PDA

View Full Version : cali city pulling out of stadium bid

Mr. Laz
05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Carson, Calif., won't bid for NFL stadium
May 23, 2005

CARSON, Calif. -- The city of Carson is passing on its bid for an NFL stadium, leaving three sites in the greater Los Angeles area being considered for a team by the league.

Instead, city officials said they will concentrate on developing a massive retail outlet on a 157-acre property between two freeways.

The three possible remaining sites in the area for an NFL club are: a parking lot next to Angel Stadium in Anaheim, the Los Angeles Coliseum and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

The area has been without an NFL franchise since the Rams left Anaheim for St. Louis and the Raiders left Los Angeles for Oakland before the 1995 season.

"We looked at a financial assessment of how much revenue comes into the city with a mega mall as opposed to an NFL football stadium and a small mall," Mayor Jim Dear said. "The stadium will open only eight games a year as compared to 365 days a year with a mega mall."

With the NFL stadium out of the way, Dear said city officials now will try to find tenants for the mall at a Las Vegas convention this week.

BigRedChief
05-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Rose Bowl and the Coliseum? Nadda chance. Not enough suites.

Disney is the only player left unless Oracle's CEO decides to spend some of his billions and build new.

jspchief
05-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Rose Bowl and the Coliseum? Nadda chance. Not enough suites.

Disney is the only player left unless Oracle's CEO decides to spend some of his billions and build new.Those are the sites. I believe the plan is to tear down the existing stadium and build a new one on the site.

BigRedChief
05-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Those are the sites. I believe the plan is to tear down the existing stadium and build a new one on the site.
Tear down the coliseum or the rose bowl stadium. I don't see it happening. Why? for a new NFL stadium that nobody cares about?

no frigging way.

jspchief
05-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Tear down the coliseum or the rose bowl stadium. I don't see it happening. Why? for a new NFL stadium that nobody cares about?

no frigging way.No one is going to move into a 30 year old stadium. If LA wants a team bad enough, and the NFL wants a team in LA bad enough, getting a new stadium will happen.

bogie
05-23-2005, 01:20 PM

no frigging way.

I don't get it, why do people think nobody cares about the NFL out here? Every team has left here because the venues they play in suck. Not because the community doesn't care. Isn't this the same reason the Chiefs may leave KC.

BigRedChief
05-23-2005, 01:24 PM
I don't get it, why do people think nobody cares about the NFL out here? Every team has left here because the venues they play in suck. Not because the community doesn't care. Isn't this the same reason the Chiefs may leave KC.
Yeah right. :shake: It's all to blame on the venue. Nothing to do with the calfornia blaise attitude towards the NFL huh? Sure there are millions of NFL fans out there in LA but the bottom line is that they would rather watch a NFL doubleheader on TV rather than face a blackout.

My ass is out there in the ice, rain etc. You can't get that passion in the stands from a LA crowd.

shaneo69
05-23-2005, 01:27 PM
If LA wants a team bad enough, and the NFL wants a team in LA bad enough, getting a new stadium will happen.

It didn't happen when the city was awarded an expansion team four years ago. What makes you think anything's changed since then?

jspchief
05-23-2005, 01:34 PM
30? Aren't they both 80+?I didn't realize the Coliseum was that old. Either way, my point stands. If they want to get it done, it will be nothing to tear one of them down to build a new stadium. I'm sure the value of the land alone makes it viable.

bogie
05-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah right. :shake: It's all to blame on the venue. Nothing to do with the calfornia blaise attitude towards the NFL huh? Sure there are millions of NFL fans out there in LA but the bottom line is that they would rather watch a NFL doubleheader on TV rather than face a blackout.

My ass is out there in the ice, rain etc. You can't get that passion in the stands from a LA crowd.

So, because we have good weather we have no passion for the game? Have you ever been to a game in LA?

BigRedChief
05-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Not only is the LA Coliseum over 80 years old, but apparently it's a federal landmark.

http://www.lacoliseum.com/start.html

I'm guessing that might be a minor roadblock to leveling it.

And the Rose Bowl has been playing there since 1902 and has over 32 voluntary committes that run the non profit organization that runs the game and parade. It ain't going anywhere either.

jspchief
05-23-2005, 01:40 PM
It didn't happen when the city was awarded an expansion team four years ago. What makes you think anything's changed since then?I don't know. Why does the city of LA and the NFL still think it will happen? Obviously they think something has changed, or there wouldn't be a bidding war to get the stadium.

It's clear the NFL wants a team there. It appears LA wants a team there too. Do you think a stadium is going to be what kills the deal? If everything else gets done, the stadium will be a small hurdle. I don'tthink they'll have any problem tearing down an old structure to build a new one.

As far as success, I'm skeptical. I'm not convinced that LA citizens will support the team very well. I'd go into detail, but Bogie would jump my ass for making generalizations that 99% of the planet agree with.

BigRedChief
05-23-2005, 01:42 PM
So, because we have good weather we have no passion for the game? Have you ever been to a game in LA?

No you don't. Not you personally of course I'm speaking in general of the LA populace. Weather has nothing to do with it. It's a passion thing. Maybe if I could go to the beach every Sunday instead of Arrowhead I'd make that choice too.:hmmm:

bogie
05-23-2005, 01:44 PM
I don't know. Why does the city of LA and the NFL still think it will happen? Obviously they think something has changed, or there wouldn't be a bidding war to get the stadium.

It's clear the NFL wants a team there. It appears LA wants a team there too. Do you think a stadium is going to be what kills the deal? If everything else gets done, the stadium will be a small hurdle. I don'tthink they'll have any problem tearing down an old structure to build a new one.

As far as success, I'm skeptical. I'm not convinced that LA citizens will support the team very well. I'd go into detail, but Bogie would jump my ass for making generalizations that 99% of the planet agree with.

99%, at least you didn't say all. :)

jspchief
05-23-2005, 01:45 PM
I think there'd be outrage at the suggestion of tearing down either of them. 80 years is a lot of history. I'm thinking there's a significant number of people who take that seriously.That's possible. It would seem to make sense that if they were lobbying to get an NFL team at one of those sites, in the very least they would be planning on doing some major remodeling. I don't see LA keeping two dumpy old stadiums that sit empty, while trying to find good land to build a new one. I suppose the Anaheim parking lot will be at an advantage in that respect though.

Skip Towne
05-23-2005, 01:47 PM
30? Aren't they both 80+?
The Rose Bowl was built in 1922. And the Christians fought the lions in the other one so that had to be a long time ago.

jspchief
05-23-2005, 01:51 PM
I would assume so, as well.

USC plays at the Coliseum. UCLA plays at the Rose Bowl. And, of course, the Rose Bowl game is there every year. Not to mention various other events throughout the year. Just because neither is hosting an NFL team at present doesn't mean they're going unused and unmaintained.Meh. I had no idea those college teams were still playing there. I blame the media and the time zones. I'm going to go ahead and drop this topic, now that I've clearly demonstrated my ignorance on the subject. :banghead:

Skip Towne
05-23-2005, 01:53 PM
I don't know. Why does the city of LA and the NFL still think it will happen? Obviously they think something has changed, or there wouldn't be a bidding war to get the stadium.

I'll bet you can't get 99% of the Planet to agree on anything.

BigRedChief
05-23-2005, 01:53 PM
I'm going to go ahead and drop this topic, now that I've clearly demonstrated my ignorance on the subject. :banghead:

Since when did ignorance on a subject become exclusionary to posting opinions on a thread? :hmmm: I'd never post here then.:shake:

jspchief
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Since when did ignorance on a subject become exclusionary to posting opinions on a thread? :hmmm: I'd never post here then.:shake:You make a good point. Maybe I'll just neg rep Endelt for pointing out my ignorance instead. :)

shaneo69
05-23-2005, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=jspchief]I don't know. Why does the city of LA and the NFL still think it will happen? Obviously they think something has changed, or there wouldn't be a bidding war to get the stadium.

It's clear the NFL wants a team there. It appears LA wants a team there too. Do you think a stadium is going to be what kills the deal? If everything else gets done, the stadium will be a small hurdle. I don't think they'll have any problem tearing down an old structure to build a new one.[QUOTE]

IMO, the NFL is doing this because several cities, especially New Orleans, are not doing anything to keep their teams. Indy is working on a new stadium, Minnesota is trying to get a new stadium, KC wants a new/refurbished stadium. If LA can get a stadium built, the owners in these cities will have a legitimate option should they not get a new stadium in their current cities. Right now, these owners like Benson, Irsay, and Hunt have no real options, other than selling their team like McCombs is doing.

The stadium situation in LA is no small hurdle. It's the only thing that killed their expansion team four years ago.

And when the LA site finalist list eventually is whittled down to only a renovated Coliseum, you will know that LA has screwed the pooch once again.

jspchief
05-23-2005, 02:03 PM
IMO, the NFL is doing this because several cities, especially New Orleans, are not doing anything to keep their teams. Indy is working on a new stadium, Minnesota is trying to get a new stadium, KC wants a new/refurbished stadium. If LA can get a stadium built, the owners in these cities will have a legitimate option should they not get a new stadium in their current cities. Right now, these owners like Benson, Irsay, and Hunt have no real options, other than selling their team like McCombs is doing.

The stadium situation in LA is no small hurdle. It's the only thing that killed their expansion team four years ago.

And when the LA site finalist list eventually is whittled down to only a renovated Coliseum, you will know that LA has screwed the pooch once again.I agree with your first paragraph to a certain extent. I believe the NFL wants to help it's owners get state of the art facilities, and the looming threat of an eager LA is an effective tool. The threat of taking your team elsewhere packs a lot more punch if there's a legit player wanting that team.

At the same time, I don't think the NFL is going to jerk LA around, just to get stadiums in other cities. If LA actually meets their end of the bargain, I can't see the NFL backing off. At some point LA is going to get all of their ducks in a row, and the threat is going to become more than just a threat for some city.

whoman69
05-23-2005, 05:12 PM
The Coliseum was built in 1932 for the Olympics.