PDA

View Full Version : The Contender Finale!

Bill Lundberg
05-24-2005, 08:55 PM
I hated to see Manfredo lose, but Sergio was in better shape and seemed to be always throwing punches and landing better shots. Overall I really enjoyed the show. I was however getting sick of hearing Stallone call for a rematch every 5 seconds from round 1 through the end. Like we didn't see that coming!

jspchief
05-24-2005, 09:05 PM
I really liked the show. Getting to know the guys gave you something to root for every fight. Some of the early bouts were duds, and the challenges were stupid, but I enjoyed the large majority of the boxing. Having the fights only go 5 rounds makes for some intense action.

As for the finale, I thought both fights were great. The rest of the show was brutal though. The interviews were painful to watch. It's clear that Sly and Sugar do not have a future in broadcasting. They should have left that stuff up to professionals. They were also annoying as hell calling the fight. Sly constantly oohing, ahhing and grunting was horrible. Then there was the shameless pumping up of the rematches (as you mentioned). I ended up turning the sound off.

Overall, the show really appealed to me. Professional boxing could learn a thing or two about entertainment from it. Guys laying it on the line like every fight is their last. You just don't see that much heart in pro boxing very often.

KCWolfman
05-24-2005, 10:16 PM
NBC has already cancelled next season. Too bad, this was one reality show I was going to give a shot.

jspchief
05-24-2005, 10:35 PM
NBC has already cancelled next season. Too bad, this was one reality show I was going to give a shot.That's too bad.

There were definately aspects that I didn't care for. The stupid unoriginal "reality challenge" to decide who gets to fight was a waste. I also thought Sly was a total detriment to the show. Watching him try to talk boxing with Sugar Ray and that trainer was painful. It would be like one of us trying to talk Xs and Os with Vermeil and Saunders.

The thing that really grabbed me was the way you got to know the fighters. Turn on Friday Night Fights and watch two guys you've never heard of, and you just aren't as attached to the outcome. You learned to love or hate these guys, and it allowed you put some of your heart into it. If they could bottle that part of the show, they would be sitting on gold.

I also thought the boxing was entertaining, even if it wasn't as technically sound as most professional fights. The low number of rounds let these guys swing like windmills.

Overall, I'd say it was about 25% bad, 75% excellent. They were close to having a good show on their hands. Early bad reviews had to have hurt it. I'm glad I watched in spite of the reviews.

Fat Elvis
05-24-2005, 11:05 PM
It ain't reality unless folks are dieing on the show.

Now here is some reality tv: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/splash.html?through=campaign%7Cgreats%7Ctribune

jspchief
05-24-2005, 11:07 PM
It ain't reality unless folks are dieing on the show.

Now here is some reality tv: http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/splash.html?through=campaign%7Cgreats%7Ctribune

Well, one of the contestants on the Contender killed himself, but I don't suppose that counts....

Fat Elvis
05-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Well, one of the contestants on the Contender killed himself, but I don't suppose that counts....

But did it happen on the show?

KingPriest2
05-25-2005, 07:22 AM
That's too bad.

There were definately aspects that I didn't care for. The stupid unoriginal "reality challenge" to decide who gets to fight was a waste. I also thought Sly was a total detriment to the show. Watching him try to talk boxing with Sugar Ray and that trainer was painful. It would be like one of us trying to talk Xs and Os with Vermeil and Saunders.

The thing that really grabbed me was the way you got to know the fighters. Turn on Friday Night Fights and watch two guys you've never heard of, and you just aren't as attached to the outcome. You learned to love or hate these guys, and it allowed you put some of your heart into it. If they could bottle that part of the show, they would be sitting on gold.

I also thought the boxing was entertaining, even if it wasn't as technically sound as most professional fights. The low number of rounds let these guys swing like windmills.

Overall, I'd say it was about 25% bad, 75% excellent. They were close to having a good show on their hands. Early bad reviews had to have hurt it. I'm glad I watched in spite of the reviews.

Sly has been around boxing for 30 years. It would not be what you said where we would be talking with Vermeil and Saunders. Sly does know quite abit. Announcing on the other hand no.

I do agree with you that getting to know the fighters was great.

Iowanian
05-25-2005, 09:17 AM
I enjoyed the show, and there were some very good fights.....I do almost wish they'd have just shown the entire fights instead of clips.

There were definitely guys to like, and guys to dislike. I hated the guy from Minnesota.

Manfredo was a guy you wanted to win, but I never saw him really dominate anyone. If Jesse Brinkley would get serious, and get himself in shape......

Great fight last night. Its a damn shame if that show isn't having a season II, because it could do alot for boxing.

BIG_DADDY
05-25-2005, 09:30 AM
I enjoyed the show, and there were some very good fights.....I do almost wish they'd have just shown the entire fights instead of clips.

There were definitely guys to like, and guys to dislike. I hated the guy from Minnesota.

Manfredo was a guy you wanted to win, but I never saw him really dominate anyone. If Jesse Brinkley would get serious, and get himself in shape......

Great fight last night. Its a damn shame if that show isn't having a season II, because it could do alot for boxing.

I definately agree on the just show the fight instead of the clips part. That being said it deserves another season as does the Ulitimate Fighting version.

saraed001
05-25-2005, 09:30 AM
It was a great fight last night and like you all have said Sly and Sugar were brutal as announcers.

I think Jesse Brinkley needs to get his wife on the treadmill as well. It was breaking my heart when they would show his wife and she is screaming at the top of her lungs while their daughter is crying in the seat next to her. Kids should not be subjected to that kind of thing.

Lastly, I have never seen so much ass in all my life sitting ringside. Brooke Burke, Cameron Diaz, models…etc… It was very nice to see.

MOhillbilly
05-25-2005, 09:31 AM
i liked it aswell,and would watch it next year.To bad about gettin the poke.
the thing i didnt like were the condenced fights and the lack of power the fighters had.
And who would want to see a rematch?
The snake kid destroyed the other guy.