PDA

View Full Version : Emptying the Top Drawer of My Mind On Star Wars

Amnorix
05-23-2005, 08:13 AM
What good is it to be able to see into the future, Yoda, if you can’t see your own Temple being assaulted by one of your own members, resulting in the annihilation of even the children that have been entrusted to your care?

I think Yoda is my favorite character of the entire series of movies. That said, ultimately the successful usurpation of power by the Emperor rests more on Yoda’s shoulders than anyone else, in terms of where to place the blame.

So Darth Vader has definitely taken a bit of a step down in my mind as one of the all time baddest (i.e. coolest / toughest) bad guys. His childhood nickname, retained until early adulthood, sounds just like “Annie”. The only tough Jedi he ever fought and beat, in his entire career, was Count Dooku, who was pretty damn old, and Obi-Wan Kenobi, who when the two of them were relatively young, had left him a broken quadriplegic scraping futilely at the dirt and hurling epithets. Vader won the rematch against Obi-Wan, of course, who was by then waaaay past his prime as well. As for Luke, he defeated him when he was in the infancy of his Jedi training, and then LOST to him after a very short amount of Jedi training compared to most. Chosen one with the most Mitochloriants ever -- pfeh!

So how does Darth Vader scratch his nose when he’s out in public? Hope the force allows him to do it somehow, or else his life is really, really gonna suck.

Master Windu – waaay cool.

Mitochloriants (sp?) – worst idea EVAH!

After seeing Anakin kill the younglings, I just can’t see how Yoda and Obi-Wan can nod in greeting to him at the end of Return of the Jedi when they’re all “back from the dead” so to speak. I don’t think that’s something they’d ever get over, even if he did finally betray the Emperor.

Yoda – the only Jedi or Sith to die of old age. Life insurance premiums for those who can manipulate the force must really suck.

Sooner or later, movies 7, 8 and 9 get made. No clue what the plot will be, or when it will be, but any more than will make a half a billion dollars, guaranteed, plus merchandising tie-ins, etc., WILL get made. Hollywood, like any business, responds to the almighty dollar, and it will ultimately be irresistable.

God forbid that George Lucas direct any of it, however.

jynni
05-23-2005, 08:34 AM
What good is it to be able to see into the future, Yoda, if you can’t see your own Temple being assaulted by one of your own members, resulting in the annihilation of even the children that have been entrusted to your care?
"Difficult to see the future is. Always in motion".

We've seen what happens when Jedi (Skywalkers in particular) have acted on their visions of the future. Anakin goes batsy and inadvertently causes the death of the person he's trying to save. Luke goes balls to the wall into a trap and ends up getting his ass kicked by Vader.

Amnorix
05-23-2005, 08:39 AM

We've seen what happens when Jedi (Skywalkers in particular) have acted on their visions of the future. Anakin goes batsy and inadvertently causes the death of the person he's trying to save. Luke goes balls to the wall into a trap and ends up getting his ass kicked by Vader.

Yoda says this 100 times, and I understand it. It's not supposed to be any kind of perfect predictor or anything.

But I'm saying that if it doesn't show you THIS, then it is worthless.

Now that I think of it, the only USEFUL thing seeing the future got anybody, was when it led Luke to get his friends out of the situation they were in in ESB. Of course, in that instance Vader was specifically using that knowledge against Luke to try to lure him into a trap. A plan which completely succeeded until Luke got unbelievably lucky by jumping to his death only to fall, miraculously, into a chute.

chagrin
05-23-2005, 08:51 AM

Well done

siberian khatru
05-23-2005, 09:02 AM
And don't forget the emperor in V and VI confidently saying over and over how his plan is falling into place just as he foresaw it. Except he failed to foresee Vader picking up his scrawny ass and tossing it down a power shaft.

Stinger
05-23-2005, 09:15 AM

And don't forget the emperor in V and VI confidently saying over and over how his plan is falling into place just as he foresaw it. Except he failed to foresee Vader picking up his scrawny ass and tossing it down a power shaft.

:hmmm:

Not to mention Taco John proclaiming Priest has lost his burst, Shanny is a genious, or last season half way through the season his proclimation that Jake is leading the Bronco to the Superbowl.

donkhater
05-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Well, I saw the movie last night and I thought it was pretty darn good.

I'm a Star Wars fan but not to the extent that I've ever bought any merchandise of any kind. I guess if I was waiting for this movie for 3 years, I'd be a little more critical of it, but I thought it was very good.

In fact, other than the crummy love scenes, I thought the last one was alright as well.

I still don't know what purpose 'The Phantom Menace' served

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
After seeing Anakin kill the younglings, I just can’t see how Yoda and Obi-Wan can nod in greeting to him at the end of Return of the Jedi when they’re all “back from the dead” so to speak. I don’t think that’s something they’d ever get over, even if he did finally betray the EmperorBut, he did "return balance to the force" and fullfilled the prophecy of the chosen one.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 10:21 AM

We've seen what happens when Jedi (Skywalkers in particular) have acted on their visions of the future. Anakin goes batsy and inadvertently causes the death of the person he's trying to save. Luke goes balls to the wall into a trap and ends up getting his ass kicked by Vader.I will go so far as to speculate that the visions of the future were implanted there by the Sith to serve their purposes.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 10:23 AM
And don't forget the emperor in V and VI confidently saying over and over how his plan is falling into place just as he foresaw it. Except he failed to foresee Vader picking up his scrawny ass and tossing it down a power shaft.This was a great dissapointment to me from a "poetic justice" standpoint.

The Emperor deserved a much more heinous demise after a lengthy protracted battle, than the one he got.

Taco John
05-23-2005, 10:27 AM
:hmmm:

Not to mention Taco John proclaiming Priest has lost his burst, Shanny is a genious, or last season half way through the season his proclimation that Jake is leading the Bronco to the Superbowl.

Priest did lose his burst... Also, let's not forget my predictions that merely changing defensive coaces wouldn't improve your defense, and that the Chiefs would be lucky to finish in the top half of the division in 2004.

You win some, you lose some.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Well, I saw the movie last night and I thought it was pretty darn good.

I'm a Star Wars fan but not to the extent that I've ever bought any merchandise of any kind. I guess if I was waiting for this movie for 3 years, I'd be a little more critical of it, but I thought it was very good.

In fact, other than the crummy love scenes, I thought the last one was alright as well.

I still don't know what purpose 'The Phantom Menace' servedBasically, it showed the Emperors ascendency to the Chancelorship and the cloud over the Jedi.

Excellent movie for demonstrating how the Sith operate.

Amnorix
05-23-2005, 10:32 AM
But, he did "return balance to the force" and fullfilled the prophecy of the chosen one.

And this would earn him forgiveness from Obi-Wan and Yoda why?

Adept Havelock
05-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Ummm...because he also destroyed the Sith? No more Master, and the apprentice gave it up. Now there would be only Jedi?

I can't believe I actually just typed that...

Oy.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
And this would earn him forgiveness from Obi-Wan and Yoda why?Dude, you have to understand religion in order to get it I guess.

To betray his evil master, he repented, and forgiveness was his from a free gift of the mete chlorines, lmao, not from the Condescending Yoda.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Priest did lose his burst... Also, let's not forget my predictions that merely changing defensive coaces wouldn't improve your defense, and that the Chiefs would be lucky to finish in the top half of the division in 2004.

You win some, you lose some.I am gonna go out on a limb and predict that the Broncos will suck Dick this year.

Hey, I might be right. ;)

vailpass
05-23-2005, 10:44 AM
God you people are geeks; discussing this kid's movie as though it were real. I'd heard you were out there but had never seen any of you before.
I'll leave you now as I know you don't like to be bothered by outsiders.

Amnorix
05-23-2005, 01:22 PM
God you people are geeks; discussing this kid's movie as though it were real. I'd heard you were out there but had never seen any of you before.
I'll leave you now as I know you don't like to be bothered by outsiders.

You still haven't "seen" us, and God willing we'll never see you.

(hint: accusing others on an Internet BB of being a "geek" is definitely a serious case of people in glass houses...)

Rain Man
05-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I really liked that part of Pulp Fiction where Samuel L. Jackson talked about wandering the earth.

(I'm politely diverting the discussion from Star Wars.)

vailpass
05-23-2005, 01:54 PM
I really liked that part of Pulp Fiction where Samuel L. Jackson talked about wandering the earth.

(I'm politely diverting the discussion from Star Wars.)

"It's the one that says 'Bad Mother$ucker'!"

vailpass
05-23-2005, 01:57 PM

(hint: accusing others on an Internet BB of being a "geek" is definitely a serious case of people in glass houses...)

Talking about a movie made for 10 year olds as though it were real while you rub your yoda through the flap in your Jedi jammies
while on an Internet Sports BB makes you the galactic loser, not me.
May the schwartz be with you.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 01:57 PM

(hint: accusing others on an Internet BB of being a "geek" is definitely a serious case of people in glass houses...)Especially when you have to wonder WHY they opened the thread in the first place. :hmmm:

beer bacon
05-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Talking about a movie made for 10 year olds as though it were real while you rub your yoda through the flap in your Jedi jammies
while on an Internet Sports BB makes you the galactic loser, not me.
May the schwartz be with you.

Is this your first visit to the Chiefsplanet during the off season? I know I have seen you post before, but usually after being here for a week or so most poster's come to understand that only about 1/4th or less of the threads on the top page are actually about football or sports. I am sorry this board is not fitting your requirements for how a proper Internet Sports BB should act.

Additionally, I am afraid you still come off as an ass, rather then the posters in this thread acting like children. If you really wanted to act mature you would have had better manners/self control then to enter this thread for the explicit purpose of being an asshole. If you do not have the willpower or desire to not come in this thread strictly for the purpose of being a jackass, then perhaps you should refrain from questioning the maturity of other posters.

If you want to talk sports then only enter the threads about sports topics. There is no need to to be a little bitch by trolling topics you don't like.

Rain Man
05-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Especially when you have to wonder WHY they opened the thread in the first place. :hmmm:

Is it possible that he read the title and thought this had something to do with the Daunte Culpepper/Randy Moss tiff?

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 02:26 PM
Is this your first visit to the Chiefsplanet during the off season? I know I have seen you post before, but usually after being here for a week or so most poster's come to understand that only about 1/4th or less of the threads on the top page are actually about football or sports. I am sorry this board is not fitting your requirements for how a proper Internet Sports BB should act.

Additionally, I am afraid you still come off as an ass, rather then the posters in this thread acting like children. If you really wanted to act mature you would have had better manners/self control then to enter this thread for the explicit purpose of being an asshole. If you do not have the willpower or desire to not come in this thread strictly for the purpose of being a jackass, then perhaps you should refrain from questioning the maturity of other posters.

If you want to talk sports then only enter the threads about sports topics. There is no need to to be a little bitch by trolling topics you don't like.Rep, because I didn't want to take as much time as you did to put those eloquent thoughts into print. :D

Gravedigger
05-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah you seem to have a vendetta against Yoda. Anakin even said it himself that Yoda was wise and Mace Windu was strong. Nobody can see into the future with any certainty. Yoda in the first episode said clouded this boys future is. And then to prove that nobody can see into the future with any certainty in the original trilogy the emporer "forsees" luke crossing over to the dark side which obviously didnt happen. With all that said yes there were some things that didnt add up or meet certain peoples expectations but that what happens when you originally make a trilogy then go back to explain what happened right before that 30 years later. I didn't like how Yoda was beaten so quickly I think they should have stretched that fight out a bit more if the movie is already two and a half hours long then why not add five more minutes of those two fighting?

vailpass
05-23-2005, 02:45 PM

If you want to talk sports then only enter the threads about sports topics. There is no need to to be a little bitch by trolling topics you don't like.

:clap: Quite a speech there junior. Do you always waste ten dollars worth of words on ten cents worth of subject? I'll say it again: wow cool actual star wars nerds. How pathetic.

siberian khatru
05-23-2005, 02:48 PM
http://libertyfiles.blogspot.com/2005/05/ruminations-of-star-wars-geek.html

Monday, May 23, 2005
Ruminations of a Star Wars Geek

I spent much of the weekend mulling over various inconsistencies within the Star Wars movies, now that the series appears to be complete, as Revenge of the Sith left a few open issues that could not be reconciled on their faces. So then I went to the deuterocanonical sources...the Star Wars novels I read back in the 1990s. And they may provide some insight.

A few issues...

The Death Star was under construction at the end of Episode III, but it appears that it may have taken about 20 years or so to build (Luke and Leia are at least 18 by then, but not much beyond that) which is when it becomes operational and a known threat in the galaxy. But there is a gap of time of about 4 years between Episodes IV and VI, after the Death Star is destroyed and the new one is under construction over Endor. Granted, Death Star II is by no means complete by Episode VI, but it is certainly operational. So how do we get from a 20 year project to one done in about a fifth of the time?

Perhaps construction technology has advanced, but more likely there is an even better answer. In the novels, all Lucas-approved, the Empire has an undiscovered outpost near Kessel (yes, the location of the infamous spice (read "drug") mines) which is located in a gap between a series of black holes in the region called "the Maw". . It's in a series called the "Jedi Academy Series" by Kevin Anderson. The Maw installation contains a fleet of Star Destroyers and at least one Death Star skeleton ready to be built, years after Episode VI. Perhaps there was simultaneous work going on for both Death Star units of Episode IV and VI, as we know that the structure of Death Star II is significantly larger that Death Star I. The skeleton may have been just dragged out for construction at Endor. The Emperor probably moved it there (rather than being in the relative safety of the Maw) so that the Rebels would find it an attractive target and thereby lure their fleet into a trap.

Of course, in his cockiness, the Emperor, like the Jedi in the first three episodes, believed what he wanted to see when saw visions of the future, and the rest is history.

But the whole "prefab" notion of the Death Star may be a decent explanation.

Another problem is Leia's memories of her mother in Return of the Jedi that do not comport with Padme's death in Revenge of the Sith. I have early memories, but I find it hard to believe that memories of birth stay with you. But remember this: Padme's funeral was of the open casket variety. Also, she still appeared pregnant, which is an obvious ruse for the benefit of Vader and the Emperor and the protection of Luke & Leia. But if that was faked, is it possible that Padme didn't die at all, but rather went to Alderaan to care for Leia, and then later dying from the broken heart which seems to be the case in Sith? She possibly would have avoided Tattooine for fear of being seen and/or the memories of Anakin's start towards the dark side after the death of Shmi Skywalker.

It's all a bunch of conjecture, of course, and I should not have to do Lucas' explaining for him, as he has had years to turn these movies into perfectly consistent works, given his plenary creative control over them. But it's an explanation anyway. Please forgive this disturbing display of useless knowledge.

posted by Lawjedi at 11:55 AM

beer bacon
05-23-2005, 03:01 PM
:clap: Quite a speech there junior. Do you always waste ten dollars worth of words on ten cents worth of subject? I'll say it again: wow cool actual star wars nerds. How pathetic.

Oh just shut the **** up.

Eh, I couldn't resist. A condescending asshole Broncos fan? I guess there is a first for everything.

jynni
05-23-2005, 03:01 PM
But there is a gap of time of about 4 years between Episodes IV and VI, after the Death Star is destroyed and the new one is under construction over Endor. Granted, Death Star II is by no means complete by Episode VI, but it is certainly operational. So how do we get from a 20 year project to one done in about a fifth of the time?

This is a major fanwank, but perhaps they were building them at the same time? They liked their design so much they began construction on the second before the first was finished.

This would explain why they were stupid enough to build a second one when the first was destroyed pretty easily. If it was already half done, they figured that they could just modify some of the defenses (added the deflector shield etc) instead of scrapping it altogether.

beer bacon
05-23-2005, 03:04 PM
This is a major fanwank, but perhaps they were building them at the same time? They liked their design so much they began construction on the second before the first was finished.

This would explain why they were stupid enough to build a second one when the first was destroyed pretty easily. If it was already half done, they figured that they could just modify some of the defenses (added the deflector shield etc) instead of scrapping it altogether.

I read somewhere that the two Death Stars were actually started at the same time, but the second one was actually bigger and better. Because of this, it took longer to finish. This was posted at another board in a thread similar to this one so take it with a grain of salt.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 03:41 PM

This would explain why they were stupid enough to build a second one when the first was destroyed pretty easily. If it was already half done, they figured that they could just modify some of the defenses (added the deflector shield etc) instead of scrapping it altogether.I estimate that the age of Obi in III(Ewan McGregor) to be about 35. Luke in Ep IV to be about 18, so 18 + 35 = a 53 year old Alec Guiness??? Not. :p

BTW, Mark Hamil is rooting for episode 7, he is now old enough to play a "master Jedi".

Hammock Parties
05-23-2005, 03:49 PM
I estimate that the age of Obi in III(Ewan McGregor) to be about 35. Luke in Ep IV to be about 18, so 18 + 35 = a 53 year old Alec Guiness??? Not. :p

Obi-Wan is 39 in Episode III. That makes him 57 in Episode IV. Alec Guinness was approximately 60 during the filming of Episode IV.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Obi-Wan is 39 in Episode III. That makes him 57 in Episode IV. Alec Guinness was approximately 60 during the filming of Episode IV.

That old "fossil" was stumbling arround like a 70 year old.

Hammock Parties
05-23-2005, 04:07 PM
That old "fossil" was stumbling arround like a 70 year old.

Living in the desert for 18 years will do that to you.

DJay23
05-23-2005, 04:08 PM
http://libertyfiles.blogspot.com/2005/05/ruminations-of-star-wars-geek.html

Monday, May 23, 2005
Ruminations of a Star Wars Geek

I spent much of the weekend mulling over various inconsistencies within the Star Wars movies, now that the series appears to be complete, as Revenge of the Sith left a few open issues that could not be reconciled on their faces. So then I went to the deuterocanonical sources...the Star Wars novels I read back in the 1990s. And they may provide some insight.

A few issues...

The Death Star was under construction at the end of Episode III, but it appears that it may have taken about 20 years or so to build (Luke and Leia are at least 18 by then, but not much beyond that) which is when it becomes operational and a known threat in the galaxy. But there is a gap of time of about 4 years between Episodes IV and VI, after the Death Star is destroyed and the new one is under construction over Endor. Granted, Death Star II is by no means complete by Episode VI, but it is certainly operational. So how do we get from a 20 year project to one done in about a fifth of the time?

Perhaps construction technology has advanced, but more likely there is an even better answer. In the novels, all Lucas-approved, the Empire has an undiscovered outpost near Kessel (yes, the location of the infamous spice (read "drug") mines) which is located in a gap between a series of black holes in the region called "the Maw". . It's in a series called the "Jedi Academy Series" by Kevin Anderson. The Maw installation contains a fleet of Star Destroyers and at least one Death Star skeleton ready to be built, years after Episode VI. Perhaps there was simultaneous work going on for both Death Star units of Episode IV and VI, as we know that the structure of Death Star II is significantly larger that Death Star I. The skeleton may have been just dragged out for construction at Endor. The Emperor probably moved it there (rather than being in the relative safety of the Maw) so that the Rebels would find it an attractive target and thereby lure their fleet into a trap.

Of course, in his cockiness, the Emperor, like the Jedi in the first three episodes, believed what he wanted to see when saw visions of the future, and the rest is history.

But the whole "prefab" notion of the Death Star may be a decent explanation.

Another problem is Leia's memories of her mother in Return of the Jedi that do not comport with Padme's death in Revenge of the Sith. I have early memories, but I find it hard to believe that memories of birth stay with you. But remember this: Padme's funeral was of the open casket variety. Also, she still appeared pregnant, which is an obvious ruse for the benefit of Vader and the Emperor and the protection of Luke & Leia. But if that was faked, is it possible that Padme didn't die at all, but rather went to Alderaan to care for Leia, and then later dying from the broken heart which seems to be the case in Sith? She possibly would have avoided Tattooine for fear of being seen and/or the memories of Anakin's start towards the dark side after the death of Shmi Skywalker.

It's all a bunch of conjecture, of course, and I should not have to do Lucas' explaining for him, as he has had years to turn these movies into perfectly consistent works, given his plenary creative control over them. But it's an explanation anyway. Please forgive this disturbing display of useless knowledge.

posted by Lawjedi at 11:55 AM

This dude is thinking waaaaayy too hard about all this.

Calcountry
05-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Living in the desert for 18 years will do that to you.Having to put up with Owen Lars will make you into the Dork that Luke was too. ;)