PDA

View Full Version : Don’t expect Wesley to knock on Woods

Mr. Laz
05-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Posted on Wed, May. 25, 2005

COMPETITION FOR STARTING SAFETY

They have been friends and secondary mates for five seasons, but it’s beginning to sound like Greg Wesley is tired of answering questions about Jerome Woods.

“I know nothing about Jerome Woods,” Wesley said in a robotic voice Tuesday as the microphones swarmed in on him.

It is week two of the Chiefs’ voluntary but not-so-voluntary offseason workouts. Woods is supposed to be battling Wesley for a starting job, and the veteran safety hasn’t arrived in Kansas City. Coach Dick Vermeil expected Woods late last week. On Tuesday, Vermeil said he “has no clue” when Woods will be back.

But he did quash speculation that the longtime starter may be pouting or that his status on the team may be iffy.

“His future is not in doubt,” Vermeil said. “He’s not going anywhere.

“He’s got some personal problems, he’s working those out, and sooner or later, we expect to see him.”

Woods, who has been training in his hometown of Memphis, hasn’t returned calls to The Star. Cornerback Eric Warfield said Woods was dealing with family issues.

“It’s always disappointing because he’s such a good guy and he’s been here all of his career,” Vermeil said. “If he’s got some problems, it would be nice to help him. But if you don’t know the problems, then you can’t help with his problems.”

Just a year ago, the Chiefs were hoping to build their defense around Wesley and Woods. They signed them to big contract extensions. They followed with a disappointing season.

In a defensive overhaul, the Chiefs picked up veteran Sammy Knight and three other free agents in the offseason. Knight will start at strong safety, which is Wesley’s old spot. This means he’ll compete with his old friend and mentor for the other starting safety position.

Asked Tuesday whether Woods is losing ground with each passing day, Vermeil said, “In the National Football League, every day is competitive.”

If Wesley is earning points from the coaching staff in Woods’ absence, he doesn’t seem to care. He has started his whole career in Kansas City. He said he can’t worry about anybody else.

“No stress on me,” Wesley said. “I don’t think about fighting for a spot. I just go out there and handle my business and let the cards play the way they play. I have no control over who starts and who does anything anyway, so why worry about it?”

Stressful or not, Wesley has responded to the situation. Vermeil has noticed it in the weight room and in the four offseason practices. He said that sometimes, when a job was set, a player could get lulled into his position. Did it happen to Wesley?

“I’m not saying it did,” Vermeil said. “But it’s very easy to take that for granted. And you quit progressing.

“He has talent that we have not touched yet. And that’s my fault, our defensive coaches’ fault and his fault. I think the presence of intense competition has brought out the best in him. I believe, just by watching him right now, that he’s on his way to having his best football year.”

At least on Tuesday, it looked as if the secondary was making progress. Three passes were intercepted, including one thrown by Trent Green, and one was deflected.

Wesley said newcomers needed time to pick up the system, but he could tell after the fourth workout that the defense would be considerably better than last year’s 31st-place showing.

He just wishes Woods were here to see it. When he came to Kansas City in 2000, Woods was the veteran, the fifth-year safety who helped Wesley along.

“We’re good friends,” Wesley said. “That’s my man. I’ve talked to him a couple of times … I’m sure whatever he’s doing, that’s on him.

“It doesn’t give me a leg up or anything. I don’t even think about it, to be honest. I’m just going out there, playing a position I’m put in and trying to better myself. That’s it.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KC Kings
05-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Who need Woods when we have Crouch?

BigChiefFan
05-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Woods better get his stuff together if he wants to make the team regardless of what Vermeil says.

TRR
05-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Woods better get his stuff together if he wants to make the team regardless of what Vermeil says.

I agree. I don't see Jerome Woods beating out Greg Wesley for the starting FS spot. Wesley is a lot younger, and Woods has a major injury still lingering. I just don't see how (1) KC would keep a contract that large for a backup player, and (2) Woods accepting a backup role.