PDA

View Full Version : Horse Collar Tackle officially banned.

oaklandhater
05-25-2005, 08:43 PM
aka the horseback tackle. It was the tackle that broke T.O.'s leg .. hehehehhehehe..

CHIEF4EVER
05-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Heard it this morning on Sirius NFL radio. I'm not sure this was a necessary rule change and if TO hadn't got hurt it probably wouldn't even have been an issue.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
05-25-2005, 08:54 PM
I love how as soon as someone as high profile as Owens gets hurt from that tackle they change the rules. But when Priest goes down from the same thing the NFL does nothing. Not that I think they should outlaw it, it seems pretty soon the the NFL will be a flag or 2 hand touch game. :banghead:

CHIEF4EVER
05-25-2005, 08:59 PM
I love how as soon as someone as high profile as Owens gets hurt from that tackle they change the rules. But when Priest goes down from the same thing the NFL does nothing. Not that I think they should outlaw it, it seems pretty soon the the NFL will be a flag or 2 hand touch game. :banghead:

Agree 100%. If things keep going the way they are now, the Dlinemen will have to count 'One Mississippi, Two Mississippi' before they can rush the passer and tackles will only be legal above the waist with one arm and only by grabbing a specially treated padded portion of the uniform. :shake:

Garcia Bronco
05-25-2005, 09:02 PM

That's a good point

KCWolfman
05-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Let's just turn the game into a no contact track meet.

CHIEF4EVER
05-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Let's just turn the game into a no contact track meet.

It would seem that is the direction this thing is headed. What the league fails to mention before making such BS rules is the fact that the horsecollar has been around since people wore pads in a game and the injuries from this type of tackle have been infrequent. Leastwise not frequent enough to warrant a rule change. 3 of this years 4 injuries stemming from this kind of tackle were caused by one player.

plbrdude
05-25-2005, 09:11 PM
<<it seems pretty soon the the NFL will be a flag or 2 hand touch game. >>

Isn't that thae type of D we played last year?? The 2 hand touch type.

Mecca
05-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Well what gets stuff like that looked at. Is when 1 player (Roy Wllliams) frequently uses it and gives 3 players serious injuries with it. Had 1 guy been injured I doubt anything would have come from it but he severly injured 3 players in 1 year with it.

The NFL is just looking out for the interest of the league they don't want everyone to be injured. There's a reason why they don't allow players to clothlesline each other anymore either.

Also "horse collaring" and tackling someone from behind are 2 diferent things. There seems to be some confusion on that not very many players do the horse collar tackle like Williams was doing. Grabbing a guy from behind by both shoulders and twisting him down isn't done that often.

On a side note Williams probably wouldn't have had to tackle that way if he hadn't gotten so fat before last season offensive players typically ran by him so he was constantly chasing guys from behind.

4th and Long
One more rule change like this one and they'll be changing the name of the league to the NFFL.

National Flag Football League.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
<<it seems pretty soon the the NFL will be a flag or 2 hand touch game. >>

Isn't that thae type of D we played last year?? The 2 hand touch type.

Yep......... worst part was that they usually only were able to get one hand on the ball carrier! :banghead:

Valiant
05-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Well what gets stuff like that looked at. Is when 1 player (Roy Wllliams) frequently uses it and gives 3 players serious injuries with it. Had 1 guy been injured I doubt anything would have come from it but he severly injured 3 players in 1 year with it.

The NFL is just looking out for the interest of the league they don't want everyone to be injured. There's a reason why they don't allow players to clothlesline each other anymore either.

Also "horse collaring" and tackling someone from behind are 2 diferent things. There seems to be some confusion on that not very many players do the horse collar tackle like Williams was doing. Grabbing a guy from behind by both shoulders and twisting him down isn't done that often.

On a side note Williams probably wouldn't have had to tackle that way if he hadn't gotten so fat before last season offensive players typically ran by him so he was constantly chasing guys from behind.

But yet they will still allow the blocking schemes taught by denver and now atlanta that injures players also...They are picking and choosing...

CHIEF4EVER
05-25-2005, 09:33 PM

3 things you have to look at in this case:

1) How frequently (in the scope of normal NFL play) does this happen?

2) Is it such a serious problem that it warrants a rule change for the entire league?

3) Is it a life threatening maneuver (such as grabbing and twisting the face mask or clotheslining)?

To 1, not very often. To 2, no. To 3, no. IMO this is an unnecessary rule change.

Mecca
05-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Well I agree with the picking and choosing thing. The only thing that hurts with it is well the league can't just come out and say "no more cut blocking". If they did that then RB's would have a serious problem in blitz pickups because most RB's cut block when picking up blitzes.

So they take a small step this year by saying you can't cut in this manner and so so. Well the problem is there's a huge grey area in the cutting rules and Denver is always going to try to exploit those. Every team in the league does use cut blocks, it's just that Atlanta and Denver take the grey area of using them sometimes to making a whole scheme out of the crap.

The league doesn't want to outlaw cut blocking because honestly they dont want QB's to get injured. But I don't think they want any teams to make complete offensive line schemes out of it either. So they have a bit of a dillema with that.

The only reason they use that as a scheme is you can be cheap with your Olineman and still be effecient. Atlanta had the number 1 rush offense in the NFL doing it with a bunch of scrub lineman. So basically you injure your opponents and save cap space by teaching marginal lineman you can replace frequently to cut people.

It is a problem and I don't know if they'll ever find a true solution to the issues the cut blocking presents.

Also I think the only person the horse collar rule will hurt is Roy Williams as he's the only guy in the NFL I've seen tackle that way. They should just call it the "Roy Williams Rule".

KCWolfman
05-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Also I think the only person the horse collar rule will hurt is Roy Williams as he's the only guy in the NFL I've seen tackle that way. They should just call it the "Roy Williams Rule".

I still remember the goaltending rule being called the Wilt Chamberlain rule.

Phobia
05-25-2005, 10:00 PM

I'm not defending Owens or anything, but Priest Holmes is pretty high profile.

Mr. Kotter
05-25-2005, 10:01 PM
I still remember the goaltending rule being called the Wilt Chamberlain rule.

Damn. You are an old fugg.

:p

Hammock Parties
05-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Horse Collar Tackle was just a troll anyway. Thank you mods!

Mr. Kotter
05-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Horse Collar Tackle was just a troll anyway. Thank you mods!

:spock:

Hammock Parties
05-25-2005, 10:09 PM
:spock:

Horse Collar Tackle officially banned.

Mr. Kotter
05-25-2005, 10:11 PM
:shake:

Skip Towne
05-25-2005, 10:31 PM
The NFL is hypersensitive to anything that could mess with their program. They have had phenomenal success in the last 25 years or so. I can remember a time when they were just an afterthought to college football. They have nowhere to go but down so I understand their paranoia.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
05-26-2005, 07:40 AM
I'm not defending Owens or anything, but Priest Holmes is pretty high profile.

Do you see Priest on every episode of Sportscenter? Does Fox/CBS/ESPN interview Priest about nothing related to the game they are about to broadcast prior to every game on the individual stations? When I said high profile it meant more in the sense of a media darling. Priest is very well known in are area (midwest) but I bet that the central areas of the universe (i.e New York, LA, etc) only barely recognize Priest's name. Whereas due to the media that Owens get everyone knows everything about Owens.

Chiefnj
05-26-2005, 07:44 AM
It's going to be tough to enforce because you can still do it in the box. You just can't do open field horse collar tackles; well you can but it's 15 yards. 15 yards is better than a TD.