PDA

View Full Version : NFT: Computer gaming

Coach
05-23-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm just curious to know what type of computer games you currently own. For example, here are a few of mine.

Hearts of Iron
Hearts of Iron 2
Empire Earth II
Axis & Allies
Leisure Suit Larry(TM) - Magna Cum Laude uncensored
Sim City 2000, 3000, and 4000
Panzer General 3D Assault

From your list of the games you own, which one(s) do you play more often than the other games? I would have to say that Hearts of Iron 2 and Leisure Suit Larry are the games that I play most often.

Finally, name a few games that you would like to (or going to) purchase soon? I guess the game called "Gary Grigsby's World at War". It looks similar to HOI, just some difference. I might be thinking about getting this game.

Discuss.

Scorp
05-23-2005, 06:04 PM
http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp

No other war game even comes close.

Bob Dole
05-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Leisure Suit Larry. (The original 4-color CGA version)

KcMizzou
05-23-2005, 06:12 PM
World of Warcraft
Warcraft III
Neverwinter Nights
Baldur's Gate II
Age of Mythology
Dungeon Seige

That's all I can think of at the moment. I haven't played much of anything but World of Warcraft since I got it. (Other than God of War on the PS2)

Rain Man
05-23-2005, 06:14 PM
How do you like the computer version of Axis and Allies, coach?

If I had time to fully learn Hearts of Iron, I'd challenge you to an online game. As it stands, I've forgotten what little I've learned from playing it.

Hammock Parties
05-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Too many to name. I've been collecting PC games since the mid 90s.

Currently I only play Madden and MVP Baseball.

Jenson71
05-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Age of Empires
Call of Duty
Sim City 4

Don't play them anymore, but I did and I loved them.

Coach
05-23-2005, 06:21 PM
How do you like the computer version of Axis and Allies, coach?

If I had time to fully learn Hearts of Iron, I'd challenge you to an online game. As it stands, I've forgotten what little I've learned from playing it.

The Axis and Allies was pretty good, but for some reason, it just doesn't seem appealing to me. I guess the years of playing the old traditional Windows 95 of Panzer General and PlayStation 1 game of Allied General is what really attracted to me into Hearts of Iron and HOI 2.

I would be honored to take the challenge of playing HOI or HOI 2. As I said on my PM, HOI 2 is a very challenging game with so many things occuring at once that I had to go at a game speed of slow to below normal just to keep up. If you ever got the time to instant message on AIM or Yahoo about the tricks of the game or just basics stuff, let me know. I'm more than honored to help you out.

I wonder if anyone ever tried the "World at War" game. :hmmm:

ChiefFripp
05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Battlefield 2 comes out on June 27th, and it will be the only video game you will ever need.

htismaqe
05-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Looks like you're into strategy games.

I suggest you check out World War I by 1C.

http://int.games.1c.ru/ww1/

I've been playing the hell out of Kingdom Under Fire - the Crusaders for XBox.

Coach
05-23-2005, 08:08 PM

I am into Strategy games big time. Even own a few WW2 games on the old playstation game (Panzer General and Allied General)

I never played any WW I games. There is several things that I wish gaming software people would create a game where the World can start at a certain age, like for example, start at 0 A.D and go forward to however long your country can survive. There were times like in Hearts of Iron, when I completed the time frame alloted (Which was starting at Jan 1 1936 to Dec 30 1947) where there were times that I was cussing out at the game, becuase I wanted for it to continue on until I want peace or dominate the whole world, or just be killed.

Coach
05-23-2005, 08:10 PM

And by looking at those photos that link provided, it looks similar to the Empire Earth II and so on.

jspchief
05-23-2005, 08:20 PM
I have WoW sitting in a box next to my computer that doesn't have the specs to handle it. I plan on buying or building a new rig this summer.

I pretty much quit playing PC games because I grew tired of updating my PC to keep up.

Here's what I used to play a lot of:
Baldur's Gate 2
Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal
Icewind Dale and expansions
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Fallout Tactics
Warcraft 3
Age of Empires and all the expansions

Wrasse
05-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't play many games at the moment...too busy...

But I own quite a few and here are some:

Neverwinter Nights
Age of Mythology/Kings/Empires
Dungeon Siege
Rise of Nations
C&C (all of them)
Temple of Elemental Evil
Half-Life 2 / Counterstrike Source
Battlefield

MMOs:

City of Heroes
World of Warcraft
EQ2
...among others...all accounts cancelled due to the time sinks that they all are and the complete lack of innovation in the genre at this time (other than CoH which was fun until it became too repetitive).

Looking forward to Battlefield 2, Age of Empires III and Dungeons and Dragons Online...oh and finishing my house remodeling project so I can freakin' play again.

** sobs **

4th and Long
05-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights
Me Three!

KCWolfman
05-23-2005, 08:26 PM
I have about 80 games going all the way back to Might and Magic III and as current as KOTR II and GuildWars.

Am currently playing GW to a greater degree. I like that it is an MMORPG that I need no outside assistance to continue. I also like that I can play a game with my son from 20 miles away.

I go back to very few games after completion, but I do love Thief and have played it multiple times.

jspchief
05-23-2005, 08:29 PM
I have about 80 games going all the way back to Might and Magic III and as current as KOTR II and GuildWars.

Am currently playing GW to a greater degree. I like that it is an MMORPG that I need no outside assistance to continue. I also like that I can play a game with my son from 20 miles away.

I go back to very few games after completion, but I do love Thief and have played it multiple times.I played Baldurs Gate SoA and the expansions several times to try new character classes.

I played a free demo of Guild Wars a year or two ago, and was pretty impressed. It's another on my list if I ever get a new PC.

HC_Chief
05-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Battlefield 2 comes out on June 27th, and it will be the only video game you will ever need.

heh

No doubt it will be one bad mofo. Prepare yourself, for HC is coming, and he's manning a AH-64, fully loaded :D

Loki
05-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I am into Strategy games big time. Even own a few WW2 games on the old playstation game (Panzer General and Allied General)

I never played any WW I games. There is several things that I wish gaming software people would create a game where the World can start at a certain age, like for example, start at 0 A.D and go forward to however long your country can survive. There were times like in Hearts of Iron, when I completed the time frame alloted (Which was starting at Jan 1 1936 to Dec 30 1947) where there were times that I was cussing out at the game, becuase I wanted for it to continue on until I want peace or dominate the whole world, or just be killed.

heh... i still play that playstation panzer general game from time to time.
the AI is pretty good at exploiting weaknesses in your battle lines. there
was another game on the sega system of that era called iron storm. that
was a cool game as well.

ever seen or played fallout tactics coach? it's old, but pretty dang cool
if you're into squad level tactics.

i pretty much like strategy games as well, but haven't found anything
that holds my interest or that offers a REAL challenge. i thought that
medieval total war and rome total war were pretty good, but stopped
playing them as it became less and less challenging.

now i just pretty much play FPS games like:
call of duty, unreal tournament, battlefield 1942 and desert combat.

jspchief
05-23-2005, 08:44 PM

I loved Fallout Tactics. I wish they would make more tactics style games in that fashion. Great game!

Loki
05-23-2005, 08:51 PM
I loved Fallout Tactics. I wish they would make more tactics style games in that fashion. Great game!

yeah... it was fun.

driving around the wastelands blasting sh*t with all the extra 9mm
ammo... ahhh those were the days.

seriously though, the tactical part of the game was great. if your
troopers were set up properly, you could pretty much hammer any
group (except for the robots... dang those were tough untill you got
laser weapons...) without a problem.

i think rescuing dagger squad from the supermutants was the best
mission. lots of cool weapons to find, and plenty of ammo. nice.

bring on the super mutants... i need some more 50 cal ammo! ;)

Coach
05-23-2005, 08:52 PM
heh... i still play that playstation panzer general game from time to time.
the AI is pretty good at exploiting weaknesses in your battle lines. there
was another game on the sega system of that era called iron storm. that
was a cool game as well.

i pretty much like strategy games as well, but haven't found anything
that holds my interest or that offers a REAL challenge. i thought that
medieval total war and rome total war were pretty good, but stopped
playing them as it became less and less challenging.

now i just pretty much play FPS games like:
call of duty, unreal tournament, battlefield 1942 and desert combat.

Yeah, I loved Panzer General. The first time I started playing it was a PC game where it had 4 disks that you can just simply install it to your computer and play it. Unfortunately, they don't work properly when you play it on XP for some reason (or in my case).

I never seen Fallout Tactics. I might have to check it out. Can you give me a rundown on what it is?

Have you ever played Hearts of Iron I and or II? It's very similar to Panzer General/Allied General, only this time there is no limited number of troops/manpower you can have. It also has the ecomonic side as well, and you basically can attack anyone whoever you wish, unlike Panzer General which goes by the traditional way of WW 2.

HemiEd
05-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Pong!

Otter
05-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I play Call of Duty pretty regularly. Nice combination of strategey and action. Just don't have the patience for long-term strategy games, I always lose interest after a couple weeks.

Game is especially neat when you get clans together for a match and you're playing with a bunch of guys who know how to play as a team and win.

KC2004
05-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Call of Duty
Half-Life 2
Counter Strike Source / Condition Zero / 1.6
Day of Defeat
Star Wars Galaxies
Return to Castle Wolfenstien: Enemy Territory (Free Stand Alone)

Iowanian
05-23-2005, 09:14 PM
Speaking of PC games.....

I've been thinking of posting something for the gamers, who have some relatively new games they don't play...I'd like to send a box with a few PC games to Iraq. My brother said there are alot of guys with laptops. He said if I were to send some games over, he'd share them with some friends and put them in the lounge, or whatever they call it, where guys put stuff for others to use...puzzles, games etc.

PM me if interested.

KcMizzou
05-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Speaking of PC games.....

I've been thinking of posting something for the gamers, who have some relatively new games they don't play...I'd like to send a box with a few PC games to Iraq. My brother said there are alot of guys with laptops. He said if I were to send some games over, he'd share them with some friends and put them in the lounge, or whatever they call it, where guys put stuff for others to use...puzzles, games etc.

PM me if interested. I'd be in for sure. Hope some of the guys like RPG's though...

Jenson71
05-23-2005, 09:26 PM
I'd be in for sure. Hope some of the guys like RPG's though...

I better they're pretty good at first person shooters.

KcMizzou
05-23-2005, 09:29 PM
I bet they're pretty good at first person shooters.Heh... true.

I imagine an RPG has entirely different meaning over there.

Jenson71
05-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Heh... true.

I imagine an RPG has entirely different meaning over there.

Okay, what's an RPG?

Iowanian
05-23-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't know if they're into RPG(a whole new meaning over there)

He told me that whatever I send(not games...with anything..snacks et al) that if HE does like it, he knows someone who will.

I do know they play alot of some game called Halo.

Iowanian
05-23-2005, 09:37 PM
RPG- Rocket propelled Grenade

Jenson71
05-23-2005, 09:38 PM
RPG- Rocket propelled Grenade

But, the computer game term...

KcMizzou
05-23-2005, 09:39 PM
But, the computer game term...Role playing game... i.e. Diablo, Baldur's gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc.

Otter
05-23-2005, 09:41 PM
I have Far Cry and Splinter Cell laying around that are doing nothing but collecting dust.

If it would help make the troops a little happier I'd be happy to send them to you.

Jenson71
05-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh, Grand Theft Auto. :)

Coach
05-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Oh, almost forgot. Duke Nukem games that I have on the old PC that is sitting on the shelf that hasn't been used for several years.

Loki
05-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I loved Panzer General. The first time I started playing it was a PC game where it had 4 disks that you can just simply install it to your computer and play it. Unfortunately, they don't work properly when you play it on XP for some reason (or in my case).

I never seen Fallout Tactics. I might have to check it out. Can you give me a rundown on what it is?

Have you ever played Hearts of Iron I and or II? It's very similar to Panzer General/Allied General, only this time there is no limited number of troops/manpower you can have. It also has the ecomonic side as well, and you basically can attack anyone whoever you wish, unlike Panzer General which goes by the traditional way of WW 2.

wow... a rundown on fallout tactics. here's the "official" rundown:

Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel is a squad-based, third-person tactical combat game. Set in the post-apocalyptic world of the award-winning Fallout universe, players join in the Brotherhood of Steel as they travel through 20 tactical missions, attempting to overcome a powerful new enemy. Players will work toward developing their squads' specialized skills and improve their stats as they utilize squad-based skirmish techniques to survive battles. In multiplayer mode, 36 characters can be onscreen at one time with up to 18 gamers playing at once.

call it a cross between RPG, strategy, tactics and an arcade style
shooter. you run a squad of soldiers, can hire and fire squad members
and can add points to your soldier's abilities (stealth, sniping, weapons,
hand to hand combat, melee weapons, boobytraps, small arms, driving,
etc etc...) after each mission as they gain experience.
you can scavenge weapons, ammo, armor, and various other items for
sale, trade or to keep for your squad.
each mission is different. ranging from hostage release, tactical raids,
special item retrieval etc etc. some are easy, some are extremely
difficult and require a LOT of pre and in-mission planning as the
enemy forces keep getting tougher and smarter.
not only are there mission to complete, but the game map itself is a
wasteland that can be explored with random encounters and "side
missions" that are somewhat humorous in nature (those wacky game
programmers...) but will gain both experience and sometimes special
items or weapons needed to complete "bonus" type missions inside
the standard missions.

i've played through the game at least 3 times, and it holds a place
of honor in my "keep" pile. i actually loaded it up about 6 months
ago and ran through it again. the replay value on the game is right
up there. though the missions are the same per sae, it is still fun to
run through them and try a weaker weapon or something like that...
just to keep it interesting. ;)

keep in mind the game is older (circa 2001?) so i believe the company
that made it has been bought out or gone... regardless, there are links
out there to reviews and screenshots etc...
LINKY (http://pc.ign.com/objects/014/014875.html)

check it out.

ps: pretty sure there is a demo out there you can DL, but you'll have
to look around for it...

Coach
05-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks Loki. I'm sure that there are some of the games laying around on e-bay or amazon that I could probably search for.

Loki
05-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks Loki. I'm sure that there are some of the games laying around on e-bay or amazon that I could probably search for.

no problem dude. fallout tactics was an underrated game IMO.

here it is on amazon, with good reviews:
fallout tactics (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000059O8B/qid=1116907602/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-vg/002-8157555-1920024?v=glance&s=videogames&n=468642)

Iowanian
05-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Those of you with huge Coconuts who've already stepped up...I really appreciate what you're doing.

If you happen to have any good paperbacks, they're also popular if you wanted to toss a couple in.

Thanks alot.

KCWolfman
05-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Those of you with huge Coconuts who've already stepped up...I really appreciate what you're doing.

If you happen to have any good paperbacks, they're also popular if you wanted to toss a couple in.

Thanks alot.
Done. I have plenty of both.

Give me your addy again in a private message.

Coach
05-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh, anyone also tried Secret Weapons over Normandy? That one is also fun to play.

KC Jones
05-24-2005, 07:27 AM
I really only play two games now and it's pretty rare that I have time for either of them.

They are:

NWN - Never Winter Nights
Savage: Battle for Newerth Savage on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008JOLZ/qid=1116940893/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-vg/104-3708696-6530344?v=glance&s=videogames&n=468642)

Savage is 2 years old now, but it was/is a groundbreaking game that combines FPS and RTS. There's a small community of players (a few gundred or so) that have continued releasing patches and such for the game. It's also now available for free now - you'll have to hunt around for the CD iso on one of the clan sites and use all zeros for the cd key. It's even with the developers blessing that the iso is being hosted for free.

Iowanian
05-24-2005, 08:31 AM
quick note to those sending stuff.
1. Thanks
2. If there are duplicates, and or more than I think its fair to send 1 unit, I plan on sending a box to another unit. I think I'll try to find a deployed planet member, or a family member of a planet member in Iraq and send them a box too. If you're a canidate for that....send me a PM with who it is, and APO. I hope everyone donating finds that acceptable.

Swanman
05-24-2005, 08:44 AM
For those into RTS games, I'd have to recommend Lord of the Rings - Battle for Middle Earth. It's a typical Command and Conquer style RTS (gather resources, build units, build bases, etc.) but it employs all the characters from the LOTR movies. I've completed the Evil campaign and am about 3/4 the way through the good campaign. Most of the levels are simple conquer the map-type missions but there are also stages based on events in the movies, like Helm's Deep, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, etc.

Half-Life II is also an amazing game. It's definitely the best first-person shooter I've played.

Megbert
05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
WoW!! There is no other!!!!!

chagrin
05-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Baldur's Gate Expansion Pack
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale II
Diablo
Diablo II