|Zach|
05-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Arrowhead is first priority, Hunt says
http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif
By RANDY COVITZ and JEFFREY SPIVAK
The Kansas City Star

After intense public speculation on the fate of the Chiefs, team Chairman Clark Hunt has reaffirmed his commitment to keeping the franchise in this metropolitan area.

In an interview Friday, Hunt made his hopes clear. “Our first priority is at the sports complex,” he said.

If improvements are not made to the Truman Sports Complex, the Chiefs may leave — but he indicated they probably would not go far.

“Our second priority would be to figure out a way to have a facility somewhere else in the metropolitan area, and that includes the Kansas side,” Hunt said.

For the past couple of weeks, a meeting including Hunt and local and state officials in Jefferson City has sent shock waves through the political and sports landscapes.

While the Royals, the Chiefs and Jackson County were lobbying for more money for the stadiums from the state of Missouri earlier this month, some state legislators and local officials remember Hunt saying that unless Kauffman and Arrowhead stadiums were renovated, one or both teams could be gone in 10 years.

This week Hunt was quoted in a story on CBS.SportsLine.com as saying that his statements to legislators were that the team would leave Missouri. Hunt said in the article that he was actually referring to the prospect of the team crossing the state line to Kansas.

Yet, several officials in the Jefferson City meeting have said they inferred that Hunt meant the Chiefs would leave the metropolitan area.

Still, despite any confusion, both Hunt and others agree they want the Chiefs to stay at Arrowhead.

“Our focus is to figure out how to have a successful franchise in Kansas City for the long term,” Hunt said. “We're in discussions with Jackson County and the (Truman Sports Complex's) sports authority trying to solve our situation there first.”

Meanwhile, top Jackson County officials have reiterated their commitment not to let the county's stadium situation get to any point where the teams would look elsewhere to play.

Not only do county officials want to lock up the teams to lease extensions, but also they want to get on with a plan to potentially make the sports complex a year-round attraction with more restaurants and shops.

“At the end of the day, we're going to keep these teams,” Mike Smith, a Lee's Summit insurance executive who is chairman of the sports authority, said Friday. “I'm going to make a deal with these teams. We're going to win this.”

Jackson County has leases with the two teams that expire at the end of 2014. But the leases include lists of repair and maintenance projects that the county must pay for. The projects scheduled for next year, for instance, are estimated to cost $18 million — which exceeds the $9 million that local and state governments contribute every year toward the stadiums.

By the end of next year, then, the county is in danger of defaulting on the leases, which technically could make the teams free agents, able to look elsewhere for a home.

The county and the teams have swung and missed three times this decade in attempts to raise more money — twice with the state government and once through a multicounty bistate tax. So Jackson County leaders now are looking to solve the money problem themselves.
County and local sports officials are considering a November sales tax election to raise funds. They are in talks with the teams about the size and length of that tax.

“We're not going to lose them. Jackson County is not going to lose the Chiefs or the Royals,” Dan Tarwater, chairman of the Jackson County Legislature, said Friday. “Jackson County is going to solve this problem.”
Speculation on the teams possibly leaving has given county and local sports officials a renewed sense of urgency to solve the stadium problem. And that's just fine with Hunt.

Although he lives in Dallas and some local officials wonder whether he has the same commitment to Kansas City as his father, team owner Lamar Hunt, Clark noted that his wife, Tavia, is from the Kansas City area.

“My family loves Kansas City,” Clark Hunt said Friday. “The Chiefs and Kansas City go together, and it's our objective to figure out how to solve the stadium situation in Kansas City first and foremost.”
If that fails, however, Hunt suggested the Kansas side might be a possibility. He has had no dialogue with anyone in Wyandotte and Johnson counties about a possible move. But he has been impressed with the success of Kansas Speedway and the Village West development.

“As I understand it,” Hunt said, “there was an opportunity for the speedway to be built in Missouri, and whoever on the Missouri side didn't pursue it. … As a result Kansas stepped forward, and that facility is over there.”

So far, though, the mayor of Wyandotte County's Unified Government is noncommittal about his government's possible interest in the team.
“There are a lot of things that can be speculated at this point,” said Joe Reardon, the Unified Government's new mayor. “I think Arrowhead Stadium is a great facility. I think the Kansas City Chiefs are a mainstay of our community. I'm committed to making sure they stay here.
“I would like to work cooperatively with the rest of metropolitan leadership to develop a plan on how to approach this.”

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/11758990.htm

Skip Towne
05-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Ah, the Kansas Chiefs. It has a nice ring to it. Wouldn't Frazod have a hissy fit?

Bob Dole
05-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Ah, the Kansas Chiefs. It has a nice ring to it. Wouldn't Frazod have a hissy fit?

Even if they moved to a facility in something other than KCK, Bob Dole seriously doubts that they would change the team name.

See: Irving Cowboys.

Skip Towne
05-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Even if they moved to a facility in something other than KCK, Bob Dole seriously doubts that they would change the team name.

See: Irving Cowboys.
Are you forgetting the New Jersey Giants?

Thig Lyfe
05-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Johnson County would actually be an excellent choice for a new stadium. But all I care about is if they stay in KC.

Bowser
05-28-2005, 05:09 PM
There is no way that the Hunt family gives up the goldmine that is the Kansas City Chiefs fan base.

Thig Lyfe
05-28-2005, 05:13 PM
There is no way that the Hunt family gives up the goldmine that is the Kansas City Chiefs fan base.

Yeah, at least that's what I hope. But history has proven that the people who run pro sports aren't always exactly bright.

mikey23545
05-28-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, at least that's what I hope. But history has proven that the people who run pro sports aren't always exactly bright.

Right now you need to be wondering how bright your politicians and voters are, not pro sports people.

Thig Lyfe
05-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Right now you need to be wondering how bright your politicians and voters are, not pro sports people.

True. But, if Hunt knows what's good for him he'll do everything possible to stay in KC.

whoman69
05-28-2005, 06:27 PM
The Chiefs get the maximum fan support from Arrowhead. Moving into some Perrier and micro brew stadium like in Denver and Washington may help them financially but the team will lose out with the fan base.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-28-2005, 06:32 PM
It's bad enough having my MO tax dollars going to the the Rams. Western Kansas Bronco fans would have a cow

BIG_DADDY
05-28-2005, 06:37 PM
They will never leave the area that's like taking the Packers out of Green Bay.

Dayze
05-28-2005, 09:44 PM
as long as they're in "KC" so to speak I'm ok.

Hell, $20 parking + $60 nosebleed seats (X's 2) + beer/bbg/food.....

I'lll stay home and watch them and save $200, thanks.

BigRedChief
05-28-2005, 10:25 PM
They will never leave the area that's like taking the Packers out of Green Bay.

Yeah, like the Browns out of Clevland, the Colts out of Baltimore....

BIG_DADDY
05-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Yeah, like the Browns out of Clevland, the Colts out of Baltimore....

They pale in comparison. Chiefs fans are a staple and have the best fans in the NFL bar none. LA has the worst fans period.

Logical
05-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Johnson County would actually be an excellent choice for a new stadium. But all I care about is if they stay in KC.

Johnson County Chiefs
Overland Park Chiefs
Lenaxa Chiefs
Olathe Chiefs

Yea those all sound alright.

Bowser
05-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Johnson County Chiefs
Overland Park Chiefs
Lenaxa Chiefs
Olathe Chiefs

Yea those all sound alright.

Shit, and people thought the Chiefs taxed outrageously NOW..........

Luzap
05-29-2005, 12:17 AM
This isn't about the Chiefs, it's about oath-breaking polititians in Missouri. As long as you Missoirians don't hold them responsible, they'll cost you a lot more than your Chiefs.

The Hunt family has a vested interest in KC, but that vested interest is not financial. To think this franchise couldn't do as well or better in another market is just plain naive.

Luz
but go ahead and ignore the problem ~ I can fly to LA cheaper than I can fly to KC anyway...

stevieray
05-29-2005, 12:29 AM
This isn't about the Chiefs, it's about oath-breaking polititians in Missouri. As long as you Missoirians don't hold them responsible, they'll cost you a lot more than your Chiefs.

The Hunt family has a vested interest in KC, but that vested interest is not financial. To think this franchise couldn't do as well or better in another market is just plain naive.

Luz
but go ahead and ignore the problem ~ I can fly to LA cheaper than I can fly to KC anyway...

ouch, Bill. Of course they could make more money in LA.

My guess is they prefer to keep tradition alive and stay @ Arrowhead, I've heard from different people that Lamar is huge on tradition. Considering that CH's wife is from Kc, it makes sense that he has a commitment to this town also. If staying @ Arrowhead isn't viable, I'd bet you'd see Arrowhead on steroids next to the race track.

either way, I'm just glad they are staying.

KChiefs1
05-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Chiefs fans are a staple and have the best fans in the NFL bar none.

You must be pretty young because Cleveland & Baltimore fans were once considered the NFL's best fans in the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's.

memyselfI
05-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Arrowhead is first priority, Hunt says
By RANDY COVITZ and JEFFREY SPIVAK
The Kansas City Star

After intense public speculation on the fate of the Chiefs, team Chairman Clark Hunt has reaffirmed his commitment to keeping the franchise in this metropolitan area.

In an interview Friday, Hunt made his hopes clear. “Our first priority is at the sports complex,” he said.

If improvements are not made to the Truman Sports Complex, the Chiefs may leave — but he indicated they probably would not go far.

“Our second priority would be to figure out a way to have a facility somewhere else in the metropolitan area, and that includes the Kansas side,” Hunt said.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/11758990.htm

I think this statement pretty much guarantees that most Kansas Chiefs fans will NOT support a bi-state tax plan. I think we'd rather see MO fix it themselves and if they can't then let Kansas try.