PDA

View Full Version : Rod Gardner

TRR
05-28-2005, 04:19 PM
What does everyone think of adding Rod Gardner from the Redskins. The Redskins have been trying to trade him, but no teams have stepped up to the plate. He is young, talented, and has had a 1,000 yard season under his belt.

The Washington Redskins have told Gardner to stay away from OTA's, and plan on releasing him according to several Redskin message boards.

Thoughts?

TRR
05-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Rod Gardner page...

http://www.nflplayers.com/players_network/players_network.aspx?id=30105

Bob Dole
05-28-2005, 04:26 PM
If they plan to release him, why would we want to trade?

Deberg_1990
05-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Hes worth a look. But im not sure he fits the profile.

TRR
05-28-2005, 04:31 PM
If they plan to release him, why would we want to trade?

Nobody wants to trade. That's why he will be released June 1st. I believe Gardner will come at a decent price. However, I think Peterson and Vermeil would have to jump on the recruiting front early because I've heard a lot of teams will be interested in him once he is released.

Coogs
05-28-2005, 04:54 PM
TRR,

If we add a WR, Gardner would be a pretty good choice. He has played with some pretty weak QB's in his 4 years in Washington. A young Ramsey, an old Brunell, and a couple of others tossed in as well. Put up some pretty fair numbers in spite of that.

Thig Lyfe
05-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Gardner could be the final piece to the puzzle, actually. All that we need is an upgrade at WR and, if it all comes together, KC will be a serious Super Bowl pick.

Bowser
05-28-2005, 05:07 PM
What is his M.O.? I was under the impression he was more of a "possesion" type receiver. We have plenty of those already. If the kid has some decent wheels, I say why not?

Ralphy Boy
05-28-2005, 05:25 PM
CNNSI 2001 NFL Draft (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/nfldraft/players/31338.html)

Rod Gardner | WR | Clemson | Atlantic Coast Conference
Selected by Washington Redskins in round 1, pick 15 (15 overall)
Height Weight 40 Grade
6'2 217 4.6 8.78
Gardner is a tall, solidly built, physical receiver with excellent size. He lacks blazing speed but is a good athlete who runs well for his size and shows the ability to make deep plays. Gardner shows good concentration with defenders on him, adjusts well to bad balls and has a knack for making acrobatic grabs.

2000 Receiving Statistics
Receptions Receiving Yards Yards Per Reception Touchdowns
58 1050 18.1 7

2000 Rushing Statistics
Rushing Yards Attempts Average per Rush Touchdowns
-1 4 -0.2 0

Apparently not real fast.

TRR
05-28-2005, 05:26 PM
What is his M.O.? I was under the impression he was more of a "possesion" type receiver. We have plenty of those already. If the kid has some decent wheels, I say why not?

He doesn't have blazing speed, but he is known for making plays deep. He's had a couple of TD catches over 50 yards with an 85 yard TD catch his rookie season. His biggest season was in 2002 where he put up just over 1,000 yards and 8 TD's.

I think he came in with a little bit of an attitude problem, and that really rubbed off on Gibbs the wrong way. I'd have an attitude problem too if I went through that QB controversy with Spurrier, etc.

If given the chance, I think Rod Gardner would really fit in nicely in KC. Just a pipe dream right now though.

TRR
05-28-2005, 05:27 PM
When it's all said and done, I would take Gardner over Morton in the 40 yard dash. Especially with Gardner coming in at 6'2 and 215 pounds...the guy is a physical specimen.

ZootedGranny
05-28-2005, 05:32 PM
He has brick hands when it comes to routine passes, but will catch a ball while being cartwheeled through the air. I've never been impressed with him.

Skip Towne
05-28-2005, 05:32 PM
The way to determine if it is a good move is to ask Taco. If he says it's a bad move then do it.

Bowser
05-28-2005, 05:33 PM
He doesn't have blazing speed, but he is known for making plays deep. He's had a couple of TD catches over 50 yards with an 85 yard TD catch his rookie season. His biggest season was in 2002 where he put up just over 1,000 yards and 8 TD's.

I think he came in with a little bit of an attitude problem, and that really rubbed off on Gibbs the wrong way. I'd have an attitude problem too if I went through that QB controversy with Spurrier, etc.

If given the chance, I think Rod Gardner would really fit in nicely in KC. Just a pipe dream right now though.

Outside of experience, how does he stack up to Boerigter? On paper, it seems the two of them are almost the same guy, with Boe having a slight edge in height. They both seem to be that "sneaky fast" type of receiver, and both can make plays deep.

On one hand, Boe knows the offense, and Gardner would have to be a quick learner to come in after June 1 and make a big splash. But, on the other hand, Boe seems to be snake bit with injuries.

What would be the better move?

Wile_E_Coyote
05-28-2005, 05:44 PM
http://extremeskins.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

they make him sound like DA part II & the sequel isn't as good as the original

TRR
05-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Outside of experience, how does he stack up to Boerigter? On paper, it seems the two of them are almost the same guy, with Boe having a slight edge in height. They both seem to be that "sneaky fast" type of receiver, and both can make plays deep.

On one hand, Boe knows the offense, and Gardner would have to be a quick learner to come in after June 1 and make a big splash. But, on the other hand, Boe seems to be snake bit with injuries.

What would be the better move?

One thing Boe and Gardner have in common is a tendency to drop passes. It sounds like Gardner just needs a new situation. I think the main difference between the two is that Gardner has put together a couple of solid seasons, where Boe has just one average season in his resume.

I think the Boe/Gardner comparison starts and ends with size. Other than that, I believe Gardner is by far the better WR.

TRR
05-28-2005, 05:45 PM
http://extremeskins.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

they make him sound like DA part II & the sequel isn't as good as the original

Of course they do. They know he is going to be released. Although in the same breath, they are praying Gardner doesn't end up with the Eagles.

OmahaChief
05-28-2005, 05:51 PM
His nickname in DC is 50-50 becuase he only catches 50% of the balls thrown to him. I think we should pass he is just not consistent.

Wile_E_Coyote
05-28-2005, 06:02 PM
Of course they do. They know he is going to be released. Although in the same breath, they are praying Gardner doesn't end up with the Eagles.poor work ethic, would rather party than practice, doesn't block for damn, nicknamed 50/50 only catches half the passes thrown his way, runs the wrong routes. That does not sound like someone DV would even consider at vet min

unlurking
05-28-2005, 07:11 PM
I guess I may be in the minority here, but I am looking forward to either Parker or Bo being saddled across from Kennison. Throw the other in the slot, and I think we're looking pretty good. Actually, because of his size and the physicality of the slot, I think Bo would be better there, with the primaries being Kennison and Parker. We are a running team, with the best 3 back group in the league (Priest, T-Rich, and LJ). Throw in Gonzo / Dunn / Wilson and I simply don't think we need more weapons than we already have.

Call me optimistic, but I think as soon as we releasr JoMo, our offense is going to be better than last year.

Put me down for the "not interested in ANY WR" camp.

milkman
05-28-2005, 07:18 PM
I guess I may be in the minority here, but I am looking forward to either Parker or Bo being saddled across from Kennison. Throw the other in the slot, and I think we're looking pretty good. Actually, because of his size and the physicality of the slot, I think Bo would be better there, with the primaries being Kennison and Parker. We are a running team, with the best 3 back group in the league (Priest, T-Rich, and LJ). Throw in Gonzo / Dunn / Wilson and I simply don't think we need more weapons than we already have.

Call me optimistic, but I think as soon as we releasr JoMo, our offense is going to be better than last year.

Put me down for the "not interested in ANY WR" camp.

I would agree with you, except that Boe just can't stay healthy.

I'm pretty excited about Parker's potential, but at this point, neither Boe or Parker have proven anything, and it would be nice to a something to fall back on if one, or both, should falter.

Kerberos
05-28-2005, 08:01 PM
The way to determine if it is a good move is to ask Taco. If he says it's a bad move then do it.

Denver is in the market for WR's with ability to tackle as well catch the ball. With Plummer out there slinging passes up for grabs they need a player that can do both. :D

milkman
05-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Denver is in the market for WR's with ability to tackle as well catch the ball. With Plummer out there slinging passes up for grabs they need a player that can do both. :D

Troy Brown would have been the perfect fit for them.

Rausch
05-28-2005, 08:07 PM
He has brick hands when it comes to routine passes, but will catch a ball while being cartwheeled through the air.

Between Willie Davis, Chris Penn, and Johnny Morton I think we've had more than our share of that type of player...

Rausch
05-28-2005, 08:08 PM

I'm pretty excited about Parker's potential, but at this point, neither Boe or Parker have proven anything, and it would be nice to a something to fall back on if one, or both, should falter.

Parker has proven he has big play ability and good hands.

He just hasn't proven he can CONSISTENTLY do so...

Skip Towne
05-28-2005, 08:15 PM

They should make Plummint take tackling drills. Usually he's close to the guy that intercepts. Sometimes when he throws left handed he's within 5 yards.

unlurking
05-28-2005, 08:29 PM

I agree about Bo, but I'm really hoping he steps up this year. We really need him on special teams at a minimum.

We also have Chris Horn (who I thought looked pretty good last year), Richard Smith (pre-season phenom), Dante Hall (good ol' standby), and Kris Wilson (still an unknown, but may see 1 wide sets). I know Craphonso hasn't looked too good in OTAs, but TC may help him a lot.

Considering we are a running team, I think we have more than enough depth at WR, and I'm willing to spend PT to get these guys better developed rather than bringing in someone else's cast offs.

milkman
05-28-2005, 08:49 PM
I agree about Bo, but I'm really hoping he steps up this year. We really need him on special teams at a minimum.

We also have Chris Horn (who I thought looked pretty good last year), Richard Smith (pre-season phenom), Dante Hall (good ol' standby), and Kris Wilson (still an unknown, but may see 1 wide sets). I know Craphonso hasn't looked too good in OTAs, but TC may help him a lot.

Considering we are a running team, I think we have more than enough depth at WR, and I'm willing to spend PT to get these guys better developed rather than bringing in someone else's cast offs.

I thought about Horn (who I think can be a Ricky Proehl type) and Smith, but they, like Parker and Boe are still question marks.

As for Dante, I don't see him ever being more than a gimmick at WR.

And Wilson, for all the hype from the Chiefs is still nothing more than a fast TE (H-Back) or slow receiver.

jspchief
05-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Gardner is certainly better than the list of cast-off bums that have been discussed here in the last few months. I'm sure his price tag will reflect it. I doubt we have the money, since we are currently over the cap, and still need to make room for our rookie contracts.

LiL stumppy
05-28-2005, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't mind having him. He would still be good at the 3rd WR part. Its not really a big deal though,I think Parker has a chance in starting and will put up fairly good numbers.

Dayze
05-28-2005, 09:47 PM
the chiefs don't have the jack ($) to get him; or any other starter at this point, IMO. That is, unless they free ups some cash (Woods, Morton, Maz, etc). And even then, i would doubt it.

TRR
05-28-2005, 10:45 PM
the chiefs don't have the jack ($) to get him; or any other starter at this point, IMO. That is, unless they free ups some cash (Woods, Morton, Maz, etc). And even then, i would doubt it.

Your completely wrong. After June 1st, KC will have the money to add a couple of FA's on the money they will save with the release of Johnnie Morton alone.

Rausch
05-28-2005, 11:04 PM

Not to pick nits, but Green was 2nd in the NFL last year in passing yards.

We throw the ball a little too...

mikey23545
05-29-2005, 07:06 AM

The only way he can prove it is to get to play CONSISTENTLY...

unlurking
05-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Not to pick nits, but Green was 2nd in the NFL last year in passing yards.

We throw the ball a little too...
True, but then why would we need a new receiver if we have such a great passing game already?

bricks
05-29-2005, 08:53 AM

I wouldn't go that far as to saying he proved it. He showed flashes of big play ability and good hands. Of course, he was injured for most of the year, and the Chiefs used him too late in the year. Only time will tell if he can prove he has the big play ability and good hands. if he does those things on a consistent basis, then we can say he is proven. Don't get me wrong, he did those things last year. all I'm saying is, the Chiefs used him very late in the year, and because of that, he had very minimal games to show us what he really is all about. Like I said earlier, only time will tell.

Coogs
05-29-2005, 09:12 AM
I guess I may be in the minority here, but I am looking forward to either Parker or Bo being saddled across from Kennison.

I was thinking more long term than short. I was thinking Parker across from Gardner.

CoMoChief
05-29-2005, 09:42 AM
I think were done getting players. I thought DV said we have spent all of our $$$.

CHIEF4EVER
05-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I think were done getting players. I thought DV said we have spent all of our $$$.

He did indeed say that. I think there is still a chance that JoMo could be back on a reworked deal after June 1. I'd be OK with that.

unlurking
05-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Ahh. Guess I just don't see any WRs that will be available as being much better than Morton.

chagrin
05-29-2005, 11:08 AM
My 2 cents - seems like every year people are yiping about us drafting a WR, defense neded or not. This guy has good size and good natural talent, he's been coached by the Skins for the past few years. We would provide him better coaching and in this offense he would instantly upgrade our WR corps. Why isn't he worht a look to some of you? Of course, if the money isn't there, it isn't there...

milkman
05-29-2005, 02:13 PM
The only way he can prove it is to get to play CONSISTENTLY...

It is my hope that he does get to play, and he does prove that he can play at a high level consistently.

I woould just like to have a vet in place, however, just in case.

TRR
05-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Vermeil knows next to nothing in regards to what KC has to spend. Peterson and Thumb are the two credible sources in that regard.