PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NFL Power rankings

DTLB58
05-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Sorry if repost....http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

It has the Chiefs ranked #11th overall but only the 7th best in the AFC so that wouldn't get us in the playoffs...... The Vikes at #4 overall, wow! Thoughts???

beer bacon
05-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Chiefs at #11 is pretty generous since we haven't proven that any of our signings are actually going to improve us yet. I would switch us and the Broncos until we actually play some games and prove that our team is better.

DTLB58
05-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Chiefs at #11 is pretty genorous since we haven't proven that any of our signings are actually going to improve us yet. I would switch us and the Broncos until we actually play some games and prove that our team is better.

I agree, I thought 11 was very very forgiving after they way our defense performed last year.

Bwana
05-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Chiefs at #11 is pretty generous since we haven't proven that any of our signings are actually going to improve us yet. I would switch us and the Broncos until we actually play some games and prove that our team is better.

It's no stranger than the Vikings being ranked at #4.

TEX
05-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Well we'll get a chance to pass the Jets Week 1.

beer bacon
05-26-2005, 06:53 PM
It's no stranger than the Vikings being ranked at #4.

Off season Power rankings are pretty stupid all the way around.

Bwana
05-26-2005, 07:00 PM

No doubt about that. There is a lot that can happen between now and opening day.

DTLB58
05-26-2005, 07:03 PM
I think they are pretty silly during the season since they mean absolutely nothing but at least in the offseason it gives us something to discuss rather than another NFT thread :p

RealSNR
05-26-2005, 11:02 PM
The guy who wrote these just wasted part of his life.

These mean two things... jack and shit. For all we know, half of the teams' starting QBs could get into motorcycle accidents in the next five minutes, and then these figures would be totally switched around.

htismaqe
05-27-2005, 06:53 AM
I agree, I thought 11 was very very forgiving after they way our defense performed last year.

Our defense was the same two years ago and we went 13-3.

chagrin
05-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Then they had the nerve to get lazy

Bob Dole
05-27-2005, 06:57 AM
For all we know, half of the teams' starting QBs could get into motorcycle accidents in the next five minutes, and then these figures would be totally switched around.

Bob Dole didn't realize Kellon had that many sons...

chagrin
05-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Bob Dole didn't realize Kellon had that many sons...

"There can be only one..."

SCTrojan
05-27-2005, 07:06 AM

Yep. Pretty much what I was thinking. There are too many questions that the writer said were answered by draft picks or signings that have yet to pan out.

Eleazar
05-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Ravens at #7 ROFL

Duck Dog
05-27-2005, 07:32 AM
MN looses Moss and has an off season equal to ours and they are favorites. We still have the leagues #1 offense and added PB type players to our D and they wonder if we can be a contender? F&c( ESPN.

Loss of Randy Moss will impact the offense, but the additions on defense (Pat Williams, Fred Smoot, etc.) should make the Vikings an improved team in 2005 and the favorites in the NFC North.

K.C. was all about defense this offseason (signing Kendrell Bell, trading for Patrick Surtain, drafting Derrick Johnson). But will it be enough to make the Chiefs a contender again?

jspchief
05-27-2005, 07:53 AM
MN looses Moss and has an off season equal to ours and they are favorites. We still have the leagues #1 offense and added PB type players to our D and they wonder if we can be a contender? F&c( ESPN.And they're ignoring the loss of Onterrio Smith for the Vikes. I'll admit that Minnesota may have a slight edge in the defensive talent they added, but they lost two important pieces to their offense. Of course, playing in a weak NFC North may have something to do with also.

I don't mind where we're ranked, but it doesn't jive with the Vikings ranking IMO.

Duck Dog
05-27-2005, 08:00 AM
And they're ignoring the loss of Onterrio Smith for the Vikes. I'll admit that Minnesota may have a slight edge in the defensive talent they added, but they lost two important pieces to their offense. Of course, playing in a weak NFC North may have something to do with also.

I don't mind where we're ranked, but it doesn't jive with the Vikings ranking IMO.

Yep, exactly what I was trying to say.

alpha_omega
05-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Offense (Randy Moss and Lamont Jordan) dominated the offseason. But if the defense isn't any better, the Raiders won't be either.

This was a pleasure to read!

Amnorix
05-27-2005, 08:17 AM
And they're ignoring the loss of Onterrio Smith for the Vikes. I'll admit that Minnesota may have a slight edge in the defensive talent they added, but they lost two important pieces to their offense. Of course, playing in a weak NFC North may have something to do with also.

I agree with this. The Chiefs at 11 is reasonable. The Vikes at #4, with Meathead Tice in charge, is absurd.

Fairplay
05-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Ravens at #7 ROFL

I lauged at that as well. Initially. Then i thought, they really powered towards defense this draft. Defense wins games. Or so they say.
They are really kind of a polar opposite of the Chiefs, they are geared towards D. Chiefs are geared towards offense.

Otter
05-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Last I checked Carl "I haven't been able to put a post-season team together for 16 years but still have a job" Peterson was still running the show.

Doesn't matter if your ranked number 1 or number 32 if that's still the case.

otter
~hopefull but doubtfull

whoman69
05-27-2005, 02:43 PM
I lauged at that as well. Initially. Then i thought, they really powered towards defense this draft. Defense wins games. Or so they say.
They are really kind of a polar opposite of the Chiefs, they are geared towards D. Chiefs are geared towards offense.
The difference is the Ravens already had a good defense and they went for more talent on the defensive side of the ball. If the Chiefs went for more offense while ignoring their D, they would be ranked near the bottom.

beer bacon
05-27-2005, 05:02 PM
The difference is the Ravens already had a good defense and they went for more talent on the defensive side of the ball. If the Chiefs went for more offense while ignoring their D, they would be ranked near the bottom.

They added Mason and drafted Clayton. Their offense would look pretty good if not for Boller.

Bob Dole
05-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Chiefs at number 11?

Clearly they haven't been watching NFLE.

whoman69
05-27-2005, 07:37 PM
They added Mason and drafted Clayton. Their offense would look pretty good if not for Boller.
I think you made your argument and kicked it in the ass in the same statement.

Mastashake
05-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Why is it pre-season NFL power rankings are pointless, but College AP top 25 polls are really accurate?

What do they know in college that they don't know in professional football. I know the competition is tighter, but still...

Mastashake

chiefsfolife
05-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Why is it pre-season NFL power rankings are pointless, but College AP top 25 polls are really accurate?

What do they know in college that they don't know in professional football. I know the competition is tighter, but still...

Mastashake

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...interesting

beer bacon
05-28-2005, 02:06 AM

Mastashake

As a Mizzou Tiger I would say that the College AP top 256 pre-season rankings are not pointless because that is the only time they are ever actually in the top 25.

Rausch
05-28-2005, 02:37 AM
As a Mizzou Tiger I would say that the College AP top 256 pre-season rankings are not pointless because that is the only time they are ever actually in the top 25.

Seems like every year their football team should be $3it they come out and surprise.

And seems like every damned year their Basketball program gets ranked top 20 and then goes on to choke like nobody's business...