PDA

View Full Version : We could always use a little more Royals news.

sondevil
05-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Sweeney wants Royals to trade him to Angels

San Gabriel Valley Tribune
May. 29, 2005 12:00 AM

Anaheim - Mike Sweeney would like to be an Angel so much, he'd even consider giving up $4.5 million to make it happen.

Sweeney, the Kansas City Royals first baseman/designated hitter, said Friday he's prepared for his small-market club to put him on the trading block soon, and the Angels are one of eight teams to which he could be traded without his consent. Angel Stadium would be his preferred destination.

"With Arte Moreno owning the team, you have a chance to win every year," Sweeney said. "You have the guy at the top, and everything flows from there. For me to come to Anaheim, I'd love it. In the major leagues, it's not always the paychecks, glitz and glamour. It's about winning."

The Angels, last in the major leagues in on-base percentage and 11th in the American League in home runs, could use the four-time All-Star's bat, but it would come at a significant cost. He is due about $11 million per season through 2007 and has a contract clause that states he'll receive an additional $1.5 million per year if traded.

Bowser
05-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Wow. That was a not so subtle blast across the bow at David Glass. Can't say I blame him, though.

CHIEF4EVER
05-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Does this surprise anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Valiant
05-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Wow. That was a not so subtle blast across the bow at David Glass. Can't say I blame him, though.

He has been asking for a trade since the year started... When we didnt bring in more Vets he wanted out...

alanm
05-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Hell, If I was Sweeney I'd want out too. :(

Marco Polo
05-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Definitely; Can't blame the guy.

Do you think the Royals will spend some $$ in the offseason ala Detroit?

I'm a Cardinals fan, just wondering how the owner is. It seems he's (or they) a tightarse.

Baby Lee
05-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Someone need to take this franchise out fishing on the estate lake.

alanm
05-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Someone need to take this franchise out fishing on the estate lake.
Don't forget the concrete anchors. ROFL

HemiEd
05-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Good bye Mike, I am very sympathetic to your 11 million pains.

On another note, they are going to really hit rock bottom with him gone but it should give another young guy a chance to grow up with others.

4th and Long
05-29-2005, 04:58 PM
they are going to really hit rock bottom with him gone
You mean, they haven't hit rock bottom yet? :eek:

They just lost ANOTHER 1 run game BTW. ROFL

HemiEd
05-29-2005, 05:06 PM
You mean, they haven't hit rock bottom yet? :eek:

They just lost ANOTHER 1 run game BTW. ROFL

Rock bottom is even worse than that, sorry to say. Sweeney is someone to go watch. How many fans are the Royals drawing on average now?
On the brite side, if these kids prove their talent out, the Royals could make a run at the playoffs in a couple of years.
Damn I miss EK!

Mr. Laz
05-29-2005, 05:07 PM
seems to me that the royals have a better record when sweeney is hurt.

:shrug: just seems like it

CoMoChief
05-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Yup, waiting for NFL to start up again.

HemiEd
05-29-2005, 05:10 PM
seems to me that the royals have a better record when sweeney is hurt.

:shrug: just seems like it

And that has been pretty often the last few years. Could be true Laz, that would be an interesting statistic to know.
I was listening on ESPN radio, the talk of the White Sox going after him. They ended up by saying that he is injury prone. Duh.

beavis
05-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Good bye Mike, I am very sympathetic to your 11 million pains.

On another note, they are going to really hit rock bottom with him gone but it should give another young guy a chance to grow up with others.
Yeah, he's willing to give up a few million, what a saint.

I think Huber will make a lot of people forget who Mike Sweeney was next year.

gblowfish
05-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Wow. That was a not so subtle blast across the bow at David Glass. Can't say I blame him, though.What'll it be, Mr. Wal Mart? Does he stay or does he go???