View Full Version : Chief's Notebook

Mr. Laz
05-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Posted on Wed, May. 25, 2005
CHIEFS NOTEBOOK

Versatile tackle to visit

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

In the days since he was cut from Arizona last week, offensive lineman L.J. Shelton has scurried to make trips to Chicago and Houston. His next stop: Kansas City.

Two people familiar with the situation said Tuesday that Shelton was scheduled to visit with the Chiefs at the end of the week. The former first-round draft pick from Eastern Michigan is in Houston today to try to revive a career that stalled last season on the Cardinals' bench.

Shelton, a 6-foot-6, 335-pound left tackle, is versatile enough to play either side. He would add depth to a Chiefs' offensive line that includes 13-year veteran Willie Roaf.

Shelton started 77 of 82 games for the Cardinals but apparently fell out of favor with coach Dennis Green and wanted to be traded. He injured his knee in a Dec. 14 loss to San Francisco and didn't play the rest of the season.

• NO WATERS: Speaking of offensive linemen, another day of workouts passed Tuesday with no sign of Brian Waters.

The Pro Bowl guard is one of three starting linemen who hasn't participated in any of the first four workouts. The other two, Will Shields and Roaf, are being held out to nurse aches and pains. Waters' absence is a little more sketchy.

“I haven't talked to him,” coach Dick Vermeil said. “I thought there might be a problem, but I thought he would be here by now. But sooner or later, he'll show up. You can't make 'em be here.”

• BELL INJURED: Linebacker Kendrell Bell was held out of some team drills Tuesday because of a slightly pulled groin. Vermeil said he expected him back by the end of the week.

“I don't think it is anything too serious,” he said. “This time of year you are very, very sensitive to any kind of injuries.”

Receiver Dante Hall returned to practice Tuesday, a week earlier than expected. Hall hurt his knee last week during workouts.

• WARFIELD WAITS: It is two months until training camp, and cornerback Eric Warfield doesn't know if he'll be suspended for his third DUI.

Warfield said his lawyer contacted league officials last week to get an update on his status, but it was unknown if — or when — he would sit. Warfield faces a possible suspension of as many as four games under the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Warfield's house arrest ends next week. He has been sober since September, and has felt noticeably better during offseason conditioning.

“I haven't come in hung over or smelling like a brewery or anything,” he said.

TRR
05-25-2005, 10:35 AM
But, but, but...Nick Athan said KC has no interest in LJ Shelton?

jspchief
05-25-2005, 10:43 AM
But, but, but...Nick Athan said KC has no interest in LJ Shelton?Clearly Elizabeth Merrill doesn't have a press pass. She's out of the loop.

JimNasium
05-25-2005, 10:47 AM
WTF is going on with the Waters thang? Someone has to know more about the situation than they are letting on.

TRR
05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Clearly Elizabeth Merrill doesn't have a press pass. She's out of the loop.

Your probably right. I mean, Nick Athan has press credentials and actually talks with the coaches. I mean, literally talks to them. He would have to know more than Merrill. Did I mention that he has press credentials?

Brock
05-25-2005, 10:51 AM
“I haven't come in hung over or smelling like a brewery or anything,” he said.

Gee, that's great, Eric. We're all real proud of you.

InChiefsHeaven
05-25-2005, 10:58 AM
WTF is going on with the Waters thang? Someone has to know more about the situation than they are letting on.

Exactly. Same with Woods. Personal problems...WTF??

...but since it is not required to come in for the OTA's, then I guess there's nothing to worry about...

whoman69
05-25-2005, 12:24 PM
The possibility of Warfield being suspended is exactly why I thought we should go after another CB in the draft. Who starts in Warfield's place now?

TRR
05-25-2005, 12:26 PM
The possibility of Warfield being suspended is exactly why I thought we should go after another CB in the draft. Who starts in Warfield's place now?

McCleon would start in Warfield's place with Sapp, Battle and Hodge competing for the nickel spot.

keg in kc
05-25-2005, 12:29 PM
The possibility of Warfield being suspended is exactly why I thought we should go after another CB in the draft. Who starts in Warfield's place now?I'd agree with that as a salient point if the top 3 corners all hadn't been off the board and Derrick Johnson wasn't sitting there shouting "draft me, idiots".

BigChiefFan
05-25-2005, 12:34 PM
We already had 5 CBs on the roster, now we have 7. We made the right move by getting Surtain and drafting a rookie.

TRR
05-25-2005, 12:36 PM
My first interest after June 1st is a wide receiver. After that, I would love for KC to add a veteran CB like Bobby Taylor or RW McQuarters. If that happens, I think we will be set for training camp.

All that said, I still think we need some younger guys to step up this season. Players like Julian Battle, Benny Sapp, Jimmy Wilkerson, Jordan Black, Junior Siavii, Derrick Johnson, and Samie Parker all have to prove their worth. It's great to fill holes in FA, but it's time to get some production out of our draftees..