PDA

View Full Version : listening to grunhard about the stadium

skky man
05-24-2005, 09:14 AM
was listening to 610 on my way home and Grunhard basically said the chiefs want a new stadium or renovate because of the luxury suites that go for 200,000 as opposed to the common fan. He also added that money doesn't go to the NFL it goes directly to the chiefs organization. Makes a lot of sense I was they wanted more suites but didn't really know about the money!

Edubs
05-24-2005, 09:21 AM
was listening to 610 on my way home and Grunhard basically said the chiefs want a new stadium or renovate because of the luxury suites that go for 200,000 as opposed to the common fan. He also added that money doesn't go to the NFL it goes directly to the chiefs organization. Makes a lot of sense I was they wanted more suites but didn't really know about the money!

Do they have streaming like 810?

Hoover
05-24-2005, 09:26 AM
a sky Box at Principal Park in Des Moines (AAA Cubs team) Goes for 19K a season.

It is all about Money, and thats not bad.

More money, is good for the org, and good for us fans. More cash coming in for boxes means more cash to sign FAs.

morphius
05-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Of course I thought it was odd that Lamar was saying last year that luxery boxes were not an issue because he didn't feel that their were enough big businesses in KC that would fill them, and now that is all you hear about.

Skip Towne
05-24-2005, 09:36 AM
a sky Box at Principal Park in Des Moines (AAA Cubs team) Goes for 19K a season.

It is all about Money, and thats not bad.

More money, is good for the org, and good for us fans. More cash coming in for boxes means more cash to sign FAs.
Yeah, and it will allow the org to lower ticket prices for us commoners.

beer bacon
05-24-2005, 09:39 AM
I want to punch Grunhard in the face. I mean this figuratively, of course.

Dartgod
05-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Sure, once you have paid your PSL.

Hoover
05-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Um that will never happen. But the team is a business and if you don't want boxes thats fine but the team will find that money elsewhere, I think right now they try to make some of it up with parking.

I think taking Arrowhead and dowing what Green Bay did would be great for the team, the city and the fans.

morphius
05-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Sure, once you have paid your PSL.
That should be one of the stipulations in a new stadium, the club is not allowed to ask for anything along the lines of a PSL. Assuming it comes to that.

skky man
05-24-2005, 09:46 AM
10,000 fans at avg of $100 a ticket=1,000,000
8 suites at 200,000 =1,600,000 was a point grunhard made

beer bacon
05-24-2005, 09:48 AM
10,000 fans at avg of $100 a ticket=1,000,000
8 suites at 200,000 =1,600,000 was a point grunhard made

In addition, I think the owners have to fork over 60% of the regular fan seats to the players, but the profit from suites is not included. The owners get to pocket it all.

skky man
05-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Didn't know that at all.

htismaqe
Kansas City has two issues.

1) They don't have enough luxury boxes.

2) They don't have enough corporate population to fill them.

shaneo69
In addition, I think the owners have to fork over 60% of the regular fan seats to the players, but the profit from suites is not included. The owners get to pocket it all.

Not for long.

skky man
05-24-2005, 09:53 AM
I don't have all the answers but I know this chiefs need to stay in KC. It's part of the cities personality

Hoover
05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Its not just Pocket, it lets the team give out more money in Signing Bonuses ect. More money = Biger Signign Bonuses = Better Players = Better team = Better Record = More Playoff Games = More Chances for a Super Bowl = Happy Fans

HemiEd
05-24-2005, 09:56 AM
I think taking Arrowhead and dowing what Green Bay did would be great for the team, the city and the fans.

My thoughts exactly! I have been to two games up there, one before and one after. The "before" was hideous. The improvement is amazing, I fail to see why anyone would need more than that. It is really nice now, first rate.

Hoover
Plus we all bitch and whine that we want to be more like the Pats, Philly, ect. They have new stadiums, which make more money for the teams. Its time to step up folks.

skky man
good point

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 09:59 AM

That's exactly Bob Dole's major issue with the whole "a big new stadium will fix it all" approach in a small market. A big new stadium with luxury suites might "fix" things in a major market, but a big new stadium with EMPTY luxury suites in KC fixes nothing.

BigRedChief
05-24-2005, 09:59 AM

NFL=Not For Long

Suite money counting against the cap = Increased Cap $'s = Increased players salries

The next CBA you can bet the players are going to go to war to get the suit money split among owners or get the total suite money to count against the cap doesn't matter to them as long as suite money counts against the cap.

Hoover
05-24-2005, 10:01 AM
That's exactly Bob Dole's major issue with the whole "a big new stadium will fix it all" approach in a small market. A big new stadium with luxury suites might "fix" things in a major market, but a big new stadium with EMPTY luxury suites in KC fixes nothing.
There will not be any empty boxes, trust me. If Principal Park can sell 30 boxes at 19K a pop in Des Moines for Minor League BB, I'm sure the Chiefs will be fine. Hell are their emptys in Green Bay?

htismaqe
05-24-2005, 10:02 AM

A new stadium isn't just about more seating or luxury boxes. It's also about peripheral revenue like restaurants and other things that make the stadium an attraction in and of itself.

However, you are correct. While I firmly believe that a new stadium is eventually going to be required in KC, I also believe the team is going to have to step up to the plate and figure out ways to use it to generate revenue. More luxury boxes alone isn't going to get it done.

Hoover
05-24-2005, 10:02 AM
NFL=Not For Long

Suite money counting against the cap = Increased Cap $'s = Increased players salries

The next CBA you can bet the players are going to go to war to get the suit money split among owners or get the total suite money to count against the cap doesn't matter to them as long as suite money counts against the cap.
While that may be true, they get the money now anyway in terms of Signing Bonuses.

htismaqe
05-24-2005, 10:03 AM
NFL=Not For Long

Shane has mentioned already.

One of two things will happen:

1) the owners share suite revenue with the players or

2) there will be a lockout

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 10:06 AM
There will not be any empty boxes, trust me. If Principal Park can sell 30 boxes at 19K a pop in Des Moines for Minor League BB, I'm sure the Chiefs will be fine. Hell are their emptys in Green Bay?

How many suites does Arrowhead have now?

HemiEd
05-24-2005, 10:08 AM
The upgrades at Lambeau that appealed to me most were the ease of getting around when not in your seat. The bathrooms were easy in and easy out. There are many choices for concessions, so many that the lines were not very long. Previous to the upgrades, if you wanted to get rid of some used beer, it was a very tiring and humbling experience.

Bob Dole
05-24-2005, 10:10 AM
A new stadium isn't just about more seating or luxury boxes. It's also about peripheral revenue like restaurants and other things that make the stadium an attraction in and of itself.

Which, when done with some imagination and vision, doesn't necessarily force trashing the current stadium and starting over from scratch.

Bob Dole has avoided jumping in to these conversations prior to today, and should probably back out now. There are too many issues involved on too many levels for Bob Dole's participation to add anything that someone else hasn't already added...

BigRedChief
05-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Shane has mentioned already.

One of two things will happen:

1) the owners share suite revenue with the players or

2) there will be a lockout

If we can all see this coming I hope the owners have taken their blinders off and see the coming storm.

Calcountry
05-24-2005, 10:29 AM

2) They don't have enough corporate population to fill them.Poo. They will fly in from wherever to enjoy their luxury.

htismaqe
05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Which, when done with some imagination and vision, doesn't necessarily force trashing the current stadium and starting over from scratch.

Bob Dole has avoided jumping in to these conversations prior to today, and should probably back out now. There are too many issues involved on too many levels for Bob Dole's participation to add anything that someone else hasn't already added...

I'm looking at it in terms of COST.

Green Bay and Chicago rennovated rather than building a new stadium. But the rennovations COST as much as a new stadium.

KChiefs1
05-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Luxury boxes at Arrowhead Stadium or wherever will be the hottest tickets in town! Corporations would be stupid to pass that up!

htismaqe
05-24-2005, 10:34 AM
If we can all see this coming I hope the owners have taken their blinders off and see the coming storm.

I hope so too.

Unfortunately, we're talking about an "old boys" network made up of people that are filthy rich. Frequently, those types of people think they're immune from problems.

htismaqe
05-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Luxury boxes at Arrowhead Stadium or wherever will be the hottest tickets in town! Corporations would be stupid to pass that up!

No question.

The issue is not whether or not the boxes would sell. The issue is whether or not there are enough corporate customers in KC to fill them.

htismaqe
05-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Poo. They will fly in from wherever to enjoy their luxury.

Where are they going to fly in from?

People from Omaha, Iowa, and Kansas already come.

KC is amost right smack in the middle of Minneapolis, St. Louis, Denver, and Dallas, which all have NFL teams.

If you think the customer base will change much from what it is now, I think you're fooling yourself.

KC Kings
05-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Um that will never happen. But the team is a business and if you don't want boxes thats fine but the team will find that money elsewhere, I think right now they try to make some of it up with parking.

I thought somebody put an article on here that showed that the Chiefs didn't make any money off of parking, that it was run by somebody else?

I am all for the idea being tossed around of the Chiefs moving over to Wyandotte around the race track area. What do the citizens of KC get for a new stadium? Nothing. The area around Arrowhead is a craphole. Trust me, I live there, I know. After the games everybody leaves, and the entire area is wasted. Studies have already shown that having an NFL team alone makes the host city $0. If we upgrade the stadium we have a nice stadium in the same old crappy area. However, how many times have you left a T-bones game and not stopped someplace in that compound on your way home and spent some money? I love the Chiefs, but right now giving them money for nothing except bragging rights is not a good deal for the residents of KC.

Ghost
05-24-2005, 11:12 AM
Here is a concept of what a new stadium could very well look like...

htismaqe
05-24-2005, 11:39 AM

ROFL

ROYC75
05-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Just thinking out loud here, is the fan base maxed out ?

If a new stadium was built to accomodate more luxury boxs, is there more fans that will come if more seats were available ?

We seat what, 79K now ? Could KC sellout 85 or 90 K ? I know there are some games that are close to not selling out when we suck ? But if KC was winning, could it sellout at 85 maybe 90 K ?

Thoughts ?

Dartgod
05-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Nice!

jynni
05-24-2005, 12:42 PM
If a new stadium was built to accomodate more luxury boxs, is there more fans that will come if more seats were available ?

We seat what, 79K now ? Could KC sellout 85 or 90 K ? I know there are some games that are close when we suck ? But if KC was winning, could it sellout at 85 maybe 90 K ?

IRRC, most of the renovation plans I seen actually hold fewer people. I think Arrowhead would loose seating - down to around 65-70K.

ROYC75
05-24-2005, 12:44 PM
IRRC, most of the renovation plans I seen actually hold fewer people. I think Arrowhead would loose seating - down to around 65-70K.

I understand that, but if a new one was built ? I was wondering if the fan base is maxed out ?

Hoover
05-24-2005, 12:45 PM
No question.

The issue is not whether or not the boxes would sell. The issue is whether or not there are enough corporate customers in KC to fill them.
that makes no sence.

Hoover
05-24-2005, 12:48 PM
So in Des Moines Monsanto who has a lab in Des Moines, has a box. There are tons corporate customers out there, its not going to be a problem.

Ultra Peanut
05-24-2005, 02:19 PM
listening to grunhard There's your first mistake.

Ultra Peanut
05-24-2005, 02:21 PM
So in Des Moines Monsanto who has a lab in Des Moines, has a box. There are tons corporate customers out there, its not going to be a problem.Indeed. In a city the size of, oh, East Bum****, Wyoming, maybe it could be an issue. Maybe.

But in a city the size of KC? Come on!

tk13
05-24-2005, 02:26 PM
How many suites does Arrowhead have now?
80... for a high-end comparison, the Redskins stadium has 234 I believe.... somewhere in that neighborhood.

Lbedrock1
05-24-2005, 05:06 PM

This is how you fix that. Sell your ticket as normal and all the luxury boxes that can be sold to the surrounding businesses. Whatever is lefted over in Luxury Boxes you sell to the fans and visitors who don't have season tickets. It would be like paying to get in a club just a lot more expensive.

Logical
05-24-2005, 05:47 PM

I recently found out that Luxury boxes are an acceptable tax right off, I used to believe #2 was true, now I am not so sure.