PDA

View Full Version : Electric Smoker--rib question

Infidel Goat
05-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Okay. I bought an Brinkman electric smoker yesterday and I'm about to baptize it with three racks of baby back ribs.

FWIW, I've got a few larger hickory chips thrown in with the lava rocks and I will obviously add water at 2+ hours. I'm also using a dry rub I just through together.

Anyone who has used an electric smoker want to guestimate how many hours they will take?

I know. I know. When the meat easily pulls away from the bone . . . still a guess would be helpful.

Thanks,
Infidel Goat

Skip Towne
05-30-2005, 10:27 AM
You will likely be drawn and quartered for using an electric smoker. It is sinful to do so.

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Don't sweat using an electric smoker... if I had the money I'd have one. As it is, I'm kinda poor, so I have a propane smoker and I LOVE it... the flavor comes from the wood, not the charcoal. Good luck!

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Since I didn't answer your question, here you go... keep the temperature low... 200-225 degrees. My guess is you'll end up smoking for about 6 hours. BUT, the important thing is to smoke it until it has the desired look, then wrap it in tin foil. Don't forget to mop it with something (beer, apple juice, BBQ sauce, etc.) or they'll be dry.

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Here's a good guide for ya... adjust with the electric smoker you have, but this should get you going...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

Phobia
05-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't know why the peeps with electric and propane smokers don't just do their ribs in the oven. Pussies.

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't know why the peeps with electric and propane smokers don't just do their ribs in the oven. Pussies.
Because unfortunately, some of us do not have the time to keep the extra eye on the charcoal and the heat... dickhead.

j/k, (in case you were wondering)...

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Don't you have a truck and a cell phone to be looking for?

chop
05-30-2005, 04:46 PM
I just got finished cooking some ribs on the stove. Tasted pretty good. I didn't have the time to cook them on the grill. It was the first time I have ever tried to cook ribs this way and I was very surprised with the way they turned out nice and tender.

Flame away.

Phobia
05-30-2005, 04:47 PM
I just got finished cooking some ribs on the stove. Tasted pretty good. I didn't have the time to cook them on the grill. It was the first time I have ever tried to cook ribs and I was very surprised with the way they turned out nice and tender.

Flame away.

That's wonderful. I'm sure you'll make someone a nice little wife someday.

chop
05-30-2005, 04:50 PM
I knew I could get you worked up.

chop
05-30-2005, 04:50 PM
I boiled the ribs and boy were they tender and moist.

htismaqe
05-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Seriously, I don't understand the thing everybody says about adding water or basting the meat in liquid.

I NEVER use liquid in my smoker, and I don't even put finishing mop on the meat, yet it's always moist. I don't even have problems with chicken drying out.

About 8 hours at 225 and it's all good.

Skip Towne
05-30-2005, 06:28 PM
YES! I knew it. Drawn and quartered.

Infidel Goat
05-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Well...

4 1/2 hours total on the electric smoker. I added beer (Bass Ale from one of those mini-kegs they are selling in my local grocery store) to the remaining water mixture at 2 1/2 hours.

I won't claim my product was the best set of ribs I've ever tasted, but it was far and away the best barbecue I've had in North Carolina. Of course, North Carolina has no idea what they are doing with barbecue.

FWIW, I have tried doing ribs on low heat in my oven (and finishing them on the grill before). It's just not the same.

The electric grill is easily sixty of the best dollars I've spent in my life. Great lazy man ribs.

Thanks for both the advice and taunting.

--Infidel Goat

htismaqe
05-31-2005, 04:51 AM
Well...

4 1/2 hours total on the electric smoker. I added beer (Bass Ale from one of those mini-kegs they are selling in my local grocery store) to the remaining water mixture at 2 1/2 hours.

I won't claim my product was the best set of ribs I've ever tasted, but it was far and away the best barbecue I've had in North Carolina. Of course, North Carolina has no idea what they are doing with barbecue.

FWIW, I have tried doing ribs on low heat in my oven (and finishing them on the grill before). It's just not the same.

The electric grill is easily sixty of the best dollars I've spent in my life. Great lazy man ribs.

Thanks for both the advice and taunting.

--Infidel Goat

You in Carolina? :D

Seriously, here's a tip to help with moisture that doesn't involve water or beer - put mustard on your meat before you put on your rub. No, your meat won't taste like mustard, so don't worry about it (although I hear mustard sauce is all the rage down there :D) The mustard will evaporate slightly, but the vinegar and citric acid in the mustard will break down the meat like a marinade would and the rub then will penetrate further, sealing in moisture.

Kerberos
05-31-2005, 06:17 AM

Seriously, here's a tip to help with moisture that doesn't involve water or beer - put mustard on your meat before you put on your rub. No, your meat won't taste like mustard, so don't worry about it (although I hear mustard sauce is all the rage down there :D) The mustard will evaporate slightly, but the vinegar and citric acid in the mustard will break down the meat like a marinade would and the rub then will penetrate further, sealing in moisture.

Why wouldn't you just rub some basalsmic vinegar on your ribs first?

you get the vinegar for breaking down the meat and a little wood flavoring at the same time?

I've used that method for my ribs for years and they are usually fall off the bone tender and it gives a taste like NO other. IMO

:D

dirk digler
05-31-2005, 07:19 AM

you get the vinegar for breaking down the meat and a little wood flavoring at the same time?

I've used that method for my ribs for years and they are usually fall off the bone tender and it gives a taste like NO other. IMO

Interesting I might try that.

I smoked my very first food on Sunday and it was a brisket. Man was it good. I cooked it for 7 1/2 hrs and the meat just pulled off. I used a mixture of mustard and vinegar and few other items and then put the rub on.

I have to say it was pretty darn good.

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2005, 07:26 AM

Mustard is a Carolina BBQ thing, but did you not read the part where he said they don't have the foggiest idea how to do BBQ down there? It's because of the mustard and vinegar. :shake:

htismaqe
05-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Mustard is a Carolina BBQ thing, but did you not read the part where he said they don't have the foggiest idea how to do BBQ down there? It's because of the mustard and vinegar. :shake:

Umm...there's a big difference between putting mustard on the meat before you smoke and putting it on after you smoke. :rolleyes:

Several top finishers at the American Royal put mustard on their meat PRIOR to cooking it...

htismaqe
05-31-2005, 12:59 PM

:hmmm:

I don't know if balsamic vinegar would leave an aftertaste on the meat...I guess it depends on whether or not you like balsamic vinegar. I don't, personally.

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Umm...there's a big difference between putting mustard on the meat before you smoke and putting it on after you smoke. :rolleyes:
Umm... I know. :rolleyes: But the big difference between North Carolina BBQ and everywhere else is the mustard on the meat (before cooking, I'm not a dipshit) and the vinegar-based sauce.

mlyonsd
05-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Fall off the bone ribs are simple. Smoke/cook them anyway you want and then wrap them in aluminum foil and put them back on the smoker or in the oven at about 225 for at least 2 hours. It's the steam stupid.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Fall off the bone ribs are simple. Smoke/cook them anyway you want and then wrap them in aluminum foil and put them back on the smoker or in the oven at about 225 for at least 2 hours. It's the steam stupid.

Food Network BBQ competition I saw them wrapping them 1st putting them back in after 2 hours at 225 for an additional hour. Is this the wrong way to do it?

mlyonsd
05-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Food Network BBQ competition I saw them wrapping them 1st putting them back in after 2 hours at 225 for an additional hour. Is this the wrong way to do it?

I'd say as long as they get steamed somewhere in the process you'd get the same result. I like to smoke mine unwrapped for about 4 hours, wrap them in foil and put them back on for 2-3 more. At that point they're so tender it's hard to keep them together when taking them out of the foil.

But I still like to slather them in sauce/honey and grill them for a couple of minutes to carmalize the sauce/honey. I like'em tender and blackened a bit, but that's just me.

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
I'd say as long as they get steamed somewhere in the process you'd get the same result. I like to smoke mine unwrapped for about 4 hours, wrap them in foil and put them back on for 2-3 more. At that point they're so tender it's hard to keep them together when taking them out of the foil.

But I still like to slather them in sauce/honey and grill them for a couple of minutes to carmalize the sauce/honey. I like'em tender and blackened a bit, but that's just me.
That seems a little overdone for my taste. I like 'em the way "they" say to do them, which is to do the pull test on them. Meaning, you should be able to grab two bones and pull apart. With a LITTLE resistance they'll pull away from the bone if done correctly. And that is really the best way to test them... the pull test. But a little blackened and caramelized sauce is definitely the way to go!

htismaqe
05-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Umm... I know. :rolleyes: But the big difference between North Carolina BBQ and everywhere else is the mustard on the meat (before cooking, I'm not a dipshit) and the vinegar-based sauce.

Carolina and Georgia BBQ is characterized by putting a mustard/vinegar sauce on the meat AFTER cooking.

Many, many types of BBQ, not just Carolina/Georgia, put mustard on the meat before cooking it. It imparts ZERO mustard flavor to the meat.

htismaqe
05-31-2005, 01:28 PM
That seems a little overdone for my taste. I like 'em the way "they" say to do them, which is to do the pull test on them. Meaning, you should be able to grab two bones and pull apart. With a LITTLE resistance they'll pull away from the bone if done correctly. And that is really the best way to test them... the pull test. But a little blackened and caramelized sauce is definitely the way to go!

Do you use foil at all? Because I don't, and I don't really have a problem with tenderness.

I'm wondering if it's really a "necessary" step.

Fire Me Boy!
05-31-2005, 01:32 PM
Do you use foil at all? Because I don't, and I don't really have a problem with tenderness.

Depends on how hot you cook to begin with... if I sear them first with a 250-275 degree smoker, then yeah... otherwise they get TOO blackened. But if I start with a 200-225 degree smoker then not usually. I just keep an eye on them after three hours or so... once I get them looking the way I want them, then I'll do a pull test and see how close we are. If they're close, I'll just let them go. If they have a couple more hours to go then I'll wrap them.

mlyonsd
05-31-2005, 01:33 PM

Everyone has their own tastes.

Take my brother, his ribs are so tough you need a dremmel tool to get the meat off. But he likes'em that way I guess.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 01:33 PM

Funny you should say that. On the Food Network when they were talking to people in a BBQ contest one of the contestants said "There are those that wrap their ribs in foil and those that lie about not doing it"

ptlyon
05-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Blah, blah, bla bla blah.

mlyonsd
05-31-2005, 01:36 PM

I think it depends on the quality of the ribs. You should try it once just to see if you like it.

mlyonsd
05-31-2005, 01:38 PM
I knew it would only be a matter of minutes.

htismaqe
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
Funny you should say that. On the Food Network when they were talking to people in a BBQ contest one of the contestants said "There are those that wrap their ribs in foil and those that lie about not doing it"

Interesting. I think I'll try it this weekend.

BIG_DADDY
05-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Interesting. I think I'll try it this weekend.

Let me know how it comes out in comparison.

htismaqe
05-31-2005, 02:18 PM
FYI, I got the idea for using a mustard on my ribs from a book by Paul Kirk.

http://www.baron-of-bbq.com/

He claims to have gotten the idea from a friend of Rich Davis, the inventor of KC Masterpiece.