PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with DICK VERMEIL 5/24

royr17
05-24-2005, 02:19 PM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2005/05/24/qa_with_dick_vermeil/

Q&A with DICK VERMEIL
May 24, 2005, 3:11:03 PM

Q: No Jerome Woods today, did you expect him to be here today or at all?

VERMEIL: “I expect him, but I do not know when. He has some personal problems and he is working those out. Sooner or later we expect to see him.”

Q: Is that disappointing?

VERMEIL: “It’s always disappointing because you know he is such a good guy. He has been here his entire career, but he has some personal problems. It would be nice to be able to help him with those problems, but if you don’t know the problems then you can’t help him with the problems. We will see him, but in this league you go on anyway.”

Q: WR Dante Hall was back to practice. Last week you said he might be out these next few OTAs. Why is he back so early?

VERMEIL: “Well, going home and seeing his young little boy must have made him feel a little better. That’s good.”

Q: You mentioned Jerome Woods and his problems. Do you think some of his problems might be in his future status with the team and that being a little bit more in doubt?

VERMEIL: “No they are personal problems. His future is not in doubt, he is not going anywhere. ”

Q: Will you talk about RB Larry Johnson and do you sense a different kind of attitude coming into this season because obviously he feels he is in a better situation?

VERMEIL: “I think he is more mature and better understands his situation. I think we better understand how to use him and take advantage of him. We know him better. He knows us better. I think he is learning to play his role as a backup to Priest Holmes and he knows what to do to keep that job.”

Q: How does he look to you this early?

VERMEIL: “He looks very good. You know, all running backs look good against a team when they can’t tackle you. We know what he can do. That is why he was the number one pick and that is why he ran so well at the end of the year. He is a very talented young man.”

Q: LB Kendrell Bell was held out of some of the team drills today, what is his status?

VERMEIL: “He had a little strained groin. WR Craphonso Thorpe had a little strained groin as well.”

Q: Any status on G Brian Waters?

VERMEIL: “Nope, no status. I haven’t talked to him.”

Q: Does it surprise you that he is not here?

VERMEIL: “Sooner or later he will show up. You can’t make them be here.”

Q: Is S Eric Crouch going to be at training camp?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know; it is too soon to determine.”

Q: Can you talk about LB Gary Stills making the transition back to linebacker again?

VERMEIL: “He is doing very well right now, he really is. I just hope it stays that way. Fred Pagac, our linebackers coach, is doing a good job with him. He is enjoying the position, he really is. He is really upbeat and probably in better shape than he ever has been in his whole life. He is full of enthusiasm and really looking forward to competing at that position.”

Q: Do you feel that LB Gary Stills would be classified more as a tweener and would be better suited for a 3-4 alignment?

VERMEIL: “Well there is always that category. There is no law against him playing linebacker or down lineman. If he were in a 30 scheme it would be a more defined position. He’d play the right outside linebacker, but in our scheme, which we do not play the 30, then he has flexibility to play outside linebacker or a rush defensive end.”

Q: Do you imagine LB Kendrell Bell will be back at practice this week?

VERMEIL: “I would imagine so. I don’t think it is anything too serious. This time of year you are very, very sensitive to any kind of injuries.”

BigChiefFan
05-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Q: You mentioned Jerome Woods and his problems. Do you think some of his problems might be in his future status with the team and that being a little bit more in doubt?

VERMEIL: “No they are personal problems. His future is not in doubt, he is not going anywhere. ”

I sure hope that is coach talk, because if Woods can't even practice I have my reservations about penciling him in like Vermeil seems to be doing.

TRR
05-24-2005, 02:29 PM
I am of the opinion that Woods is p*ssed that they are making him battle for the FS spot. I know Vermeil says otherwise, but I really think he believes he has earned a starting spot regardless.

Not going to happen Romey.

shaneo69
05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
The DV profile:

Have a sh*tty season, don't attend offseason team activities = "His future is not in doubt, he is not going anywhere."

shaneo69
05-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm expecting a feature article tomorrow from Liz Merrill that discusses the long odds that Nebraska hero Eric Crouch faces to make it to training camp.

Chiefnj
05-24-2005, 02:47 PM
I am of the opinion that Woods is p*ssed that they are making him battle for the FS spot. I know Vermeil says otherwise, but I really think he believes he has earned a starting spot regardless.

Not going to happen Romey.

That wasn't his attitude when he was interviewed in the offseason.

eazyb81
05-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Q: LB Kendrell Bell was held out of some of the team drills today, what is his status?

VERMEIL: “He had a little strained groin. WR Craphonso Thorpe had a little strained groin as well.”

Wasn't Bell out last season because of a groin injury? That is not the type of info I want to be hearing right now.

beer bacon
05-24-2005, 03:16 PM
Wasn't Bell out last season because of a groin injury? That is not the type of info I want to be hearing right now.

Sports hernia that he got lifting too much weight while working out. He didn't even get it during a football related activity.

eazyb81
05-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Sports hernia that he got lifting too much weight while working out. He didn't even get it during a football related activity.

isn't a hernia in your groin area? if not, what is it?

nascher
05-24-2005, 03:36 PM
woods seems do be on his way out like jmo !!!

KC Kings
05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
It could be your groin but not neccessarily. They always cop a feel to check for one type of groin injury, and push on your belly to check another type of hernia.

Pants
05-24-2005, 03:45 PM
It could be your groin but not neccessarily. They always cop a feel to check for one type of groin injury, and push on your belly to check another type of hernia.

Yeah, a hernia can be on the lower abdomen or the groin.

bricks
05-24-2005, 03:52 PM

A hernia is a slight tear, located in the lower abdominal wall area of your torso. Just slighty above the groin. I've had a few of them before, and they are f*ck'n painfull as hell.

Pants
05-24-2005, 03:56 PM
A hernia is a slight tear, located in the lower abdominal wall area of your torso. Just slighty above the groin. I've had a few of them before, and they are f*ck'n painfull as hell.

It can be in the groin as well.

bricks
05-24-2005, 03:59 PM
It can be in the groin as well.

That's true...yup

irishjayhawk
05-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I think Kendrell is fine. They always take the slighest precautions on any uncomfortable movement etc. I mean TC is far away and getting injured now it not something we want todo.

Hydrae
05-24-2005, 05:30 PM
It sure seems like we have a lot of LBers right now. Bell, DJ, Mitchell, Fuji, Barber, Fox, Caver, and now moving Stills back there. Oh, can't forget Scanlon. Think there is any way we are thinking of occassionally putting Siavii in as a nose tackle and running a 3-4? Allen on one side, Browning on the other. :shrug:

C-Mac
05-24-2005, 05:33 PM
The DV profile:
Have a sh*tty season, don't attend offseason team activities = "His future is not in doubt, he is not going anywhere."

I think him taking it upon himself to get a personal trainer to help him recoup his speed, speaks volumes. He's not doing it for the money, he's doing it for all the right reasons. He also would be too big of a cap hit if they did released him.

whoman69
05-24-2005, 08:44 PM
I think DV often goes too far out on a limb not to hurt a players feelings. He doesn't know when to light a fire under somebody's ass. Woods needs a fire lit under his because with the way he played last year, he better be making retirement plans.

Pants
05-24-2005, 08:47 PM
I think DV often goes too far out on a limb not to hurt a players feelings. He doesn't know when to light a fire under somebody's ass. Woods needs a fire lit under his because with the way he played last year, he better be making retirement plans.

Why do people always assume that what coach says to the cameras is the same thing he says to the players? I could never understand that.

|Zach|
05-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Why do people always assume that what coach says to the cameras is the same thing he says to the players? I could never understand that.

This has always mystified be about Chiefs Planet.

KCJake
05-24-2005, 09:24 PM

I agree. It boggles my mind. About 2-3 years ago, I watched an interview with retired head coach Marv Levy. A reporter asked him how much truth there is in a "coach/media" interview. Levy said, "maybe 10-15%." "We are obligated to speak with the media, but we are not obligated to tell the truth."

milkman
05-25-2005, 08:56 AM

I don't think that most assume that every coach says the same thing to the cameras and players, but for reasons I can't fathom, people have this perception of Dick as an honest man in all his dealings, be it fans, media, or players.

redbrian
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM

Groin Hernia
A hernia is the protrusion of an organ through the wall that normally contains it. An inguinal hernia occurs in the groin area, when an organ, usually a part of the intestine, protrudes through the abdominal wall into the inguinal canal. The inguinal canal carries the spermatic cord in men and a round ligament that is attached to the uterus in women.

Groin (Adductor) Injury?
The adductors are fan-like muscles in the upper thigh that pull the legs together when they contract. The adductors attach the lower inner aspect of the pelvis to the inner aspect of the femur bone. Some adductors attach as far down as the knee. The adductors also help stabilize the hip joint. The most common cause of groin pain is a muscle strain. A strained adductor muscle causes localized pain in the inner thigh, or over the pubis. A severe tear is causes a sudden, acute pain and often occurs during a sudden change of direction while running. It may be accompanied by swelling and sometimes bruises

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/hip_groin/a/hip2.htm

ct
05-25-2005, 10:01 AM
It sure seems like we have a lot of LBers right now. Bell, DJ, Mitchell, Fuji, Barber, Fox, Caver, and now moving Stills back there. Oh, can't forget Scanlon.

You forgot Boomer!!

Dave Lane
05-25-2005, 11:15 AM

Not correct.

Oct 2, 2004 4:59PM ET
Bell to miss fourth game
THE NEWS

Steelers' linebacker Kendrell Bell will miss a fourth consecutive game due to a groin injury he suffered during the preseason. Steelers' head coach Bill Cowher said Thursday that he thought Bell was making progress, but has since decided to hold him out of Sunday's game against the Bengals.

Sep 29, 2004 12:08PM ET
Bell still not ready
THE NEWS

Linebacker Kendrell Bell, who has been sidelined since the first preseason game with a groin injury, will once again be listed as questionable on the Steelers' injury report. "When he is ready he will go," coach Bill Cowher told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "If he is not ready we will go without him."

Sep 10, 2004 11:57AM ET
Bell adds groin injury to list of problems
THE NEWS

Linebacker Kendrell Bell, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing time during the preseason with a shoulder injury, sat out Thursday with a groin injury.

July 20 2004

Bell missed all but one day of the Steelers' spring minicamps with a groin injury, so this could be a lingering problem. Larry Foote will start if Bell cannot play in Sunday's opener vs. the Raiders.

Dave

~worried at this point.

beer bacon
05-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Not correct.

Oct 2, 2004 4:59PM ET
Bell to miss fourth game
THE NEWS

Steelers' linebacker Kendrell Bell will miss a fourth consecutive game due to a groin injury he suffered during the preseason. Steelers' head coach Bill Cowher said Thursday that he thought Bell was making progress, but has since decided to hold him out of Sunday's game against the Bengals.

Sep 29, 2004 12:08PM ET
Bell still not ready
THE NEWS

Linebacker Kendrell Bell, who has been sidelined since the first preseason game with a groin injury, will once again be listed as questionable on the Steelers' injury report. "When he is ready he will go," coach Bill Cowher told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "If he is not ready we will go without him."

Sep 10, 2004 11:57AM ET
Bell adds groin injury to list of problems
THE NEWS

Linebacker Kendrell Bell, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing time during the preseason with a shoulder injury, sat out Thursday with a groin injury.

July 20 2004

Bell missed all but one day of the Steelers' spring minicamps with a groin injury, so this could be a lingering problem. Larry Foote will start if Bell cannot play in Sunday's opener vs. the Raiders.

Dave

~worried at this point.

The groin injury is the sports hernia. Go look around for all the interviews with out FO, coaches, and Bell before and after we signed him. It was in the groin area, but was a sports hernia he got lifting weights. It was not the same thing as pulling/tweaking his groin.

TEX
05-25-2005, 12:04 PM
This is why I wasn't too thrilled that the CHIEFS signed Bell in the first place as I felt he was way too much of a risk coming off a season where he virtually didn't play all year. Didin't a groin injury cause him to miss significant time with the Steelers. :hmmm: