a real innovator during his years here. Usually he would run over right guard, and then other times, completely out of the blue, he would run straight up the middle.

LOL. I got a good laugh out of that one.

Coach
05-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Postons are his agents. Despite the bad press he gets, Rosenhaus is an angel compared to the Postons.

Merriman seems like a headcase, but I think he will produce once he gets on the field. More like TO then Freddy Mitchell.

Ah, the Postons. That's even worse.

Yeah, I think he'll be a good ball player, but just like you said, I agree. A TO on the defensive side.

At least I'm sure the Charger fans are worried about him doing a wheelie in a parking lot.

Rain Man
05-23-2005, 05:40 PM
LOL. I got a good laugh out of that one.

We still talk about that time when he had his quarterback throw the ball to a wide receiver.

CanadaKC
05-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I read Boerighter looked awesome in some mini-camps....to the point where Trent had to tell him to take it easy. That's good news.

milkman
05-23-2005, 07:09 PM
1. DJ looked fast.
2. The DL is questionable. The Chiefs need one of their draft picks, Siavii or Sims to step up. DE wasn't really upgraded unless you consider Hall an upgrade.

I've said a few times that I'm not convinced that Gun is a good evaluator of talent, so take this for whatever you think it's worth.

Gun says that it takes the average DT about 3 years to get "it", and this should be the year for Sims.
3. On paper the secondary looks better. Surtain should help some, but the addition of a very good corner often doesn't help as much as it should; see Denver and Minnesota.

Their situations wer a little different.
The guys that Bailey and Winfield replaced in Denver and Minnesota respectively weren't nearly as terrible as Bartee, so I would fully expect the addition of Surtain to help as much as it should.

4. Gel?? It's way too early to tell. They haven't played in pads yet. Knight is supposedly becoming the team leader which is extremely telling about the lack of leadership that existed on the team before his arrival.

Even if they ain't gellin' right away, I still can't envision the defense sucking up the joint as badly as last season's career day defense.

5. Priest is 100%.
6. The WR's are weak, especially if Morton is released. Lots of potential, but nothing proven other than Kennison.

Over the years, I've come to really respect Trent Green, and when he talks about Bo and Parker, you can almost feel his excitement.
They may not achieve their potential, but Trent seems to feel thay are coming along pretty good, so I feel pretty good about their prospects this season.

Fairplay
05-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Gun says that it takes the average DT about 3 years to get "it", and this should be the year for Sims.

Im sorry to disagree with the gunster with the 3 years bit.
Listen, being a defensive player isn't on par with rocket scientist. You cover your area assigned basically. I could compare it with knowing the tons of plays and offensive formations a QB has to know let alone the reading the different defensive formations he lines up against from different opponents they play.
But you get the picture.

milkman
05-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Im sorry to disagree with the gunster with the 3 years bit.
Listen, being a defensive player isn't on par with rocket scientist. You cover your area assigned basically. I could compare it with knowing the tons of plays and offensive formations a QB has to know let alone the reading the different defensive formations he lines up against from different opponents they play.
But you get the picture.

Yeah I know, another reason to take it for whatever it's worth.

Son of Logical
05-23-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't expect miracles from the D, but with all of these pick ups I think they will probably be able to gel enough to be a 10-15 level defense. I think the offense is going to keep on doing what it does. Run the ball great, and pass the ball well. The strength of our offense comes from our great o-line, and that my friends is still intact.

Chiefnj
05-23-2005, 07:45 PM
I read Boerighter looked awesome in some mini-camps....to the point where Trent had to tell him to take it easy. That's good news.

Didn't he sit out the OTA's??

Eleazar
05-23-2005, 08:06 PM
They were also 12-4 last year. How crazy to pick the team that won the division last year to win it this year. Those dumb bastards.

No kidding. Well DP's here, that means the thread is about to go to hell.