PDA

View Full Version : Column by Wizards' Jimmy Conrad - good stuff

Ultra Peanut
05-25-2005, 02:07 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=333688&cc=5901

Pipe Dream #1 - Stadiums

Now don't get me wrong, I love the Home Depot Center. I think it's the best piece of evidence our young league has to sustain credibility amongst the baseball-, football-, and basketball-loving public. But for me, the capacity is too big, the stands are too far away from the field, and?

"What is it?"

"Phil Anschutz on line two," my make-believe secretary says.

"Patch him through."

"You were saying, young man," utters Mr. Anschutz.

"I was saying what a great service you have done for soccer in this country exemplified by the Home Depot Center."

"That's not the tone I was picking up on," states Mr. Anschutz.

"My kind sir, you set the bar, and now I'm merely trying to come up with suggestions that will make a good product great. If I may?"

"You may," he sighs, "but make it quick."

"I propose that we build stadiums that hold no more than fifteen thousand people to make every seat a hot ticket with the fans being as close to the field as possible. Of course, the field would have to be as wide and long as FIFA regulations would allow so that the there is space for the creative players to show off their magic. To boot, the stadium would be much better off in a downtown setting but if that can't be accomplished due to outrageous real estate gouging, then bring the downtown feel to the stadium. Get restaurants, bars, and shops to surround the establishment and make the whole experience a night out. A place where you can't wait to go to next week," I exclaim.

"Since you are using the word, "we," I can safely assume that you do not have the money to back up these suggestions?" he inquires.

"I think you are well aware that I do not," I reply glumly.

"Keep dreaming my boy," he declares.

"That I will sir. That I will."

Pipe Dream #2 - Attracting the Media Spotlight/Product Placement

At some point, I believe we have to mount a campaign to promote our sport as the "cool" sport. The sport you're missing out on by not participating as a fan or as a player. We need P. Diddy wearing a MetroStars jersey while walking the red carpet, Freddy Adu starring in the Bachelor: Prom Edition, a player showing off their digs on MTV Cribs, a face, preferably mine, in People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People, MLS commercials shown outside of MLS telecasts, a controversial documentary about MLS garnering buzz at all the film festivals...or we can let Chivas USA win a couple of games.The rest is in the link. Funny.