PDA

View Full Version : Who is on the "no call list"?

Skip Towne
05-26-2005, 12:22 PM
I just signed up. Those damn telemarketers are driving me crazy.

Luzap
05-26-2005, 12:24 PM
How do you sign up?

morphius
05-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Have been for a while, really cut down the incoming calls.

Skip Towne
05-26-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't have a land line. Telemarketers don't call my cell phone.
Apparently they do call some people's cell phones. You can register both your cell phone and your land line by googling "No Call List" and it will bring up a link to the Federal Trade Commission. Then just enter your phone number and email address and submit.

Braincase
05-26-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm on it. Makes dinner so much more enjoyable.

Stinger
05-26-2005, 12:33 PM
I just signed up. Those damn telemarketers are driving me crazy.

I call :BS:. You have been crazy alot longer than telemarketers have been around.

UTChief
05-26-2005, 12:35 PM
I am on it.

Bwana
05-26-2005, 12:35 PM
My home phone is unlisted, I have privacy plus and I am on the do not call list with all my numbers. I did however get a call on my call from some strokestick last week as well as yesterday trying to sell something. After yesterday, I don't think he will ever call again.

Bwana
05-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Dude, I was just trying to make a buck. You didn't have to be so mean.

ROFL

alpha_omega
05-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Just remember...alot of honest people make their living doing telemarketing.

Just say "no thank you" and hang up.

Goapics1
05-26-2005, 12:39 PM
How do you sign up?

I'm on it, but my wife signed us up. Can't help you.

Goapics1
05-26-2005, 12:41 PM

And what is your profession?

ptlyon
05-26-2005, 12:41 PM

I can think of putting something instead of "no thank" in there.

alpha_omega
05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
I can think of putting something instead of "no thank" in there.

Yes...you could do that as well.

Stinger
05-26-2005, 12:43 PM

:harumph: BullSh*t!!!! They called me. You call me you get what you get my house my phone my rules. If I call them feel free to say anything you want.

Actually I give them a one time warning in the beggining of their speal. If they keep on pushing all bets are off. I get 1 call every month or so since we have been on the no call list and it usally someone local.

alpha_omega
05-26-2005, 12:44 PM
And what is your profession?

Sales ....of course.

Stinger
05-26-2005, 12:48 PM
National No call list
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

For Skip Oklahoma No Call
http://www.oag.state.ok.us/oagweb.nsf/DoNotCall!OpenPage

Skip Towne
05-26-2005, 12:52 PM
My caller ID gets some of them. I won't pick up if it is an 800 number or only says Unavailable.

ptlyon
05-26-2005, 12:54 PM
I still appreciate the blowhorn technique.

Hydrae
05-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Privacy manager is a wonderful tool. Tied with caller ID, most everything gets filtered out.

gblowfish
05-26-2005, 01:09 PM

Just say "no thank you" and hang up.I'm on the Missouri No Call List. Sometimes people still call anyway, especially if they're "borderline" like wanks from the phone company itself, or from credit card companies or whatever. Usually I like to mess with them. Some of my favorites:

1) "I was born without a spine. Can you help dress and feed me???"
2) "What are you wearing? Wait....speak sloooower... aaaaaaahhh"
3) "Can you come over? I hate doing business over the phone...."
4) "English is not for the first of language speaking...Portugese???"
5) "COLORS!!!! I see COLORS!!!! I'm FREAKIN OUT MAN!!!!"
6) "I've got some stuff on EBay I'm trying to sell. Want the URL, dude?"
7) "Jesus told me to find you and bring you to bible study..."
8) "Can you dispose of a body for me???"
9) "Does your company work on the barter system?"
10)"Let me call you back. What time to YOU eat???"

Nightfyre
05-26-2005, 01:36 PM
I understand that it is the telemarketers job, and respect them. It gets hard at 7 AM on my days off tho... See, I think people lack a fundamental understanding for others today. I will now go and start a thread about it, after writing a comprehensive rant/essay.

Rain Man
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
I agree with alpha_omega, and try to be polite to these folks. Their lives are bad enough as it is.

And with surveys, of course, I always participate, because that's my civic duty - and yours, too, unless the survey is being done by one of my competitors, in which case you can be as rude as you like.

Businesses aren't eligible for the no-call list, so we're always getting weird calls asking us to invest in oil wells and stuff. We got three calls from a guy in Indonesia a couple of months ago who spoke almost no English, and then he sent us a bunch of e-mails. Here's one of them. You can tell me what he was trying to sell, because we could never figure it out.

Dear Sir or Madame,

Thank-you finding friends abroad who will become the best partner and hopefully will come to mine or cooperate closely for several national / world projects.... But rarely in Jakarta - especially in several nomination for grant or international award - bored research - tough guy walking in the darkness to reach the truly shine result since 1997/1998. See this http://www.geocities.com/visihelp/sunshine - And regret to inform that several of universities in Indonesia have been Rejected - And currently I am searching for Qualify Team in the World. as we have submitted to several world institution : UNDP, Unicef, ILO, investigation team, etc, related to "Research Process - Pressures - Human Rights and Others in Jakarta - Indonesia"

After Get My Legal Patent Invention Number from Judicial Dept. in Indonesia. I Try to nominate international award (such a "naif" nomination) - to fully complete our small cooperation (now quite "stuck in the beginning") of Market Research in Jakarta - Indonesia - and or grant (prepaid of integrated system). But actually I would like to know more about * Official Fee for all of those.

As you have read at our last email related to cooperation of Market Research and Overseas Management Services, etc. I also invite you to become the partner / build business in Indonesia or in Singapore.

Last Information for you that I am hoping so much become the Award Winner in this year, after years of waiting to get it. Thank-you I am waiting for your reply very early.

Yours Truly,
Consult and Consult
Postal : Cengkareng Indah Blok DD-20. Jakarta 11720. Indonesia
Phone : +62816789670 - +62215450467

Consult and Consult - General Consulting Services
Supervision, Reenginering Business System, Patent Inventions and Law Mediations

Hydrae
05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Rainman, did you follow the link and then check out his resume (listed on the linked page http://www.geocities.com/hau_shiang/application )? He is looking to work for you doing market research in Indonesia or Singapore.

Biohazard
05-26-2005, 01:53 PM
I just had a call the other day on my cell, the phone said I had a voicemail so I listen to. It was a 800 number that wanted my voicemail to hold.................then someone came on and said about 3 words before they figured out what was going on.:shrug:

Rain Man
05-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Rainman, did you follow the link and then check out his resume (listed on the linked page http://www.geocities.com/hau_shiang/application )? He is looking to work for you doing market research in Indonesia or Singapore.

Ah! Mystery solved. I never went to the web site because he was pestering an employee of mine and not me directly.

I like his animated resume. Picture and everything.

tomahawk kid
05-26-2005, 01:57 PM
National No call list
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

For Skip Oklahoma No Call
http://www.oag.state.ok.us/oagweb.nsf/DoNotCall!OpenPage

How long until this takes effect?

StcChief
05-26-2005, 02:00 PM
Have been for Years in MO.

Calcountry
05-26-2005, 02:06 PM
:harumph: BullSh*t!!!! They called me. You call me you get what you get my house my phone my rules. If I call them feel free to say anything you want.

Actually I give them a one time warning in the beggining of their speal. If they keep on pushing all bets are off. I get 1 call every month or so since we have been on the no call list and it usally someone local.Have you ever met the type of people who hold these jobs?

Calcountry
05-26-2005, 02:09 PM
They call me at work and ask, "Is the owner there?" To which I reply, "no, he is on vacation and won't be back until the 15th".

"Can you make a decision?", they ask me. I say, no the owner handles all the decisions for the business, I am just a "cashier".

redbrian
05-26-2005, 02:20 PM
I agree with alpha_omega, and try to be polite to these folks. Their lives are bad enough as it is.

And with surveys, of course, I always participate, because that's my civic duty - and yours, too, unless the survey is being done by one of my competitors, in which case you can be as rude as you like.

Businesses aren't eligible for the no-call list, so we're always getting weird calls asking us to invest in oil wells and stuff. We got three calls from a guy in Indonesia a couple of months ago who spoke almost no English, and then he sent us a bunch of e-mails. Here's one of them. You can tell me what he was trying to sell, because we could never figure it out.

Dear Sir or Madame,

Thank-you finding friends abroad who will become the best partner and hopefully will come to mine or cooperate closely for several national / world projects.... But rarely in Jakarta - especially in several nomination for grant or international award - bored research - tough guy walking in the darkness to reach the truly shine result since 1997/1998. See this http://www.geocities.com/visihelp/sunshine - And regret to inform that several of universities in Indonesia have been Rejected - And currently I am searching for Qualify Team in the World. as we have submitted to several world institution : UNDP, Unicef, ILO, investigation team, etc, related to "Research Process - Pressures - Human Rights and Others in Jakarta - Indonesia"

After Get My Legal Patent Invention Number from Judicial Dept. in Indonesia. I Try to nominate international award (such a "naif" nomination) - to fully complete our small cooperation (now quite "stuck in the beginning") of Market Research in Jakarta - Indonesia - and or grant (prepaid of integrated system). But actually I would like to know more about * Official Fee for all of those.

As you have read at our last email related to cooperation of Market Research and Overseas Management Services, etc. I also invite you to become the partner / build business in Indonesia or in Singapore.

Last Information for you that I am hoping so much become the Award Winner in this year, after years of waiting to get it. Thank-you I am waiting for your reply very early.

Yours Truly,
Consult and Consult
Postal : Cengkareng Indah Blok DD-20. Jakarta 11720. Indonesia
Phone : +62816789670 - +62215450467

Consult and Consult - General Consulting Services
Supervision, Reenginering Business System, Patent Inventions and Law Mediations

This is a point which needs to be made, marketing and survey companies are exempt from the no call list. In fact they do not even see it.

For the last few months I've been doing a little marketing work at night, for a company which collects data for radio stations across the country.

It amazes me how some people just flip out over this, and we prescreen our calls asking if we can call back to do the survey.

If your eating dinner and the phone rings don't answer the damn thing. If it really bugs you that much get caller ID don't answer calls from numbers you don't know and then block them out.

KCWolfman
05-26-2005, 10:43 PM
I like the mp3 of the guy pretending to wack off while he is speaking with one.

We haven't had a telemarketer call us in over 5 years. We just don't give our phone number out for anything at all. Hell, even if it an application, I will give an incorrect number and just check back with the company when the review time is up.

Frazod
05-26-2005, 10:49 PM
I have both our cellphones on the list. We never even answer the home phone, and I check messages for that line about once every six months. Nobody calls on the land line except for telemarketers and other scumbags wanting money. F#ck 'em.

If I didn't need it for DTV and the alarm system, I wouldn't even have it.